Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Hydrogen

Yew-Trees

Piercingly sweet berries over evergreen boughs, deepened by the tree’s sacred wood.

A very simple, pleasant, piney scent – probably my favorite "woods" scent so far. I'm not sure how often I would wear it, but I like it enough to keep the frimp.

This is a wintry scent, though not really a Christmassy one. The sweetness of the fruit does a good job balancing the sharpness of the evergreen on me, making a nice balanced scent that wears down into warm wood.

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. I was so excited about it, because I love woody/piney scents, and other reviewers said it was full-on pine drying down to creamy sweetness.

But I grew up surrounded by evergreens, and in the bottle this is like... pine-sol, to my nose. It was pine-sol on the skin, too, although it eventually became a generically sweet, bath-powdery scent after a few hours.

I wish I had skin chemistry that could render this scent as true a pine smell as the other reviewers' got.

In the imp: A fruity sweetness w/ some evergreen boughs, freshly cut.

Wet: The sweet fruit note is turning candyish, and the evergreen is pine, fresh pine.

The dry-down: Well, this is disappointing! It's become some sort of sweet and piney cleaning product. Exactly that. Must wash off, stat. Nasty. Not at all like the yew trees in an old cemetery, which is what I was hoping for.

Starts with a blast of sinus-clearing pine and bright berries that lasts no more than five minutes before my skin eats it. The result is a faint cedar and something tonka-like. That was weird! I won't be needing to hunt down a bottle.

Compared to some of the other evergreen-based scents from BPAL, this was not pine-sol on me, probably due to the berries which do in fact "pierce" through the evergreen and lend a sweetness to this scent that is quite pleasant.

Wet: Pine (which always smells almost minty to my nose) and sweet berries. it's not terrible! I don't usually like any scents with pine in them.

Dry: This is the most pleasant blend I have smelled with pine in it. To be honest, it's still not something I want to wear, pine is just really not for me. But I can appreciate how lovely it is, still, and be sad that it was discontinued. I can imagine lots of folks would have really liked it.

In the imp: Dark pine and waxy berry.

Wet: The waxy berries are the dominant note on me when first applied, with the pine in the background. Then the pine gains prominence, and it is a very dark pine note.

Dry: A mix of dark pine and waxy berries. The berries have reasserted themselves, but I am still getting a fair amount of pine as well.

After a while, the berries calm down again, allowing what I think is black pine to dominate the scent.

Verdict: I am glad that I was able to try this, but there are other forest-y scents that I enjoy more. The waxy berry note is not for me.

Yew Trees is a skin chemistry fail on me. Berries rarely work for me, but I generally love pine notes. Somehow the combination brought out the worst in both on my skin. So I got something like sickly Pine-Sol. Swaps.

In the imp: Woodsy notes (not necessarily pine/evergreen, just woods) and waxy, sweet berries. This doesn't morph much over time, and is surprisingly subtle -- it's definitely forest-like, but there's no Pine-Sol to be found here. Overall, a very low-key woodsy scent, something possibly worth seeking out if you're curious about forest scents but are wary of excessive evergreen notes.