Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A fearsome creature from Greek lore. Typhon was born from the marriage of Earth and Hell, and is said to be so terrible in aspect that even the gods themselves flee from his venomous gaze. Our own blend of Earth and Hell: red patchouli, sandalwood, black musk and vetiver.

From Diabolus...

<span style='color:SeaGreen'>Typhon is quite stronger than other BPAL oils I've tried, making itself known now and again with a strong whiff while working, and even survived washing dishes.

Fresh on, it's very dark and musky. The musk and sandalwood mixes with the vertiver as it dries to make a darkly powerful, enfolding scent.

Sadly, what I think is the patchouli goes vaugely baby-powdery on me, the same way it did with Burial... but I don't dislike it for that.

Typhon is deffinitely a masculine scent that would be noticed. I imagine a powerful, cold corperate magnate wearing this scent as he soullessly keeps his business on top. RAR! :P</span> Edited by Shollin

At first smell from the bottle i detect a lime scent, which i have no idea where that comes from. Once applied to my wrist it dries to a spicy warm scent.

After wearing it tonight at work, it was still going strong, but not overpowering. Typhon's ingredients are among my most favorite of scents and I personally

don't see it as just a masculine scent.To me it comes across as an earthy, warm and comforting scent. I am completely in love with it for myself and will

definitely be getting a bottle of it soon.

Earthy and musky at first, this smells very much like deep dark earth, but a bit spicier and more menacing. There is something strong and sinister about this. The dry down is a bit odd and strangely soaps out on my skin, leaving the entire impression of having dug too deep in the garden and then going to wash my hands.

Off to swaps.

I LOVE IT!!! (unfortunately the GF hates it.)

No big surprise there. I like patchouli and musk and she doesn't. The :P smilie was made to go with this scent. Earthy, dark, spicy, menacing, and overwhelming, while still being strangely attractive. Numerous compliments, but "too dangerous to take home." One lady described it as "that guy you flirt with at the party, then find out his girlfriends have a habit of disappearing." As much as I like this, it looks like there's little point in my buying some...

One more note: this scent is powerful and VERY long lasting. I applied this before I went to the club last night. It's been 28 hours, I've put in a 10 hour day at work, had 2 showers, and the scent is still with me. A little of this will go a very long way.

Edited by Lars Thorson

Because it is going to be discontinued I decided to wear it today to be able to review it.

Initially in the bottle the vetiver puts me of but once on the skin it disappears and the Patchouli jumps out. To me it's a lot like Haunted and also a bit like the Guerlain Shalimar. Its a Spicy eastern scent, not very masculin.

I like it because it reminds me of the middle east and somehow of Hammams. Also like pollished floors and antique shops.

Not something I would order on the decription because the Vetiver would scare me away.

I'm going to miss this one so much...it's so gorgeously earthy! Goodbye, Typhon, may you rest in peace. :P

First sniff:

Earthy...very earthy. I smell patchouli and vetiver very strongly. It reminds me a lot of Capricorn only with the addition of sandalwood. It reminds me of a Buddhist temple in the middle of the deep forest. I love this sort of scent!

Wet on skin:

The earthiness really picks up once it hits my skin, but the sandalwood is becoming more prominent, too, lightening the scent and making it not quite so stifling. In the bottle, it was like being buried alive...dark and heavy and loamy, on the skin it's lighter, like the forest after the rain. The impression of a Buddhist temple also increases with the amplification of the sandalwood. This is just the sort of thing I love in a perfume. :D

Dry down:

Slowly the earthiness fades away, leaving a light sandalwood. The whole process takes several hours, but all the stages in between are absolutely lovely. I'm an avid fan of earthy scents and Typhon didn't disappoint. This went from a very earthy scent (something I adore) to a light incense type scent (something I also adore).

The bottom line:

I'm so sad to see this one going away. It's the perfect incense/earth combination for me. I'll cherish my imp and my 10mL while they last. :D

This is a very earthy scent. I gave it a quick try-on knowing I'll be giving this away to either my roommate or my boyfriend (or perhaps someone else) and the patchouli oil on first application is very strong.

After a while, the fragrance does warm up a little bit, but it's a very dark, dark fragrance. Typhon almost to me smells a bit like walnuts or pecans. Dark and a bit nutty. The sandalwood and vetiver peeks through after a while, and after about thirty minutes' wear, the fragrance does resemble aforementioned incense, but not with any spices. Almost like wet driftwood.

This isn't the kind of fragrance I would like for myself, but I don't think it's half bad. I may wind up passing the imp on to my roommate or perhaps my boyfriend's brother, as I'll be giving my boyfriend a couple of dark scents already in imp form.

I must add that I'm surprised to see this one be discontinued, because it really seems like a good masculine scent.

-doreen

this scent is very deep and dark and musky and sexy. if i could get a guy to wear this... mmmm!

on me, it's a bit too masculine, but still nice when i wanna pretend that i have a boyfriend. (no, i really don't have a life. thanks for asking.)

can't wait to get a guy to try it on...

In bottle: That patchouli and musk could just knock me over. This is an incredibly strong fragrance, muddy brown in appearance and dark and fearsome as I open the bottle. No wonder the gods fled Typhon - if this is how he smelled, I don't kow how anyone could come near. Not that this is necessarily a bad smell, it's just so overwhelmingly strong.

On me: Patchouli and sandalwood; such a heavy incense smell. I can't even make out the vetiver; it's crushed under all these other spices. I think this might even be pleasant if it wasn't so strong. But it's just too much, far too heavy for me.

Bottle (Imp): Musky.

Just On: Hm. Musk.

An hour or two later: Patchouli.

Around 6 hours: Patchouli.

12 hours: Patchouli. Faded patchouli.

Overall: I'm sort of wondering if I've confused patchouli and musk... but that's what I got. Ahh well, let's read reviews and see what happens.

After reading other reviews: Wow, I wasn't imagining things. It has patchouli and musk. No wonder. I rather liked it.

Origin - Discontinued Circular Swap

Wet - this smells strong. Red patchouli is immediately noticable and I get a very light amount of vetiver. Now I thought I hated vetiver, but Lenore showed me that vetiver could be quite nice in some blends. This is such a soft, light vetiver that I find myself liking it.

Dry - Well first of all, the black musk is behaving itself, which is quite a surprise. This is a dark, earthy scent...vetiver is now the strongest note, but it is still a soft vetiver. I smell sandalwood and red patchouli and this is very pretty, but a bit strong for everyday wear. Still, of all the discontinued scents I have tried in this batch, this is my favorite, and it lasts forever! If I had an imp I would probably hang on to it, but I wouldn't go looking for a bottle of this.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3 .

At first sniff, Typhon is all patchouli and vetiver to me - and while patchouli often works, vetiver usually makes me smell like motor oil.

On, however... soft, velvety black musk takes over, with the smoky sweetness of sandalwood.

The vetiver still lingers in the background, making this blend a bit masculine to my nose - but definitely a scent that can smell powerful and exotic on the right kind of woman as well.

Am I the right kind of woman? Well, usually not - but I'm definitely keeping this for my fierce growly days!

Deep, dark, spicy sweet, and mysterious, with an earthy kick. Very different.

Typhon

In the imp: dark, dark patchouli, a little bit of sweet black musk, and vetiver.

Wet on skin: wow, here comes the black musk! Sweet, sticky, a slick of black scent…with patchouli and sandalwood.

Dry: here, it’s all about the black musk. It’s another musk note that I’m glad works on me, it’s that gorgeous smoky darkness with a hint of sweetness to it, almost oily and glistening. I don’t get too much patchouli now-just a bit, bonded nicely with the musk. I get hints of sandalwood and vetiver too. I like this a lot, very deep and mysterious, with something wild and intense to it.

After a while: patchouli returns slightly, and now the dark green scent of vetiver begins to show itself, a sinister undercurrent under the sweet swirl of black musk.

Verdict: another proof that black musk works on me! This is a deep, smoky and swirling scent, a potent blend of dark notes-black musk, patchouli, a little bit of sandalwood and a base of vetiver. This is an intense, brooding scent, but surprisingly pleasant as well, very wearable, not off putting or too butch, and not too masculine either. Not an everyday scent, I only need an imp’s worth of this scent and I will keep the imp and enjoy it.

I love patchouli when it is paired with something sweet (as in Imp or Depraved) and I enjoy vetiver in small doses, but Typhon is definitely more patchouli and vetiver than I can handle. Typhon smells dark, earthy, dirty, and smoky. Vetiver has been smelling cold and ashen on me lately, and I'm getting that scent here. After about ten minutes, the dark musk comes out a bit in the background. Unfortunately, black musk also tends to go bad on me. It smells sharp and smoky.

This blend is very strong... it continued to cling to my skin even after repeated hand washings and intense scrubbing. Overall it is just too earthy and cold for me. It's the sort of perfume that makes me feel like I got beat up and dragged across a dirt road, then my clothes were set on fire. The scent of earth and ash. And I'm not fond of it. :P

This is a boy's scent - powerful and strong in the vial. It's a heady blend that could easily go too far over to being too strong. But I think the sandalwood is what balances it out. There's a dark sweetness to it that I think is vetiver. It goes a little powdery and for some reason I get the same feeling with this that I get when I wear Snake Oil - just sharper. It's so earthy and strong and yummy. I can't believe I love a scent like this so much. It's got staying power, but the throw isn't that strong. It's very much a me scent. I'm so glad I got this one too!

in bottle: dark earth and smoky. The patchouli and vetiver are shining through right now

on skin, wet: there's a fiery spiciness to it. My guess is the red patchouli and sandalwood and musk.

on skin, dry: dry red patchouli, it's dirty and deep. all the notes seem to balance themselves out with this one.

overall: I'm so glad I was able to obtain a fairly full 10ml of this along with some imps to help stack up my supply some. 5/5

at first: wow. the sharpness of vetiver with a sweet much and smooth sandalwood. interesting.

on: lots of red patchouli, vetiver, and musk. dark.

2 hours later: softer. the vetiver has calmed down a bit. the red patchouli still doesn't quite work on me. the musk and sandalwood are making this more smooth and sweet.

3.5 hours later: sweeter still. the musk is dominating this, but the patchouli and vetiver are still messing it up.

overall: not surprisingly, this didn't work on me.

Typhon - Oh wow, this is a dark, dark blend. It’s dark and woody, full of patchouli, sandalwood and vetiver. I would normally not like a blend like this, but something about it appeals to me. It definitely has allure, and while I can wear it well, I imagine any man wearing this would be unresistable! I have also discovered that if I layer the tiniest dab of Snake Oil over Typhon, it becomes pure sex and has become my latest favorite layering combo. Wow, this is gorgeous. This is most definitely a nighttime blend and not for the office or casual wear as it’s simply to powerful – both in the sense of it’s level of throw and its depth, but also the effect it has on my libido! Wow, this is sexy (especially layered with Snake Oil). Great blend. It totally sucks that it’s discontinued.

In Bottle: Dark sweet powder

On Skin: This is a beautiful soft resinous blend. Very powdery, it gives me a little of the “I think I’m going to Sneeze” factor, but just slightly. I also get a soft dirt note, earthy and dark. The patchouli is there, but not strong enough to gag me. The sandalwood is gorgeous in this and seems darker than normal, maybe because of other notes. The musk gives it a nice feral edge, quite sexy. I would love this on either a man or woman, it’s quite sultry. I really thought I’d be scared off by the patchouli and vetiver in this blend but it actually smells divine on me. Strong throw at first but fades quite quickly.

Typhon - From the DC swap circle.

This is a list of things that don't like me, but I'll try it anyway.

In the imp: Vetiver, patchouli. Resiny.

On me/wet: Just like in the vial. I think some of the DCs have probably aged a lot, and this seems like one of them. The inital notes end up forming a blended, dark, spicy scent on me. It reminds me of one of the other DCs with patchouli.

Drydown: After a while, the notes become more distinct again. Sandalwood is trying to have its way with my arm, but I will resist. The scent has definitely become dryer and woodier.

Very masculine, and I'm guessing that the aging has really helped this one. If I had an imp of my own, I'd try it on the bf.

Edited by scourgeotheseas

Typhon

"Earth and Hell" is right. In a good way. This is not a scent I would have chosen in a million years based on description alone, but it's very nice. Dark and resinous... I know this imp is aged, and maybe that's why I like it so much. I can smell patchouli and sandalwood and vetiver, and normally, that would make me run, but these blend together beautifully.

In the imp: vetiver, red musk

On the skin: a bit powdery. I smell mainly vetiver, patchouli, plus the powder of black musk. The vetiver and patchouli are the strongest. Dark, woody, nice. I'm glad that I got to try this.

straight sniff from bottle is dark, thick...the blackest of musk and vetiver...

once applied the patchouli gets very strong; this mixes stupendously with

the musk, vetiver and sandalwood...

this scent is bold and very much "in your face"...after 30 to 40 minutes

it mellows nicely; a touch powdery; it reminds very much of something

i wore ages and ages ago but i just can't quite pinpoint it...i get a somewhat

vanilla note in this as well...just a touch...interesting indeed...

(This is the Resurrected version)

Typhon is the most glorious thing I have ever smelled.

Smooth, dark, glossy wood of the deepest brown, sparkling with resins. Layer upon layer of deep, shining color, this is every wood and resin scent portrayed in scintillating clarity. The natural sweetness of these notes comes through beautifully on my skin. Oddly, I don't really smell the musk part...I thought it contained myrrh, as musk usually is fairly noticeable on me. But this is mainly a light vetiver, a deep sandalwood, and a sprinking of sweet patchouli.

This is probably my new favorite in this genre of scent. It reminds me of Capricorn, but a bit lighter and more buoyant. It reminds me of Scwarzer Mond, but it is deeper and thicker than that. It is nothing like the bitter, harsh patchouli/vetiver scents like Malediction and has none of the smoke of something like Brimstone.

If I had smelled this before it was Resurrected for the anniversary this year I would have died pining for it. As it is now I have to convince myself that I never need a second bottle of anything, to keep myself from buying more...but this is utter perfection. I feel like I need one bottle to wear and one to put in a shrine and bow down to.

Resurrection Version

Very patchouli. There is a powdery musk in here that accentuates the moist murkiness. A little goes a long way with Typhon.

I may age this one and see what happens.