Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Skeletal limbs of birch and fir coated in a thick, impenetrable blanket of snow. This is the death of the year personified.

This is quite beautiful. I'm getting the lab's snow/slush note, but it's not overly aquatic, or 'clean' smelling. Kind of like Monastery in the Mountains, but no sweet vanilla here, more of a birch syrup. I can't remember quite what The Girl smelled like, but I think they share some characteristics here. This is fresh and clean smelling, and I may try to hunt down some more, it's different, and quite lovely.

This is for the 2012 version.

In the bottle: Minty woods, with a hint of something sweet, probably the birch.

Wet: Much the same as on cold sniff.

The dry-down: Lovely winter outdoors scent that doesn't really morph. A bit more dry woods, and less like fresh green fir branches. The snow note is the minty one, and the birch (perhaps the birch bark) adds that touch of wonderful sweetness. Btw, this had more of the fir note on the SO. I love this on both of us. :)

Reminds me a lot of the frostbitten note in the snowdrift series. The cold, icy, silvery scent dominates on me. I get hints of pine, reminding me of icy, snow covered evergreen. Overall the scent has an almost airy/bubbly quality to it.

2019:

Whoa, SPRITE, where'd you come from? I'd welcome an errant visit from an Ariel or a Puck in an ambrosial blend...but that's not the kind of Sprite I'm talking about. Yes, good old fashioned soft drink kind, bubbly and effervescent, almost a twist of lime in it. It's an odd thing to find amongst the fainter notes of fir, the almost non-existent woods. Everything is draped in a heavy blanket of fizzy soda snow, and I'm not sure I'm here for it! 

2019 version. Wet, the evergreen and minty note (eucalyptus?) are strong and slightly medicinal to my nose. The scent becomes much sweeter as it dries, to a pleasant fir and birch forest with just a hint of cold from the mint. I like this, but it reminds me a bit of Ranger, which I probably like slightly better.

2019 version.

This is all about a mentholic, bright, citric snow. It definitely contains eucalyptus, which lasts on me throughout wear. It's more of a snow scent than a forest scent, with the tree notes not being super distinct on my skin and just peeking out through a blanket of snow.

I think this would be the kind of scent that would be nice to wear on sick days, because of the eucalyptus, or on days you just need something refreshing to pick you up. But I cannot see myself wearing this regularly, so I may end up passing on my decant to a friend that enjoys this sort of scent on the regular.

Edited by doomsday_disco

Cold-edged, minty ice and snow flurries on woods.

I keep thinking I smell hops, which I seem to amp, and... maybe elemi. I don't know. Definitely hops or something like it, along with birch and fir.

Pretty blend.

2019 version

This is a lovely note, and reminds me of the snow note used in 2018's Knecht Repurget a lot. Fresh on it's sweet snow, more towards the minty side of things than the snow white side of things, but sweetened up, like someone poured the snow note from Cloister Graveyard over a bowl of something sweet and creamy. There's a blast of fir, similar to older versions of Knecht Ruperchet as well, which calms down and fades behind the snow after an hour or so. It's more of a snow scent than a tree one, but I'd rather see the woods through the trees. I'm also picking up a sweeter kick, which reads a little bit like almond to me, and a trace of the birch, but it's all under a lovely creamy snow note. 

It's absolutely a cousin to Knecht Repurget, and a sister scent to The Country Gets Wilder as We Go, but it reads a little softer and sweeter.

I was gifted a 2005 bottle in the wonderful @CardamomVanilla's PIF. Having looked back over reviews, someone who noted the comparison to the aquatic of Cthulhu but in a winter wood sense made me excited to smell it even before it arrived.

I am thrilled to report a similar experience. I smell the birch and fir, softly blanketed in snow, but there is an underlying somewhat marine aquatic that makes me think of being in the WA coast woods in the snow, just near enough to catch a bit of the ocean smell, but eith the rich scent of the woods enveloping me, and minty herbal notes richly being brought out by the icy snow.

This is delightful and reminds me of winter (cabin) camping trips. If this gets made again, I'm likely to try to pick up a bottle of the newer formulation.