Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
UltraViolet

Sed Non Satiata

A pounding heartbeat coalesced into scent: demonic passion and brutal sexuality manifested through myrrh, red patchouli, cognac, honey, and tuberose and geranium in a breathy, panting veil over the darkest body musk.

Holy WTF. It's bottled peanut butter! At least, that's what it smells like in the imp and wet. Honestly, it's not hype. It's so odd that it smells like peanut butter, but it's still SEXY. The drydown is much more what I expected, it's smooth cognac and gentle florals. I never thought I'd say that florals were yummy, but this is just gourmand enough to keep the shampoo/diaper trend that florals take on with me at bay. I really like this scent, it's warm and comforting once you get past the funky first stage. :P Edited by Shollin

No peanut butter here :P

In the bottle, this reminds me of Snake Oil...doesn't smell like it, just something... The same *feel* to it, I guess.

On skin, there's an almost peppery spice that really kicks in for the first couple minutes and there's a slightly sharp floral edge to it, both fade away quickly. As a few more minutes go by, it starts to sweeten a bit. Beautifully blended while allowing all the notes to shine through. There's also a slight incense-y smokiness to it(the myrrh?), lovely!

Warm, voluptuous...Exquisite!

No peanut butter here. There must be some weird nose chemistry thing going on with that... The dominant notes I get are musk and honey, which make it seem to me a bit like a cross between Haunted and O.

But in the early stages it's got more complexity, and the floral notes are more present, although not enough to be overpowering, even on my floral-amping skin. In that phase, it's a bit reminiscent of Gypsy Queen or Desire, in that interesting, complex, floral-but-not-too-floral sort of way. The florals die down over time, though, leaving mainly the musk-honey scent, which has reasonable staying power.

I don't get a whole lot of cognac -- maybe a very faint boozy note to start with, but it's not very dominant. And I don't really get myrrh or patchouli to any noticeable extent, except maybe as a balancing influence keeping the florals in check. They're not really identifiable as themselves, anyway.

Overall, it's heady, very feminine (more so than most scents I wear) and dead sexy. I find it a little more "perfumey" than most BPAL scents, but not in a bad way -- it's more like some expensive French perfume than anything you'd find in a drugstore. Very nice, though not altogether my style. Still, I could definitely see myself wearing it sometimes.

Grade: B/B+

Lately, I've been running across a lot of fragrances that are very stable and long-lasting on me. Sed non Satiata is one.

It smells like baby powder sexed up with musk and spice and a little bit of florals. It's very...vintage, actually. I like it quite a bit. I especially like how the myrrh is well-balanced, and doesn't get too "tangy."

At the very end of the day, the cognac note finally comes out to play, but only after it's faded and become more of a skin scent.

at first: dark. i can smell the patchouli, but there is something else in it that i don't like.

on: red patchouli, which isn't good. for some reason, red patchouli and i do not get along.

1 hour later: red patchouli and something sweet. not as bad as at first, but not good.

2 hours later: much sweeter. definitely nicer. not spectacular or anything, but a nice scent.

overall: this scent just didn't work for me.

I ordered this as an experiment. I don't tend to get on well with musks, but I thought BPAL's might just possibly be different, and the other notes looked intriguing. I didn't expect much, really.

I'm most pleasantly surprised. This is a warm, sweet, woody musk I can wear. I don't get individual notes; it stays pretty steady and well-rounded. It feels sophisticated and luxurious, like something that would go with dark jewel-toned velvet.

Definitely a keeper.

This came to me a as frimp in my latest order. Overall I liked it. It was what I was hoping for with "O." I will be keeping the imp and will probably order another imp when it runs out, but I'm not sure I'll get a big bottle of it.

The redux -

No peanuts for me either.

In the Imp - honey, amber fading to the alcohol note I wanted to say... Scotch (checking the Lab description: Cognac)

On Skin Wet - still the cognac, florals, and amber

starts drying to a sweeter more amber notes

On Skin Dry - Initially, warm honey, a little musky and a powdery floral note is starting to come through. After abotu 30 minutes, more floral has appeared while maintaining the amber undertones.

Wow, I don't know what happened. Sed Non Satiata turned more soapy than any other blend I've ever tried, and stayed super soapy for a long time. Eventually I thought I smelled rosewood and currant, but...well... I don't think those notes are really in this blend. Holy soap. :P

So I couldn't quite tell what I was smelling in the vial, but it was vaguely sweet and slightly Snake Oil-ish. So I swabbed a bit on my wrist, sniffed, and gagged. I got straight tuberose and geranium up my nose. I backed off and took a much more reasonable sniff. I got Snake Oil that smelled like it had gone running through flowers. It was a bit too sickly sweet, but had promise. So I let it dry and soften for awhile before sniffing again. This time I got the honey and myrrh instead of flowers. It took on a warm, sexy scent that really did remind me of Snake Oil only sweeter. However, there's still something a little off about the scent that just doesn't work with my nose. I don't think I'll be getting rid of the imp though.

On first application, this is an enveloping musk, punctuated with honey and a light floral note. Wow! It's bold and it's seductive, and quite dominating.

As it dries, the blend becomes a little spicier, and it's more easy for me to detect the earthiness of the patchouli. It gets lighter over time, a brooding red and golden glow that's still demanding and sweet. The honey, however, ends up overriding the florals, making it a touch too sweet for me.

i keep being reminded of the "skin musk" in Wanda, and layering that with Perversion.

but where Wanda is sweet, this is spicy. and where Perversion is tobacco, this is musk.

it's so lovely! i can't stop sniffing myself.

sure, it sounds sweet in the description, all that honey and tuberose -- but in fact is this a spicy skin musk that is reminiscent of Snake Oil, but just so.... oh. i can't describe it. it makes me think of wood paneled room, wood that's been polished with beeswax. there are candles lit, paddles, and ropes, and blindfolds, and dildoes lie used and abandoned scattered on the floor. two (or more?) bodies moving rhythmically.

this is the scent of a sensual and intense fuck, it's wet lust, it's raw sex, it's soft skin on skin, it's teeth in the back of your neck.

hell yes!

n.

Edited by zenvodunista

In the imp: I was excited when this one came out, but just got around to nabbing a sample. This smells as lovely as I had hoped it would; I pick up on the sweet notes, but there's also the patchouli, musk and myrrh to give it some "grounding."

Wet: NO! Oh honey, you are slowly becoming enemy number one! This is going foody-stale on me. It smells, quite frankly, like slightly soured milk on my wrist. Sadness!

Drydown and wear: The stale smell doesn't go away, and it isn't until hours later that I can detect any of the other notes. By that time, the oil itself is so weak that few people could pick up on it. However, if the sweet notes don't bother you, this smells beautiful in the imp, and has lasting power.

In the bottle:

A very heady booze and... peanut butter lol

On me:

The peanut smell is there... however I don't find that it makes this blend actually smell like peanut butter. It's more like something sweet and nutty in the background, and I rather like it. It does not come off as foody in the least. The musk is very prominent, it's very warm and comforting. The patchouli adds an earthy gritty touch to this and the cognac is heady.

It's really very interesting, and a rather hard blend to describe I think. It's very bold, but comforting and sensual too. The honey is just a slight sweet touch to this, but otherwise this doesn't come off as foody.

Final note:

This is really nice. It's not *quite* what I expected, but I'm not disappointed either. I think I may have to get a bottle. It's complex I think, and rather appealing.

Mrrr, I love Sed! I had expected to; but this surpassed my expectations. The honey was the first thing I smelled- I'd forgotten the notes when I tested it, but I was positive it had honey just sniffing it. The honey is the strongest note, with the patchouli ( :P!) as a noticeable backup note, and the musk too. I don't pin the myrrh down specifically- perchance because I'm not sure what it smells like. I don't notice a boozyness, but I often either don't notice booze notes or hate them if I do, so I'm glad. I really love the deeper, spicier BPAL scents, and this is definitely one. Anyway, the gestalt of these scents all together is just delightful. They become more than a sum of their parts, like the best BPALs. I will absolutely, totally need a full size of this. I'll have a hard time choosing between this and O some days! The honey of this one does fade a bit, though, allowing the spicier notes out to play.

Full on 5 out of 5, one of the best catalogue scents I've tried by far (and I dunno how many I've tried so far, but dozens).

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

This is lovely. It got a complement from my very sleepy hubby this morning, unasked for, which is impressive.

It's a very blended scent to me - I can't pick out one note as something dominant, which I like.

It maintains a similar quality wet and after a while, although as it dries, it gets softer, and slightly sweeter.

It's not so much the scent of a good fuck, as it is the scent of the afterglow - it was a wild night, with toys and booze and honeydust, and now, you're laying there spent, exhausted, and limp, smiling, and waiting for sleep to rush over you.

Hmm....sounds like a plan for tonight.

I tried this because of the comparisons to Smut, although patchouli and I don't get along well.

Wet- Cinnamon? Wha? Flowers and cinnamon.

Dry- This quickly becomes a boozy note which washes away the flowers (but not cinnamon), and just as quickly a musk note rises and blends in. After about 2-3 minutes, the honey note rises from the bottom where I could barely smell it to the top, where it mingles with the deep musk and cognac (and it most definitely is cognac) to become a wonderful boozy, deep, sweet and slightly cinnamony blend.

Sed Non Satiata

In the imp: honey! That’s the strongest note, but there’s something darker underneath. No peanut butter-at least not yet.

Wet on skin: ah, now I get the peanut butter effect! How odd. It’s like honey and peanut butter, but I don’t mind too much-I love peanut butter (to eat, that is).

Dry: nuts! It really does smell like peanut butter now, with honey on top. Something that is nice on toast, but strange as a perfume-though certainly not disgusting. However, deeper sniffs breaks this scent into separate notes and it moves away from peanut butter into something sexier. I get cognac adding a hint of booze to the honey scent, and possibly some deep, dark myrrh and musk, geranium and a tiny hint of tuberose. I think this is growing on me and it seems to improve over time. I love the honey-myrrh sweetness this has, and the honey note in this is delicious.

After a while: after half an hour, I realise that the ‘nutty’ scent is actually patchouli, and it smells more like patchouli now, so it’s like golden sweet honey drizzled all over patchouli with hints of myrrh and I can make out a lovely skin musk underneath. I don’t get blatant florals though they can just be detected.

After one hour…oh my. This smells really gorgeous now. Golden honey adds it’s sticky sweetness, patchouli and myrrh gives the effect of clouds of incense smoke, and there’s a wonderful warm musk, and now the tuberose is stronger, and it rounds the scent off really nicely, making this a gorgeous mixture of sweet, incense like, floral and musky notes. As far as ‘sexy honey’ goes, this one is much better than O.

Verdict: this is an unusual scent but it’s one that is growing on me. Yes, I am one of the people who got the peanut butter effect when I applied it, but it wasn’t as bad as I expected-and it does fade away and the scent becomes more sensual and seductive and smells truer to its description. The honey note is wonderful-not too sharp, it’s sweet and golden and wonderful. Underneath that I get deep, smoky patchouli and myrrh and a hint of smooth skin musk, with just a touch of floral and booze to round it off. So, though this starts off smelling like something you’d put on toast, it then evolves into something decadent, rich, complex, intriguing and sexy, and the drydown is incredible. I’m keeping the imp and seeing what happens when this ages, and I might consider getting a bottle…

No peanut butter here either.

its very close to the skin...so someone has to breathe on you to get a taste of it.

its sweet, tantalizing, delicious...and it defintely adds to sexual energy...:P

Love it.

Had to try this, just because it sounds so damn sexy, although Teh Smut ended up being too bitter on me and Sed sounds like the same "family".

OMG, I can totally understand the "peanut butter" reviews. :P There's a crunchy, nutty topnote happening here, really quite weird. The basenote definitely has the "swarthy" musk of Smut, but softer and not bitter at all--must be the influence of the honey and florals, although I don't smell them distinctly. Eh, it's all right on me, but it can't compete with O, my secksay scent of choice. *swoon*

Passion in a bottle. God, this is good.

Honey usually smells gross on me -- like bready play-doh. Ugh. I was so looking forward to O and Dana O'Shee and Alice, and they just didn't work. Very disappointing.

But the patchouli and cognac with those subtle flowers seem to be exactly the right combination with honey for me. It's smooth and sultry and languid. Reminds me of a cross between Smut and La Petite Mort, but it's not as boozey as Smut and not as sweet as La Petite Mort. It's just right.

Aaaaah, Sed Non Satiata. I am slavishly devoted.

My original review perished in the board crash. :D

This was a frimp from the Lab--I'd been part of a big group order, and we divvied up the frimps, and this was one of the ones I got.

Wet, I do get a slight peanut butter scent!

As it dries down, the peanut butter goes away; it doesn't stick around long enough to be annoying. The note that dominates is the red patchouli, which seems to have a strong similarity to dragon's blood on my skin. This is a very, very good thing.

Underneath the patchouli/dragon's blood note, there is still a slight nutty note. The honey doesn't really add another scent, so to speak; it just sort of rounds out the patchouli and gives it a sweet mellowness.

This has been compared to Smut a lot, but it doesn't smell like Smut at all on me. I love both of them. :P But for different reasons.

Scent in bottle: Skin musk, myrrh, and patchouli, with some of the cognac and honey in the background. *is dubious* That sort of musk sometimes does unfortunate things on me...

Scent on me:

Wet -- I smell like some sort of honey-nut breakfast cereal, plus heavy musk. *boggles*

Dry -- Honey, musk, and patchouli.

Conclusion: Not terrible, but really not me, I think. I'll keep it around to see if my skin chemistry morphs, then send it back out again.

Basically, I ordered this because of the similiarities with Smut I'd heard about. I don't think I'd gotten my Smut order by then, so I didn't know that I wasn't so big on Smut. Basically, this is honey and red musk. I sort of thought there was peanut butter in the beginning, but then again, it might've been the power of suggestion (I really should stop reading reviews before I test scents). It's incredibly strong, perhaps not so much in the throw aspect, but more in the sense that it seems to clog up every one of my scent receptors (or whatever they're called). It's like that feeling you get when you breathe water up your nose before it's gone high enough so it can get down to your lungs; it's just incredibly overwhelming. After a few hours, it smells vaguely of...Snake Oil musk. Now, after six hours, it's finally fadind and is mostly honey with a splash of musk.

In Bottle: Holy musk and patchouli Batman!

On Skin: This is one of the darkest scents I’ve ever smelled. The musk and patchouli are very dominant and smoky. I can smell the honey, the main reason I got this scent… and although it is sweet, it’s like it’s stickiness has snared the musk and patchouli and won’t let them go. They just sit there on top. The tuberrose is light but provides a tart floral note in the background. The cognac is slightly boozy but compliments the honey nicely… sweet and almost syrupy. The description of this scent is perfect… It feels overwhelmingly passionate and sexual… to the point where it’s almost “wrong”. As it develops, yay! The patchouli fades some while the musk covers it. I hated this scent at first, but now I am loving it! For some reason… the scent reminds me of a “darker and spicier” version of La Fee Verte… I smell something sweet and tart in it that is similar, but of course this is a super dark scent compared to the bright green feel of La Fee Verte. I really like this scent, but sadly it fades SUPER quick. Within 20 minutes it’s completely gone. I want to get a bottle, I guess I’ll just have to slather…

PS: I didn’t get anything peanut buttery from this… :P

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Bad.

In the imp: Musk, honey and (good!) patchouli.

On skin, wet: Divine, smokey honey grounded by warm, earthy (but not dirty!) patchouli. There's something floral (tuberose and/or geranium, I expect) lingering beneath. Very musky, but not too heavy or dark. Myrrh and "dark" musks usually turn awful on me, so, so far, I'm both surprised and in love.

On skin, dry: This is... not good on me. It started out wonderfully: musky, warm and almost silky, but suddenly, it smells old, decrepit, oddly liquidic, with a handful of dirt thrown in for some twisted sort of good measure. This is, of course, the doing of the e'er-dastardly myrrh and dark musk; the patchouli isn't helping matters, going rotty and dirty. Beneath that, there wafts a bit of thin booze: the cognac.

Conclusion/Notes: Bad stuff, this one, once it dries. It's not Sed's fault, of course — while wet I was all but making a note to order a 10ml with my next order. I gave the myrrh, patchouli and dark musk the benefit of the doubt — sometimes they behave, when separated — but they betrayed me. Stupid skin of mine.

Edited by Aredhel