Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

This perfume is a traditional Roman Catholic sacramental incense, most often used during a Solemn Mass. Traditionally, five tears of this incense, each encased individually in wax that has been fashioned into the shape of a nail, are inserted into the paschal candle. This is, of course, represents the Five Wounds of Our Risen Savior. Symbolically, the burning of the incense signifies spiritual fervor, the fragrance itself inspires virtue, and the rising smoke carries our prayers to God.

Well, it's absolutely a church after mass. I get a lot of smoke and resins that wafts around a big open building. It's not stuffy like incense in a small room, but like a lager space where it can waft around. There's a kind of ebb and flow to it. It's not so bad, but it feels quite solemn. I think that it's not to my taste, but resin fans will enjoy this one.

This is for the 2017 version.

It's very sweet in the bottle, with a bit of smokiness. When it hits the skin, that's when it turns to the church incense I remember from my Catholic upbringing. It's still sweet, but that familiar spiciness comes out, and it's really dead-on. I just wish it was stronger! It's not as powerful as Cathedral. The throw isn't fantastic and it doesn't last nearly as long as I'd like, but I still really love it, despite the fact that it needs reapplication. I've been looking for a scent that mimics Roman Catholic incense for some time, and this is really it!

sweet church incense. i freaking love this. i think i am getting a good handle on what works for me and what i will actually like now that i have tested over a hundred bpal in the last year and this is in the 'love it' pile. i love resins and incense. may wind up layering this with a vanilla or honey scent to make it a little less churchy but man Beths blend is dead on with this one.

2018 version.

In vial: I got cedar and incense on one test, cedar and resin on the next.

On me: Upon application: cedar! As it dries down, incense and resin come forward, a smokey/airy/smooth contemplative blend against a warm, woody cedar base. It's hugely reminiscent of Cathedral (Venerable and solemn: the scent of incense smoke wafting through an ancient church. A true ecclesiatical blend of pure resins.)--I could probably differentiate if I tested side by side, but they're functionally dupes. Lasts ages and ages.

Verdict: I feel about this like I feel about Cathedral: it's fine, but I like the intent more than the execution. I think it's the cedar, and I don't even dislike cedar--it keeps the register a little higher, a little more dry woods than deep, solemn incense and resin.

2018 Version.

Wet on Skin: Lemony incense. Strong, smoky, kind of awesome. The lemony combo makes me realize this is probably frankincense and that this is probably going to go south pretty quick for me.

Dry on Skin: Oh, are those wood & crayon shavings in an old metal school desk clinging to an old Lisa Frank binder? Yeah. Yeah it is. Hi Frankie - didn't miss you. Sorry not sorry.

To be fair, there's more in here. A strong smokey waxy well developed profile, but it's buried way in the back of this gross AF desk and that's a no go for me today.

Verdict: Frankincense wins again! Other reviews mention cedar, so maybe it's that + Frankie but it's a hard pass for me. I swear every year I try out an incense blend just to see - occasionally I have some hits. I'm surprised I've never tried this blend before now so, cross that off my list!

As a lapsed Catholic, I still have romantic yearnings about incense braziers swinging on chains, Latin chants and the like.  I expected to love Midnight Mass and tried the 2017 version, which I found disappointing.  Ever the optimist, I got a decant of 2018, and it's beautiful!  So I don't know if it's a formula change, a skin chemistry thing, a change in my tastes, or what, but 2018 Midnight Mass is a dreamy cloud of ecclesiastical incense.  On me, Cathedral goes straight to cedar shavings, while Midnight Mass stays true, slightly sweet, slightly smoky.  This could be a meditation blend if you lean towards Western rather than Eastern spirituality.  It's lovely.  No throw, which is normal on me, and about average wear length. 

2013 version. Soft, dry, resins. Very low throw. This version is so dry on me that it cries out for layering.  I was frimped a sniffy decant of the 2018 version, which is a lot fuller & more balanced on me.  I'll re-review if I get my hands on some.

I have the 2012 version so it has aged a bit just for reference.

It is an amazing churchy incense smell ( frankincense and myrrh ). There is also a darker note in there that I don't really recognize, possibly smoke?

2019 version

Alas, I am disappointed. Sweet and woody - soft, low throw. The smooth lemony frankincense of The Fiery Mountains, myrrh, and I swear there is a drop of red wine in there. Like a very gentle sibling of Practical Occultism 2018. This is actually remarkably fruity. 

Hopefully with aging the resins will get dustier and smokier like I was hoping for.

2020 version; haven't tried previous versions. I finally decided to give this a shot out of curiosity, to see if it would evoke memories of church incense as a kid (count me under the Lapsed Catholic audience for this scent). It's surprisingly sweet in the decant -- lots of resins, as expected, but also something that I swear smells like cherry. The sweetness calms down once on, and I get lots of dry resins and maybe a little bit of cedar. Solemn and peaceful. I think I was hoping for it to be a little smokier than it is, but I do like it for what it is. Not sure I'll use this enough to justify a full bottle, but I'll keep my decant.

I get the same impression sniffing this in the imp as I do Cathedral, chilly gray stone with faint whiffs of incense. On my skin it warms up a bit and get more of that resinous oomph. Overall a soft, almost woody, incense. Quiet and contemplative. 

Yep, smells like church incense to me. The duo frankincense & myrrh, but I wonder what else is in this bottle. Copal, perhaps? I hope this 2020 bottle will strengthen in scent over time. Doesn't have much throw for me.

Wet has a BPAL woody note I have smelled in many other BPALs, but can't recall specifically right now, followed up incense, and then something fruity (could be red wine like some folks have mentioned). As it dries, the red fruit comes out more and the wood recedes into the background - the incense literally is like just a puff when you sniff, then it's gone. Throw is very minimal - even for me, and I like my scents close. Like others, I am hoping some aging will make it a little stronger.

This is my first time trying Midnight Mass, and it's the 2020 version. You want incense, this is your perfume. It’s really gorgeous, moody, sacred, meditative, smooth, grounded, solemn, timeless. Inhaling deeply causes eyes to roll back in head. It smells like rich fabrics and ancient wood soaked with centuries’ worth of incense smoke. Low throw, short wear length, but full bottle worthy none-the-less.

Edited by hhelix

I'm not sure what version it is that I have, but this smells exactly like going to midnight mass with my grandparents when I was a child. It's nostalgic. It's woody, smoky, incense-y, with that lemony hint that some church incense has. It's thick without being heavy, and I'll be keeping my decant purely for nostalgic purposes since this isn't a me scent at all. 

My bottle is 2020 edition. After all this time it has become thick, syrupy, slippery, with an almost cherry-like overall smell. That must be the rich myrrh & resinous frankincense notes playing together wonderfully. It has lost its incense smell, strengthened, & taken a turn for something lovely.