Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
nineveh

The Bow & Crown of Conquest

And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.

Nobility and haughtiness befitting the Antichrist: sage, carnation and cedar with lavender, vanilla, white musk and leather.

My first impression is Torture King without the sharp bourbon note.

Is this the first white musk and leather blend? It's certainly an interesting combination. They're both acting as base notes, but with one hot and dark and the other thick and light. It makes this blend feel very dense to me.

The vanilla is also apparent. This blend is a little bit spicy, sweet, and smoky. None of the other notes are prominent, which is a surprise with the lavender.

Also, if this is the scent of the Antichrist, I want to get in his pants.

I agree that this is a very dense scent. It's sort of like there's too many scents at first to even be able to break through to identify them.

I get leather, and musk. Which is sort of dusty and warm smelling together. In the back is vanilla, which gradually makes its way out. There is also a hint of sharpness, which is lavander I guess.

I was expecting something sexy, but this is really very mellow. Much more of a cozy up on a cold day with a cup of cocoa and the necronomicon. haha, I mean, it certainly has an air of evil too it, sort of a smug man, oozing of insence and leather, and who has been eating vanilla bonbons?

I like it! I think it will grow on me.

Edited by Lucretia

So far I have been very pleased with all of the Come and See scents. This and Death on a Pale Horse are definite big bottle purchases for me.

Leather usually makes me feel rather ill, as it is often too cold on my skin, but the leather in The Bow & Crown of Conquest is attractively warm and spicy.

The leather stays in the background here and the other notes seem to rest upon it, with the lavender and vanilla being the strongest on me. I can smell hints of sage, carnation, and cedar in the background, making the blend spicier and more complex. It's just delicious. Leather, vanilla, and lavender make an interesting and wonderful combination.

This blend is hot, sexy, and manly. I would do anything for a man who was wearing this scent :P

The Bow & Crown of Conquest is so good. It's got elements of some of my favorites---Dorian, Morocco, and Old Scratch---plus leather. :P The leather here is almost a sugared leather, and the sage and carnation are so well blended. This is very smooth.

I am so glad I went straight to the bottle with this blend. This is the kind of BPAL that I will wear, I will coerce my boyfriend to wear, and I will use to enable others. There is something rugged but tender about it, like a cowboy holding a kitten.

I loooove this.

I don't really like many of the notes in this on their own, but you never know what things are going to do when they get together.

This reminds me initially of a lighter Tombstone -- not as cedary, but there's that strange vanilla and leather thing going on. I am not wild about the leather note if it's too strong, but it adds a nice warm masculine touch in small amounts.

Lavender and vanilla and this masculine musky scent together do remind me of Old Scratch as well but not as incensy and fragrant. This scent stays at a low, sultry simmer.

This has all the swagger of Tombstone but instead of wearing chaps he's sliding into the saloon wearing a long Victorian coat and has a carnation in his lapel. Boy this does really come across as a Western scent doesn't it?

The verdict for me is that it's too leathery, and while I can dig that in certain super-woody blends, in this particular one it is a little too cowboy but I think it would be great for guys, or girls who like leathery vanilla combos.

I was very excited about this one, and yay, it is here!

I slathered it on this morning and it was instant super cologne! Eieeee. The leather note morphed into something really weird & funky, just like Les Infortunes did on me. Like the smell of vinyl furniture in a heavy smoker's house. A few minutes later it started to smell like pizza sauce. :D

I swear I'm not making this up!

I went & reread the notes for this, then went & put more on. Suddenly & magically, it fixed itself. The second application didn't go all funky & it started to smell more like the notes. It became very woodsy & slightly spicy. The cedar & lavender & carnation were the most obvious at the wet stage. As this began to dry, the vanilla & musk notes took over for the flowers. NOW I am totally in love.

This is like the bastard child of an orgy between Golden Priapus, Dee and Les Infortunes de la Vertu. Sexy and warm and woodsy and UNGH. Liquid sex in a bottle.

I'll give you my crown of conquest, baby. :P

I've been looking foreward to this one! When first applied, it's very cologne like ... the sage, ceader and lavender are the strongest to my nose while the oil is still wet. As it begins to dry, I get a slight whiff of carnation, and the leather comes out more clearly. When completely dry, I mostly smell vanilla and white musk, with a little leather in the backround. Very nice! Could be worn by a man or a woman, I think. May need a 5ml of this one ...

I love this scent!

At first the sage, ceader and lavender are the strongest, and it was slightly medicinal, almost men's aftershave smelling, but that quickly disapears as it dries.

The vanilla, carnation, and leather notes are all I could smell after 15 minutes or so... :P

In Bottle: Cedar and sage.

On Skin: I don’t like this much in the bottle, but I have to try it based on the description alone. On the skin… delicious. I want my man to wear this, yes it’s VERY masculine. The leather comes out as a strong note and the musk offers a sexy depth. Normally I don’t like lavender or carnation scents, but here they compliments the other notes well and are a bit light. Oh my, this scent is sooooo sexy!!! I am talking my husband into wearing this tonight without a doubt.

bowandcrown.jpg

This one is all man. Hot leather and a lilt of menthol-like background leave no room for feminine designs. Lavender and some form of manly flower (carnations) bring up the rear. If there is vanilla in Bow and Crown, it must be cowering in the corner, because I certainly can't smell it. How could it get through this herbal/mentholy/leathery defense? There is also a spicy kick to Bow and Crown (the aforementioned carnation I think) and it reminds me strongly of Geek which was a great entry from Carnival Noir. Bow and Crown is stronger and more assertive than I think Geek was.

Bow and Crown is exceptionally long lasting and I highly recommend this one for the lad in your life.

In the imp: Leather and lavender... kind of a strange combination.

On: The lavender fades quickly on my skin, which is definitely a bonus for me. I can smell the vanilla and the slightest hint of white musk sweetening it up; and if take a huge, deep sniff - the vanilla really makes itself apparent, with a little carnation thrown in for good measure. I never smell the cedar or sage at all, and the sweet notes become more prominent on my skin as the scent dries down. My chemistry tends to sweeten anything I put on it, so it's probably not as masculine on me as it is on other people.

I think I really like this one. I'm getting an image of a bad boy with a heart of gold - wearing a leather jacket while baking cookies. Or better yet, giving me a foot massage with vanilla lotion.

It'd be great on a guy, but hell, it's fabulous enough on ME. :P

In the bottle: Lavender and Leather

Wearing: This smells like Old Scratch with leather added! It's that same lavender-vanilla- with a slight musk and woodiness. At first I am in love, like I haven't been with a bpal in quite some time.

But then THE LEATHER. As I've mentioned many times before, my skin amps leather like crazy and it takes over nearly every blend I've tried with it and they ALL end up smelling the same on me. (And though I love the lab's leather note, I'm not a big fan of leather-only scents.)

I was just about to write this off, but then...... the leather retreated somewhat! It still dominates, but it has actually let some of the other notes creep back in around the edges. I'm actually getting a bit of peppery carnation now, and more vanilla, with the lavender, musk, cedar combo strengthening back up a bit.

I've gone from selling the imp to thinking I may need a bottle of this.

And for all you boys out there - buy this.

Edited by wolfie13

Also, if this is the scent of the Antichrist, I want to get in his pants.

Ok, that cracked me up, and gave me high hopes for this scent.

But oh, that antichrist, he's a tricksy one, and I didn't, sadly, get the same scent at all.

In the imp, I sniffed and guessed at notes. Sage? Check. Musk? check. But what is that naggingly familiar scent? Vanilla? Probably, but what else? I was pleased to see I'd guess right, but then I saw leather. Uh oh. Its sad, but BPAL leather almost never works on me--my skin amps it up like crazy too.

so I put it on, and for one glorious moment I had the blend everyone was talking about. then it went straight leather. Now smells like all the leather blends do on me--just leather.

Sad.

Maybe I'll try it on the boyfriend and see if it smells different on him.

In the bottle - My immediate reaction is that it smells like a Lynx product, but also a little like Tombstone, which is a favourite of mine.

Wet on me - The leather note is most prominant with the lavender visible (?) in the background.

Dry on me - This is a very close sibling of Anthony(unsurprising when you look at some of the notes). On me it's dry musky leather with a bitter greeness from the sage. Anthony is on the top of my 'I like it, but do I need more' pile and The Bow and Crown of Conquest joins it there.

I nearly ordered a bottle of this unsniffed, since everything in it I absolutely love...

...except leather.

I'm glad I decided to go for the imp. The first sniff was eyes-rolling-back-in-head good, so I slathered it on the back of my hand. And then the leather came out in full force... not bad, just overpowering everything else. I just don't particularly like smelling like leather. So I will definitely keep the imp around, since it still smells yummy, but not the sweet creamy herbal I was hoping for. I will try it a few more times, just to make sure it wasn't a one-time thing with the leather.

This on a guy would probably put me at his mercy, but I'm not sure it's quite so good on me. :D I get the feeling this may be a pillowcase scent, like Oisin. :P

Rating (on skin): 4/5

Summarised in a word or two: Smoky spices.

In the imp: Cedar smoothed out by vanilla, sage and musk.

On skin, wet: I'm already in love with this. Smooth, woodsy, spicy and herbal all at once. Confusing, but divinely so.

On skin, dry: Smoky. Much sharper and muskier, but still gorgeous. It is fairly masculine, though; I'm not sure if I'd like to smell like this.

Conclusion: Yes indeed, this one is a winner. No sign of lavender, which surprises me, as my skin loves to amp lavender. All the same, it might be too heavy for me to want to wear myself... I may have to save this imp in my "to try on a boything when I next find one" pile.

Edited by Aredhel

A bow of spicy wood, a crown of golden vanilla and musk. This blend has conqured my senses.

Before I refreshed my memory of the actual notes of this blend, I would have sworn that it was woods (the cedar, clearly, and possibly the sage and carnation and even the leather), tonka and amber (the vanilla, and probably the musk and that leather again, if I had to guess).

It is very evocative of both Tombstone and Golden Priapus, two which I like quite a bit, but this is much more complex to me...a darker, more evocative blend, which tells me a story as I wear it. I cannot wait to smell this one on the hubby, too, as the two scents above are both divine...

Wet - leather and sage. Hmmm, this could be interesting

Dry - somewhere between leather and band-aids. I never get the carnation, cedar, lavender or vanilla. I will try one more time, it case it's a chemistry thing, but this just doesn't work on me.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2 .

On first application, this is all cedar and leather, but the vanilla comes into play almost immediately after that. Rawr. The musk isn't strong on me, but I definitely catch hints of it, as well as the floral notes, which are faint. After a while, the blend gets a little smoky, and the carnation gets a little stronger as well.

Overall, however, this is masculine and damn sexy. I'm sucker for BPAL's leather notes, and this doesn't disappoint. I love this blend, and I definitely want a bottle.

In the imp: Cedar right up front, with white musk.

On, wet: First impression is of the leather; combined with the cedar and musk and the very light vanilla, it smells oddly like sandalwood, one of my faves. There doesn't seem to be enough lavender at the front of this blend to do the lavender thing on me and go all sour, so that's good.

Drydown: It sweetens on the drydown, but not too much so; it's still primarily a woody, savory kind of blend.

Of the Come and See blends, this and Death on a Pale Horse are my favorites.

i adore so many notes in this

carnation, cedar , vanilla, white musk and leather

so i was excited to get some.

in the vial: cedar, lavander, and musk

wet: musk, cedar, w/ a touch of lavander

as it dries it becomes a musky cedar, w/ a slight touch of vanilla & leather. this is incredibly sexy. i already ordered a 5ml, and i am glad. this i believe could be for gals, or guys. it is great on me, but i really realy wanna smell it on the boy. what a great scent

Edited by shelldoo

I was really curious how these scents would smell together and at first I get a strong whiff of cedar. When I pull back from this scent it leaves a lingering, slightly burn in my nose. As I lean back in the sweetness hits me first.

Really, this almost smells like warm cotton laundry, fresh out of the dryer. It has a very "dryer sheets" smell to me. How disappointing.

This is definitely a smell that I catch as I move away from my wrist, not as I'm there sniffing. When I lean in close I don't feel like I pick up on much of anything!

The cedar is definitely still there. And there it stays.

I actually got this one for my husband to try and I was surprised at how much I like it. It smells warm and rugged, masculine but not too much--the vanilla tempers it. It smelled woderful on both of us. He skin amped up the vanilla whereas mine grabbed onto the leather a little more. I'll be getting a big bottle of this!

The Bow and Crown of Conquest

In the imp: soft creamy lavender with a hint of leather.

Wet on skin: the lavender is still there but the leather comes out more on the skin, as does the solid wooden scent of cedar, a pinch of sage and carnation, and a gorgeous vanilla and white musk background.

Dry on skin: oh wow. This is effin' gorgeous! This is both sexy and soothing-the sexy bit is definitely the leather, warm and deep, with a bit of cedar. The soothing bit is the gentle lavender and sweet vanilla-musk, with a hint of carnation and sage. It's both sweet and rich, comforting yet confident. it's along similar lines to Dorian, in that it's a sexy vanilla-musk scent which can be worn by both men and women alike. I can't stop sniffing myself!

After a while: wow, the vanilla musk just gets better over time! The sweet vanilla and white musk with a hint of carnation rest nicely on the dark leather, making for a truly delightful scent. I think I just had a nosegasm there! It reminds me of Dorian but with leather instead of tea, and the carnation-musk also gives it a very slight resemblance to Morocco. I adore this stage, and it seems to last, and I keep getting wafts of this amazing vanilla-musk every now and then when I don't sniff my arm.

Verdict: just as GSoW was 13's evil twin, then this is Dorian's evil twin! I never knew the Antichrist could smell so sexy and delicious! This is a fabulous mix of soft vanilla and white musk with lavender and a little bit of carnation, but with a rich undertone of cedar and deep black leather. It's delectable and seductive, and very unisex, but I also find it very soothing and a great comfort scent (I think it's an association I have with leather-my mum has a leather couch, which is the perfect thing to chill out on. That's probably why…along with the vanilla-musk). as the scent dries down though, the vanilla musk becomes even better, and coupled with the leather, the scent is delicious! I need to get a bottle of this fabulous fragrance.

I got samples of all four to find out which of the horsemen I am. It's fun experiment for the week. Starting in order of appearance:

Vanilla. I nearly jammed my nose into the imp to find the leather. I must be ill or I just can't smell leather in liquid form. Heh.

On me, it's vanilla, sharp florals and there, hiding in back is the leather.

Now, does Mack like it?

http://www.weblogimages.com/v.p?uid=ksprit...&sid=bns00dMST1

This is Mack

Mack is fairly picky. Stuff he likes he'll try to lick off me before I leave the house. Stuff he does not he sneezes at and douses my arm with dog snot.

He gave it quick sniffs and then turned his nose up at it while it was still wet. Once it dried down about an hour later, he thought about licking it off.

At first I was really unsure about it. It's nice but it's not me. I'm not against it but it won't go into heavy rotation.