Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Daffodil

Category: Not released yet, bet it'll be in the single notes.

Site Description:

none yet.

Initial Impression:

Like Springtime. I don't recall ever sniffing a daffodil, but this scent does evoke images of the first signs of spring.

After Wearing It:

The floral smells very fresh and green to me. Like budding leaves and daffodils, wet with the first rains of the season. Pretty for someone who likes that sort of thing, but as someone who stays away for crisp & clean florals, it's definitely not for me.

Final Thoughts:

I think what I said above will suffice. Pretty, but not me at all.

Daffodil smells like a lighter, softer version of Dandelion to me. Sweet, and definitely springtime in a bottle - but not the crisp, slightly green and bitter scent of the daffodils that the Cancer Society just delivered to our office a couple of weeks ago.

Lovely and bright, but not as true as many of the single notes have been.

In the vial this smells somewhat of daffodils—there’s a noticeable green element with a sunny floral reminiscent of daffodils. It misses a true replica of the scent, however, in that the green undertones are not strong enough and in that the floral tone seems is more bent on representing the color than the fragrance of the flower.

When applied, the green is subsumed in cheerful yellow—and this is very yellow, very yellow in the sunshine, bright notes tapping out a cheery yellow beat. It’s quite unconcerned with its failure at capturing the daffodil’s scent and is perfectly enthralled with its own daffodil yellowness—it evokes the sensations proper to the daffodil’s color and is content. It lovely, uplifting, quite charming, in fact.

After I’d been sniffing this for fifteen or so minutes, quite taken in by its spring cheer, it began to remind me of something. It’s not the scent proper, but the after scent that lingers in the nostrils after a deep breath—it corresponds quite closely with that of my face wash—Cetaphil for oily skin, which sports a much harsher version of this scent, unpleasantly without its bright notes. This becomes only slightly problematic for me—as the scent settles down, say, after an hour, or so, it loses some of its cheer. The sunny yellow top note fades, rendering the fragrance’s after-scent nearly identical to that of the Cetaphil. The scent itself is still pleasant, still quite yellow even, but I’m not so keen on the face wash connection.

The good news is that as this wears, it becomes more concerned with the actual daffodil, with reproducing its scent as well as just splashing yellow every which way. If I were to describe it in terms of sound, it’s still in the upper register, bright and still yellow, but it has softened to again let through a bit of the green. It’s still not quite daffodil, but it’s trying a little harder now. It’s still cheery, albeit in a more muted way.

It's lovely, but it's not something I think I'll wear on a regular basis.

I will update later concerning its sticking power—earlier I had applied a small dab on my wrist, but that faded rather quickly, so I’ve reapplied more generously at the wrist and inner elbow and must wait to see how it turns out.

First Impression: Green and yellow straight out of the bottle.

Second Impression: Lovely sprintime scent. Soft and light.

Final Analysis: I prefer the heavy, dark resin scents and the heady florals, but this is fresh and lovely like a cool breeze on a sunny day. Would make a pretty scented lotion.

EDIT: The Daffodil single-note isn't on the site yet - I merged this post with the existing thread in Up-and-Coming. --Shollin

I am so lucky to get to try this -- my first up-and-coming scent ever! -- from the lovely jj_j! I love it -- it is green and yellow and clean and simply, daffodil. Like the apple blossom single note I've tried, it is very green -- I definitely see the stalk and the leaves as well as the flower. I like that though; it's daffodil, it's not supposed to be really sweet. It does have a sweetness to it, though, that makes me realize I never really knew what a daffodil smelt like until now. Yeah, I will love wearing this, because it introduced me to a flower I really love the scent of, that I never knew I did before. I was walking by a window box the day after I first tried this, and I caught the scent of daffodils -- the essence of spring. Wearing it will be even better.

First sniff: WOW. Absolutely perfect daffodils, with tiny dewdrops shivering along the stalky leaves. It’s very true to the rather odd blunt green-yellow scent daffodils have.

Wearing: This is seriously amazing. I’ve never smelled anything this daffodily that wasn’t an actual daffodil. I wouldn’t have thought a Daffodil single note would be the sort of thing that would smell good as a perfume – daffodils have a very unusual fragrance – but it’s fantastic. (And the word daffodil looks strange as heck when one has typed it seven times in quick succession.) It went a bit powdery as it dried, and vanished within a few hours. I’m still blown away by it, and will definitely hang onto the imp.

When I was a child...every year we would go daffodil picking and buy bunches of the flowers. All of our money went to cancer research and I remember my house would smell like the plants for weeks at a time. This reminds me of that.

First sniff

Spring in a bottle. This is the scent of daffodils..what you would get if you strained them into an oil.

When wet

Ooo this is LOVELY. Very yellow which makes sense as the flower is yellow :P I love the way its very subtle and doesn't scream FLORAL.

Drydown

Pretty much the same as it is wet but maybe a bit more powdery.

Aftermath

This is a lovely lovely scent for spring and I imagine it would smell divine as a room scent as well. I don't think I'd buy more then an imp of it at a time though but its truly lovely and reminds me a lot of my childhood days...picking flowers with my friends and playing in the sun.

Got this in a swap. It is light and lovely. Springtime in a bottle. Very light green and buttercup yellow to me. I like it and think it would layer well with many of the light floral scents like Eve.

There used to be thousands of daffodils planted around our estates in Missouri, and they are one of the only flowers that I truly enjoy the smell of. I don't know if this really smells like true daffodil, but it is close and evokes those same happy feelings.

First on, this is very sweet and yellow. I definitely think of that colour when I smell this. It doesn't smell traditionally floral or perfumey on me (which is what I love about real daffodils, they smell sweet and fresh). In the drydown, it begins to smell a bit more green, like the wet stems of daffodils.

I love this, I love it a lot more than I should love a floral. Especially one that I can't get a bottle of...

Edited by Blood onmy hands

I can't remember the last time I smelled a daffodil, so I can't tell you if this is dead-on or not.

Still, I love me some early springtime flowers, so I had to try this. It's definately a very yellow scent, as others have said - and I never thought I'd ever smell yellow, but it's just the first thing I think of when I smell this.

Instantly on, it's very sweet, much more so than I expected. As it dries, I smell a hint of bulby flowers, but much sweeter than, say, the tulip in Amsterdam. It becomes a bit powdery as it dries, and remains sweet on my skin, though lighter, and a bit greener.

It's pretty, it's feminine and floral without being overpowering. In short, I love it.

121194948.jpg

BPAl blends which use Daffodil as one of it's ingredients: Flower moon, Kitsune-tsuki, Pink Moon.

In the bottle

This is a clear liquid.

Oh love it, so fresh. Daffodil is one of my favorite flowers, not only because I love the way it looks but I also love it's scent.

On

So light and sweet, I realize now that I have smelled this scent in Pink Moon.

It's almost not floral, I dunno how to describe this. It has this light fresh yellow scent like sunshine.

30 minutes

The scent hasn't changed at all on my skin. It's soft and pretty.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Floral

Summary

This smells so nice yet so different for a floral. On my wrist BPAL's Daffodil sn smells like clothes when you dry them on the line outside, just sunshine mixed with a fresh cut green grass smell and something that smells like a dab of soft powdery vanilla. And even though it's a light scent it does have pretty good lasting power.

Purchase again?

Yes.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Daffodil

I have been heard firmly and loudly protesting that DAFFODILS DON'T SMELL... but whatever is in this oil has changed my mind and made me want to surround myself with them. I am nothing, if not a spring baby and this smells just like springtime to me. A light, gentle floral. So light it is barely there. This is just delightful. A perfect thing to put on at the end of a cold wintry day to remind you that spring is coming. :P Huge thanks to Hollie for lending this one to me for testing purposes.

Edited by cupide430

I don't think that the Daffodil SN has aged particularly well. It's a very light, green (slightly stemmy/sappy on wet), barely there green-white floral. It's soft, delicate, and very inobtrusive. Very low throw, medium wear length. It's almost a ghostly smell, but spring-like. So spring ghosts?

I have the Narcissus SN on the other wrist for comparison, and that one is very heavy and heady and its still going on strong. Honestly at this point in my head, narcissus SN smells more like what the daffodil SN should smell like.