Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Beaver Moon 2005

Traditionally, Beaver Moon is named thus for a very obvious reason: during this time of year, beavers are hard at work building their dams and preparing for the onset of winter. Because it was too hard to resist, BPAL’s Beaver Moon is sillier, sleazier, and full of camp. This scent is of cheesecake and cupcakes, more in line with its cheekier connotations, and really hasn’t a damn thing to do with Luna at all!

In the bottle this smells of cheesecake and I am delighted. But once it dries, I get this sour note that reminds me of rancid butter. I would have loved this if it weren't for my chemistry.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2. Edited by Shollin

Yummmm!!

I love this. This is now one of my definite top 5 BPAL scents. It is like cinnamon sprinkled cheesecake, and/or cupcakes with cinnamon creamcheese frosting, or even cookies (that's what my boy smells, and he says it makes him HUNGRY :D). This doesn't wear very long, and has great throw for the first 20 or so minutes, but then fades down to a delectible skin scent. I am SO pleased with the Beav. :P

feel the need to add: I acquired an imp of Eggnog and they smell *very* similar both in the bottle and wet out of the imp, but then eggnog goes through a very fast spiced up phase and turns to plastic on me, whereas Beaver just mellows with no plastic HOORAY!

ETA: This has fast become my favorite BPAL to wear, day in and day out. I still love and adore several other scents, but find my way to the Beav most frequently. Last night I applied before bed, and found that (whether it was an instance of peculiar chemistry, or that the oil is changing on me) it smelled of the soft spicy sweetness that redhots give off, on top of the blanket of vanilla cheesecake goodness. Definitely more cinnamon than previously, but still absolutely deeelicious!

Edited by Avery

In the bottle -

Vanilla cookies, spread with sugared cream cheese. Someone was talking about making oatmeal raisin sandwich cookies with cream cheese frosting the other day - I imagine they would smell something like this :P

Wet on the skin -

The cheesecake note really comes out at first, followed by a cinnamony biscuity note like the base.

Dry -

Creamy cinnamon and nutmeg, with a hint of cheesecake. Not as foody as it is when it's wet.

Le boyf says -

"Smells of Baileys - creamy and sickly. 2 out of 10 - but only because you could wear it to make your enemies sick."

I so wanted to love and adore this! Reading the reviews, I was sorry I'd only bought one bottle. But, although it's nice, it's not what I imagined it to be, and I think I preferred the imagined version.

I'll persevere though!

At first sniff, this has a very boozy smell to it - I too am reminded of Bailey's, though it doesn't smell sickly to me.

Some people have mentioned getting a sort of floury smell from this, and I get that too. I happen to love baking, and the smell of flour, so damn, I like this.

It's less cheesecake than cupcake - red velvet cupcakes, or maybe something angel foody - and I'm glad of that, as I really only enjoy cheesecake in moderation.

I almost didn't order this one, but a friend pm'd me and more or less instructed me to. Yay for her! I really like good ol' Beaver Moon.

Beaver Moon was completely irrisistable, although I am sometimes overwhelmed by really "bakey" scents, so while I really hoped to love this, I was a little nervous.

The first thing I smelled in the bottle was cream cheese frosting. Rally yummy cream cheese frosting with an undercurrent of cakiness.

On my skin it mellows into a warm vanilla that is foody without making me feel like I've been rolling around in cake batter. Definitely a keeper.

In the bottle - strong, sweet, edible goodness. Mainly cheesecake.

On the Skin - initial - sweet cheesecake, but then it morphs pretty quick and I get plastic. It's similar to the initial note I get in Midway (I get plastic there too) but much much sweeter. It's a very strong scent and the throw is tremendous.

After about 20 minutes or so - the plastic note burns off and I get edible goodness, the tanginess of cheesecake, maybe a touch of crust.

Overall - I didn't think that it could be done but Beth did a hell of a job capturing these scents. It's pretty phenomenal really. The beginning and ending are great, but the getting there is not good. Is it a keeper? I'm not sure, but it does have some yummy phases.

Sweet, sugary cheesecake and cupcake frosting. I adore this in the bottle as it it's silly and tons of fun but my skin chemistry pulls what I like to call "the great sugar cookie caper" on this one.

Otherwise known as it, for some reason, starts to smell like burnt plastic after a few minutes.

Le. Sigh.

Wet this smells just like cheesecake- yum! When first on it smells like cheesecake with a hint of baking spices and a graham cracker crust. After a minute or two it develops a slight musty smell like the sawdust note in Midway. That note fades after several minutes leaving a lovely sweet and creamy vanilla. Yummy! :P

I bought an imp of this one just to see what it was like. I'll keep the imp, just for the novelty of the scent, but it's not a perfume scent on me. It's too foody! I didn't think there was such a thing, but there you have it. It starts out as a buttery graham cracker crust with a little buttercream thrown in, and turns into a Yankee Candle-fied version of vanilla frosting. A few hours later, it's a good, quiet vanilla, but I have enough yummy BPAL vanilla scents that don't have a Yankee Candle phase, so it's not a must have.

It is interesting, though. And I think it captures the campy side of Beaver Moon perfectly.

Beaver Moon = Jello brand cheesecake mix in the box, before it's assembled into an actual dessert.

It's creamy, milky, brown sugary, and has the slightest tinge of sour cream-ness.

It made me absolutely ravenous both time I tried it. I'm dieting, so that was a BAD thing :P

It's very, very foody--which is usually a great thing in my book.

...just not when I'm dieting :D

Beaver Moon is the first Lunacy that I've purchased. I'm so glad that I ordered two bottles.

In the bottle, it smells like the cream cheese part of a cheesecake. After it's been on for a while I smell the cheesecake, along with a hint of a sweet, (cherry-like?) topping and a graham-cracker crust.

It's a great scent to wear when it's dark and gloomy and rainy. Beaver Moon is light and sweet. It's a good comfort scent!

In the bottle - Actually not as sweet as I was expecting. Cheesecake, cream and coconut, very nice.

Wet on me - Predominantly a slightly sharp cheesecake mix, with added vanilla.

Dry on me - Aaaargh! Melting Plastic! Fortunately this doesn't last very long (about 30 minutes) and when its gone it leaves a lovely, creamy, sweet, powdery vanilla that lasts for ages.

In the vial: Candy corn.

Wet: Chocolate, sugar and caramel.

Drydown: Is that musk underneath all those sweets? This is bizarre.

Dry: This is definitely musk. Jovan Musk. That '70s Scent. Ultrasuede gaucho pants, brown leather boots, satin shirts. The Bee Gees. Saturday Night Fever. "How Deep Is Your Love." Roller rinks. Glitter balls. Wow, what a trip, man.

ETA: I didn't read the official description when I tried it on last night. The above are just my impressions. But I swear, it smelled exactly like Jovan Musk on me last night, and brought back all those associations. It was gone, though, by the time I woke up this morning.

Edited by merebrillante

Swapped my Fruit Moon for this, and I can definitely see myself wearing this one more than the other. I get a very similar vanilla/cookie/frosting/sugar overload smell at first but then it warms to a more cakey scent. This was good for me this week since I have been on a no sugar/flour diet this week, and it fulfilled that craving.

I do get wafts of a plastic or tinny scent, but they are infrequent. I will have to try it on a different day and see if it makes a difference.

ETA: This morning it smells like cream soda. Instead of smelling thick on me like frosting would, it smells watery somehow - so... cream soda. But I <3 it. (1/16)

ETA: Okay... maybe more like an ice cream soda. Or icecream with milk on it and sprinkles. (2/3)

Edited by sh1mm3r

I almost passed on Beaver Moon. Sweet scent have a tendency to go plastic on me. But, cheescake?? I had to try it.

Love it. It is sweet cupcakes, graham cracker crust, and fluffy vanilla frosting. Yummy.

Beaver Moon makes me happy. It smells like buttercream frosting, which I think might be one of the happiest smells in the whole world.

Like other BPAL scents in this vein, I do get a tiny hint of plastic close to my skin, but it's not enough to turn me off of Beaver Moon. The throw is sheer joy and I love having this wafting around me.

yummy and that is what everyone who smells me when i wear this say too! it's so sweet, cozy and creamy. it is very foody but i do good with foody.

rating 5 out of 5

First Impression: Rich, Sweet, Creamy with a hint of strawberries.

Dries down to: Doesn't change much - except the strawberries fade even more into the background - just stays yummy.

Additional Comments: This really does smell like cheesecake - the one you used to be able to get at Lindy's restaurant in NYC. This is a big time nostalgia scent for me - a defitinite keeper.

Lasted: A few hours.

Rating: 4 out of 5

to me, this smells exactly like red velvet cake! no cheesecake, no graham cracker -- just rich red cake, heavy on the vanilla. yummy.

Received this yesterday and was very excited to try it, but I put it off till today.

In imp: Oh yum. Absolutely foody. I tend to agree more with the cheesecake interpretation than cupcake; it's also very sweet with an almost pie-crust undertone. :P

Applied at 9:20

Wet: Just as in bottle! May be a winner.

Drydown: Smells like Egg Nog '04, minus the nutmeg.

1:27: I can't smell it anymore, but if I really press my nose to my skin, it still smells like Egg Nog, but without the nasty smoke that scent left. Can't say i love it because it faded pretty fast and didn't stay true, but not many things do on my skin.

Summary: I love this in the bottle, but it doesn't stay on me. I'll keep it because it smells the way I wished Egg Nog would, but if a friend wanted to swap I don't think I'd say no.

Purchased as a decant from dpoulsen21 and it arrived in the post this morning, so grabbed the imp and........

Woo, in the imp this smells just like shop-bought cheesecake, definitely foody, not *massively* sweet, but still very bakery.

Wet: Smells really cheese-cakey on me. At this stage I thought I would really enjoy this one.

Drydown: Well I have been wearing it for nearly 12 hours now and it is still really really strong. I only put a dab on. I am getting cheesecake/vanilla buttercream, but I am also getting that plastic "my little pony" smell. I don't feel like its agreeing with me all that much at the moment....

I have been feeling headachy and a bit nauseous all day. I was feeling a bit odd before putting on Beaver Moon, so I'm going to put it down to this, and give Beaver Moon another try when I am feeling a bit less wierd. This has all the right elements, I blame me rather than the oil, and I will report back later!

Beaver Moon was one I first loved, then rejected, and now have made peace with. In fact I've been adoring it, to be honest. It's extremely strong on my skin, and must be applied with caution- I do best when I have an imp to apply with rather than the bottle, I tend to get too much on with the bottle.

Anyway, the scent of cheesecake, frosting, and definite graham cracker crust is amazing. Delicious. Husband always says "You smell like cotton candy" when I wear it.

Yes. Beav is yummy. 5 out of 5. I had no idea foody scents captivated me as much as they have, but there you go.

Edited to add: the graham cracker crust scent is cassia. I realize that now after the unpleasant experience that was Monster Bait: Underbed. A little bit of cassia like in the Beav here goes a looonnnnng way. Too much is unpleasant, and irritates my skin. Beaver Moon can too, actually- I have to apply it far up on my forearms because it makes my wrists itch.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

Picture this:

*opens the imp and dabs on wrists*

*sniffs*

*whimpers*

*shrieks*

*repeats in a delighted mantra: "it's just like cheesecake! IT'S JUST LIKE CHEESECAKE!"*

First whiff: ... yes, that's dead-on cheesecake!

The slightly sour note, the light sweetness, the spiciness of the crust, it's all there and I'm enthralled and elated and swooooon :D

Boy, this is foodie heaven bar none!

Drydown: the sourness of the cheese part goes away quite quickly, which is too bad, I loved it. The spices also mellow out quite a bit, to be gradually replaced by a thick, sweeeeet vanilla. It's not quite as nice as in the beginning, but still extremely pleasant in its own terms.

After hours, the spiciness comes back, and the lingering scent reminds me a bit of Graham crackers (speculoos even, for fellow Belgians). Oh goodness.

Verdict: ...you know, I had no idea that my goal in life was to actually smell of cheesecake, but yeah, it seems like it :P

I adore this scent. ADORE it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be off sniffing my wrists some more :D

9.5/10

Yay! My second Lunacy: a decant snagged from the lovely rhovanion, over on the LJ comm alchemylab. :P

In the Imp: Do I even need to say? Cheesecake! The cheesiest cheese that ever caked. Definitely lots of vanilla, the slight tang of the cream cheese, a golden grain note that smells precisely like graham cracker crusts, and something just a touch fruity.... strawberries? Ye Gods, this is fantastic. It makes my mouth water just to sniff it. How does Beth do it? I want to drink this, or, failing that, dump it all over myself. But no, I will exercise restraint-- I only have a 1/3 dram bottle, after all, that's barely more than an Imp. But oh, it's difficult. I was having a craving for sweets already and this..... I wonder if we have the ingredients for cheesecake? Anyway, I'm wool-gathering. On with the review.

Wet: Cinnamon and vanilla-- playdough! Luckily I tested this once before writing this review, and I seem to remember the funky part burned off after a while. Let's hope it does so again. It's still really quite pleasant, just not the mouth-watering eye-popping goodness it was before it hit my wrists. (Hmmm, odd, that. I'm getting all playdough on one wrist and all vanilla cinnamon on the other. Weird.) The grains and strawberries seemed to have vanished, but I'd be perfectly happy with just yummy cinnamon vanilla sugar, if only that damn playdough would go away. *twiddles thumbs*

Dry: Ah, there we go. It's calming down now. The throw on this is spectacular... delicious vanilla cupcakes, and definitely detectable from quite a ways away. It's still got a touch of something artificial about it, but at least it's no longer identifiable as playdough. This is all creamy, lightly spiced vanilla now, more icing than cheesecake, but you won't find me complaining. Beaver Moon is the new front man in my arsenal for when I'm feeling playful and affectionate. This isn't sexy or evocative or mysterious or sophisticated, it's pure spun sugar and I love it. :D

EDIT: The second time I wore this, it was playdough and nothing but. Swaps.

Edited by WidgetAlley

god this is just DELICIOUS! when I sniffed it out of the decant, I couldn't place the scent I was smelling. it wasn't quite cupcakes/cheesecake yet, it was fruitier almost.

but on my skin. oh god. sweet cream cheese frosting and red velvet cupcakes. yay!

thanks so much Beth for making such a yummy Moon!