Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... This scent reflects the futurism, self-indulgence and excess of the Glitter 70’s: champagne, hyacinth, tuberose, ylang ylang and flashing white musk with jonquil, tobacco flower, white sandalwood and a pale poppy.

Well, the pale poppy, champagne, and ylang ylang are not in love with my chemistry. The scent is ok. Reminds me of Sleepy Moon, which I had tried before Stardust. There's a similar perfumey, yet green note. Overall, ok but I wouldn't invest in a full bottle.

Wow, this really does smell like hairspray in the bottle and upon initial application. The hairspray smell does dampen after a few minutes but never entirely fades. Instead, it melds with the scent of light, white flowers. I love how well this scent captures a particular idea but I don't think I will wear it.

:P I finally got to try this today...and...IT IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE BPAL OIL EVER!!! :D

Of course,i was biased to love it by the description (my email for the past 8 years or so has been 'nancystardust';on LJ i'm 'aquanetluv'...and that counts for nothing beside my love for all things glittery,music and fashion wise...).

i get a little bit of a hairspray note with this,but it's a good thing. Like Aquanet Extra Super Hold before it's been on my hair from 8pm til sometime the next afternoon : p. Mainly,though,i get CHAMPAGNE...and tuberose...and POPPY.

If this were available by the gallon,i'd have to come up with a creative way to bring in the cash to fund my new habit. i know this bottle is going to get used up very,VERY quickly.

12 out of 10 :D

I have to be honest, this one smelled a little like hairspray in the bottle. Not to be deterred, I slathered it on. A little aqua net at first, and then it transformed into the most wonderful scent. The poppy and tobacco are amazing together. It's a very sophisticated scent, something you would wear for a cocktail party. I love it so much! This is the first blend I've tried that I've wanted to slather myself in.

In the bottle, I get AquaNet. This is by far the most "chemical" of all of BPAL's selections I've tried.

On my skin, it smells a bit like a trashy hair salon: AquaNet mingled with nail polish and cigarettes. As the oil mingles with my skin, Stardust begins to be a bit more floral, which isn't bad, but there is a fruity element that my nose doesn't quite agree with.

*gasp*

STARDUST TURNS INTO GIRLYBITS ON MY SKIN!!

Again, the guest reviewers: Brent and Shawn, my boyfriend and roommate, weigh in.

Brent: "That smells like gardenias or something." (Note: Gardenias turn awfully sickly sweet on my skin, so I'd know if gardenias were snuck into this oil somehow.)

Shawn: "That smells nice. Kind of like Sweet Tarts."

So, the fruity element is evident, and despite the positive opinions, I really don't care for Stardust at all. It reminds me too much of girlybits for me to really enjoy it. The sweaty element is a bit of a turn-off for me, but I'm glad I tried it, as I was curious about this scent, after all.

-doreen

A heady, musky floral perfume, a spark of champagne and a little cigarette smoke mingling with hairspray…I can’t believe how spot on Stardust is! It was a bit too heady when I first tried it, but after having it for a few months, I found myself reaching for it again. I only need a touch, as this mix of florals spells BIG! And mixed with hairspray…whoa! But they do soften quickly, soothed by a gentle sparkle of champagne, white musk, white sandalwood and a touch of dry tobacco. These notes are the star players now. I imagine my older sisters scented just like this in the late 70’s…at the height of a big night out on the town. While I’m at home tucked up in bed cuddling the dog, they’re discoing the night away to Michael Jackson, The Bay City Rollers, Sister Sledge and CHIC Le Freak. What a night.

Now HERE at last, is a serious PERFUME from BPAL. Smokey and floral and sweet and tangy all in one, where the notes blend together in that dizzying Macy's-Sales-Lady scent way. Ironically, this smells incredibly like one of my MOTHER'S favorite perfumes. Well, in the bottle at least. Wet on my skin, the throw isn't too terrible and the notes are separating a little. I'm getting a sweet-sticky tang of what I assume is the champagne; the rubrose, hyacinth, ylang ylang and poppy hover just above that while the base is a musky and dusty floral mix that I assume is the jonquil, tobacco flower and poppy. There's a faint herbal tang to this that makes it slightly warmer than any of the florals account for but that very well may just be the musk. I want to lick my wrist and savor this wet oil. As it dries, it gets more smoky, like a garden-flower variety incense - both floral and smoky, the musk dampens the scent and the boozy note is almost gone. By the time it's warmed up, I seriously just smell an incense-y type of scent, floral and smoke with a dash of musk for depth. From there on out, the smoky tones hold the front all throughout this one's life and death. Pleasant but a little disappointing really...

I've had this imp for awhile but hadn't tried it yet. The color kind of turned me off on it. It's an odd color. Like a tornado sky. Greenish yellow... But then while I was browsing reviews last night, I saw the description for this. And it sounded interesting so I put it on this morning. It's beautiful. It's so soft and light but at the same time it has a strength behind it. I'm afraid it might fade pretty quickly though. I love it though. I'll definitely be watching for a bottle. Eventually I'll have all of the 2005 Yule bottles at the rate I'm going! This really is pretty though. Feminine and sophisticated but just a little trampy at the same time. Perfect.

EDIT:

This actually has pretty nice staying power. It's faded some but still has a nice subtle throw. I REALLY want a bottle!!

Stardust has come to us straight out of the '70s. Beth wasn't kidding when she wrote up the description of this one! This is an incredibly complex and well-blended scent that smells just like the perfumes that were popular in the 1970s. It reminds me of the way my mom smelled whenever she and my dad would come home late at night after being out at a party. She would come into my room, and I would wake up as she'd kiss me goodnight, and I could smell her perfume mingling with the champagne on her breath and the tobacco smoke in her hair, and she seemed so beautiful and sexy and grown-up, and I wanted to smell just like that when I grew up. Well, now I can! BPAL rarely smells "perfumey" on me, but this one does and I really like it. It has a decent level of throw, and its staying power is up there with the best of them. I have two bottles and while I may imp some of it out, I am sure that over time, I will use the majority of it up.

I am instantly reminded of bee pollen at first, that powdery, somewhat honey'ish scent, and then lovely lovely florals and then tobacco leaf. I can smell the sandalwood strong in the bottle but it is very faint on my skin. I wasn't sure wht to think when I first read the reviews, being a child of the 1980's Aquanet was my best friend. But this is not hairspray'ish on me at all. Stardust doesn't know whether to be a good girl or a party girl. And I love that!

In the bottle: White musk and... ... smoke? It smells very clean.

Wet: Soapy sharp white musk, with very vague flowers and perhaps a hint of fizzy champagne. Um, it has a faint undertone of dustbin, which isn't very good.

Drydown: It stays quite sharp and soapy, with a very clear champagne note, and discreet florals coming out, a bit of hyacinth maybe. It smells quite like a handsoap, to me. And there's a very weird note that smells like a mix of sex and dirty diapers, eek! I have no idea where this comes from, but it's certainly not pleasant!

Overall: It's much too heavy on the white musk for me, and the florals aren't really my cup of tea either. It's a very fresh soapy scent to me, a bit like a more floral/boozy Bunny Musk. And that smutty note really isn't my thing, either. No, if I want champagne, I'll take Bon Vivant any day.

In the vial: Tobacco, flowers.

On me: HELLO, tobacco! Unlike other scents, the tobacco in this isn't offensive to me. It is tempered by the ylang-ylang and the lovely florals - namely, the tuberose and hyacinth, as well as the musk. I'm not sure what it is - maybe the sandalwood? - no - it's the champagne! Yes, it warms up the blend and makes me think of crazy New Year's Eve parties.

Verdict: It's a weird scent, but I'm keeping it - at least for now! I think I'll try wearing it this coming NYE - it seems fitting.

Rating: 3/5

i've had this for awhile, just hadn't had the occasion to review it...

when i was little, my stepfather taught me how to roll ciggies... so i grew up knowing the smell of tobacco very well.

in the imp, this is tobacco and hairspray.

as soon as it hits my skin, the tobacco crawls under the table, the hairspray dries, and something subtle, floral, very pretty-- happens.

sortof the smell of lots of very expensive perfumes blending -- but in a good way (smells like my grandmother's sunday school class)

this is a familiar sort of smell, something i'd want to wear to feel snuggly. probably not something the description would make anyone else feel, but i grew up around that whole clubbing atmosphere... so... in a very strange way, this makes me feel little.

i need more, this partial bottle isn't gonna last long...

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

This is a scent that I'm currently aging, but I will say that it lives up to its name and the mood/time period it's trying to evoke. When I wore it, I felt like I ought to be in Studio 54, doing the Hustle followed by a snort of cocaine off some glam boy's bare behind. It's a very strong scent, and it wore very well on me; it's the longest lasting scent I've tried. It's heavy and decadent, the scent of glitter and indulgence, not a scent for everyone's tastes, and while it's not to mine, I still give it a positive review for being so long-lasting and for being so strongly evocative.

this one SCREAMS disco 70's. it's extremely evocative and nostalgic. i can't pick out any individual notes, but it reminds me a lot of charlie perfume. it's not a bad smell, but not particularly me. it is the most traditionally 'perfumey' bpal oil i've tried so far. it stays true on my skin to what it smells like in the bottle, which is nice, because i've got the wierdo chemistry that morphs a lot of fragrances into something completely different than what everyone else seems to get from them.

it's fairly strong, with a wide 'throw' and good staying power. it's nice, but i don't know that i'll wear it often enough to justify the bottle i bought. i might make an imp or two and swap the rest to an owner that will apreciate it more.

my mom really likes this one- she was in her hey day during the disco era, after all, and she said this one definately takes her back. :P

ETA: the more i smell this, the more i like it. i think i'll keep the bottle after all. it's a little heavy for summer, but i think i actually will end up wearing it more often than i first thought. :D

Edited by purrbox

HYACINTH!! This is the only BPAL scent that is listed with having hyacinth in it. I LOVE hyacinth. My favorite commercial perfume is Happy Heart and that has hyacinth. *in love* Anyways, yes this is fantastic. It is very, very floral but these are GOOD florals!

I am so in love. This has jumped automatically into my top 10 and I am glad I bought 2 bottles recently.

First sniff: Stardust is… weird. The initial sniff is very much hairspray. After that, it’s a little bit floral, a little bit boozey, and a whole lot quirky.

Wearing: It totally smells like I sprayed my wrist with White Rain hairspray. And it dries down to hairspray. It smells like the evil hairspray of doom that my mom used to plaster my bangs with when I was in middle school. So why do I like it so much?

Hairspray, hyacinth and booze... It took a while for this scent to grow on me, but it's now my perfect party scent, enough to leave an impression but still remain mysterious to those around me. I'm so happy for Bowie inspired scents. :P

This is a really pretty floral in the imp. Unfortunately, it begins to smell faintly of tobacco on me. I'm hellishly allergic to tobacco - walking by cigar shops makes me sneeze, and smoky venues give me breathing issues a couple of hours later. Thank god this was only a sniffie.

Another one that made my top ten. This one is amazing. Definitely one to wear when going out. It has a zing that makes it stand out and lasting power so you aren't constantly re-applying it. It was love at first sniff. I wonder if the description had anything to do with it :P When I first read that I thought to myself "now THATS one I need to try". And luckily enough I love it.

To me it smells *sparkly*. That's the only word I could come up with.

This one is SO aptly named and described. I get the hairspray overtone and the sharp quality without discerning it as floral. I just get perfume smell like an expensive hairspray that I really like the scent of, only I don't get sick of it like I usually would with a commercial product. It is cold, reflective light like a flashbulb in a mirrored room that eventually warms up to the flashing sparks off of a sparkler on the 4th of July.

This doesn't ring any memory bells of being young adult in the 70s as a scent. It captures the essence of the time however. I was more of a hippy and not so nightclubby myself, and this isn't a scent that is particularly me, but it is very pretty and fun. It is so hot today and it is nice to wear something with a cool flavor to it.

In bottle: Champagne and something else.

On skin, wet: Light florals and musk, that get swirled around tobacco.

On skin, dry: A weird alcoholic floral powder.

Conclusion: I feel like I've been at the bar hidden in the fairy circle. Eek.

Rating: 0/5

After school, perched on the slippery edge of the tub, this is the best part of our day: the time my little brother and I get to spend with our beautiful mom.

She’s a single parent circa 1978, and a real-life glamour puss, getting ready for work in the cocktail lounge at the biggest hotel in town. She has long chestnut hair, twisted high atop her head in hot rollers and she has velvety, chocolate eyes, generously frosted with baby-blue shadow.

Once the rollers are unwound, she bends at the waist to brush out her fat, Farrah curls and when she pops up again, she drags heavily on the extra-long menthol cigarette balanced effortlessly between two slender, orchid-tipped fingers.

Finally, she reminds us to hold our breath and close our eyes, and a hissing rush of aerosol has us sputtering in a cloud of Final Net. She follows that with generous squirts of Charlie behind each ear and one down the low neck of her slinky black dress, and we’re proud, because we chose that perfume with the $10 she gave us to buy her a Christmas present.

She squats to give us each a quick kiss goodbye; we won’t see her again until this same time, tomorrow. And even before we catch our breath, the centre of our universe is speeding away in a gold-painted Datsun, with Blondie’s “Heart of Glass” blaring on the radio.

But the glittering cloud of the scent I will always identify with my mother is still settling in a shimmering veil on the bathroom counter, her tangle of cooling rollers, her clean panty-hose hanging from the shower curtain rod and her boy and girl, lingering on the edge of the bath.

We pretend she has sprinkled us with Stardust.

Stardust....

This is the oil that I have been wearing on/off for about 6 months or so...it's the one that is the harbinger for me back to BPAL...and the one that will break my hiatus of writing reviews.... :D

Been too long my friends...TOO LONG...and I am happy to ease myself back into the artistic maelstorm that is BPAL...

Anyway...I digress...this is supposed to be about the heady perfume oil..not about me.. :P It's been a long time so I am rusty.

BTW..the post before me was fabulous..I loved the imagery the reviewer associated with evocative Stardust...hope I do it justice.

Initial Sniff from the bottle: Aqua Net....and white grape??? Something a bit fizzy kind of tickling my nose..but not in an overt manner. It's all just extremely reminiscent to me of the 80's..specifically of high school. The girls with the big hair..carrying around the full cans of Aqua Net in their bags..along with cigarettes, candy and some cheap perfume. Wow..to just get all of that from a sniff from the bottle.

Applied wet on skin:Hairspray is still there...but I also get a nice floral too..along with that fizziness...and yes..there is a hint of tobacco. I love this oil because of its very specific "feel" it has...kind of reminds me of late nights going to a dance club decked out in glitter and sparkles...coupled with drinks and cigarettes and everything else that comes with that revelry.

Couple of minutes on skin:Aqua Net has dried offand it's all the fizzy, floral and fruity melange.....not super assertive on the skin..but not so ethereal either. Really very special and kind of "sparkling"...it's as if it gives me whiffs of fragrance that twinkle a bit...the fragrance hangs delicately around me ane every so often it asserts itself a bit...kind of like a sparkle..not aggresive..just a little "blip" and yes....you ARE still here... :D

Dry on skin:Tobacco is more in the forefront on the drydown..with the floral/fruit following...fizziness is gone..but I still get a trace of the Aqua Net.

Staying power on me is about 3-4 hours.

Bottom Line: Stardust is such an evocative fragrance. I love it because I wore it the first time my now "significant other" and I had out first date and he was besotted. :D . It's girlie without being juvenile..and has enough sex appeal cloaked in glitter, sparkles, sequins, champagne and cigarettes that will have any 80"s fan swoon and get their glitter lipgloss back out. Love it.