Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The meeting of Heaven and Earth: golden amber, galbanum, benzoin, ambrette, rockrose, costus and tonka.

2010 version.

In the decant: How very odd. I can’t seem to smell anything at all.

Wet: Warm and buttery. I’m getting mostly amber and tonka.

Drydown: Very smooth and pretty.

Later: It’s nice, but it doesn’t last. It disappears very quickly on my skin.

Decant!

Imp: Delicious amber and benzoin(?)

Wet: The intensity drops in half. Still delicious, but lacking the warmth that I've come to associate with amber.

Drydown: The warmth of the amber blends up, with a delicious creamy note - not sure what this is since I don't know what costus, galbanum, rockrose or galbanum smell like. I like this, but I'm not sure this is 'me.'

Dry: Light and creamy warmth.

My rating: 3/5

This is lovely, but I won't be getting a bottle as I don't think I'd ever reach for it.

My decant is of uncertain year (not 2010).

Sniffed: Resin-sweet; vanilla-like but not entirely so. Golden, gentle and radiant.

On skin: Sweet, nutty resins: heavy and a little syrupy, fluffy and hazy. Jacob's Ladder may be a "simple" blend without many nuances, but it is incredibly rich and full-bodied: the epitome of a cozy, comforting scent. What's more, if I huff deeply I can smell a clear, radiant note that I can't quite identify. Indeed like a halo of thick, luxurious sweet haze surrounding a heart of limpid brilliance. Jacob's Ladder really does seem like a somnolent, dreamlike vision of Heaven suffused with a warm, golden light. It also reminds me of Haloes and Lyonesse in that it runs on a similar theme (but smells somewhat different). Colour impression is rich gold touched with pink.

Verdict: What a wonderful blend! Jacob's Ladder is so comforting and evocative, but it's a bit heavy and rich, and I already have similar blends that I prefer. Nevertheless, I'm so glad I got to try this.

I have the '08 version and love it. This '10 version is a bit different to my nose. It's more 'raw' if that makes sense. Still the same warm, golden ambery goodness but it's almost like there's a bit of patch thrown in, or some other kind of dark resin. I actually like this one better, though I'm betting it will become smoother like the '08 version. On an aside note, I have a string of amber beads that smell almost exactly like Jacob's Ladder, but only when the beads are against my skin.

2010 version

Bottle: Golden amber

Wet: Sweet, syrupy golden resins.

Dry: Wet to dry is about the same.

The 2010 version is more intense than my 2005 bottle. The amber is thicker with a lovely vanilla note, where the 2005 is more of a dry amber. They are both beautiful and I love them for layering or wearing alone when I need to feel comforted.

This was a frimp from a generous forumite. :)

I expected this to be a heavy resin blend. Immediately on application, I do smell resins, but also something surprisingly high pitched - perhaps the costus or rockrose? These stop being high-pitched and become sweeter very quickly. Jacob's Ladder becomes a sweet powdery resin blend on my skin, and stays there. This is a very pretty scent. It's resiny, but not at all dark - like I'd expect a ladder into heaven to be.

2010 Version:

Resinous and gorgeous, almost foody in a way. Lots of amber and tonka with a touch of rockrose. The blend is almost spicy with with a touch of sweetness and really really golden. Not powdery at all and almost syrupy if I think about it. Sigh. I hope this is released again in 2011 because my partial decant just won't do..

ETA: ok so I decided this is a bit too sweet/sour on me. I think it's the rockrose and it is making the blend a bit too syrupy and sweet/sour. If this is ever released again I'll be interested in trying it, but I can't foresee a bottle in my future.

Edited by ciaobonefish

2011 version

In the decant it smells very light. Mild resins and vanilla. Musky, warm, vanilla with a slight feeling of herbs.

On my skin I get a beautiful warm vanilla with sweet lightly incensy resins, however, an unpleasant sour note shoves its way to the front of the line - rockrose. After a few minutes the scent mellows out and it's back to being vanilla resins. This scent makes me think of high quality vanilla dusting powder.

2011 version. I love Jacob's Ladder 08 and have a bottle of it. Amber works very well for me, and this is no exception. Very similar to 08, but more fresh and citrussy, while 08 is more resinous. The scent is like sweet vanilla sap with a fresh vibe. Love it, but I rarely wear my 08 for some reason, and don't need anymore.

I'm with Milo (both her last reviews on this blend actually). I have '08 and love it dearly-- I even tracked down another bottle last year after the '10 version seemed too light and baseless to me. This year I get the same thing.. it's lighter and less resinous than '08, which is unfortunate because it's a beautiful blend. I guess when you've smelled what it CAN be, the new versions just seem a little lacking.

In the Imp: This is the '11 version and it's absolutely gorgeous. I saw the notes and thought it should be, but then I've had plenty of moments where things turned out differently than I imagined. This is not one of them. From the imp this is strikingly resinous, but not heavy/woodsy resin. It's like bark made out of light, as romantic sounding as that is - very gentle.

Wet: The tonka pops out with its hay/vanilla-like yumminess. Paired with the amber in the background it's very creamy and soothing. It strongly evokes the scent description, which is saying a lot! I imagine a lightly pebbled dirt road in a valley full of soft light and cotton flowers...

Dry: Ugh, it just got even better. The amber comes out more fully and the cuddly warmth is amazing. This makes me want to curl up with my husband and sleep in a bed of sweet dreams. :P Fun facts on lesser known notes: rockrose is the flower from which labdanum resin is obtained, and costus is a root that has two families. One is related to ginger, and the other is often used in incense with a smell similar to musk and violets.

Verdict: Definitely getting a bottle when I have the extra funds. This is truly angelic and one of the most soothing BPAL oils I've ever had the pleasure of smelling. One of my "sleep scents" for sure, though I'll no doubt be wearing it in the day as well.

Edited by Balame

2011 version

In the bottle: Goodness, something is sour in here. I smell the resins, and they're very pleasant, but there is a definite sour note hanging out loud and proud. I've never smelled several of the notes before, so I can't pinpoint which one.

Wet, on my skin: The sour note almost disappears until it's just adding a subtle higher pitch to this, and oh my gosh this is gorgeous. I love resins and this is perhaps the nicest blend of resins I've ever smelled. There's a spiciness I'm picking up that really adds some personality to this. If I had to guess from googling note descriptions, I think that's the galbanum? The tonka adds a slight creaminess to the whole thing, and it's just sweet enough. If I had to describe it, it evokes white gold to me.

Drydown: It's getting a little powdery, but not overwhelmingly so. The sour is completely gone now, and I am firmly in love.

Dry: A very well-blended soft, slightly creamy resin.

This completely caters to my tastes. So elegant, so pretty, just. Ugh. Yes. Bottle now.

2011: Jacob's Ladder smells fantastic in the vial! It's very ambery and musky, due to the ambrette seed, I'm sure. Wet, it is pretty much the same, however, there is also a slight touch of rockrose, but it's not heady nor sharp. The labdanum also blends beautifully with the amber. Definitely a unisex blend. I like this more than last year's, since Jacob's Ladder '10 smelled drier, however, to me, this has a warm glow.

This is for the 2011 version.

In the bottle: Beautiful, well-blended, a golden scent, slightly sweet, mostly resinous.

Wet: The musk mallow that I mentioned last year is very present, but already starting to blend back into and with the other notes.

The dry-down: All resin fans should try this! The amber is trying to go a little powdery, but not too much. Without a side-by-side testing, I would say that this is very much like last year's version. If you want a warm and golden scent, this is it, esp. if you want something that's not too over-powering.

I have no idea what year my sample comes from.

Lovely sweet resins here. The golden amber is the strongest though there is some powder from the tonka. It reminds me faintly of Sheol, though it's not as dark or morbid as Sheol at all. The sweetness of the amber is offset by the somewhat darker costus and rockrose and overall this is just gorgeous.

Recommended for fans of amber and labdanum.

Edit 2016 version:

I don't remember smelling this last time, but I must have. This reminds me strongly of an old fashioned perfume, I can't think what. It's powdery, almost cloying yet oddly compelling. It smells a bit like bug spray, yet I can't stop wanting to smell it? Confusing.

As it warms up, the bug spray effect goes away.

Edited by patina

The amber, rockrose, and tonka are what I can smell on my skin, although I can perceive the other resins in the bottle.

This is a winter scent, definitely. Also, I can't say why, but it's one of my favorite labels, as understated as the image is!

2005 version:

On the skin: One of the best ambers I have smelled! This is an amber with a slight coolness running through it. Sweet and golden. LOVE IT!

2011 version:

Smells similar to the '05 version. (duh!) In fact, to my nose they smell pretty identical. The only difference I can tell at the moment is that the '11 version is a little stronger. I do think I like the '11 version a bit better.

2010 version

Something cool and sweet-smelling emerges from the bottle. On me, oh boy. Sweet, vanillic benzoin and tonka with something that reminds me a dry sandalwood, but very faint. I don't get woodsy in my face, it's just a slight hint that gives it depth. The amber doesn't turn to baby powder, THANK YOU. I want to coat myself in this! It doesn't strike me as a winter scent, I could wear this all the time.

Edit: Aging has made this even more magnificent! Smooth and resiny, I would describe this as warm and golden and glowing. It's candlelight in a bottle. The vanillic tones of the benzoin/tonka have deepened and are rich but not overly sweet. The galbanum adds a nice woodsy hint, but just a hint and the amber is that perfect type that never turns to powder. There's finally a hint of muskiness from the ambrette. All in all, this has shot into my top 10 and I hope it returns in the future so I can get backups as my only complaint is that it's just a bit too soft and fades too quickly so I have to slather.

Edited by brilliantcat

I don't know what year my bottle comes from. Maybe '08? It's definitely on the heavy side and not at all citrussy.

In the bottle: Strong "perfumey" scent -- sharp florals

Wet: Heady, sweet, cloying, oily florals -- some amber -- I don't get any resins.

Drydown: A metallic phase -- metal and oil? -- then a green note comes up. The quiet amber remains, but the scent remains mostly heavy, cloying florals on me.

Unfortunately, this gives me a headache. I'm disappointed -- I was hoping for amber and resins. Normally I amp vanilla, but apparently I amp ambrette and rockrose more. It doesn't smell remotely unisex on me -- I'll give it to one of the women I know who like rich, sultry scents.

{rf}

2010 version.

This is So beautiful. It is perfect, golden light in a bottle. Of all the bpals I own, I think this one falls into the most comforting category. It's incensey without being too strong. It's Ambery without being too powdery. It's perfectly sweet! I just love Jacob's Ladder beyond words. I look forward to trying different years and stocking up when Yule time rolls around!

An eight-year-old resinous blend is probably going to delight me!

Right away on my skin, the Ladder is a potent, earthy amber laden with musk, maybe from the ambrette, and just a little greenness from the galbanum. A soft sort of vanilla from the benzoin-tonka is also prominent, and I think that combo is also giving this a lush feeling.

A beautiful oriental and one for regular wear.

I purchased a 2010 overflow bottle from Etsy to try this, it had gotten such good reviews and I was on an amber kick so I thought this would be perfect. Needless to say, I'll be buying more.

Initially, I'm a little unfamiliar with how most of the notes in Jacob's Ladder smell individually, beside the amber and tonka! I can provide, however, as much of a specific explanation as possible to make up for what I don't know.

Opening the bottle, I find this scent to be pretty masculine. Cold-ish, maybe that is the benzoin? Almost like a whiff of some men's Axe deodorant, the Dark Temptation kind. A cold, brown scent. Amber keeps it a little warm, but I don't smell the sweetness that is tonka yet.

On skin: I was sort of weary applying it because the masculine aspect of it stays initially. It's almost pine-y. Again, I'm not totally familiar with the rest of the scents...so whatever in it that smells like pine or dark green foliage...it's in there at this stage! I think I remember the benzoin now from Lightning, it smells like ozone? It gives Jacob's Ladder an kind of metallic note. I'd say the scent is a dark grey/gunmetal/brown/dark green scent now. If it were to stay at this stage I don't think I'd like it.

Ahhh! This is where the ABSOLUTE BEAUTY comes in. It morphs quickly into a beautiful yellowy, amber scent. The tonka smooths any rough edges out, and it becomes sweet and snuggly. It still has a light pine-y smell in the background, but it is so balanced and earthy that way! It's just lovely. Warm and lovely. I believe this earthy scent is what keeps the Amber from becoming powder, like another reviewer stated. I have a bottle of Amber Musk from Whole Foods, and although it's beautiful, it had a juicier quality that turns to powder pretty quickly, and I prefer this to that

On me, this is a super perfume-y blend and very strong. I put a tiny dab on and it punched me right in the nose. This will have to be set aside to age in hopes that it calms down a bit. I can't pick out any separate notes at all. I was expecting a softer, warmer blend for sure!

2016 Version

This is the only version of Jacob's Ladder I've tried. After all of the glowing reviews, I was really looking forward to this one, but I have the exact problem with it that it appears everyone else is saying they didn't have -- the amber in this went straight to baby powder on my skin. Fancy baby powder for a baby with a fancy bottom that needs fancy scents to keep it dry and comfy in its satin nappies, but definitely baby powder. And I don't want to smell like a fancy baby's fancy bottom.

None of my other BPAL ambers have done that to me. How disappointing!

2016 Version.

I really wanted to love this one. I love amber and generally its a note of win on my skin. This is like baby poweder that got mixed in with powdered milk and then got sour. Its awful and I hate it an I need to scrub it off immediately. Gah.