Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Macha

Red Phoenix

A celebration of three years of decadence, determination, death and rebirth. Red musk, tonka, Chinese cassia, mandarin, patchouli, benzoin, wild plum and tobacco.

on me, this is spicy soap. the strong soap scent fades some, but doesn't go away completely. i don't smell the patchouli at all. :P
i may try to age it before i give up on it.

First whiff: first time I tried it: stroooong cassia - it does feel like cinnamon, but it's much sharper, almost medicinal... and it's absolutely all I can smell.

Second try: CASSIA, a hint of mandarin/tobacco. Not quite as one-dimensional, but well...

Drydown: er, it becomes very, very faint, almost a skin scent. After an hour or so, the sole way I can smell it is to crush my nose against my wrist?!

It just keeps like that, extremely faint cassia/cinnamon, with a vague mandarin and tobacco in the background.

Verdict: meep? What's going on here? The list of notes is splendid, yet this is CASSIA ATTACK then almost nothing. Color me very puzzled.

6.5/10

at first: heavy musk and cassia.

on: tons of cassia and a bit of orange. i can't pick out the other notes.

1 hour later: very soapy and floral, but hot, too.

4 hours later: super-hot cinnamon.

overall: i didn't really like this.

A wonderful spicey hot scent with a touch of sweet. Oh, I love the Red Phoenix. If Cassia is what gives me this lovely spice, I must hunt down more Cassia. (;

redphoenix.jpg

Bottle: Sweet (I think that’s from the plum and benzoin). Cassia and deep patchouli and musk.

Wet: All lovely cassia. I can see the comparisons to Blood Moon here (which I love), but I think this isn't quite as round and smooth as that. This is sharper, grittier, and dirtier. I don't really smell the fruits in this.

Drying: As it settles, this takes on a soap smell. Um, that was TOTALLY unexpected--none of the notes in this are typically soapy on my skin chem….

Dry: 30 min-1 hr: Spicy sweet, slightly patchouli FLORAL? SOAP? Argh. What is wrong with my skin chem!?

By 2 hrs: Well, the soap mellowed, thank god. Its now a much smoother sweet spicey smell. I’m getting the benzoin and cinnamon with an almost amber powdery note (cept I know there's not amber in this). Just a pinch of gritty patchouli--in a good way.

3 hrs in, and this is but a barely there skin scent. Meanwhile, by the same time, Blood Moon makes me want to have sex with myself. …Lasts about 6 hrs total.

Overall: I had the highest hopes for this. And for some unexplainable reason, a list of notes that usually work splendidly for me are turning to soap on my skin chem. No, its not the super-super soap smell I get outta most strong florals. Its more complex and interesting than that, but its enough soapy to leave me feeling disappointed. Oh, Cruel world.

I'll be sticking with my rich, spicy, sweet, smooth, beautiful Blood Moon--its in the same family and works a bit better for me, I think. Maybe I'll hit the swaps to get more Blood Moon if possible.

Edited by jewelbug

This is all cassia and patchouli at first, with cassia being the more prominent note. It's quite strong on me, spicy and earthy and sweet.

As it dries, the cassia and patchouli mellow somewhat, and the tobacco blooms beautifully. I get a little bit of musk as well. On me, it comes off as a little too brash, but it is a lovely, sensual scent.

In the bottle:

Patchouli and something sweet

On me:

This comes off very spicey on me, but of course - I love that. At first, it's all cinnamon and patchouli, but the cinnamon comes off as very natural - like actual fresh cinnamon. THen something vaguely sweet and only mildly fruity comes into it, and I think it must be the plum, because it doesn't come off as mandarin at all. The tonka really warms this up even more too and I love it in combonation with the cinnamon. I don't ever smell the mandarin, but this is just fine the way it is.

Final note:

This is really nice, it's very spicey and warm and I have to say - the first day I wore this, I went out with my Mom to have dinner. She complimented me about 10 times on this scent it made such an impression on her hehe.

This is quite similar to Snake Charmer on me, although with more patchouli and a sort of smoky incense. I like it a lot, I think, although I'm trying to avoid scents that smell a lot alike. But it has great throw and staying power, and dries down to a really intriguing scent, so I might have to scout out more of this.

Preconceived notions:

I want to love this one, but I've been hearing some things that worry me a bit: namely that it smells like cinnamon red hots. I like cinnamon but it doesn't always work on me, so I'm a bit nervous. :D

First sniff:

This definitely has a cinnamony kick to it. I can't imagine what it would be that's doing it...maybe the cassia? I've never smelled cassia on its own, so I wouldn't know. Overall, Red Phoenix is spicy, a bit fruity and sweet. It actually reminds me quite a bit of Bengal, which doesn't bode well. :D

Wet on skin:

Very similar to Bengal for some reason. I was hoping for more red musk, patchouli and plum, but this is all cinnamony spice with a bit of sweetness on me and it's just not working. :D

Dry down:

Unfortunately, I don't get any of the notes I was hoping for out of this (red musk, patchouli, benzoin, plum and tobacco). All I get are the notes that worried me, overlaid with a mysterious spiciness that reminds me of chai tea.

The bottom line:

This is a nice scent, there's no doubt about it, and I'm sure other people would love it, but it's just not working for me. :P

I bought this from a forumite along with Blood Moon as my "I failed my exam" purchase. It hasn't made it all better but it damn well has helped.

I think what I get most is the cassia with a bit of cinnamon and plum over a base of musk. Spicy and earthy without being foody and dirty.

I love it, and what's more my mum likes it and she's really fussy so it must be good.

an awesome blend of cinnamon and other spices, has a dark red, somewhat goff smell to it while being simultaniously warm and home-like. I REALLY dig this stuff. Quickly realising that my favorite notes are definitely spices and this has them in droves.

I'm new to BPAL and Red Phoenix is one of the first LEs I've tried and the verdict is still out on it. I guess my skin chemistry is weird because I didn't see anyone else mention this, but it keeps morphing on my skin about every thirty minutes.

Red Phoenix starts as an extremely strong cassia and then it changes to patchouli within a half hour.

And within an hour it's the red musk.

Then it starts with the cassia again.

I'm not sure if I love or hate this effect, but it is really, really interesting. The one thing I can definitely say is that it keeps me awake. :P

In the bottle: cassia, which registers as cinnamon to me as well. Also a grainy smell, like Blood Moon. This is very similar to my nose. But this is more floral than Blood Moon.

Wet: cassia, and a subtle floral? This is like Blood Moon's sweeter younger sister. I am in love, so far.

Dry down: spicey,grainy, with something sharp underneath. I am loving this.

30 minutes: cassia (that smells like cinnamon), grainy goodness with a citrus undertone. Two people who smelled it and said I smelled like a candle, in a good way. One person said incense. Since both are good smell conotations, I will have to say, I love the Red Phoenix. Pink was too girly sweet for me, but Red kicks butt!

Conclusion: great staying power and throw, this is so lovely. Yet another LE that I love, *sigh*. Maybe there is a catalogue scent that is similar? I gotta quit buying LE's and falling in love.

Rating 1-5, on my skin this is a 4.5 (just cuz of the candle thing).

Preconcieved notions: With the promise of tonka, mandarin, benzoin, wild plum and tobacco -- some of which are in the much-loved and wonderful Queen of Spades -- , this hooked me, however, the reviewers' comparisons to cinnamon worried me.

In the bottle: spicy potpourri.

Wet: cinammon and more cinnamon.

Drying; Ah, patchouli and cassia.

After 30 minutes... Uh ... hello? Where are the other notes? Musk ... tonka ... where are you? Benzoin, wild plum and tobacco are also MIA. Welts? There you are. I've been wondering whether you'd show up and there you are.

Gets softer after 3+ hours. Still smells of only cassia and very light patchouli. Much like potpourri.

What's going on with my skin chemistry that all the lovely anticipated notes are missing? I still have Queen of Spades.

Not for me.

Well, this one is a tricky one. I almost hesitated to review this, but considering I love it, I simply had to review. Even my friends pick out totally different things when I wear it.

In the Bottle:

There’s a sharp cinnamon smell, with red musk and a smidge of patchouli. My mother smelled it once from the bottle, and said it smelled like smoke. My best friend smelled it from the bottle, and she said she could only smell the cassia.

Wet:

For the first few minutes, it’s overpowering. Cinnamon, with cloying musk. It almost borders on a little too sweet for me, but I’m sensitive to sweet scents. Perhaps it’s the plum I was smelling.

Dry Down:

The sweet portion of the scent calms down and starts to become replaced with a trace hint of tonka. It’s still strong on the cinnamon, and the patchouli is doing a rather good job at complimenting it. But don’t be fooled, there isn’t a lot of patchouli in this. Or on me.

Dry:

Now this is where it becomes hard to review. When I first tried it out, all I could smell was cinnamon. Then after a few weeks, I would smell cinnamon with tonka. Essentially, it’s never always the same when I wear it. Nowadays, it comes off with red musk, benzoin and tobacco in the lead, followed very closely by cinnamon and tonka. The wafting power is actually pretty good, but also very interesting. If someone is following me, all they smell is a spiced vanilla.

There have been occasions where I have worn Red Phoenix, and woken up with it still on. By then, it’s just red musk.

But I must say, this is my favorite Bpal, and a wonderful opposite of Nuclear Winter, which is another favorite LE of mine. I do hope Beth releases this again on the fourth anniversary, because it’ll definitely be a double bottle purchase.

In bottle: Spicy and slightly fruity. The patchouli is faint, but something like cinnamon tickles my nose. It is a red, red, red fragrance. It is a bit musky, but to my nose overwhelmingly the chinese cassia.

On me: It smells like cinnamon potpourri to me. I've tried rolling the bottle to mix the oils further and reapplying, and that's still all I detect, but with hints of smoky patchouli and red musk. It's definitely a scent that reminds me of a Chinese herbalist's shop, but it's not a perfume for me.

Red Phoenix is electric. It smells like magic and fire and friction. Once the cinnamon fades, it reminds me of the Red Poppies sticks from Incense from India. It’s not one for attaching your nose to your wrist—it needs air to excite the flame. This oil warms my air and water personality and seems to fulfill some elemental need.

Oh, YUM. I traded a bottle of Carnivale for this and boy am I glad. This is what I wanted Carnivale to smell like but it didn't.

All cassia at first, but the fruit and resin notes warm up soon. The tonka, tobacco and resin notes add creaminess and a smoky roundness to the fruit and cassia. The musk just kind of wafts through it all and the patchouli, surprisingly, has not shown up....omg am I glad I have a bottle of this. It may be more of a fall-winter scent than spring, but I'm still very happy with this swap.

Edited by bifemmefatale

In the bottle: Sweet red musk and plum. It's awfully sickly, and I have deep fear of red musk.

Wet: Funky red musk, very very sweet. I can't really place what the sweetness comes from. Oh, and patchouli, somewhere in the background.

Drydown: Still a huge amount of red musk, which isn't far from making me feel sick. At some point it becomes a bit subdued - phew! - and gives way to a very light scent of wild plum, which is quite pleasant. I also get this smooth, woody tonka scent, and a cinnamon and spicy scent at the end. But the overall effect is a general yuck.

Overall: Ick ick ick. The red musk really surpassed itself on me and smells absolutely foul, and paired with the extremely sweet plum and the tonka, it becomes really disgusting. It smells like a perfume you'd smell in a prostitute's boudoir, cheap and sickly. So yes, decadent if you like, but unfortunately of the icky variety. Oh dear, off to swaps, quick!

Edited by Meg

In the bottle: Warm, spicy, I'm not sure what I'm smelling, but I like it.

On: Strong, almost overpowering sweetness, I can smell musk too, but I'm sure it'll calm down.

wait.... oh no, there's something in here I'm allergic to! Gads! It's so pretty, too, but off to the swap pile it goes.

:P

Warm and peppery in the bottle, the musk and tonka mix nicely with tobacco and patchouli for a heady spicy blend. My skin takes the tonka, patchouli and cassia in a wet blend of sweet spices. As it dries, the cassia and plum really come out in a blast of powdery floral and fruit. The benzoin - a scent that is camphorous in nature - also comes out making this very medicinal and throaty. As the scent warms, the musk and tonka mix with the benzoin and patchouli, leaving the floral and fruit notes in the background to create a very heady smoke blend. While this is warm and interesting, it gives me a headache. Byebye Phoenix.

The first thing that hits me(in the bottle), is cassia, but not like, WOW. There's a *very* subtle, and quite lovely, hint of plum. Once it touches my skin the cassia strengthens a bit but again, not at all overpowering. Aside from the patchouli and tobacco, which ground and round it out beautifully without screaming, "HERE WE ARE!", the other notes are so well blended that I can't really distinguish them. I *think* I catch lovely whiffs of them here and there but can't swear to it.

After an hour or so, it becomes an exquisitely beautiful, rich, slightly smoky, very sexy skin scent. As per my Beloved, "Mmmmm, I want to lick you all over...." :D

And that's why I have another bottle on the way :P

a spicy, warm scent. the cassia and tobacco really stand out, the red musk is lovely, and sometimes i get whiffs of sweet plum. can’t smell the mandarin at all (which is good) nor the patchouli (which is bad). it kind of reminds me of walking into a candle/potpourri store, but i don’t mean that in a negative way at all. i find this scent very comforting and it would make a great room scent around the holidays.

Red Phoenix

In the bottle: Benzoin! And what must be cassia, cinnamon's spicy cousin! Sweeter than I imagined... :D

On me/wet: Spicy and warm. In fact, kinda burny on my left wrist (but not the right). Surprisingly, I'm not getting any musk or patchouli out of this, all to the good. :D Instead, the benzoin (but not tonka), cassia, and a hint of mandarin are combining. No tobacco yet.

Drydown: Much the same. Spicy, warm, definitely get the cassia. The tonka and benzoin blend to form a slightly vanilla-y background, and if I huff really hard I get a whiff of plum. :P It's very pretty, but I think it's more of a autumn/winter scent.

Edited by scourgeotheseas