Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Black Phoenix

Category: Diabolus

Site Description:

Our signature oil. A dark, languid scent. Promotes hedonistic tendencies and extreme self-love. You won't stop kissing mirrors for a month.

Initial Impression:

Smells, green, but not in the way I usually mean it. Not green like leaves or grass or herby. Like a sickly sweet, poisoned concoction. A sugared means of death, candy like, but dark. I think I smell licorice and I'm not sure what else. Intriguing.

After Wearing It:

Smells like twisted fruit, poisoned & sticky hard candies. But in a good way. When it first goes on, it smells strongly fruity and a bit tart. Cherries maybe? Sour grapes? Fruity, but not at all innocent. Maliciously mischievous. Something musky in background becomes more prominent in the middle phase of the fragrance, then backs down to mingle with the sweet & sticky fruit notes. It twists them and plays, making me think of the scene in Snow White where the witch/queen pulls the apple out of her cauldron, covered in bubbling poison before it pretends to be an innocent apple again. A veritable wolf in sheep's clothing. I like this.

Final Thoughts:

I really like this, but I'm not sure if I like it enough to get a whole bottle of it. I think I need to wear it a few more times to decide weather it's love or infatuation. :P

A very sinfully fruity smell indeed. It reminds me of cherry liqueur (sp?) bonbons gone evil, with a musky base. It's very sweet and decadent. A great night-time scent.

This was one of the first BPAL scents I tested and I love it. It is a bit deep, but not really. It is like fruity/berryish smoked sweetness. This was not overpowering at all. Very subtle on me. Hubby loved it.....I can see why this is their signature scent. Very unique. Love it.

For the life of me, I cannot figure this one out. The only note I pick up individually is almond, though that is not the dominant scent. It is truly a very narcissism-inspiring perfume. It is very warm, deep and sensual, and whenever I wear it I feel lush and sexual. Like I am the living embodiment of luxury. It's a wonderful self-esteem booster somehow, and is delightful as a room scent and a perfume.

I always thought it smelled like a sweet, sugary cinnamon. Especially during dry down. Then it smells very strongly of cinnamon. Rosy cinnamon.

Well, someone else said it smelled of Coca-Cola on them, I suppose this one's just different on everyone! I like it, though. It's a bit too feminine for me to order a whole bottle, but I would recommend it.

I finally got around to this one. I'm not sure what took me so long, because almost all the reviews have been good.

There are only a few scents I don't get along with. Ylang-ylang, clove, and ... yup, almond. The only thing I can smell in this one, unfortunately, is sickly-sweet almond (it's the only way I have to describe it, because that's what it always does on me ... sigh) and it cranked itself up about six notches after I put it on.

:P

at first: i'm smelling maraschino cherries and...that's all. interesting.

on: yeah, it's definitely maraschino cherries. weird. there's something else there. more floral. i'm liking it so far.

1 hour later: i've been doing a lot of cleaning (imagine!), so this is fading fast. i'm going to have to reapply.

3 hours later: now the scent is more floral (with a bit of musk, perhaps?), and the sweetness is more in the background. it's nice.

5 hours later: the scent is more even now (a little sweet, a little floral, a little musky). however, it is also really light. too light for me.

overall: i like this, but i wish it didn't develop the way it did on me. i won't be getting a bigger bottle of this, but i'll probably use up my imp's ear.

This one unfortunately was the only sample I ordered that didn't agree with me. However, this was purely because of the almond, which was fairly strong on application and then was even more prominent. It's the only one that didn't grow on me with use, even a little. (I watch out for the smell of almonds and see it as a bad thing - a long story involving cyanide)

But if almonds are your thing, you'll probably love this one!

From the vial - Smells like almond essence, very potent.

Wet still almond essence but as it starts to dry there is a sweetness there maybe cherry, as others have said, or maybe something else. This keeps reminding me of 'Jolie Madame', which I haven't smelt for more than 30 years. I think I am catching the sweetness as rose.

Not completely dry yet and smelling of Rose, Almond and maybe very faint lemon or could be neroli or bergamot... citrussy anyway. Now I am getting a woody smell. Cedarwood or maybe sandalwood.

Dry I can no longer separate the almond smell and still can't decide what the sweetness is. It is sort of cherry but maybe apricot and I definitely smell rose, that is quite strong. The slight citrussy smell is very much in the background

What a long-winded way to say: Fruity, floral and sweet tempered with sandalwood or cedarwood and faint citrus (bergamot is my guess).

I like this a lot, but it seems to fade quite quickly.

Sort of reminds me of Queen Mab when dry

Edited by allamanda

Ye gods. Apparently, my own personal chemistry is utterly in lust with this blend. Sniffing the vial didn't reveal much, especially when nestled amongst all the other sweet little imps' ears. But I put on a bit. And sniffed. And put on a bit more. And inhaled. And had a glass of merlot. And nearly asphyxiated. And put on a bit more. And put on something slinky and black, draped something reddish over the lamp, took down my hair, drew a little circle of Black Phoenix around my navel and melted myself across the bed, waiting with animal vigilance for my husband to come home.

Um, he likes it, too.

Oh, but the actual review? This is the scent of... standing on an overlook or by a rail over an old, tall forest full of poison-green ivy in late September and quietly rushing water, perhaps with a little waterfall, and the moon is nearly full but secretive and hanging in a sky the color of black pearls surrounded by adoring wisps of cloud. It's the scent of wearing a velvet corset, standing at that place of darkness and thrills and depth, and a beautiful man puts his hand on your waist and feels the corset there for the first time, and his eyes open just a little bit. You've had a coffee drink from a tall glass with whipped cream and the caffeine and coolness have you shivering just enough, you've just put on a bit of lip gloss, and a cloud moves over the moon as something calls plaintively from the dark woods, and he leans in to kiss you for the first time. That's what it smells like. I love it. That's a feeling i've always wanted to capture.

Smelling Black Phoenix on my wrist makes me want to light a candle, open a window and write poetry with india ink and a quill. Elizabeth, you are honestly a genius. Just smelling this concoction is a gift. Thank you!

this smelled like cherry coca -cola on me. it was fun at first, then gave me a bit of a headache. not a success for me...

Just got my imps from the lovely blackrayne and Black Phoenix is one.

I put this on maybe five minutes ago. First note I got was licorice, then cedarwood and soap.

Clary sage.

Top note up very high of grasses/bracken.

What amazes me most is this: I've had a migraine headache like an ice pick in my left temple for TWO DAYS now and maybe two inhalations of this made it all but disappear.

I won't be without this one, ever, if only for medicinal purposes.

I'd love to have my house smell like this.

This could be addictive.

I really like this.

On me it is Almondy, in a very nice way.

I love to wear this but is burns dreadfully if I apply it to my Cleavage. So much so that I had to wash it off the first and only time I applied it there.

I just wear it on my wrists and neck now.

Out of the vial and when I first put this on, it's strongly almond/sweet cherries. But on me, that unfortunately quickly fades to a nutty, incensey, sickly-sweet smell that reminds me of the only BPAL scent I've ever not gotten on with AT ALL -- Hunger. It doesn't smell like Hunger, it just has that same sickly-sweet incensey kind of tone. I only put a tiny bit on, fortunately, a little of this goes a long way on me. I think it would be better for nights out dancing and big crowded hot parties, when a scent has to be strong to get noticed at all, than for me sitting alone in my room working which is where I'm wearing it right now. I like the aura of it, just the faint whiff of sweetness someone near me at a party could smell, better than the nutty/cola/incense smell I get when I actually smell my wrists up close.

]This one saved my second order of samples for me. The first order was full of wonderful things, but apparently this last time I chose poorly - except here. It smells like almonds and cherries ... kind of like naughty Dr. Pepper. With musk.

Which may not sound like a rave review, but I love almond scent, and this smells juicy & mischievous & very feminine to me. Yum.

First sniff: Black Phoenix reminds me of Luna! It has the same sharp hard-candy texture to it, though the scent is darker. Very playful.

Wearing: Amaretto to the infinite power. I like it, but it’s waaaaaaaaay almondy. After about ten minutes there’s a flowing fruitiness around the almonds, with some big soft flower petals scattered in there somewhere. I’m undecided on this one – need to wear it again.

On me, this is the wicked cherry sister of Snake Oil!

Strongly cherry/almond upfront, really sweet and liquer-y. The drydown is spicy and deep, smoky and sexy.

First whiff: Cherries. Dark cherries. Nummy. :P

First Application: Still the cherry scent, very, very nice.

Unfortunately, my skin was hungry for cherries that day and just ate the scent up. -.-; I could only smell a teensy bit of it by putting my wrist up at my nose. :D

I'll try it again and see if my skin isn't quite as hungry the next time.

In the bottle...Cherry! Artificial, not amereto. Very sharp and fruity.

When applied...the cherry is taken over by lemony scents. Then like magic it becomes pink musk lollies. Oooh, I love a scent that transforms so much.

With time...this scent becomes a little spicier, like a cinnamon smell.

It reminds me of a perfume my Mum had years ago, "Opium". I think.

I only applied a little amount but it was strong and stayed with me all day. After going out into a smoky bar and sleeping, I awoke early in the moring sniffed my wrist and lo and behold it was still there!

Fantastic staying power. I need a large bottle, no wonder it is the flagship/namesake of the business.

Edited by melopomene

In the vial and when first put on, Black Phoenix smelled very strongly of almond and frankincense to me.

As it settles down, a wonderful fruity/spicy note develops, patchouli maybe? If this is the case, then it is the most delicious patchouli I have ever smelled!

The drydown is like a fruitier Eclipse on me, and since I am obssessed with Eclipse, this is a very good thing. Once again the description from the Lab is dead on: I am in love with the way I smell. Definite Big Bottle :P

Edited by Ishtar

Swapped for this one too, because I had to try it after hearing everyone rave about it.

In the bottle: Kind of a wine-y, grape-y smell. I can't quite place what I'm smelling in this though. It's reminiscent of Eclipse, I think.

Wet: This warms instantly on my skin, and I like that it does. This was another one that I desperately wanted to work on me, and this one does, thank the gods. It's spicy-warm, and sweet-foody at the same time.

Wearing: Love it. I'm -so- glad. This is an amazing scent. It's spicy and warm, like sitting in front of a fire, with a steaming cup of mulled cider. And a plate of fresh cookies, freshly baked. This is likely best suited for Autumn and winter, rather than Spring/Summer, but .. it's lovely and wonderful and a definite keeper.

Mmmm... I am in love ~~~~ again!

This is a beautifully smooth and sexual scent... It has sweet depth and a sexy smokiness... Quite delicious...