Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
rosered

Lump of Coal

This is the truly sinful scent of a sticky, thick, dark and rich fudge brownie.

I didn't buy Lump of Coal when it came out because the configuration in which is was sold was a bit too expensive for me but I've been dying to try it. I was lucky enough to get an imp of it in a swap and although it's great, like all cocoa blends it doesn't last long on me, half an hour at the most, so I'm just as glad I didn't get the bottle. Can't add much to what has already been said here, it smells exactly like brownies, hot out of the oven. Maybe walnut brownies. Absolutely delish :P !

<3

Simply, <3.

Rich fudge, and the warmth of other brownie goodies. Sweeter on me than bliss, and inspired wrist nibbling by friends, unexpectedly

First sniff: Yup… brownie batter. Not straight chocolate like Bliss, or baked goods like Gluttony, but thick, gooey brownie batter.

Wearing: Dangit, now I’m hungry again.

In the imp: Brownie batter.

Wet, on skin: Brownie batter.

Dry: ...brownie batter!

This oil is in a category of its own: Brownie batter.

I can't say "I like this" nor "I don't like this", it's not summery nor wintery, it's not... anything, it's just brownie batter.

Delicious brownie batter, that is. :D

A few days after wearing this for the first time, I stopped resisting and made myself some brownie batter to eat. :P

Oh, the deception!

It was MUCH less tasty as Lump of Coal's scent is.

So I haven't eaten any since then... Lump of Coal's perfect for people trying to lose weight, if you ask me! :D

Edited by Merlu

As everyone else has already said--BROWNIE!! :P

However, I like my gourmand perfumes a bit less...erm...literal ;D hehe...so thankfully I won't need to sell my soul for a bottle!

Lump of Coal - Wow, is this one heck of a chocolate scent! Just the tiniest bit and my whole body smells like chocolate. I don’t normally like foody scents, and I particularly dislike chocolate, and at first sniff, I thought this was going to be “another one of those chocolates”. But it’s not! Initially, I thought it had a somewhat artificial chocolate scent, but as it began to dry down, the chocolate became a real, dark chocolate and reminds me of warm, gooey, chocolate brownies. I think I’ve found a chocolate scent that I can wear all by itself and be really happy with. The lasting power is moderate. As for throw, take it easy and don’t apply too much. This one is not for slathering because it’s sooo chocolatey!

In the Bottle: OMG brownie batter! Maybe a little hazelnut. *mouth waters*

On Application: I want brownies. Right now. I can't believe how rich and chocolately this smells. This is evil!

On Drydown: This hasn't really changed. It smells so good! A little more nutty undertones, but it's pure brownies alright. It's very mouth watering.

Comments: I think this is more of a novelty than anything, because I don't know if I'd want to smell like brownies all the time, but goodness it smells divine. I really wouldn't mind getting more of this, but I know that's not likely.

Verdict: Definitely keep the imp, and if I can find more, I'd be happy.

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a word or two: Brownies!

Preconceived notions: Honestly? I'm skeptical. I don't like foody scents, after all.

In the imp: Brownie batter! Not the finished product, no: the makings of brownies.

On skin, wet: There's something different about this chocolate, compared to Bliss, Velvet, etc. This should be dusty and dry already, like the other chocolate and cocoa blends. But, it's... not.

On skin, dry: Rich, gooey brownies. Not dry or dusty at all, but very warm and moist. There's really not much else to say; it's not a complex blend, of course. It's a brownie!

Conclusion/Notes: I'm impressed at how very much it really smells like a true brownie, but as I said: I don't like foody scents, so Lump of Coal's not my thing.

In the imp: dark dark fudgey chocolate. On me, I’m still just getting dark fudge. I’ve always been amazed at how a brownie is kinda part-cake and part-fudge (yes, I actually ponder these things) and it seems to me that Lump of Coal is all fudge. I’m not a huge fan of dark chocolate and much prefer my Bliss over this… which is good considering Bliss is still around! :P

Smelled deliciously warm and chocolatey, my 10 year old sister correctly identified it from one sniff as brownie smell.

Unfortunately, it then went to something strange and plastic-y. Like a chocolate scratch and sniff sticker. Off to the swaps it goes.

Hopefully my big bottle of Candy Butcher will be the chocolate scent of my dreams, what with the cream. I think my foody scents need to be pretty creamy to work on me.

Edited by faifai

Only got a sniffie, so there was no oil to test on my skin, but here are my thoughts:

This is chocolate fudge brownies! It's too bad this scent is so rare, and costly when you can find it...

It smells like some lotions/sprays I already own, so I don't think I would actively search for this one.

I think my nose is weird, because every foody scent smells a little overcooked. It does smell like brownies, just burnt ones. I'll send this on to someone whose nose works right.

Lump of Coal-

(I couldn't stand it anymore teasing myself with the anticipation I had to TRY THIS ONE omg!!)

In Bottle: Chocolate rich rich chocolate just like brownie batter OMG OMG. Please be this good on my skin.

Wet: A little...bit...of must is trying to bloom on my skin. If that lasts I will kill someone.

Dry: (weeping) Must. It's there. So is the chocolate, but the must is inescapable. My heart's breaking.

Overall: (crying too hard)

Yum! In the vial, this is a deep, rich, delicious dark chocolate cocoa scent. On my skin this deepens into something else, like when you’re cooking something chocolaty – one of my friends suggested chocolate cake batter, mmmm! After a number of hours on my skin this fades to a lovely dark cocoa smell, reminiscent of a darker version of Bliss, though perhaps with a faint metallic zing in the background.

imp: gooey chocolate brownie! MMMMMMMM!!!

wet: cocoa grande! lovely! It smells like powdered hot chocolate as it is drying. It goes through about 2 minutes of a metallic smell.

Dry: It is a nice cocoa for a little while, but then the metallic notes comes back. My hubby doesn't smell it, but I do.

Oh well. Probably a good thing since it is an old LE.

Verdict: nahhhhh.

This did smell like brownie batter in the bottle but on my skin it turned into burnt chocolate scented plastic. :P I really wanted to love this one!

catwoman (bless her) sent me an imp of Lump of Coal

and with absolutely no preparation or research (typical of my life) I put some on my wrists.

So I have spent the entire afternoon and evening wishing I had some brownies. Cause, yep, it smells like brownies. Thick, warm, gooey, fresh from the oven, delicious brownies. The ones that are moist inside, and as you eat them you drop crumbs everywhere, because they are so very tasty.

Long lasting, tormenting, delicious scent.

In the vial: Brownie batter omg!

On the skin: Still brownie batter. The most delicious brownie batter ever though :P

On drydown: Wow, still brownie batter, ooey gooey devilishly naughty sweet brownie batter haha This is so awesome. I *will* own a bottle of this someday.

As soon as I put this on, the deep fudge scent began to waft up at me. Oh my god, this is love. This is indeed pure chocolate brownie and has immediately become one of my "I'll always take more" scents. Yum!

I tried this at a meet and sniff and it is pure fudgie brownie. I can see why the chocolate scent lovers are all over this one, but while I love the scent of brownies, I prefer to wear them on my thighs, rather than on my wrists. :P

This is VERY chocolatey,indeed!It's the only one of BPALs chocolate blends that doesn't turn really plasticy on me.Still,there seems to something off.It's great to smell from the bottle (especially when I'm PMSing)but on my skin,it's only so-so.Also,my skin eats it up so I'd have to slather it and I could only get my hands on a half bottle of it!

I finally nabbed a decant of this, after much lusting and stalking of the boards! Being a chocoholic, I had high hopes for this one. :D

Wet: Warm ooey gooey brownie batter! Yummmmm :D

After a while: Ohhh nooo a weird plasticky smell emerges. The uber chocolatey delight that I was enjoying, now fades into a thinner, watery whisper. What I get now is a charred chocolate, plastic scent. :P

Another rare I get to cross off my wishlist.

This really does smell just like brownie batter to me. :P Nothing fakey or plasticky here. Alas, all I have is a decant, but if this scent were ever to make a reappearance, I would hoard it madly.

In the Bottle: Ugh, chocolate, hot molten chocolate. I smell no fudge! Where is my fudge?

On my Wrist: Chocolate is overpowering me, I hates the smell of melted chocolate, it just makes my stomach turn.

Overall: This leapt straight into the post and was sent to a friend who likes chocolate.