Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Beaver Moon 2005

Traditionally, Beaver Moon is named thus for a very obvious reason: during this time of year, beavers are hard at work building their dams and preparing for the onset of winter. Because it was too hard to resist, BPAL’s Beaver Moon is sillier, sleazier, and full of camp. This scent is of cheesecake and cupcakes, more in line with its cheekier connotations, and really hasn’t a damn thing to do with Luna at all!

I love "foody" scents, although I like to use them as enhancers to the cards I make and room scents rather than wearing them, and this LE is my favorite foody scent of them all. It smells exactly like a buttercream Yankee candle in the bottle and on my skin, and since that's one of my favorite Yankee Candle scents, this LE makes me very happy. And hungry. I do wear it when I'm in the mood for something different and fun, but mostly, I plan to dab it on birthday cards and maybe try a room scenting technique.

As soon as opening the imp, the smell of cupcakes wafts out and it's divine.

On me, it's not quite as divine but still decent. The cupcake smell is still there, but I have a suspicion that this is hiding honey in it somewhere because I'm picking up a slight plastic smell to it. Not straight to plastic as honey usually does, but just slightly which makes me think there's a very small amount. It's still good though! Might be better in my scent locket.

In the Bottle: Yep, that's cheesecake alright. And frosting!

On Application: Hmm, white cake, with buttercream frosting. *drool* After a minute or so, the cheesecake scent really comes out. And I could swear I smell a touch of graham crackers!

On Drydown: It's faded to a lovely cupcake scent. Very mouth-watering.

Comments: While this smells delicious, it's not a wearable scent for me. It'd be fun for a room scent, and maybe to wear ever *rare* once in a while.

Verdict: Keep one imp, swap the other.

In the imp I get a sugary soap note overpowering everything… I hope it settles onto my skin okay. Hmm… I was hoping to like this one but it just smells like burned cheesecake crust. I’m getting no cake notes at all and I think the cream cheese scent is kind of rancid. Le sigh… I was so excited about this one too…. Perhaps I’ll save for a few weeks to test again and see if my skin chemistry is more agreeing then. <nods >

Definitely cheesecake at first, and after a while, more cupcake-like. It reminds me a lot of Monsterbait: Closet, only without the yummy blackberries. It wears kind of stale on my skin, like most of the super-foody scents, and by the day I'm tired of it. I'm glad to know that my instinct to not order a bottle last November was correct, although I'm happy to have tried it.

hmm. to my nose this is indistinguishable from midway. which is fine, as midway is one of my all time favorites. :P but i don't think i'd go out of my way to pay for a bottle of beaver moon or anything, when i have plenty of my beloved midway to tide me over.

Beaver Moon proves to me yet again that while I love food, I'm not so big on scents that smell like food. Beaver Moon smells like cheesecake, but not so exciting. A rather flat cheesecake (not literally, but in note). On me, it doesn't smell like a rich cheesecake. It smells generically foody (not rich buttercream) with a hint of cheesecake. It's like a one note wonder. I had hoped that at the least, I would be overwhelmed by the richness of the Beaver, because at least I could wear it to stem off cravings for sweets, but alas, the Beaver must go off. I'm really surprised by how popular the Beaver has been, since BPAL has a lot more scents that are more complex and exciting. However, perhaps on other skin chemistries, the Beaver is a lot more nuanced.

ETA: It isn't strong nor does it last very long.

Edited by malanna

Yum, yum and more yum. This smells to me like rich, slightly spicy cheesecake and a bit of buttercream. It sounds nauseatingly sweet, but it's really delightful! I find it to be different from Midway, much more cake than candy. I'm sorry I missed this one, but will treasure my imp!

In the vial? oooooooh this stuff is gooooood. So so sweet, I want to drink it.

The first time I tested it out on my skin I felt nauseous. I smelled like cereal. Sickening sweet cereal. Now, I have been known to use a body wash in Fruit Loops scent, but this was different.

I put that imp for swap... but it was the first scent I used in my scent locket. Ok, so I took that imp down from my swaplist because in the scent locket it smells just like it does in the vial! mmmm yummy, and I don't smell like cereal.

However, I'm not sure if I smell cheesecake.. it's like the cupcakes went undercover as cheesecake; you think they are cheesecake, but they are really cupcakes.

*this review has been brought to you today by lack of sleep*

In the vial it is sweet, warm vanilla is what I get.

On the skin all I smell is warm vanilla cupcakes with a butter cream (or maybe cream cheese) frosting. On drydown its not changing or morphing either. It is sheer love. This is bumping Midway out for the third favorite BPAL scent spot. No doubt.

I NEED MORE.

WOW this is GOOD. Smells just like chocolate. A word of warning to dieters: After applying I immediately cut myself a piece of cake...I had to have cake :P

On a cold and wet day, Beaver Moon is cheerful and comforting!

In the bottle: Warm and uber-sweet. Vanilla and cake.

Wet: Still a warm cake scent. Not particularly buttery, but creamy and rich and decadent.

Dry: This doesn't morph much on me, and I'm ok with that. I like foody scents, and for the most part, my skin doesn't mess with them. This loses the almost overwhelming sweetness after the first hour or so. But it lasts forever on me--after 8 hours, it's still going strong! It has average throw, and still smells like warm sweet vanilla cake and cream cheese frosting. Oddly, it even kills my craving for sweets! :P

In the bottle: Hmmm, cake... with sweet frosting? And something fresh, must be the cheese cake.

Wet: Slightly boozy cake mix, with quite a floury component and something a bit sharp and... musky? It smells a bit "cheeky", as Beth says.

Drydown: Uh... it smells of pencil shavings on me. With a sweet vanilla icing on top. The sweet note is so strong that I get a sweet taste in the back of my throat, whoa. But it's covering up pencil shavings all the same. It has a sort of spiciness that I can't really place, like nutmeg. And it smells... yes, it smells burnt cupcakes with frosting. Ick. After a while the sweet frosting becomes dominant, but it still has an underlying weird woodiness to it. Extreme drydown is all frosting, fortunately, but I need to wait at least an hour for it to smell nice.

Overall: A real dud on me. I get the woodshavings-beaver association, but that wasn't really what Beth was going for. It's probably a great scent if your skin chemistry works with it, but mine seems to bring out the base notes of the blend, and they don't work out well on me, and the frosting really is too sweet to my taste. Off to swaps!

Why oh why are all the delicious cake blends LEs (except Eat Me, dear dear Eat Me, that is)? Because they're all just great on me and this is no exception...a wonderfully cakey blend that stays that way for hours. I even get a hint of a graham-cracker crust on first application, too. I'm glad I have a bottle of this on the way to me because I don't think my imp's going to last long!

imp: cheesecake! I can smell the graham cracker crust and the cream cheese with sour cream and a touch of lemon...but it is rather faint.

wet: same.

dry: this gets sweet/dessert-y on me in a fine way, but it loses the cheesecake "tang" and becomes a more "generic cheesecake" smell.

Verdict: It is pleasant, but not very strong and not super throw...I think I will swap this for something else hard to find.

I have an imp of Underpants coming and if it as as good as I hope it is, I may try to swap this bottle for one of that.

Whew! VERY sweet! Almost too sweet (even for ME! Sugar Skull make me feel sick)

First whiff out of the bottle is just pure sugary sweetness with a little bit of creamy cheese in the background.

Wet on my skin this turns to vanilla cheesecake with fluffy whipped cream.

I usually love foody scents, but this one is a bit odd on me. It's got a sour milk sort of scent to it and makes me smell like I wiped old food on my arm and let it dry.

Unsure about this one. I'll ahve to try it again another day to give my final verdict.

I WANT to like it. It's one of those scents I should like. Perhaps I've just been smelling too many oils tonight :P

Beaver Moon-

In Bottle: Mm, rich sugar and other yumminess!

Wet: Sweetness and cocoa! Oh, how much I want this one to work for me. Delish!

Dry: This is a lovely soft sweet scent; light, not so heavy as to be cloying. (And no mustiness on me!) I see why they call it cheesecake; it's the perfect description.

Overall: Really nice!

So..when I originally ordered this lunacy I really didn't think I would go ga-ga over it..I mean..the description basically told all I needed to know..foody, foody, FOODY. But..I loved the whole whimsical concept..and it is a lunacy..so I knew it a bottle would be mine.

Today is the first day I have worn Beaver Moon and even with my wonky/congested nose I got the following:

Intial sniff from the bottle:Buttercream frosting..a hint of mint..maybe some cheesecake??? Cheeky indeed...this is all about sweetness and foody..and all though I usually run for the hills..this has me smiling... :P

Applied wet on skin:Cake and frosting..vanilla..buttercream..or maybe it's cheesecake..and yes..I get the lunar oil vibe underneath..a bit of minty-ness underneath it all..it's not super sweet to the point of cloying..but yes...it is indeed foody..but I kind of like it..

Couple of minutes on skin: Warming up the lunar/mint vibe burns off..and it's all cake and frosting...I have to admit it..I am really into it..I have no idea why..but what can I say??? I do kind of always liked cake and frosting that was non-chocolate..sooo maybe the sweet butter cream/vanilla vibe along with the comforting cake note is just conjuring up good memories or something...I am really surprised I am liking this so much..hahahahahahahahaha. :D

Drying on skin:Cake..and the lunar oil is peeking out again...the waft of the buttercream/cheesecake has softened but it still has presence.

Funny...when I was walking to work today in brisk NYC..I kept getting wonderful wafts of this..and it was keeping me in a happy mood..I kept wondering if anybody was getting whiffs of me...it just seems such a cheeky scent..in a comforting way.

Drydown:Lunar note...pretty much gone..but that cake/frosting duo is STILL there..just softer..but not invisible...

Amazingly..this has some impressive lasting power..it's been almost 6 hours and it's going on...throw is soft to medium.

Bottom Line:Beaver Moon is actually a surprising hit for me. I definitely love it for fall/winter..as I kind of liken it to a bit of a comfort/snuggle scent..good for when your significant other wants to nuzzle. I will absolutely hoard my 5ml bottle..and would seriously consider getting another bottle..if I could ever find one.

Beaver Moon

Have I not reviewed this yet? Hmmm. Frankly, I was terribly disappointed when I got this oil. I ordered several bottles because I was sure that this was it. And it arrived and it was awful--so sour on me! So my bottles sat, and some got swapped. And then one day, many months later, I woke up with the need for that sour cheesecake smell. :) So I slathered it on.

And I was in LOVE. :P

Cheesecake and cupcakes and frosting and the slightest hint of something cinnamonny. omfg *dies* :D

I've been wearing Beaver Moon nearly every day for the past three months--that has to be some sort of record for me. Also? I learned that a small dab of an oil is not enough for me to fairly judge an oil. :D

Beaver Moon was one of the first LE's of any type I tried, and fortunately, it was love at first sniff!

In the imp the scent is so intesne, I was worried that it would just be too teeth-achingly sweet for my tastes. You can definitely smell the cakeness aspect of the blend - strong and mouth-wateringly sweet.

After a quick swipe on my wrist I found that it died down nicely, not losing any of the original sweetness, but merging surprisingly well with my own chemistry in a more subtle way.

The overall result? Well, after a first application, and popping over to visit my mother, my wrist was grabbed, sniffed in a way not disimilar to someone snorting illegal substances [g], and very nearly licked by my mum. 'Yum!', was the eloquent response to such a scent, and yum it is indeed!

this smelled so good in the bottle, i was hoping that it didn't go sour on me, as some of the bpal sweet and foodies tend to. and it hasn't, at all...it's got amazing throw, i can smell it even when i'm not sniffing at my wrist. creamy, cheesecake goodness, with a hint of tartness. i love it, now if only i could get more than an imp of it :P

In the bottle:Tangy cream cheese with a hint of spice.

Wet:Cheesecake with graham cracker crust.

Dry:The cupcake smell comes out more but the cheesecake is still there.It's like white cupcake base with cream cheese frosting.So yummy and not too overpowering!

When it starts to fade,it turns alittle plasticy...but that's just a good excuse to slather myself in more!

Ooh, lovely, lovely cupcakes. It starts off smelling almost just like yellow cake batter, and then a hint of buttercream pops up, and it's just yummy. I want to eat my wrist. :D I am so, so glad that I managed to get two imps of this at a very reasonable price. :P

And now I know what all the fuss is about.

In the imp: I agree with many of the other posts, that's cream cheese frosting alright. I don't know how they did it, but it's like a tiny bottle of liquid Betty Crocker cake frosting.

Initial application: oh please oh please oh please don't let it go to sour, musty nuts like some of the other cakey scents...and it doesn't! Yay! Not quite as sweet and creamy as the initial sniff, but it still smells distinctly like a delicious treat.

Drydown: from out of nowhere comes an interesting touch of cinnamon Red Hots. That was unexpected, and though cinnamon usually doesn't like me, there's a sweetness there that keeps it from going bad. Eventually the Red Hots scent fades away, and the cake smell remains. This is pretty much how I hoped Beaver Moon would turn out, the only complaint I have is that it fades quickly on my skin.

Smiley rating: :P