Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ladyfair

Scents to help quit vices

Hello, I am still new to BPAL and need some help with finding scents that help with quitting different vices. I have recently been told by my doctor that I have to quit all caffine intake (it is causing tumors in my breasts) and I am also trying to quit smoking. I tried doing a search for this and could find any on aromatherapy for helping this so if I missed one if someone could please just send me a link I would appreciate it. Any info would be appreciated, thank you.

Hello, I am still new to BPAL and need some help with finding scents that help with quitting different vices. I have recently been told by my doctor that I have to quit all caffine intake (it is causing tumors in my breasts) and I am also trying to quit smoking. I tried doing a search for this and could find any on aromatherapy for helping this so if I missed one if someone could please just send me a link I would appreciate it. Any info would be appreciated, thank you.

I saw someone selling an aromatherapy remedy online for stopping smoking that was bergamot for positivity and frankincense for purification; on some other sites I saw recommendations that when you're trying to keep resolutions, you should pick scents that make you feel energetic and confident--rather than "stop" scents, scents that encourage you to be positive, that you can do what you need to do without the crutch (am trying to cut back the caffeine too, just to in general feel healthier/sleep better, and I know, eek it's hard.) Ginger and mandarin/tangerine were the specific recs I saw but I'm betting probably anything that makes you feel energetic and confident would help. Good luck!

I recently saw a smoking cessation kit on Nature's Gift... search this page for "smoking". (They use angelica and black pepper.)

If you were looking for BPAL to help with the emotional/mental part of quitting, you could try some Voodoo oils like Block Buster or High John the Conqueror.

Cheers to you for making positive changes. I battled against smoking and caffeine addiction myself (and won!) so I know what it's like. :P You can do it!

Well, lime and I think ginger are supposed to be good for quitting drinking. (Don't know about smoking though)

Good luck! I didn't smoke heavily, but when I stopped it was mostly the thought that I was paying these big, evil companies to make me sick and weak that helped me quit.

For a "postive, you-can-do-it!" BPAL scent, I highly recommend Moxie. Orange and ginger - very yummy and uplifting. Congratulations to you on your resolve to quit - I wish you all the best.

thanks for asking this question. i've been thinking long and hard about quitting smoking. i never really thought about oils as an aid.

Thank you all for the recommendations. My goal is to be caffine free by New Years and starting on cutting out all the nicotine shortly after that. Thanks again

Oooh, kinda a related question:

Any bpal blends one would recommend for curbing appetite/stimulating weight loss?

Food is definitely my BIGGEST vice. :P

Will do. The doctor told me it was because of caffine and my birth control. They just found two more tumors so the quitting caffine is now a have to instead of a should. One thing I have found that is also helping is creating a specific exercise routine, my body hates me but the withdraw isn't as bad and I have more energy.

Congratulations to you for quitting caffeine and cigarettes, LadyFair! I planned to do the same thing on my birthday (late october), but have only managed to cut back a little. (sigh) It's so, so hard. I hope to get a second wind of discipline on January 1st.

Please let us know how you are doing, and if you need to create a board-resolution-ring, I'd be happy to join up and encourage you. You can dooo eeeet!

I agree that Bergamot, which is so clean and uplifting, would probably help a lot in the positive energy department. My favorite bergamot bpal is Severin, by far, and, since it smells very much like earl grey tea, it can also help you get a bit of a caffeine-fix.

Also, if you haven't seen it already, there is a great thread in the food section of the board on teas. Ive been lurking there for weeks, culling choices. It's a great place to start looking for a coffee/black tea susbstitute!

Thanks for the suggestion, luckily I live right next to a Teavanna and am addicted to their roobios orange and very berry tea (both non caffinated). That actually has helped me cut back alot on the caffine. I did my first BPAL order before I realized I had to quit (hopefully something in that order will help too, I'll keep you posted when I get it) and I am taking all of the suggestions here and making up my second order. I do have some LUSH that has bergamont in it but I guess it is so small it hasn't really done anything for me yet.

Many thanks too all of you for the support and suggestions.

Ok, quick update on the scents. For anyone quitting caffine I highly suggest Moxie (thank you sooooo much Wench457 for the imp) It really helps wih the cut back and the headaches did not seem to be really bad when I had it on. I had alot of bad things happen in the past couple of weeks so I have had a temporary relapse but I am getting back on track today. I'm ordering a bottle of Moxie and a bottle of Detox so I will let everyone know how Detox works with the quitting also.

I really want to thank everyone for their support, with everything that has been going on you all have been the only real support that I have had and it really means alot to me.

Good luck, ladyfair! It is so hard to quit any vice!! :P I also suggest Wolf's Heart for the quitting of vices. It helps when you are feeling weak and are about to break down. It's not what I would call a "lovely" scent, but it sure does give you some courage when you need it!

You're very welcome ladyfair! I'm so glad the Moxie helped - it's one of my favorites, and just seems to say: "you can do it!"

I'm reserecting this thread because I think it would be awesome if the lab did scents to help with moderating addictive behavor....Panaceas work and I would love one for quitting smoking. :lol:

One that helped smoking cessation would be amazing. I mean, other than obvious lung health benefits, I would be able to smell my perfume better and for longer! Ha.

One that helped smoking cessation would be amazing. I mean, other than obvious lung health benefits, I would be able to smell my perfume better and for longer! Ha.

Exactly!! :wub2:

And to have the lab help is bonus! :)

I expected to find a much longer and more recent thread on this? I´m looking for scents to help with food cravings. Strong, distinctive, non-foody ones seem to work best for me - out of everything I´ve tried, Queen and Muse were most helpful, much better than any sweet scents. But it´s not what I look for normally - I don´t even know what it is in those two that does it.

Edited by Marion

Grapefruit is a scent they say can suppress appetite, (and Muse has citrus, too, with its lime) so possibly:

Manhattan

Night-Gaunt

Embalming Fluid

Queen has sage & black pepper, here are some evocative of sage:

Robin Goodfellow

Antony

Oya

Phoenix Steamworks

Not thinking about food cravings is also like not thinking about an elephant - once you think of it, you are thinking of it, lol. So maybe a scent that has NOTHING to do with appetite, suppressing or not, like florals, or somethign evocative of air or wind, something like that.

Or something that exemplifies your goal for yourself, such as, if your goal is "to be healthy & energetic", then what scents most remind you of that feeling, or embody that feeling for you? This will depend on what your actual goal for yourself is.

Not thinking about food cravings is also like not thinking about an elephant - once you think of it, you are thinking of it, lol. So maybe a scent that has NOTHING to do with appetite, suppressing or not, like florals, or somethign evocative of air or wind, something like that.

Or something that exemplifies your goal for yourself, such as, if your goal is "to be healthy & energetic", then what scents most remind you of that feeling, or embody that feeling for you? This will depend on what your actual goal for yourself is.

That´s probably why those two work better than any sweet scents I have - they don´t remind me of food, but give sensory satisfaction when food doesn´t. (My goal is to avoid foods that make me sick or raise my blood sugar too much, unfortunately two large separate groups that added up don´t leave me a lot of choices).

I didn´t like Manhattan, but I´ll look at the others, thank you.