Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A fearsome creature from Greek lore. Typhon was born from the marriage of Earth and Hell, and is said to be so terrible in aspect that even the gods themselves flee from his venomous gaze. Our own blend of Earth and Hell: red patchouli, sandalwood, black musk and vetiver.

Ressurected Version:

I tried some on at will-call last night because I've been contemplating buying a bottle for a while. This is definately an earthy, dark scent, but there's also something smokey about it. Just a little smoke. It had decent lasting power and throw, but it's not a "pretty" perfume. That's for sure! I thought it was great, but I already own a couple of smokey scents, so I don't think I would wear it enough to make a full bottle worthwhile.

ahh, vetiver! This is definitely the same vetiver that's in Malediction, although it has less of a presence in this blend. Typhon reminds me of cold earth and smoke, very wintery, actually. It smells like the cold earth outside my apartment in the mioddle fo night mixing with the wafting woodstove smells. Lovely, just lovely. I am so happy that there has been a slight influx of vetiver scents lately, and this one definitely does nto disappoint. However, I don't need more than one bottle since I definitely prefer Malediction to this...

Typhon was everything I thought Schwarzer Mond would be, and wasn't. This is a very dark blend, with, and the patchouli, sandalwood and black musk blend together so well that the vetiver just makes it smell smokey instead of.. well, like Hell. While I wouldn't wear this blend often, there's definitely a time and place for it. I'm glad I got a chance to try it!

Resurrected version:

Although I like vetiver, I don't like quite this much vetiver. It was really strong at first. And then it smelled like powder and vetiver. :P

I found out from other blends that red patchouli is not my friend, but I wanted to give this a try anyway. I discovered that the feud between red patchouli and me is apparently still going on.

Ah well. I'm sure this bottle will find a nice home.

In the vial: damp earth with a hint of smoke in the distance.

wet: this reminds me of peat smoke.

dry: an intresting scent, but not one that I would wear as perfume.

There's something in this that makes it a rather more manly version of Snake Charmer, in the bottle. (pine probably) The pine comes out when I put it on and then finally fades to be more creamy. Not as nice as Snake Charmer, but close and lovely. Hubby (for whom I bought it) also likes it very much.

TYPHON resurrected

In Bottle: Patchouli and vetiver

On Skin: The original version of this scent actually worked on me even with patchouli and vetiver being pretty much my worst enemies. This resurrected blend is much more smoky and not working on me. I thought with Schwarzer Mond and Mme Moriarty patchoulis working on me, I might have a chance but nope… not this time. This scent is super dark and very very earthy and smoky. The patchouli and vetiver are the strongest notes by far. The black musk adds to the dark feel and the scent is very powdery. The sandalwood adds another earthy woody note. All in all, much too heavy for me. It echos Schwarzer Mond, but SM worked on me because it had the super sweet resins in front with the patchouli in the background. This scent seems quite more masculine than the origianl. It’s for people who love dark earthy and smoky scents. Strong throw and long wearlength.

In the imp: lots of dark vetiver and dirty patchouli.

On me, wet: pencil-shaving-ish vetiver tinged with sandalwood and patchouli. Very dark, very heavy, not really very pleasant.

On me, dry: dark heavy woodsy-dirt vetiver alleviated slightly by musk and patchouli. Too heavy, really, and slightly reminiscent of dirty hippy sweat.

Verdict: This certainly captures the 'earth' part. Alas, this is too much vetiver for me.

Dark, resiny, sticky - it reminds me a bit of Schwarzer Mond because of the darkness. When I first applied this, it was strong, strong patchouli which receded when it dried. The sandalwood and musk come out from behind the patchouli and I smell something sweet and powdery. It's a very familiar smell and I can't quite put my finger on it........................rose geranium! Is there rose geranium in here? I like Typhon a lot, although it isn't quite as dark as I expected. I can't wait to see what this does when it has aged. I bet that it'll be even more amazing.

ohhhh, typhon! ohhhh, drooooolage.

in da bottle: cold, sharp, angry, woodsy.

wet: all that, with a resin-y stickiness rising up...vetiver, vetiver, vetiver!

dry: spicy-warm, sticky, resinous, woodsy, smoky, spicy, incense-y. delicious!!!

so much vetiver. i really can't get enough of it - i'm totally hyperventilating from sniffing my wrists so much! me wants to take a baff in eet... :P

eta:

months afterwards, the patchouli is really prominent. still love it tho!

Edited by kaori

Another victim of Sarada's urging here!

And boy, am I glad it got a bottle. For as snarky as I can be about "hippy shit," I sure love smelling like a head shop! This is that bad-ass record store with nag champa at the counter and Led Zeppelin and Pixies posters side by side. It's a sexy, resinous blend that definitely leans heavily on patchouli, but adds enough earthy woodsiness to make it really nice. A keeper for sure.

Whoof! This is an amazingly strong blend, earthy and powerful. It's sweet on first sniff, all patchouli. The vetiver and musk deepen it, but it doesn't dominate. After a while, the patchouli steps back for the sandalwood, though it doesn't disappear completely. It ends up being warm and earthy, and never stops being bold. I don't know if I'd ever wear this blend, but I do like it.

Okay, first things first. This is for sarada:

:P

I adore this. It's earthy, smoky and resinous, and yet so sweet and mellow. I'm slowly catching on that black patchouli turns to sawdust on me, but red patchouli loves me - combine it with the sandalwood and I think that's what my chemistry is turning to that hint of warm sweetness. And I've never had vetiver behave itself so well. This is amazing. *sniffs wrist*

And to think I nearly passed this up. Enabling is a very good thing :D

Typhon is very earthy and dark, as expected….lots of vetiver and patchouli. At first this seems like the most patchouli-centric bpal I’ve smelled so far. The patchouli has the same ‘motor oil’ feel that I get from brand new Snake Oil. That sounds bad but it's not...I just can't think of another way to describe it.

After a few minutes I'm reminded of Mme. Moriarty even more than Snake Oil, I guess because of the patchouli and musk. The sandalwood swirls in and out of the mix in a beautiful way. Sometimes I kind of forget about sandalwood, but this scent really shows it off. This is a keeper, for sure…

I think this would be great to wear on a date with someone who already knows me in an intimate way. Surely not a ‘first-date’ scent. And it’s a little too dark and sexy for a formal occasion. I have a feeling this will be the replacement for several other bpal scents for me….Schwarzer Mond, Lycaon, and Azathoth. Maybe even Iago. Typhon has the best qualities of all those, and might be my favorite of the bunch. And as mentioned in other reviews, this is going to age really well I think. I bet it will only smell better and better over time. I'm glad I followed the advice of my fellow forumites (Sarada and Nineveh especially!) and grabbed a bottle at the last minute. Thanks for enabling me!

Very very dark and earthy...at first it is a wee bit much...of everything. But after it settles a bit, it really lulls into a nice dark musky blend with just enough fire. I want to try this on my husband. Oh yes... :P

well, out of the bottle, it reminds me right away of lycaon, only without the berry-ish sweetness, and without the cola smell. on my skin i did a comparison of typhon, lycaon, schwarzer mond, and mme. moriarity. typhon is in the same patchouli-family as all of them, but less sweet than the others - rougher around the edges, very earthy with something dark like burning rubber tires and leather. i like all of these scents, and typhon is equally wearable, when i'm in the mood for something harsher, heavier and less sweet.

A friend has a bottle of this and let me try.

Oh so gnarly and good in the bottle! I am a lover of resins, and this seemed right up my alley! It was seeming to be very close to Schwarzer Mond, wet, with that patchouli and sweetness. There is nothing like that kind of scent to nudge me into memories of hippie witches I encountered as a kid in the 70's. yes yes yes yes yes, some of my original role models.

then, the sandalwood overwhelmed the blend and I just can't get into Beth's sandalwood. On my skin, it is a very parrafin smell, and a dealbreaker everytime.

Oh well. there are so many others!

For some reason, this scent is reminding me of the Tori Amos song "Cruel". Huh. Anyhow, it smells very root-like to me, a little metallic, ever so slightly aquatic...like Torture King meets Doc Buzzard meets...vetiver. But the vetiver and patchouli are being very civil with the rest of the blend. Powerful and slightly dark...this is a really substantial scent.

In the bottle: Strong, woody and earthy.

Wearing: This smells like Patchouli and Vetiver, with some musk and sandalwood. Yup, exactly as advertised. It goes from sharp-ish to a little more blended and mellow, as the musk has more of an impact later.

As opposed to some of the other associations people have made, this reminds me most of two other blends in which Patchouli and Vetiver dominate - Umbra and The Great He-Goat.

Conclusion: I love these types of scents, but I tend to grab so many of them to try, and being neither a hoarder or slather, can't possibly wear or keep so many similar ones. (And Umbra remains my fave in this category.)

So I put this on my swap list. Though I may change my mind.

Wet, this is straight up patchouli on me. As it dries, it cycles over briefly to straight up vetiver, and then steps back to let the patchouli back in along with a hint of the musk. Sandalwood? What sandalwood?

Once it's dry, it's this lingering sweet, earthy smell; faint but pleasant. Reminds me of Greed.

Verdict: Love it, but there are other scents in this general category that I love more.

Bottle: very sharp and masculine. one of the few 'masculine' blends that really scream OMGmaleness to me.

Wet: smoke and driftwood, like a fire on a beach late at night.

Dry: sweaty, dirty, salty man. the vetiver and black musk are working in concert, and it's a very diabolical pairing. taciturn.

Later: the vetiver amping dance. it's morphing in different ways than usual, but still...so terrible even the gods themselves would flee from this scent on my skin...

I was anabled with a little imp and then somebody said that they wanted to sell ther bottle of typhon.

I bought it, of course. I mean, it has the magic v word and the magic p word and the magic s word. I was doomed from the start.

When I first put it on, it is powerfully vetiver, patchouli, with a definite sandalwood underlayer. and I love it. I have such an attraction to masculine BPAL. Typhon wet on me is an entire stampede of dirty hippies on an easter egg hunt - but they're looking for hidden dime bags, not eggs. and you know, I'm good with that. It's what I was hoping Schwarzer Mond would be like for me, but wasn't.

but here's the magic of Typhon - as the hours go by, the scent calms down and warms up. sandalwood blooms forward, supported by vetiver and patchouli. a thread of the musk winds through, and something... peppery. and so seven hours after I put it on, it's the most gloriously sexy thing. it just melts into my skin like it belongs there. I read an earlier revier who layers this with snake oil.

just thinking about that is hot.

In a surprise move by my body, every scent except the patchouli was eaten within five minutes. And then I had patchouli for seven hours--a nice throw on it, though. I'm going to wait a week or so and see if that improves my chemistry and this scent. Will ETA when I've done so because those first five minutes are darky, smoky, earthy goodness.

Dark and incensy and while wet, rather moist. Then the veitiver comes out and dries everything out way too much. Off into the swap pile (or at least the sniffie pile)