Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
rosered

Lump of Coal

Ok, fine. It isn't really a lump of coal, but brownies and coal are vaguely similar in color! -- and you know you could never be naughty enough for us to really toss a coal at you! After all, we specialize in sin at Black Phoenix. This is the truly sinful scent of a sticky, thick, dark and rich fudge brownie.

In the bottle: Yum! Brownies so rich they've liquified! I want to drink the bottle down or inhale it all. Black hole brownies...mmmm...

On me: Still lovely chocolate! Some of the Lab chocolates love me, some hate me, but this is love at first scent. It's gotten a warmer edge, like brownies ready to come out of the oven now. I can just taste the crisp edges and the gooey middle!

It also lasts and lasts on me!

Yeah, keeper. :P Edited by Shollin

In the bottle and on first application, this is pure, liquid brownie. Remember that Chantico drink Starbucks has/had? Lump of Coal smells like that. Warm and decadent chocolate.

As it dries, rosered has it exactly right--brownies just on the left side of done.

This doesn't last very long on me, but it's delicious, and leaves a shadow of burnt sugar after it fades away.

Hmm I guess I'm naughty after all. My roommate says that nice is no fun anyway. Yup it's chocolate brownies all right. Rich ones. and Hooray! it doesn't seem to be changing and morphing like some of the other chocolate ones I've tried. Very nice, I mean naughty.

In the bottle: Oh my, I'm jonsin' for some brownies now from smelling this. This smells like the perfect brownie: gooey, moist, dark.

Wet: Smells just as it was in the bottle: dark, sweet, delicious.

Dry: This dries down into the most luscious, dark chocolate ever. If you like chocolate scents, this is for you!

Got milk?

Wow, in the bottle, Lump of coal smells just like a fresh pan of decadent brownies. Deliciousness liquified. I was a bit nervous about trying this on myself, since the chocolatey Bliss didn't smell too great on me. But had to give it a try!

First on, I can still smell the rich cocoa and gooey-ness of the brownies. So good -- can I taste it?

Drying, the lovely scent of fresh baked chocolatey brownies wafts up to my nose. It seems pleasantly strong on me! :-) If I sniff up close, the scent smells almost like toasty marshmallow/caramelized sugar. Just like my favorite piece from a pan of brownies -- the slightly crunchier corner cut.

So far, this is a winner for me! I have to resist putting on more before I see how it lasts.

Wha? Me . . . naughty? Heh heh.

I love this one :P. Lump of Coal was the naughty scent that I was desperately hoping for, and it has not disappointed me. There's not much to say about this one except that it smells like taking a perfect pan of dark chocolate brownies out of the oven. I smell this and can practically taste them.

This is my new favorite chocolate scent from BPAL, and I can't wait to try layering it with all of my other foodie scents. :D

Lump of Coal is the perfect chocolate scent that I have been searching for lo these many years.

In the bottle: Rip the top off of a box of good brownie mix, and take a deep breath. In the bottle, Lump of Coal smells just like that. Sweet chocolate, but a bit dry.

On my skin: Freshly-baked brownies, where the tops are slightly caramelized but there's a gooey, rich, almost liquid center to them.

A few hours later: Still rich, decadent brownies. Maybe not quite as in-your-face chocolatey as upon first application, but still oh-so-delicious smelling.

Lump of Coal seems to last and last on me, which is good. Hopefully this means I won't need to completely slather myself in it, and I can make the bottle last a while. Or at least until I can manage to get my lace-clad mitts on a second (or third, or fourth! :P ) bottle.

(And yes, I tried Lump of Coal with my One True BPAL Pink Moon, and ... ::swoons:: Oh. my. god. This is what I am supposed to smell like.)

-Jilli

I am so excited I got this one in my Naughty or Nice order!!! Yay! Chococlate scents are always my favorite, I'm a Bliss junkie. Lump of Coal smells absolutely decadent; thick, gooey, fudgey brownies right out of the oven. It's like Bliss with a deep, fudge kick to it. Totally, totally **DROOL** I'm really craving a big fudge brownie now, you might not want to wear this when you're hungry :P. I love it, I couldn't be happier to have gotten this one as my Naughty scent. Thankyou Trading Post!!!

Lump of Coal

BPTPLumpofCoal.jpg

In the bottle

Um, it smells like chocolate.

I'm getting ridiculously hungry now.

Like if I gathered all kinds of really good milk and dark chocolate and put them all in a ziploc bag for an hour and then opened the ziploc an hour later and smelled the bag, it would smell like BPTP's Lump of Coal. Yummy.

On

Well this now replaces, BPAL's "Bliss", "Morocco", "Vice" as my favorite chocolate scent.

30 minutes

It doesn't morph at all, it just stays chocolatey and good.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Foody

Summary

I like this because it smells like milk chcholate but also like dark chocolate. wink.gif

Purchase again?

Yup

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Yum, Lump of Coal is just how everyone above has described it, an absolutely delicious hot chocolate brownie. Like Bliss to the tenth power.

I'm so glad I got this one because I recommended a 'Lump of Coal' blend on the Yule suggestion thread. This smells much better than coal!

I can't wait to start layering with this one.

Initial Sniff: Delicious gooey fudgey brownies.

Wearing: Delicious gooey fudgey brownies.

Final Impressions: Delicious gooey fudgey brownies. :P

This is the inquisition scent i wanted the least, and since i knew i was going to try and swap it i didn't test it out really, just sniffed it. and it smells exactlylike brownies and some kind of liquor, maybe chocolate liquor? i love the smell of brownies, but i sure as heck don't want to smell like one all day.

in the bottle: chocolate.

wet: wow, much nicer it smells just like underbaked brownies.

dry. this is an amazing brownie scent. really it smells exactly like brownies baking. i imagine burning some in an oil burner would trick everyone into thinking one was baking. but wearing it makes one entirely edible :P very very naughty scent!

Now to me this smelled like slightly overdone brownies (or like someone said, the crunchy corner piece). I was ready to swap it, but then layered it with Blood Moon on a suggestion from someone - *swoon* now I'm torn between still trying to swap for Spanked and just keeping it!

It just ... nyahhh ... so goooood.

I'm sorry. Not coherent. I'm so glad that I got Lump of Coal.

At first, it smelled exactly like Bliss to me, but after a while it turned slightly nutty - almost as if there were walnuts and icing on these gorgeous, rich, chocolae brownies.

I'm afraid to wear it again, though, because aside from the "OMG I WANT BROWNIES AND I WANT THEM NOW" factor, I've found that many people grab me and refuse to let go when I wear foody scents. Not cool. :P

Lump of Coal

Like the opening chocolate note of 13, then a deeper brownie note, and then into a sort of dry dark chocolate that smelled DIVINE on me. My dear friend gifted me with her bottle.

:P

at first: brownies!!!

on: warm brownies. amazing.

half an hour later: odd. chocolate, but a vegetable-like note.

1 hours later: radishes?

3.5 hours later: mostly radishes with a hint of brownie mix.

overall: i don't know what is up with my skin chemistry. i'm going to have to try this one out in an oil burner or in a scent locket.

Lump of Coal does indeed smell like chocolate brownies! I put some on yesterday and my kids asked excitedly, "Did you make brownies?!" Boy, were they disappointed! :P

To me, Lump of Coal is a much richer, deeper version of Bliss, without the nutty note that I get from Bliss. The scent stays true in the bottle, wet on my skin, and through drydown. It lasts quite a long time and has a lot of throw. I can still catch a whiff of it now in my hair and smelled it on my pillow this morning, and it's been almost 24 hours since applying it.

Everyone who's sniffed my bottle of Lump of Coal has been awed by how well Beth liquified brownies into a perfume.

The *perfect* chocolate scent for me - warm and ooey gooey yummy, but not overly sweet.

Love. A lot.

-Jen

This smelled like brownies in the bottle. (Pretty much as aeveryone else describes.)

Unfortunately, it immediately went play-doh upon hitting my skin. :P

Coincidently I got hologhosts Lump of Coal in a swap. Thank you! :D

In the bottle it smells like chocolate with a touch of something liquory like rum. Immediately on my skin it's like chocolate with a slight vinegar note. Not sharp and acrid vinegar, but just something sour. Luckily that note doesn't stick around long and I start to smell that classic Tootsie Roll chocolate flavor-scent. I never did get the brownie aspect of it but the best part of this oil comes even later when I get these wafts of what I first thought was cocoa powder with confectioner's sugar and vanilla sugar sprinkled in but then realized that in the drydown this smells just like dry chocolate cake mix. It's like when you dump it in the bowl and the cake mix dust makes this chocolate cloud you just can't help but breathe in. It even reminds me a little of sweet chocolate milk with some vanilla. I'm going to keep this one and also try it with layering. (Lump of Coal + Beaver Moon = Chocolate Cheesecake? :P)

ETA: I layered it with Beaver Moon and found that Beaver Moon dominated. It was like a very pale milk chocolate with cinnamon at first and then a deeply creamy vanilla afterward. S'gooood... :D

Edited by HappyLoveJoy

Lump of Coal does indeed smell like Ghiradelli's double chocolate brownies in the bottle.

30 seconds after touching my skin it dissipates to something like hot chocolate mix... or the younger sibling to Bliss. I say younger sibling to Bliss because it doesn't last as long.

Even though Bliss doesn't smell as strong in the bottle... it lasts longer on me then Lump of Coal.

It is amazing to smell Brownies in a bottle! Glad I had a chance to sample a sniff.

I got Lump of Coal in a swap with crescentwrench, and what else do I have to add that hasn't already been said before me? Very little. It's pure brownie batter. I nearly made a batch of my favorite brownies, so I could compare the two... but my brownie-chef nose would say Lump of Coal smells like my cocoa brownie recipe. And brownie batter doesn't smell just like chocolate, of course -- there's the sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla and chocolate all blending together. Lump of Coal is just like that. Nummy.

It doesn't morph that much on my body from the bottle scent, it stays the same as the hours pass by and lasts a long time. Brownies hardly last that long at my house!

valentina

NECRO-EDIT: My tastes in perfume have changed to include some foody scents and I can wear chocolate blends without feeling queasy now, so it's time for an updated review! Rather than delete the entire thing and start over (because the scent descriptions are still completely accurate; it's just my tastes that have changed), I'm just going to edit the parts that aren't applicable anymore. :)

Origin:

Sniffy from the lovely Savannah. :P

Preconceived notions:

I like to eat brownies, but generally speaking, chocolate scents make me a bit queasy. I do want to try this, though, because I love to try all the LE scents and because I know that Beth will have nailed the scent on this one, the same as she's done with so many other scents. :D

(ETA: Chocolate scents don't make me queasy anymore! I can tolerate and even love quite a few of them now. I'm leaving this portion of the review alone, though, because it represents my true preconceived notions from before I ever sniffed Lump of Coal.)

First sniff:

Good Lord, brownies! And I do mean brownies. Thick, rich, gooey brownies. :D

Wet on skin:

Brownies in liquid form. The thick, gooey kind instead of the cakey, crumbly kind. Beth really did nail this scent right on the head, the same as she did with Snowblind. As I'm sure we all know, she's a very talented scentstress (that's like seamstress, only with scents...I can make it a word, I have the technology!).

Dry down:

Prepare yourself, this will come as a shock...brownies! Chewy, gooey, chocolate fudge brownies in liquid form. I'd swear my mom had a pan of them in the oven, this is so realistic.

The bottom line:

Astonishingly realistic. I've kept my precious little decant all these years because it's so fascinatingly true to life. I would open it up and sniff it every now and then, just because it's so realistic. It doesn't just smell like chocolate. It smells like brownies. Real, fresh-baked, gooey brownies, not the cheap, fake-smelling brownie scent that so many other similarly themed perfumes have. It's uncanny!

Now that I can wear chocolate scents without feeling green around the gills, Lump of Coal is something I really enjoy wearing now and then. It's not an everyday scent (like most foody blends) because I don't want to smell like brownies most days. But in spite of that, it's actually one of my favorite BPAL foody blends now. It's a fun scent to wear when I'm in the mood for smelling like cheerful and foody. :D

Edited by Penance

This smells like the best brownie batter I've ever had. :P

I love it, but I can't wear it too often. It's wonderful and very realistic. So realistic, that it makes my husband sick. #*%$!^@ chocolate allergy. *scowls*