Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Beaver Moon 2005

Cheesecake and cupcakes, yo! This is Beaver Moon 2005 resurrected!

I have to say that my daughter is a total BM 05 freak, but I was never tempted, because I don't care for the "cheesecake-y" note. I got a decant of this just to check out, though, and was trying to figure out why I love it! I figured it out last night: I get strawberry Midway!! Ab-so-lute-ly deeeelicious!!! Goin' back for a bottle!!

This is the SAME cakey goodness in MONSTERBAIT: CLOSET & in EAT ME, but with out the blackberry bourbon...

OMFG its soooo good my tummy is growling.

I had been wanting a bottle of the old Beaver Moon for a while and had been keeping my out on Ebay for it but now that it's been resurrected, I've finally got my bottle! In the bottle, it is entirely sweet cake goodness with the cheesecake note underneath. On me, I quickly get an unexpected spice note. It's almost gingerbread-y. The spice note sticks around for a white and then it becomes all frosted buttercream cupcakes with tons and tons of sugar and huge slices of vanilla cheesecake. I don't get any strawberries or any other fruits, only frosting, cake, and the spice. This is just a swirl of richness and sugary creaminess, like some of kind of insane pink bakery. Awesome!

this is for the resurrected one:

wet/in imp: YUM. YUM YUM. i get buttery vanilla goodness from this.

dry: it smells really similar to love's philosophy and it has a nutty undertone to it. my skin eats it like candy. it doesn't have much throw as i can barely smell it now and it's only been 10 minutes. maybe its just that it's too new and hasn't had time to marinate. i think i'll still pick up a bottle because i have been looking for a cheesecake scent. now only if i could find a strawberry cheesecake scent...

I get strawberry Midway!! Ab-so-lute-ly deeeelicious!!! Goin' back for a bottle!!

I would have totally agree with that- that's exactly what popped into my head: Strawberry Midway. :D

In the bottle: I immedigately got the whole strawberry cheesecake thing- very sweet, not too fruity, but definitely cheesy.

Wet on skin: The cheesecake part disappears almost immediately, leaving just angel food cake with just a drizzle of strawberry sauce.. kinda like how they do in them fancy restaurants, giving a squiggle of sauce on the plate. :P

Dry: Soft, sweet, and sugary with a hint of berries..."strawberry Midway". Unfortunately, just like Midway, it turned to plastic after a little while. :D If it didn't, it would have been a keeper.

Edited by beturtlement

In vial: cheesecake and cupcakes, no less!

Wet on skin: just what it says - plain cheesecake and cupcakes.

Dry on skin: The cheesecake part vanishes, but it's a very yummy cake scent. I swear I got a hint of strawberry too. It's strawberry-flavoured buttercream icing!

I put this on before bedtime and woke a couple of times to the most delicious smell ever! I was determined to order several back up bottles before this goes down. By morning I was getting a little tired of it, though. Buttercream icing is one of my favourite foods ever ... for the first three mouthfuls! So this hovers between BEST FOODY SCENT EVER and a cupcake that started out well but now the icing is too sickly sweet! Definitely a keeper, but I won't need more!

I've been dying to try this forever! and it arrived today!

in bottle: sweet, foody. pretty much like I expected.

on skin: definite cheesecake note, which is odd because I never really thought of cheesecake as having a smell, much less something I'd want to smell like. but it's awesome. It keeps the sweetness from being too cloying.

drydown: stays foody and sweet. it doesn't get the burned sugar note a lot of foody blends get, which is nice. this is a true foodie's dream.

after an hour: it's fading, but it may just have rubbed off. I definitely like it enough to keep one of my bottles, maybe both of them.

in a nutshell: true to description with a definite impression of both buttercream frosting and cheesecake. unsure of wearlength or throw.

I'm impressed--the resurrected Beaver Moon smells EXACTLY like the 2005 version to my nose. YAY! Excellent recreation. Still heavy on the cheesecake crust on me once it dries, and still completely delectable.

In the imp: Cheesecake cupcake, indeed. Very sweet.

Fresh on the skin: Artificial, like concentrated whatever it was in Miskatonic U that made me want to gag. Mildewy, moldy, rancid, plasticky, just, ick. :(

5 minutes later: Strong sillage, not much better.

10 minutes later: If the cat weren't sitting on my lap, I would be washing this off.

2 hours later: Finally, I am released! This has calmed down into a sort of generic fake cake smell, still with a core that smells weirdly icky to me. I spent a lot of time in the last two hours holding my wrist as far away from my nose as possible. I think I'm going to attempt to wash this off now.

Verdict: I wanted to like this, I really really did. But it's just not for me. I wish I had the right chemistry for this. :(

One phrase: moldy, plasticky cake.

This is for Beaver'Versary!

Bottle: Mmm cheesecake. (I feel should say, I don't actually like cheesecake. But! I do love how it smells!) Mmmmmm. *gets high off imp* *coughs* Anyways.

Wet: Not quite cheesecake, but definitely foody. I think it's more the cupcake side, with a little bit of strawberry.

Dry: Hrm. I generally don't get a plastic note with vanilla/foody scents, but there's a bit of it here while drying. And my skin seems to be devouring it. :(

Verdict: So, all said and done, it's... um. Actually it smells like a very faint version of Eat Me. Which is great! I love Eat Me! It's one of top ten! It's just... well, I was expecting more, I guess. But! If you love Eat Me, you will definitely like this!

4/5 (<-- Basically Eat Me's 5/5 minus a point for my skin eating it.)

Strawberry, vanilla cheesecake complete with buttercream frosting.

It is so damn yummy. While it has a great throw it does not compare with BM'07.

In the background there is a hint of red fruits, maybe strawberries, cherries, or raspberries.

However, vanilla cupcakes with cream cheese frosting is now embedded in my brain, and the berries are a mere afterthought.

So flipping yummy.

Beaver'versary 2008

Lol, it's exactly the same only fresh!

This is for beaver'versary:

Bottle: Delicioius is the word that comes to mind!

Wet: Yummy creamy vanilla, maybe a hint of chocolate, and even some spice...like a carrot cake cupcake!

Drying: This has a doughy cakeyness about it--flour and all.

Dry: Relly nice rich vanilla blend, like a super upscale candle. And it doesn't go plasticky on me like some of the super foody blends, so that's a big positive!

Overall: Really yummy, but not as multidimentional on me as I would have hoped when it reached its dry phase. The wet phase was so awesome. I'm going to let this get some age on it and have another go. But if it remains "yum vanilla" then I don't think I'll need to hang onto this one.

ADDED Aug. 9:

I was sad to have missed the original Beaver Moon--there was so much raving over it. To this day, I still haven't tried the original, but I snatched up Beaver-versary so I could find out what all all the fuss was about. It IS delicious.

Bottle: A very pure vanilla--not boozy or dark at all. And a wee bit of light spice? Mostly, vanilla, sweet and almost candy-ish. Like vanilla sugar.

Wet: A mild vanilla buttercream. Its actually relatively faint on my skin.

Dry: Sweet, pure, light vanilla buttercream. Occasionally, I can get a waft of tangier cheesecake, and I even feel like there's a little bit of strawberry at times. But mostly, its buttercream, light and sweet. It is much more faint than I expected, but it seems to strengthen with time, unlike many other blends. A few hours later, I found myself wondering what the yummy scent was, and it was me.

Overall: Yummy, yes...but I am not as wowed by this as I thought I would be considering all the rave reviews. Its fairly weak on me and pretty one-dimensional. Beautiful in its simplicity, but simple nonetheless.

Edited by Shollin

Beaver'versary

In the bottle: Colourless oil. Sweet and foody; it really smells exactly like it says. I get a bit more cupcake than cheesecake, heavy on the frosting. Yum!

Wet: It's not too sweet or buttery as foody stuff often is. There's almost a hint of spice underlying it, and maybe some grain or nut, like carrot cake.

Dry: The spice note is more prominent. Clove, I think, which I tend to amp. It does add an interesting dimension but not one I personally like.

Later: I don't really find this very creamy, despite the frosting. It's rich, but I don't get butter or cream, only a creamy vanilla that amps over time.

Summary: This starts out as deliciously tangy cream cheese frosted cupcakes and steadily morphs into mostly clove and too-sweet vanilla, with only a hint of of that delicious beginning.

SIGH. Thankfully it's low in throw and longevity.

Edited by fairnymph

YES! Beaver'versary is exactly like my beloved 2005 Beaver Moon! Exactly! Oh, I am a happy happy cupcake of a goth.

Beaver Moon is one of my three all-time favorite scents from BPAL (the other two being Pink Moon 2005 and Lump of Coal). You'd better believe I stocked up. :D

-Jilli

2008 version

Yummy, foodie. Not me.

This is better than I thought it would me - it lacks the heavy butter scent of many foodies, making it something I'll wear from time to time - if I don't just pass it on to a foodie loving friend! Spicier than I expected, and (as others have said) more cupcake than cheesecake.

Edited by innocent

Never had the slightest bit of interest in Beaver Moon--foody scents are not my thing. But with the return I thought I'd spring for a decant just for giggles.

In the imp, sweet and foody, very nice, but not for wearing, said I.

On, pretty much the same, although more pleasant to my nose than many other foodys.

As it dries though, the sweet cream cake-and-frosting smell fades, and is replaced by spicy, fruity and vanilla elements. Much less identifiably foody, and a delight to smell! Good throw, and lasts for a long time. I must have more!

Beaver'versary, you smell SO GOOD in the bottle. You are all moist, rich cheesecake and cupcakes. Like red velvet cake. I want to eat you.

Then I put you on my skin, and you HATE me. I swear the Lab's sugar note is not my friend. It goes burnt and plasticky and bad. :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

Oh, Beaver'versary! I had such high hopes for you...

initial thoughts -> I REALLY want this to work! Every other scent I've tried like this has lost the battle with my skin chemistry. Hopefully Beaver'versary will be the one to break this pattern!

imp-> Delicious cheesecake with a whiff of baking spices! :yum: Pure and simple.

wet-> Cheesecake and frosting! So good! Please please please scent deities, let it stay like this.

after a while -> no...NO! It's like the sweet deliciousity of my yummy cake has gone stale and hard right before my eyes! Why, Beaver'versary, why do you hate me so?

I was really quite skeptical about this one; loved it in the imp (mmm, vanilla cupcakes!), but was not sure that it would work.

It did, and now I am a bit disappointed that I didn't order a bottle! After about ten minutes on my skin, it begins to smell almost EXACTLY like Huesos de Santo does on me--minus the anise seed note.

I can see why people are so crazy about this one!

Short Review: Eat Me without the cherries.

Tall Double Nonfat Review: The Happy Tropical Pig on Aeaea's label has a new friend, and it's the I CAN HAS CUPCAKE LOL Beaver. :D As for the scent, it's exactly what the Lab says it is--cupcakes and cheesecake. There's a very faint milky note that demonstrates yes, this IS a cheesecake in here, but it burns off quickly and what's left is basically a happy bouncy cake-vanilla-sugar-omg. I think there's something fruity going on in the background, very similar to the fruit in Eat Me, but it's purely a grace note. Might be cherry, might be pineapple, might even be banana. And since those fruit notes smell nothing alike, I'll just figure it's a whiff of something that would feel at home as part of a banana split and call it good.

It's delicious, it's sweet, it's as foody as the day is long and it lasts until the cows come home. It makes jaded store clerks smile and makes people like me. So, you know, pretty much perfect. <3

Lobster Rating

better than: the first sunny day in spring

This is for the 2008 Beaver'Versary.

This is a moist, white, freshly-made cupcake with a thick layer of cream-cheese frosting, adorned with a juicy dollop of strawberry pulp. And, as if that wasn't delicious enough, every now and then there is a redolant little whiff of spices...like nutmeg and cinnamon. Did I order a bottle? Are bears Catholic? YUM.

Beaver'Versary, Nov 2008 to Jan 2009

This scent was all cream-cheese frosting when I initially applied it, sweet and heady, though as it started to dry down, it developed a slightly scorched smell (something that a lot of sugar scents do on me).

After a while, it's a smoky, cake-y cream cheese frosting and very good… though possibly too sweet or too strong on me--it overpowered everything and hung about me in a cloud. I may have to apply this one with some caution.

After about four hours, the slightly scorched or smoky smell goes away and the scent is pure frosting goodness. Oddly, the scent seems to grow stronger, rather than fainter, through the day (I've had this same experience with Eat Me--I'm pretty sure it's the cake note). Very sweet, very edible. Fun!

Recaplet: Sweet, sometimes smoky cupcakes heavily frosted.

My rating: 4 of 5 (I really like this!)

Color impression: Cream-white frosting with rainbow sprinkles.

Edited by kjirstiben

Forgive me, Paypal, for I have sinned...

I almost decided against getting this but DAMN, IS WEAKNESS REWARDING. Ridiculous that I can get my hands on some of this, as I decided from the beginning of my initiation into this (fragrant) madhouse that it would be utterly impossible. This is the 2008 Anniversary resurrection. Oh GOD: Graham cracker crust first (delicioussss from the bakery spices), then moves on to a tiered display of fluffy, sweet, golden cupcakes with vanilla frosting. This is actually edible. It doesn't burn or go stale and gray within minutes (cake and butter will very often do that to me, those bastards). It feels like rich dessert but I'm somehow not gagging, I keep smelling my arm. Perfection. I can't get another bottle probably, but I'm going to treasure my 5 mL forever.

Edited by MisterShrapnel

Oh the jokes that you can make with this one! Anyways, I only bought one bottle of this, as I am not a true foody and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised with Beaver'versary. If I'd known there was a spicy component, I probably would have ordered at least one more. This goes on gloriously spicy, I get the comparison to the graham cracker crust. There is a touch of "real", not fake strawberry, the first bpal strawberry I've enjoyed, and found not to be fake. (I'm sure there are others out there!) The cheesecake is subdued, but there. I really, really like this, and will treasure my lone little bottle.