Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Cobra Lily

Sharp, heady and viciously carnivorous.

This is Tiger Liliy's slinky older sister. Since Snake Oil is my all time favorite, I love lilies, (and secretly wish the Sorting Hat had put me in Slytherine) I had to try this baby, with her snakey reference. I am not disappointed. It is sweet and fresh with a spicy bite. No sneezy soap smell here. This may be my favorite BPAL floral.

The opening blast of Cobra Lily is simply delicious -- a thick, sticky, heady, deep-yellow/orange sweetness. Unfortunately, that stage (and the scent itself) doesn't last terribly long on me, but it really is wonderful. :P

Edited by Katinka

straight sniff from imp is lots of floral ... with some spice.... :P just a tad mind you.....upon application this turns very floral on me and is quite unique.....i like it although the lasting power is nil with my chemistry....*sigh*

This was a frimp from one of my swaps or an extra from a decant circle, otherwise I wouldn't have tried it so I am glad to have had the opportunity. It smelled sweet and orangy but with a bite, but unfortunately, it faded very quickly. I loved it for the first hour or so, if that long, and thought about what a nice, different for me, summery scent, but alas, it was not meant to be.

:P

A rush of lily that dries down into a subtle lotiony scent. I'm glad I got to try this one, and will use up the imp - but there are just sooo many floral scents that this is unlikely to become a big bottle. Too bad, because it's definitely bottle-worthy.

A lovely fresh floral with an edge of pleasant sharpness to it at the outset. It has the feel of an elegant traditional perfume. Nothing soapy about these lilies --- it actually doesn't read to me as a familiar lily scent at all, which is a good thing. A lucky lab frimp.

Got the imp from our wonderful Emzebel.

I was pleasantly surprised that a non-rose floral worked on me. This rarely happens. Nice lily with a bite, some spices there, I cannot tell which. More like an idea of spices, orange peel perhaps. Beautifully balanced, floral, fresh, and not too sweet. I love it.

Unfortunately, my skin just drinks this neat, no water or ice. It has minimal throw on me, even when wet, and is completely gone in half an hour. I will use the imp for sure, it’s too pretty, but no bottle for me.

Edited by weaver

In the bottle - Lily oddly enough. But not overwhelmingly so. Surprisingly sweet.

Wet on me - Very soft and delicate, but almost as if the actual scent is just out of reach.

Dry on me - A sweet almost honeyed floral. Florals aren't really my thing, but I like this, it doesn't last very long though.

I was able to try this as a part of Quikslvr's GC Circle Swap.

This reminds me a bit of Sundew (it must be the carnivorous sweetness), except instead of being very yellow smelling like Sundew, it smells like more of an orangey red. I don't really smell lily in this (usually lily smells kind of soapy on me). I think it may have some Dragon's Blood in it too.

I need another imp of this. I'm really liking the carnivorous flower blends!

reviewed courtesy of Quikslver's GC circle swap

avh_egc01.jpg

Cobra Lily

first sniff: beautiful floral - bright and summery!

tested wet: much the same like sticking your face in a big garden bouquet.

tested dry: a light incense-y note starts to emerge and give the fragrance more depth and complexity.

conclusion: I like this - it's going on my imp list!

3/5

this one is interesting. it's a bright strong floral. not really 'soft' at all. almost tropical in a way. at first it smells a bit too potpourri-ish for my tastes, but once it softens some slight spiciness seems to come out. it fades a bit too fast, but it's really pretty!

Cobra Lily is so pretty! The description is "sharp, heady" and "carnivorous." I don't get that at all from this. My first impressions are that it's soft, round, and has a touch of something that I'd say is "seductive." The blend slightly reminds me of another BPAL blend, and until I can figure out which one, it's going to drive me nuts! This is a subtle blend on my skin. It has good staying power, but sticks very close to my skin. I would love to use this as a room fragrance.

I love this one! It smells bright and slightly fruity. It's a little bit green, but the fruitiness stays around too. It's pretty and light and feminine. It's sweet and rather deceptively charming. Like it's trying to be innocent but underneath it's not innocent at all.

Also it's a red oil, and I almost always love the red ones.

Edited by filigree_shadow

Disclaimer: When they make me sneeze and snot-up at the first whiff from the imp, I pass on actually trying them.

In the imp: Floral, with a whiff of cherries and something sharp and tingly underneath -- perhaps either menthol or eucalyptus. It smells like cough drops to me, and made me sneeze four times in rapid succession.

First sniff: Lily-flavored bubblegum. …What? I swear that’s what it smells like. It’s mostly lily, but there’s something in here that makes it very sweet and very PINK.

Wearing: It’s just really really sweet. No soapiness, as I usually get with lily, but it’s too sweet for me to wear.

In the imp: Strong, spicy floral. Almost designer "perfumy". Not good. I'm not a big fan of florals...

On wrist: The perfuminess(is that a word??), dissipates within seconds and this turns into a gorgeous, spicy floral with a bit of sweetness in the background. After about 20 minutes, lovely, sweet, floral incense. The sweetness in this feels dangerous. A seductive, come hither, before the fatal bite.

Very nice throw without overwhelming and lasting power is good, too.

Do really need to add this to my bottle list? Can I really afford to? No. Am I going to? Yep.

This is beautiful.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Lilies!

Pre-review thoughts: Lily, I'm guessing?

In the imp: Lily! I know this note very well, as my grand-mother loved lily-scented things, and her house always smelled of lily candles, lily incense, real lilies, etc.

On skin, wet: Lily, of course. Sweet, but almost deceptively so, as something sharp lingers beneath. A little unsettling, scent-wise.

On skin, dry: Sharp, dusty, powdery and floral. I don't mind lily, but it's not one of my favourite notes. As it dries, as most floral notes tend to do on my skin, it becomes just a little sour. I definitely agree there's a little cinnamon, clove or dragon's blood.

Conclusion/Notes: As a side note, is this supposed to be an orange-red colour? My imp (a frimp from the Lab) is a very un-remarkable pale yellow-orange colour. Is this odd? Hmm. Anyway, this is far too strongly floral for me, un-floral girl I normally am.

A very interesting scent. I smell lilies. I don't know what cobra lilies are, and I'll assume they are orange, being the oil is quite orange. But this scent smells white to me. It has a subdued, hidden, cala lily scent to it. Quite lovely and quaint.

Wow this is an amazing floral blend...

It does have bite..it does have attitude - this is NOT your grandmother's floral perfume.

:D

I seriously am in love with this..and am shocked that I have found another floral blend that I can wear without feeling ill...

There appears to be some kind of fruit notes in this...

Something very similar to what was in a Chaos Theory II blend that I had tried..that I couldn't put my finger on...I wish I knew what it was...because I like it so much.

This is beautiful - I must have it in a 5ml. :P

This really just strikes me as pure lillies, but then I'm not so good at picking out subtle nuances in scents. It's clean and simple; I hate florals but I love this, probably because it's not a floral blend, but a single flower. Really lovely.

I'm definitely picking out lilies and dragon's blood here (there had to be dragon's blood given that wonderful color!). It's comparable to Tiger Lily, but where TL is sweet and fresh and innocent, CL is dark and syrupy. I can't always wear dragon's blood, so I think I'll stick with Tiger Lily (I'm trying this through the GC Circle Swap), but I'm glad I got to try it. If dragon's blood likes me better someday this will be at the top of my list.

After immediate application, this is a sweet, yet dark floral and fruit scent. It has a lot of throw -- I can detect it loud and clear while typing. It smells not merely ripe, but overripe... not decayed, but at the point where a given fruit (a blood orange, for example) is swelling and ready to burst. Boozy, almost... but I like it. It announces itself clearly and swaggers.

I think I’m picking up a honey undertone, but I really don’t mind. It really does smell like something fermenting -- it’s floral, undoubtedly, but there’s fermenting fruit as well. It’s like a mead, almost -- this is a sweet, confident, distinctly corrupted scent on my skin. I approve of it. It has confidence, and I like its confidence. I wouldn’t want to wear it to work, but it would be a great scent for barhopping, GMing, or some other casual, non-sexy activity where I want to feel cheerful and confident and have strong presence.

Still rather honeyed, and fruity and flowery on top of it. Blood orange remains in my mind... it has that floweriness to its scent while still being definitely and clearly a fruit. This seems much more fruity than flowery, and I adore the honey. It could be too clean a scent without the booziness, but it’s simply luscious with it.

It faded fast, and may not have much staying power on my skin, but that’s what reapplication is for -- and it reduces the chances that I’ll knock somebody inadvertently dead with my scent.

I doubt I’ll acquire a bottle, but that’s only because I don’t see myself having sufficient opportunity to wear it. This made me very happy.

I can never remember what lilies are supposed to smell like, so I can never remember if it's a note I like... if that makes any sense. So I tried this with an open mind.

Anyway, I really like it! Something about it reminds me a lot of Evening Star, but I don't think Evening Star even has lilies. They are both sweet, clear, "round" florals. I agree with the people who think Cobra Lily has some dragon's blood in it. There's definitely something a bit resinous and syrupy, especially in the drydown.

Mine is a medium-yellow color, not bright red, so maybe there's some variation from batch to batch.

Lasting power is excellent for me, and throw is pretty good too.

I shall treasure my frimp.

*edit* Evening Star does have lily in it after all.

Edited by bristlecone

Oooh, the rare spicy floral. This blend has a rich thick scent when wet that mellows out and sweetens up a bit as it dries. I don't get the cloying scent I associate with many lilies. Overall I really like it.

This reminds me in feel of Chrysanthemum Moon.