Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Aredhel

Lick It

What else could possibly be more lickable at Yuletide? This is a candy cane perfume, minty, sweet and sugared.

Rating (on skin): 5/5
Summarised in a word: Candy Canes!

In the bottle: Yes indeed, a candy cane. A bit sweeter than the candy canes I usually have, but a candy cane all the same. Peppermint and sugar.

On skin, wet: Crisp, sugared peppermint and a dash of vanilla. Reminds me of peppermint ice cream.

On skin, dry: The vanilla becomes slightly stronger, and takes on a... musky? quality. Lovely, but unexpected. It instantly reminded me of another blend, but it took me nearly an hour to figure out which blend that was: Black Opal. They both share a musky vanilla quality, which I adore in both blends.

Conclusion: I love peppermint, vanilla and candy canes, so it's no surprise to me that I absolutely adore Lick It.

In the bottle: cool, smooth, but creamy mint. The mint is surprisingly subtler than the other BPAL mints I've tried- it smells more like a single entity with the vanillic base than a separate note. You know how some mints whack you over the head with their mintiness? Not the case.

On my skin: Wow, this smells cold! It even chills my wrist a little. This definitely reminds me of something, and I couldn't place it until I read the above review: Black Opal! It's vanillic but not quite straight-up vanilla. Think Black Opal with some mint instead of the mineral note. I was expecting this to be sweeter and more sugary but it's almost sophisticated.

The only real morphing it does is the mint fades. I LOVE this! So very festive and not too kiddie, despite the namesake.

Edited by luxuria

I agree wholeheartedly with the preceding reviews. Wet, Lick It smells just like a candy cane. That is to say, it smells distinctively like "hard candy" -- kind of cool and smooth and hard, and, yes, sugary and pepperminty. As it dries, the mint wears off and it's a light, cool, sugary vanilla. Indeed, the vanilla is just like the vanilla in Black Opal, but without the rock/mineral note. It's just the same sort of "cool" vanilla -- not foody, but sweet, creamy, and almost ethereal. It's as if you melted a candy cane in hot chocolate and couldn't really taste the mint anymore, but the sugary vanilla retained the feeling of hardness and coolness.

It's yummy, and the vanilla stage is surprisingly long-lasting.

120564672.jpg

Bottle Pic: http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL202/154131...8/120633965.jpg

In the bottle

Peppermint candy. :P

On

Exactly like peppermint candy. It's reall minty, sweet goodness.

30 minutes

It keeps it's minty scent and doesn't fade right away. It's still got that cool "ahh" feeling when I sniff it on my wrist even at 20min.

Throw:

Yes, because of the mint.

Scent category:

Herbal (mint)/Foody

Summary

It smells exactly like yummy peppermint Christmas candy canes.

Purchase again?

Yes!

1-5 rating (5 being best)

When you first put it on/smell it it turns into a candy cane.

When it dries down it's like Bearded Lady with peppermint. Fan-fucking-tastic excuse my french. This is more yummy then Spooky (and I'm a spooky WHORE yo).

In the bottle: Pure, pepperminty goodness! This is the "iciness" that I had hoped I would experience with Numb.

Wet, on my skin: Definitely minty candy canes. I DO want to Lick It! (But I promise I won't, Beth. :P )

On drydown: Stays minty for a little while and then it starts to morph. The peppermint has faded away to leave something else...something perfume-y yet light, perhaps a light musk? Whatever it is, I love it!

I love Lick It!

Wet, it's a vanilla mint - EXACTLY like the smell of candy canes. It makes me want to lick my wrist.

Once it's dried, it's a musky vanilla with a hint of mint.

YUM.

In the bottle: Beth perfectly nailed that sweet, minty, slightly vanilla candy cane scent perfectly. This is positively AMAZING!

Wet: So terribly hard to resist nibbling on my wrist... this is utterly perfect in every way.

Dry (about an hour after application): it has faded a bit, mellowed out more and is still divine (I barely put a drop on, I am sure it would still be stronger if I'd put as much as I normally do on).

This is such a perfect scent. I think I may need to get at least one more bottle before it's gone. :P

I agree with everyone above so far. This is absolutely wonderful!! Vanilla mint!! I've only tested this and have a cold, so I just know I'm going to love this even more than I do right now. I imagine this will really have a wonderful drydown and react well with body heat. I need to order a few more bottles. YUMMY!!

Now the world would be complete if Beth would make a cinnamon candy scent next Yule. :P

I actually got this by mistake. A great mistake, mind you. The lab was supposed to send me a 5 ml. of Sugar Cookie, but I got this instead. I was kind of freaked out by that, because after reading the reviews I was wishing that I had gotten the Lick It. Now I have it. Yay! (Someone out there is probably getting my Sugar Cookie instead of their Lick It, though, and I do feel sorry for them.)

Yes, this is very minty. I was worried it would be too much like Spooky at first, but there is no chocolate in this at all. It's been replaced by vanilla. I like both equally. I wonder how they'd be mixed together? Hmmm.

The drydown--well, it's what I love the most so far. It's....

Drumroll please...

BABY POWDER. I know many of you will start shaking in your very fashionable boots right now. I have read more than one review where the reviewer freaked out about the baby powderiness of a certain scent. Well, I'm just here to say that I Love Baby Powder Scents! Bring 'em on, baby!

I have not smelled Black Opal, but if it has a baby powder thang going on, well, I'm just going to have to order it.

Ooooo, this one definitely exceeded my expectations. It's definitely a candy cane/ peppermint candy smell, but it has a wonderful creamy, milky, sweet yumminess underneath it. It's a really decadent, fancy smelling peppermint. I'm normally not too into the minty ones, but this is delicious. The best part is, is has an intense, mentholated cooling effect on my skin that lasts for about 15 minutes. That is how I imagined Numb would make me feel, but alas it did not. It doesn't last as long scent wise as I would prefer, but it's lovely enough to reapply, besides, then you get the cool icy effect all over again :P

In the bottle: Smells divine - peppermint with a touch of vanilla sweetness.

Wearing: OH NO! This develops a weird mossy undertone to it.

Drydown: The swampy, mossy note dissipates a bit and the vanilla comes through more, but neither change is enough. It is just not good on me. (And here I was expecting the oil form of Villainess Scintillating Smooch - which appears to be what most folks got.)

Now, I've not seen a single other person mention this, so I know it has to be me. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? (Is this because I'm an INTP?)

You know, I read every review of Lick It before my bottle got here, and each time someone raved about how it really did smell just like a candy cane, I just nodded to myself, and though - right. Candy cane. That's about what I expected.

Well, Lick It smells just like a damn candy cane, but it's not at all what I expected, because it's not pure peppermint - it really does have a soft, vanilla undertond to it - but I have never in my life smelled anything that smelled so dead-on like a candy cane.

Completely dry, this is almost more vanilla than peppermint, but still delicious.

Off to go eat my arm now.

this one was one i ordered trepiditiously, i am not a huge mint fan. so why order it you ask? well beth continually amazes me and so i just had to.

i would have to agree and yet disagree w/ the previous reviews. it is not straight up peppermint for sure, yet i wouldn't say "candy cane" for me this is those antique candy type peppermint melt away balls. i am not sure if yall know what i mean but they are akin to a buttermint, in texture and they melt almost as soon as you pop them in your mouth. they are little red and white striped balls. and man are they yummy. this is lick it. and i love it, which amazes me w/ my nonlove for mint in general.

thanks beth for bringing this out :P

This scent is amazing. In the bottle it smells exactly like a candy cane. On my skin it has a wonderful chilly feel from the mint. At first it's even a bit sharp in my nose if I sniff too closely. As it dries the mint fades & the sweetness becomes more dominant. After a few hours the mint is gone and it's a beautiful soft vanilla. Kind of like Black Opal but without the odd overtone that made me dislike Black Opal.

I concur with everyone who said that this is what they hoped Numb would be. I'm so glad I have time to order another bottle.

DarcyPennell rating: "yowza"

Edited by DarcyPennell

So, I passed on this at its debut because I didn't think I wanted to smell like a candy cane... :P I should know better! Reviews made me crave an imp and a kind forumite fulfilled my wish :D

It is exactly what I hoped it would be! Halfway between Milk Moon and Chaste Moon: sweet but not too sweet, minty but without the floral background of Chaste Moon. Later, I had my husband sniff my wrist, and he PLANTED his nose on my skin… and then licked me! :D He must be psychic or something.

Seriously, I am so in love with this scent now, it's nuts.

Lick It is the biggest surprise of the Yule blends for me so far.

I ordered it because I love mint and can't resist the foodie blends. Also because when I was a kid, my brother and I had this incredible felted advent calendar in the shape of a Christmas tree with a little pocket for each day leading up to the holiday. In each pocket, my mother tucked in two miniature candy canes that we would get each night after dinner. So I have many happy memories of candy canes.

I was expecting pure candy cane---strong peppermint with sweetness. But as others have described, it dries down to a Black Opal-esque musky vanilla, with just the right amount of mint to make it sparkly and mouth-watering. It's really much more versatile and wearable than I was anticipating. The mintiness makes it so perfectly seasonal and lovely at this time of year---but I think this would be equally good in the summertime because it's so very cooling and refreshing.

Yup, I'll be getting another bottle of this one.

Preconceived notions: I like mint. Bring it!

In the bottle: Peppermint, tempered with a touch of sweet vanilla.

On: Yep, pretty much the same... hey, where'd it go? Sadly, as much as I love mint, it never sticks around. Instead, I'm left with a soft vanilla-musk scent - which is still quite lovely, of course. I'll have to try wearing a bit in my hair to see if I can get the mint to stay for a bit!

This is some hyper peppermint at first, a chilly, sinus clearing burst. It mellows down into a rich, cheery, perfect candy cane scent within a few seconds though. It doesn't just smell like a candy cane, it almost manages to smell like eating a candy cane. Crisp and chilly. In the drydown I can smell a bit of a creamy vanilla underneath the peppermint. The vanilla is barely there and just rounds out the blend, making it a bit smoother.

This reminds me quite a bit of Snowblind, but this is more peppermint and less sweetness & vanilla, where Snowblind ended up being the reverse on me. It's a perfect candy cane.

ETA: I've been hoarding my few bottles of Lick It and loving them. This makes my skin cool and tingly (in a good way) wherever I apply it, which is really soothing whenever I've had a fever or some sort of muscle ache. Plus, it doesn't smell like a plain peppermint oil (which I hate), it's a pleasant, candied peppermint. Love it.

Edited by Tania

Dear Skin;

WTFBBQ, man? There is no suede in a candy cane. Even on Candi Cayne, the stripper, there is no suede. I'm also pretty sure that there shouldn't be any strong musk in here, either, so wtf are you playing at? And why did it take an hour before I could even smell that there was mint in Lick It? I mean, seriously, I could smell zero mint in the bottle. In fact, I couldn't smell anything in the bottle, but my eyes got watery. So what the bleeding hell is the matter with you that you hate Lick It so much?

Of course, it does smell similar to Mad Hatter on me, which, y'know, I like a lot. So maybe it's not such a terrible thing?

But I wanted a candy cane, not dominatrix suede and musk with a tiny little "bip" of mint.

WTFLOLZ,

becky

In bottle: Just a little tingling and a little chilling, like all good peppermints should be. It's a little sugary, but it doesn't quite match candy cane, at least not yet.

On me: It is still a bit creamier and a not quite at what a candy cane is to me - but I seem to be associating it with spearmint rather than peppermint. How odd is that? I wonder if my mints are badly confused. Accurate or not, I love this. It's nearly a pure mint, but creamier and somehow better. I'm definitely keeping this close.

I love this blend! It's peppermint and vanilla all rolled up into an almost creamy drydown. When I was wearing it, I spent more time with my nose pressed up against my arm than not! Which I'm sure made me look really, really silly.

I think I cried when I spilled a little bit of it because I loved it so much!

Lick It is creamy with a minty bite. The mint fades pretty fast on my skin, but I am left with the most incredibly creamy buttermint-iness. It is hard to describe how beautiful the soft vanilla is as it wafts from my skin. It does remain sweet, as I would hope any good candy cane would. This oil feels dry and crisp to me when I put it on my skin. Rather interesting.

Truly...this might be the first blend that I intentionally purchase multiple bottles of. I want this one around all the time. Perfect for winter. Perfect for when the summer sun becomes hot and sticky. This absolutely must come back in the future. Yum!

Beth- how do you *DO* this?! :P

There is no bad time to wear Candy Cane...ever. It's perfect for this time of year, and when summer comes and I get all yucky feeling in the heat, I will slap some Candy Cane on me, for sure. This is gorgeous. It is pure sweet candy cane with a bit of buttermint and vanilla brushing against it. The throw and lasting power is amazing. I can't believe just how pretty this one is. I fell asleep sniffing my arm last night! I was really sleepy, but I kept taking just one more sniff. Oh, it's so good!