Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wickedgoddess

La Fée Verte

A variant on the absinthe theme. Sugared wormwood, hyssop and melissa with calamus, angelica and Dittany of Crete, blended with a Bohemian perfume of vanilla musk, honey absolute and Moroccan spices.

La Fee Verte is a beautiful scent – but be careful to be sparing with it or the scent can be overwhelming. When just the right amount is applied, it’s light and clean, sweet, and soothing. As it dries, it gains a light musky scent, and the entire blend becomes creamy on my skin. It’s absolutely gorgeous. It’s definitely got some resemblance to Embalming Fluid, but lacks the mint and licorice scents that Absinthe has. I can’t say that I like either one more than the other – they’re both fabulous scents that I see myself wearing a lot in the spring and summer months. For those who wonder what the biggest difference is between the two, I’d say that where Absinthe is crisp, La Fee Verte is creamy. Unfortunately, after dry-down, it has very little throw, but the staying power seems good. Edited by Shollin

First thought--

"Is that a lemon in your Underpants or are you just happy to see me?"

Seriously, this was all melissa (lemon balm) for the first few minutes and then straight to vanilla sugared saffron musk, a near-twin of Underpants, except for the musk being a tad brighter. Not a sign of the bitter herbs. Lovely, but I'll be swapping this. Must try the GC Absinthe, I think.

In the vial: Sweet, sugary, minty.

On me: This is a clean scent with an alcoholic tang on me. It smells like what a sugary, minty alcoholic drink would smell like. This is a really nice scent.

Verdict: Too bad it's a limited edition. I only tried some residual oil from a sniffie, and while I really love the scent, I probably won't go looking for a bottle or anything as there isn't much of it around and I don't want to get addicted! I'll pass the sniffie off to someone else.

Rating: 4/5

This is a pointed, crisp but sweet scent on a base of smooth creaminess. On my skin, the crispness becomes a little more citrus-like, reminding me a little of Absinthe minus the anise (and thus not like any real absinthe I’ve had) and the creamy base note becomes a little spicy – kind of like a brighter, more powerful, citrusy version of Morocco; vanilla wafts deliciously through it all. The citrus-like note starts to fade over time, and the gorgeous vanilla-and-honey-absolute base stays behind smelling just delightful.

In the Bottle: Mmm, sweet and peppery, a little vanilla. Pretty!

On Application: Wow,, this is very very complex. Musky, spicy, and slightly sweet. There's a "clean" floral that I can't place, but I know I've smelled it before. It's almost citrusy. This is beautiful.

On Drydown: Ack. Lemon Pledge. *sigh*

Comments: I need to figure out what note turns to Pledge on me. Bummer!

Verdict: Swap.

In the bottle: Sharp and green.

On: Bitter herbs softened by vanilla and honey. A very unusual blend.

Dry Down: In the end this is still pretty bitter, with just a hint of sugared herbs and musk.

First sniff: I’m getting mostly lime and mint from this, with a little bit of sugar. It’s very refreshing and chilly. I like!

Wearing: How odd… it goes from smelling rather like a mojito (no rum, though) to a sweeter Antique Lace. It’s simply glorious.

I just wish I could have bought a bottle of this while it was available. I can't make out any individual notes but overall this is lightly sweet with white flowers, a touch of powder that I always think of as bee pollen and a little lemon balm.

PRECONCEPTIONS: I had high hopes for this scent - envisioned something light and fresh, anise-y, but not too sharp. Something for daywear.

IN BOTTLE: citrus! goodlord. and minty, too, and something vaguely anise-y... but mostly citrus.

WET: citrus. herby herby citrus. I am not happy.

DRYING: the drydown makes it allll worthwhile. the citrus fades, although it doesn't disappear entirely. the scent is still cool, but it doesn't have the citrusy bite it had in the first few moments. something a little richer is coming out underneath..

DRYDOWN: people give you funny looks if you wander down the street inhaling deeply from your wrist. This scent is exactly what I was looking for, both from La Fee Verte and to fill a 'daywear' spot in my collection. it's cool and subtle, and lightly creamy with a hint of unobtrusive spice. I can smell a bit of the hyssop too; there remains a herby current that makes it complex.

Perfect for me. I absolutely love it. SO glad this was a 10mL.

My first BPTP scent! Huzzah again!

In the bottle: green, very green, with a vague floral scent behind it.

Initial application: the musk kicks in, with an herbal edge to it.

Drydown: from out of nowhere comes the vanilla, a warm, spicy vanilla. It's not overpowering, though. Quite the opposite: this is soft and very subtle. I wish it was a little stronger, I wouldn't mind being able to smell it in the air around me. I'm having the same experience I had with Black Pearl (though they don't smell the same), in which is starts off as one scent and dries to something completey different. I'm not as crazy about the flowery green beginning as I am about the drydown. Still, this is a nice, luxurious, mature scent.

Smiley rating: :P

Oooh, a sugary herbal! Much better than the GC Absinthe. I will probably swap it away, though, considering my skin ate it in under a minute. :P

La Fee Verte-

In Bottle: Sharply alcoholic, though nothing like anise.

Wet: A very light green floral-herbal.

Dry: This dries down to white musk! With vanilla. This is classic Ombre Rose type perfume. If it gave me more than that I'd probably have a better appreciation for it, since other scents do this too (Antique Lace is one). But it's a very nice scent in its own right!

Overall: Nice!

imp: curious, but partially sour and repellant (seems to be one note).

wet: curious and green...repellant note fades into the background.

Dry: Lime?!?! That's all I can smell. ODD!

Goes through several more phases: Grapefruit w/ a little floral then finally aquatic

Interesting, but I'll pass.

wet: herbal, astringent, a little medicinal and a lot elderly women's perfume. hmmm.

it took me days to try this since i was so put off from the scent in the imp. when i finally did try it i found that, like much bpal, it took a turn for the better. on my skin LFV gets a bit sweeter with some of that vanilla and musk, while still remaining very clean and green.

so it's nice, but not really my bag.

Sweet, fresh, sugary...this is a nice little scent, but not something I'm deeply in love with. I definitely like this better than the Absinthe GC, which was very astringent on me, but there is a floral note here that I'm amping, which saddens me, because I would love the honey, herbal lime that I'm seeing in some other reviews...

Oh my... I got my first whiff of La Fee Verte today and I am in love.

Wet, it doesn't smell like anything special: a little medicinal, a touch of lemon, a sharp bite. There's definitely an "alcohol" flavour there.

On skin, wow. It's a completely different world. The sharpness goes away completely, leaving a touch of citrus and vanilla. It's clean, sweet, and just lovely. It's blended so well it's hard to distinguish individual notes.

I'm a happy swapper :P

Later: this just keeps getting lovelier and lovelier. The musks have stepped up, and there's a slight floral scent to it, but nothing sweet at all. Now I'm glad I splurged on that bottle on ebay without sniffing beforehand!

Edited by phedre

I was hesitant to try this, only because of the honey note in it. As much as I like honey (the real stuff!), I've found that honey in any blend can really be a wild card for me.

In the bottle, this is almost 'powdery', which I know right off is the presence of honey. Upon application, however, it's immediately musk and sweetness. The vanilla and honey are evident, but not cloying at all. I'm surpised, to say the least!!The rest of the roundness of this blend must be the herbs and the absinthe, most of which I'm not familiar with but this blend is GORGEOUS!!

As it dries, it just gets softer and closer to the skin. It's definitely a close-to-the-skin blend, and softly sensuous. A true WINNER!

i have had an amber shortie of la fee verte for ages now, and never tried it because i know it's a bit rare...plus i wasn't too keen on it smelling from the bottle. it instantly turned to baby powder on my skin...so much that i felt like i had just changed a baby in a changing room.

where is MY awesome honey, musk and vanilla?!

hmmmm.....smells like a nice upscale perfume. Something like my mother used to wear, only a bit sweeter. I was a bit disappointed because in the bottle I got lots of lime-y??? goodness, but absolutely none on my skin.

The vanilla musk comes out very nicely as it dries, along with the honey and something herbal. Also, a little powdery, but something there is keeping it from turning to complete powder on me.

I'm glad I got to try it and most likely I'll keep the imp that was generously gifted to me, but I haven't yet decided on a bottle. I'll have to try it a couple more times. I'm also very interested to see how it will work in a locket.

At first sniff: Citrusey, lemony; sharp but sweet at the same time. Very contradictory. The top note smells like sugared lemon, like lemon head candy. There is a gorgeous, smooth honey undertone, which is very much like the honey note in Honey Moon. An unusual but lovely spiciness runs beneath the whole thing.

On the dry down: The honey note really begins to dominate. It's so strong and commanding, but has the most amazing innocence about it. This reminds me a bit of Gennivre (Artist of the Diabolique).

Overall I like this one very much. I really didn't think I would, but now I am longing for a bottle!!

This is a *gorgeous* scent, and even though it doesn't smell a bit like absinth it's very evocative of the beverage. It has a grainy, sugary top note, which perfectly balances out the slightly astringent, fresh, and very "green" smelling base. It's hard to place it in a category, so I'm going to say it's a sugary green herbal scent. I really do want to drink it.

Edited by little_galaxie

LaFeeVerteSS.jpg

Imp: Such a mixture of notes! It's really hard to separate them, but I do smell a bit of lemon (the Melissa), and the musk. It's a very bright scent, but not overpowering at all. Lemon doesn't do well on me, but since this is a lemony herb it should be ok.

Wet: Still not a strong scent but you definitely know it's there. The Melissa is playing nice with my body chemistry so far, yay! I haven't sniffed Absinthe yet, but I will because others have said they like it as much as they like this.

Dry: This dries down to a lovely, slightly citrus-y, honeyed musk. The vanilla note is there as well, but not too strong. The throw isn't all that strong, but it does last quite a while for such a light scent.

Verdict: I love this, and I'm so glad I won the bottle from eBay. It's a 10ml, too, so it should last me a good while. I gifted my daughter with a decant, and I think she'll love it too. I think it's more of a nose delight type of scent, rather than a seductive scent. But that's ok... I don't want all my oils to be the sex-in-a-bottle type.

Edited by stellans

At first sniff, this seemed mostly floral to me, and very perfumey. But as it settles in a bit, it develops more complexity, and there's a strong herbal element coming out now that takes the edge of the sweetness.

Now there's a definite spicy/incensey edge to it, and I can definitely pick out the honey/sugar elements to it. Much nice this way! It's got a lovely balance of sweetness and sharpness, with some warmth and also some edge to it. it's not anisey enough to smell all that much like real absinthe to me, but nonetheless it manages to capture a bit of the same feel. The vanilla musk is a nice balancing note as well.

As it develops further, most of the spicy and herbal element is lost, or at least fades down to be very subtle, and just a soft honey/vanilla/musk remains, a bit like a cross between O and Antique Lace, but thankfully without the Play-Doh-ish feel the latter has on me. There's still faint touches of spice in it, but they're very soft now. Actually, at this stage it's quite reminiscent of Vasakasajja from the Faces of the Heroine series.

All in all, I like it, quite a lot. It's definitely a morpher, going through stages that seem like several distinctly different perfume oils over the span of an hour and a half or so (which sadly, is about how long it lasts on me). But thankfully, I like most of them. And even the very changeability of it seems to keep me on my toes.

Grade: B+

A right-place-right-time imp score off a wonderful LJ seller.

In the imp: Oooh! Wonderfully fresh and herby.

Wet on skin: Oh god, my Lemon Nemesis strikes again.

Dry down: Like a see-saw, I kept going from "nemesis!" to "oh, hang on...!". My skin just looooves to amp that lemon scent and for a while I thought this awesome sounding blend was going to suffer at the hands of my chemistry.

But no! Go La Fee Verte! Now it's just gorgeous! Those yummy vanilla musk, honey, and spice notes are through. It's creamy and mellow. The bit of the lemon is still there, but far off in the background and behaving itself.

Really lovely. This little imp will be treasured! :P

Edited by Shollin