Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Pink Phoenix

Silliness in the extreme. Vanilla bean, honeycomb, sugared pear, sweet pea and a dribble of strawberry.

Silly is totally right! Is this supposed to smell like cotton candy? Cause that's what I kinda get. The sweet pea is predominant, with honey and vanilla blending very lightly behind. Not much throw, but lean into it, why don't you? I think you'll agree that it sure is sweet, almost saccharine! I don't think I'd like to smell like this, but it is somewhat enjoyable in and of itself. Enjoyable and sugary :P Edited by dirtytrip

:D

In the bottle ~ Sugar & strawberries!

Wet on my skin ~ Sugar, strawberries & a touch of floral. The vanilla bean, honeycomb are in the background grounding the blend.

Dry ~ Sugary, vanillary sweet peas, and strawberries, plus lots more sugar! I don't smell the pear in this at all, but then my nose isn't trained very well to pick out all the individual notes. Now the strawberries are in the background, and the vanilla and honeycomb are prominent, still smothered with delicious sugar!!! This finishes with all the notes blending together to become one, and it is beautiful sweet smell!

This is my most favourite blend, and I feel sad that it isn't a GC blend. Although I have found that Hollywood Babylon on me is very like Pink Phoenix, blended with Pink Moon! :P

EDIT I meant to say that I find this to be a very strong scent, with fantastic throw, and it lasts, and lasts!!!!

Edited by violetflower

I have tried to find something to like about Pink Phoenix... In fact I bought it at two seperate times thinking I needed to give it another chance. Alas, it truly IS just putrid on me. :P

Pink Phoenix on ME, is hyper sweet (strawberry soda meets fruit loops on steroids) and just wafting under that sweetness, a little "sour" or dare I say it? A mixture of "plastic and butt " smell starts to emerge with that syrpy sweetness. It is truly aweful with my skin chemistry. Each attempt I have tried, Abby made the "I'm smelling something gross face" and begged me to wash it off! Sigh..

It totally bewilders me, b/c when I read these rave reviews, I was so hopeful to experiance fresh strawberries, honeycomb and vanilla. None of those notes are detectable or delectable on me in this blend. This is in my top 10 of the most "blech! Yuckie!" bpal scental experiances I've had.

A firm 0/5 :D

Pink Phoenix

I got this scent a few years ago, and just never reviewed because I am lazy.

In the bottle:

Sweet pea and honeycomb, a tinge of strawberry lurking. I'm a bit leery of the sweet pea, because it doesn't seem to smell very good so far with all that honeycomb/sugary note.

Initial Skin Contact:

Sugar. Nothing but sugar period. Maybe not even real sugar - splenda sugar. This makes my poor heart cringe.

Thirty Minutes:

Sugar is still prominent. Maybe a bit of sweet pea and a tinge of that really fake sort of strawberry scent that smells vaguely plastic.

One Hour:

I am fighting not to remove this scent. It kind of makes my stomache lurch a little bit because I am not a fan of sickly sweet scents at all. I don't mind fruit or strawberry smells typically, but I also love scents with a sharp tang to at least tone it down. Pink Phoenix is absolutely nothing but sugar with a very faint sweet pea tossed in.

Three Hours:

The sweet pea emerges, but that sugar is still overwhelming. I still don't smell any pear, and I only caught a very brief whiff of vanilla bean and strawberry at the start. This is not a scent I will be keeping. This is what I thought Jailbait would smell like, but it didn't. I am really disappointed, because I expected a lot more strawberry than just plain sugar. I guess if you want to attract mosquitos this is the scent for you? It really does convey the thought of pink though.

Edited by Shollin

This seems to be very iffy on me. Sometimes it's very sweet, a sugar overload with hints of strawberry, vanilla, and flowers floating in the background. Other times, the pear note that hates me comes forward and it becomes sugary play-doh. Very very strange, since it doesn't seem to be a skin chemistry issue because it can happen all in the same day. I adore the way it smells when the play-doh stays away, so I'll keep wearing it and hoping for the good application. *L*

This smells like strawberry chewy candy...with a bit of vanilla and honey. I dont smell any other notes off the bat, but after about a half hour, the floral notes make an appearance. Not bad, but not one of my favorites...

I originally got a bottle of this back in 06 and got rid of it rather quickly because at the time I was not into scents like this. My tastes are changing because of BPAL. I was a huge foody fan (still am to some extent) but I really like the hippy type scents and to me this falls into that category. I can pick up every single note in this and so glad I re-discovered it and found a bottle. Bye bye Kingsport and H-E-L-L-O Pink Phoenix! :P

ETA: I would like to clarify the Hippy statement ... I remember when I was young and would go into certain shops they would burn an incense and it smelled just like this.

Edited by beachbabealways

I'm getting a lot of honey and vanilla as top notes with a teeny bit of strawberry and sweetpea. Very nice!!!

Edited by TwilightEyes

I thought this was gonna be my BPAL holy grail so I was searching a long time for it.. and just recently I acquired three decants of it! woot! im testing it out now for the first time. I definitely smell the honeycomb(!) vanilla and sweet pea but i dont smell the pear so much, maybe very fainty. I thought I had a blindspot to BPAL strawberry because when I tried bon vivant all I smelled was the champagne and maybe strawberry LEAF but no berry.. hollywood babylon and beaver moon only give me cherry (cherry lifesavers to be exact) ... but now this strawberry note smells like the that BPAL cherry. is my nose confused? anyone else smell cherry? im also getting something a bit like dragon's blood, makes the vanilla smell a bit musky, just a teeny bit.

not what i was expecting. it reminds me a little too much of hollywood babylon (ie cherry lifesavers).. gonna have to wait and see if it morphs at all.

edit: okay, three hours later and im smelling the pear finally. the cherry lifesavers has gone away. i really wish this scent was stronger, but im liking the way it morphs.

Edited by arcadelane

This is a silly, silly scent. It's sweet and slightly floral with the sweet pea and strawberry standing on top, the vanilla bean and honeycomb acting as the scent pyramid base, and all of them juggling the sugared pear. On me the sweet pea really comes out on top with the vanilla a second. It's still good, but not quite the pink silliness in the imp. Later the honey dominates the scent and the fruits have disappeared behind the honey-sweet pea-vanilla bean trio. I like this blend, it makes me giggle.

Edited by SmileCat

in the bottle: like red twizzlers, if twizzlers were a natural fruit that grew on trees :D

wet on skin: the honey comb and sweet pea make their presence known and it is LOVELY. :P

dry down: it's a combination of powdery pink sugar, beeswax (NOT honey), sweet pea and some secret yummy powder.

in all: LOVE!!!!!

:D :) ;)

Pink Phoenix is one of my comfort scents. I reach for it when I anticipate a bad day. :P It just makes me happy. If it were possible to smell a color, this would be what pink smelled like.

In the bottle: Vanilla, lots and lots of strawberry, and a touch of what I think is the sweet pea? It's a bit floral, but hard to pinpoint over the smell of the other, super sweet scents.

Wet: Pretty much like in the bottle, but the honey starts to peek out.

Dry: Strawberry and vanilla and honey. There's an almost powdery scent in the background, but only a bit. It's just very sweet and edible smelling. And hooo boy does it last! Easily one of the longest-lasting oils I've ever tried.

Okay, this is a scent I can only really describe by comparison. I know that's not helpful for people who haven't smelled the other scent, so I try to avoid doing it, but my brain can't really process this scent beyond this observation...

It smells almost exactly like Tiki Queen on me.

Maybe a bit more sugary, a bit less floral. It's definitely got a bubble gum sort of vibe going on to my nose. I'm happy to say that on me, it doesn't smell particularly vanilla-y at all. It's quite lovely, in fact, in the same way that Tiki Queen is. It's just a super sweet kind of lovely.

Also, Pink Phoenix lasts forever on me. Like... 10 hours. That's something Tiki Queen doesn't do. :P I'm glad that I got to try this, thanks to the lovely and generous dpoulsen21.

Let's play dress up and be princesses! Such a sweet innocent, happy vibe. All girly and glittery with wands and tiaras.

Hmm, so this smelled intensely of Jolly Rancher candies in the vial. On wet, the strawberry bloomed, and the sweet pea made an appearance.

And then I got what usually happens with either strawberry or vanilla = plastic death. Yup smells like a Barbie doll.

I bought a decant from GirlinDenial and was instand hooked!! ;)

I love love love this scent i even smear it in my hair and everyone within a few yards can smell me :P

Lovely Sweet pink candy (not to heavy) scent makes me feel very sweet and lovely (what i not am hehehe :smite: )

Edited by Icekitten

I was super fortunate to grab a bottle of this at the Dark Del trunk show-I have been dying to try it forever.

In the bottle this is sweet creamy vanilla with a hint of sugared fruits. Mmmm! This is what I was hoping Candy Phoenix would be like.

On my skin the honeycomb comes out much more-yummy! There is a bit of a dustiness to this blend that keeps it from being sickly or cloying. Maybe a little bit of a plasticky note (for which I am going to blame the strawberry-it tends to do that) which will hopefully fade as the blend dries.

Overall I am definitely in love with this blend and so grateful I had a chance to grab it when I did. Delicious vanilla and honey with sweet sugared fruits! This is *SO* a ME blend. I will cherish this bottle!

I got a bottle of this from the DD trunk show, I've never tried it fresh.

The overall scent quality of this is so much like bubblegum. It is definitely pink, sweet, and silly.

It has morphed a bit different only me every time I've worn it. Initially, it's always sweet and a little creamy, and it smells very much like regular, original flavor bubblegum. I can smell a bit of beeswax, soft vanilla, and pear. The strawberry seems entirely absent. As it dries, the sweet pea comes out and counters the creaminess. The dry edge combined with the sweetness is, I think, what makes it smell like bubblegum.

It always starts the same, but some days it's more floral when dry, and others, like today, it smells mainly of beeswax. Only pink. The pear fades away as it dries, so it's only a suggestion, but it's quite noticeable when wet. The vanilla is subtle but present.

So in the end, I'd say this is a sweet pea and beeswax scent, colored by sweet pear and vanilla. I wish I could smell the strawberry. Someone way back in the review thread mentioned Hollywood Babylon, so I think I'll try layering for a more strawberry-tastic, grown up version.

Try it if you like: Democrat, The Perilous Parlor, Cancer, Love's Philosophy, Beaver Moon (either one)

I was so happy when Persephone 76 picked up a bottle of this for me at the DD show. Unfortunately, Pink Phoenix flies right away from my skin. I get a little sugar and then gone. *sad panda*

Sniffed: Orange-coloured oil. Extremely, extremely sweet. Candyish/sugary, tooth-aching. Sweet pea (by far the strongest note), strawberry, and a little pear. Powdery edge from the sweet pea.

Wet: Artificial strawberry fruit and pear are a little stronger, but still mostly sweet pea. If I inhale with force, I can smell some syrupy honey below the sugar/florals. I'm not sure if I get vanilla bean - this is just so sweet, who the hell knows.

Dry: The sweet pea is going even more powdery, the strawberry is going plastic, and the sugar is so, so strong. I'm almost getting some soap from the sweet pea, or maybe something else, as well. This is a mess! Off to sink.

In the bottle: sweet and yummy!

Wet: the sweet pea is very strong and sweet and dominates this phase.

The dry-down: the other notes are starting to come out now; each time I take a huff of my wrist, it's just a little bit different. This time there's a touch of the vanilla bean, and then next a hint of strawberry; the tartness of the pear, even with sugar, keeps this from being too foodie, and and more the sweet fruit of summer-time. And don't forget the honeycomb, which seems to be holding all these lovely notes together.

This may be silly, indeed, right down to the pink label, but it's yummy and so sweet that I want to lick my wrist, just not sniff it! :)

Later: this is such a wonderful combination of notes! I must obtain more of this sweet fruitiness. :)

ETA: this is still going strong! :) Fading away only slowly.

Edited by thekittenkat