Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Beaver Moon 2005

Traditionally, Beaver Moon is named thus for a very obvious reason: during this time of year, beavers are hard at work building their dams and preparing for the onset of winter. Because it was too hard to resist, BPAL’s Beaver Moon is sillier, sleazier, and full of camp. This scent is of cheesecake and cupcakes, more in line with its cheekier connotations, and really hasn’t a damn thing to do with Luna at all!

This was recommend to me many times, so I eventually managed to hunt down an imp and spent a week harassing the mailman until it arrived. :D

In the imp it's vanilla, sweet, cakey goodness! Foody scents usually make me feel ill, but this is so beautiful and decadent! I'm not sure if I want to wear it or drink it.

On my skin it is ruined. My chemistry does something awful to it, and it smells like sweet, burnt plastic. It's bitter, almost sour, with that heavy vanilla note becoming almost syrupy and sickly.

After an extensive drydown period, the burnt smell fades but doesn't completely leave. :P

I can't bear to be parted with this imp since I spent so long hunting for it, but it's a scent that clearly doesn't work for me.

Maybe aging it will help. . . . *ever hopeful*

Origin:

Imp from my Imp Pimp, Diana. :D

Preconceived notions:

The cheesecake part sounds wonderful, but the cupcakes have me worried. I generally hate sweet, foody scents. :D

First sniff:

Chocolate cupcakes. :P

Seriously, it's like cramming an unfrosted chocolate cupcake up my nose. Now, you may find that to be a good thing and are thinking "Damn, I want a cupcake-up-my-nose scent!" and if you are, then you'd probably love this. I, however, don't want a cupcake shoved up my nose (literally or figuratively) every time I wear a perfume, so I don't think this is for me.

Wet on skin:

Cupcakes with icing now. That's not necessarily an improvement in terms of scent, although it would be if I were, in fact, eating this. I don't smell any cheesecake yet, but I don't think that it showing up now would salvage this scent for me. Not unless the cupcakes magically disappeared when they did.

Dry down:

Cupcakes, cupcakes and more cupcakes. I had a feeling this scent wasn't going to do it for me, but I was expecting the cheesecake to at least put in an appearance. I'm glad I got to try this, though. It was quite the, uh...experience. :D

The bottom line:

If you're a foody scent lover, fear not, Beaver Moon is for you! If you're like me, then run for your life. :D

Beaver Moon

First Sniff:

CHEESECAKE IN A BOTTLE! heartpump.gif

Wet:

Still cheesecake. Mmmmm. It is so spot-on and you can even smell the graham-cracker crust.

Drying:

Still cheesecake.

After a Few Hours:

I want to eat my wrist. Or better yet go out and buy cheesecake.

Overall Impressions:

A delicious foody scent to wear when I want people drolling over me.

Rating:

8.5/10

Thickly frosted sugar cake explosion! It's almost over-sweet for me (the first time I tried it I think I got a bit too much on and I got a nasty headache :P) but I love it! It's like the thickest sugar frosting multiplied by 20, the thick sweetness of luscious goodie-two shoes in a bottle. You want to eat it, it smells that delicious!

I love beavers! :D

I was so excited about Beaver Moon because I usually love foodie scents. In the bottle, it was all I'd hoped it would be: sweet cheesecake with a spicy bite (Mr. CG said it smelled like gingerbread). On my skin, though, it turned into a strong cloying vanilla that gave me an instant headache. My body chemistry turned it into one of those generic vanilla lotions from the mall. Ugh. I wanted to keep the bottle just so I could admire the artwork and sniff the scent without putting it on, but I decided that was too selfish as it would be much more appreciated by someone who could actually wear it.

After falling off the BPAL bandwagon for a year or so, I'm back with a vengeance.

It's been so long since I posted a review that I'm not even sure I remember how, but I'm so in :P with Beaver Moon that I'm willing to give it a shot.

I've noticed a lot of you likening this to red velvet cake. I don't guess I've ever had red velvet cake (how is that possible?), but now that I know it smells like this, I'm going to go nuts waiting on my Monster Baits!

In the bottle: Cream cheese, definitely. There's that slight sourness, but it's tempered by a deliciously sweet graham cracker crust. Good thing, since I highly doubt anyone would want to smell like cream cheese by itself. Cheesecake, though...that's a WHOLE different story. :D

Wet: Still getting the soured milk vibe, but not as strong. After just a few seconds the graham cracker really comes out to play, and I'm not sure if it's really there or not, but I get the slightest hint of spice. It's certainly not "spicy" by ANY means, but you kind of get the feeling that someone sprinkled the tiniest bit of cinnamon in with the crust.

Drydown: The tanginess is almost gone now, but not completely. It's there in the background, and has changed a bit, almost like a hint of lemon. The scent is decadent and yummy and makes me want to lick my wrist.

Final verdict: After a few minutes on my skin, it's nearly impossible to distinguish any certain notes; this oil just smells delicious. It's the PERFECT foody blend, and that's wonderful for me, because those tend to be my favorites. When I first started reading reviews of the Beave, I knew that I had to have it. I managed to score a bottle from a lovely Lush forumite (thanks kmasden!), and I slathered so heavily that the 5ml was gone in just over a week! :D Thankfully, I found another bottle (thanks to you too, gensparkie!) and received it in record time. I'm going to use it much more sparingly this go-round.

First sniff: Cream cheese brownies, anyone? I actually made a batch the night of Beaver Moon in its honor, but this is the first time I’ve tried the scent on. In the bottle, it’s amazingly rich and sweet – more rich than sweet, all buttery and chocolatey and yum.

Wearing: Huh! Did someone sprinkle cinnamon on my cream cheese brownies? I’m getting a weird spice note I wasn’t expecting at all, and it hangs around for the first couple of hours. It eventually calms down to a very pleasant foody scent… but after serious consideration, I don’t love it enough to wear it above all the other foody scents I love.

WHOA SWEET. I wanted rich foody scents, but this might be too sweet for me. It smells too much like a six-year-old's birthday party and too little like home-cooking comfort for me, but it does hit right on the money with cupcakes and frosting. Maybe it's the plastic overtone that some people have mentioned that's tilting it into dislike for me... May try it again, though.

Yum!! This is my favourite BPAL scent ever! (So far...) It's HEAVENLY!

It reminds me of butterscotch and caramel and toffee and all sorts of sweet goodness. Mmm... sooooooooooooooooooooo good! I can't really say enough good things about it. I love it to bits!

And everyone laughs when I tell them the name of the scent.

Their mind goes to naughty places. :P

Mmm... yum! So very good and sweet on me.

In vial: Sugary vanilla cake from a mix.

On me, wet: sugar, vanilla, and butter. mmmmmm.

On me, dry: This is the essense of the buttery sugary vanilla that I loved so much underneath the Monster Baits. Wafting, calorie-laden, sweet, fattening....yum.

Verdict: This is a fantastic one. I think it would give an extra sugar kick to perfumes with a little sweet in them to begin with, but it's also kind of pleasant just to smell like vanilla butter cookies.

This smells like cake - no, wait - like icing. Icing that's been made not just with sugar and butter, but with some sort of liquor base (rum, maybe?)

It smells deeee-licious.

Very mild in the imp, just a little sweet.

On: Sugar and more sugar, with a bit of vanilla and some cheesecake sourness, but just enough. Not a ton of cloying throw, thank goodness.

On the whole, a simple sweet foody scent, which is not me. I like some incense, musk or spice with my foodiness. off to someone who will love it more.

This is everything it promises--cheesecake, right down to the spicy graham cracker crust.

But on me, it turns very, very creamy vanilla...it's so creamy and sugary, actually, that when I wear it I feel dirty. :P But it smells so good I don't mind...I just wear it when I work out or go riding, and know I'm going to shower later anyway!

I can't believe I've never written a review for Beaver Moon because I think it is my favorite BPAL of all time.

It smells just like the description- cheesecake and cupcakes- what else is there to say?

I have gotten many compliments wearing this, it's just delicious! If you can find a bottle by all means get it- no wait- send it to me! :P

Do you ever have one of those scents that you know isn't working on you and yet you refuse to accept it and still become obsessed with it?

Yeah, that's me and Beaver Moon.

It's so close to working, it has it's beautiful sweet vanilla frosting moments that make me feel the need to hoarde all the imps of this I can find. And then I catch a whiff of what can only be described as burnt sugar and plastic. :P

And yet I keep buying it. *headdesk* But in its good moments, it's so wonderfully good. It just feels warm and cozy, like you're wrapped in a blanket in a cabin with a mug of rum-spiked cocoa and a plate of brownies. Even though it smells nothing like chocolate...

Must. Stop. Buying. Beaver. Moon.

ETA: Gah, and then my coworkers all tell me just how wonderful it smells. NOT HELPING!

Edited by ariesathena

Beaver Moon

mmm..cheesecake and cupcakes!

In the bottle: exactly like cake.

On me: The same. At first I thought this would be one that would fade on me. But after a few hours the scent has become richer, creamy and warm, like cake right from the oven. This one makes me want to lick my skin! Interesting!

This one morphs on me a bit, but all of its stages are positively delicious!

In the vial it's almost overpoweringly sweet, but once I put it on it's creamy delicious cake.

After a few minutes there's a definite hint of cinnamon.

An hour later? Dr. Brown's Cream Soda. Ooh!

Deeelish.

Beautiful. I got this as a frimp in a swap and this is just heaven. Wet on my skin it smells like pure chocolate cupcakes and stays like that for a while.. I swear though I smelt something nutty there for a few minutes though. After about awhile the cheesecake comes through.. I think, lol. I don't eat cheese cake because I hate cheese in all its forms... so I've never allowed myself to be close enough to one to smell it. But, it does smell different.. the cupcake has more of a tang to it.

Final thoughts: Sugary chocolate cupcake.

Yummy.

This smells just like the description says- cheesecake and cupcakes. It's very sweet and I can almost taste it. I like it a lot, but it's making me crave cheesecake.

Yummy. That's pretty much it. There's the cheesecake and cupcakes in it... but it's something else in there. There's a strange fruit i think... I really can't put my finger on it. It doesn't smell necessarily bakery sweet. There's a freshness to it.

And beaver moon has an amazing staying-power. It stays all day, which is one reason I am going to get my hands on some.

Beaver Moon smells like artificial cheesecake. I can imagine that someone who likes bakery scents would enjoy it, but I find it cloyingly sweet. It does not last long on my skin, and has a low level of throw before it fades. I have also tried to layer it with other recommended scents (e.g., Pink Phoenix) and it still smells way too saccharine and synthetic for my preference.

MmmmmmcupcakesandcheesecakesandsugarygoodnessOHMY!

Thank God this isn't really as edible as it smells. I'd gain way too much weight -- heck, I think I've put on 5 pounds just smelling it. But it smells so good. Yes, I smell cupcakes. Yes, I smell cheesecake. Yes, this is a very sweet, sugary, baked foodsy scent. And I absolutely love it and must get more. My only complaint is that it only lasts a few hours on me, but it has a VERY strong throw.

This smells exactly like yellow cake batter--the kind you can't help but lick from the spoon once you've poured most of your batter into cupcake tins.

Both in the bottle and on my skin, Beaver Moon maintains this amazingly warm, deliciously butter-sweet scent that honestly makes me hungry. :D

And my God, does it linger. A few hours after application, I could still smell the delicious scent of warm cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting. Now, about 10 hours after I first applied the oil, the fragrance has settled into a scent that almost reminds of of hot cocoa.

This fragrance is dee-lish. I don't know if I could wear it a lot, though. Why? Because I'd be tempted to bake cupcakes upon every application. And there's only so much temptation a girl can resist before she gives in. :P

OMG!

This makes me want some CAKE!

It's rich vanilla cakey goodness! In the imp it was deceptively quiet, but once I had it dried on my skin it was like a freshly baked slice of yellow cake. I agree I couldn't wear this all the time, but a light little dab.

This is an awesome scent.

5/5!!

Thanks to Blood onmy Hands for the decant.

Vial: Pure sugar, which I'm assuming is the cupcake accord.

Skin: The sugar evolves almost immediately into something more complex, a flowery sort of vanilla.

Drydown: A hint ot graham cracker crust starts to emerge over time, and then that creamy quality of the cheesecake, but it's rather subtle, more like the suggestion of cheesecake than the thing itself. Kind of like when you walk by a bakery and everything is so blended that it reminds you of various odors, but you can't necessarily pick out anything specific. Because this doesn't manifest that strongly with my chemistry, I'm thinking it would make a nice lotion for layering with another scent, as it gives me a delicate sweetness.

Edited by luna65