Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Jezebel

Biblical witch, priestess of Astarte, and general troublemaker. A true role model for today’s upwardly mobile Modern Woman. A gloriously decadent blend of honey, roses, orange blossom and sandalwood.

This is powdery and a bit cloying. Perhaps there’s some sort of fruit (coconut?) in the background. Then, the powder turns from cloying powder into baby powder. It then goes back into the cloying powder stage…sort of like a stale, musky powder. I wouldn’t say that’s a bad thing—just not my sort of thing.

I'm quoting malanna because it's a very accurate description of this scent on me. I might also add that it smells:

1.) Like the inside of a really shady headshop;

2.) Like a REALLY aggressive cheap amber knockoff.

I'm not saying at all that that's what's in it--I can, with some judicious sniffing, pick out the honey and sandalwood notes--but just what my skin does to it. It's a shame, too, because I was prepared to love it. Oh, Jezebel, you faithless creature, it's off to the swap pile for you.

Honey, roses and orange blossom? Doomed from the start. I expected it to go sickenly sweet so I applied this over a sink (in the quick dodge to get it off before it nauseated me, as all three normally do). I put it on and...within 2 seconds, it's turned to baby powder. I wait and wait to see if anything else develops but it doesn't. Baby powder, plain and simple.

Oh well. I tried.

Wet on me this was strong, sweet, cloying honey. To me it's the same honey as in Athens, so sweet and heavy it takes your breath away, but in a good way as far as I'm concerned. When it dries the honey is still the prominant note on me, but there is now a powdery orange note in the background. Overall this is a very pretty sweet blend.

I tried this because I'm on a mission to try all the BPAL honey scents, since some of them have been wonderful on me.

Jezebel. I'm so sad, because most reviewers got honey + orange + rose and I get... powder. Ah well. It turns to powder on me just the same way O does.

I'm not sure what the two of them share, but they need to stop it. *pout* :P

In the imp this smelled delicious. Sweet, fruity, sugary.

As soon as it touched my skin, before it even started drying out, it turned to baby powder. :P :D

This is the first time this has happened to me! I'm so sad!

ETA: After 2 hours, the baby powder faded slightly, and now I can smell the honey a bit. It smells like baby powder dipped in honey.

Edited by HoneyHoneyNY

Jezebel

When first applied, Jezebel was intensely sweet on me, but with a citrusy freshness. Like lemon or orange lollipops. An artificial smell, candy rather than fruit or flowers, but still quite nice. As it dries, the citrus dissappears and it's mostly just sweet honey and perhaps slightly soapy (the rose?). Not powdery though, still juicy and mouthwatering. I don't mind sugarsweet smells so I quite like this, except for the slight soapy touch.

Edited to add: When I retried it I didn't get the orange lollipop thingie anymore. Instead it went rather sour/soapy/powdery, the throw makes me quite nauseous. Swapped it.

Edited by Caltha

jezebel

at first: holy crap! this is beautiful. a perfect mix of honey, rose, and orange blossom, with just a touch of sandalwood.

on: very heavy on the honey. this is worrying me a bit. however, there's something else going on. something like orange rind. weird.

15 minutes later: my skin is amping up the honey to a ridiculous degree.

half an hour later: i cannot deal with this. it's just...so heady. i had to wash it off.

1 hour later: even though i tried to wash this off, i can still smell the honey. it just won't go away.

5 hours later: i've washed my hands 3 times so far and still...honey. go away, honey! go away!

overall: obviously, not for me. i wonder if i'll ever be able to get this off of me...

Jezebel

in vial: cloyingly sweet orange blossom and honey

wet: same, with a hint of rose

dry: the orange blossom disappears, and I am left with rose and sandalwood with a hint of honey. This smells similar to a lighter version of Rakshasa on me. Lasts less than three hours.

verdict: not long lasting enough for me and I prefer the stronger scent of Rakshasa. I will finish the imp, but won't be buying a larger bottle.

Jezebel was a nasty combination of sharp and sickeningly sweet. As others have noted, I also found this scent very cloying. And the honey ensured that a vague powdery undertone was present.

This one is going right to swap.

Whooboy. Just as I thought...roses, and honey. Sending it to my sweetie, cause, well, its certainly not for a guy. Smelled good on my mom though. :P

Smells so sweet and yummy in the imp but on my skin it turned a little powdery. The honey is delish though and the rose isn't that strong. As time goes on I really like this. The orange picks up a bit too. This is very light on me and not overpowering at all. I smell like a sweet little thing :P

Initial Sniff: Flowers dripping with honey. Odd.

Wearing: When wet, this smells like berries and honey - toothachingly sweet. As it dries, the rose comes out and the fruit scent recede. I was expecting this to turn to pure rose on me (like everything with rose), but oddly enough, the honey was strong enogh to hang in there. The drydown is a sweet honeyed rose.

Final Impressions: Rose has been surprising me this month, and this is no exception. Nice.

This was light roses with a touch of orange blossom at first application, very nice, very feminine, but with some power underneath giving it character. Unfortunately, some part of the blend -- honey? -- turned it to that dead flowers, old-vase-water scent I occasionally get when some blends meet my skin. It's like Woody Allen's line about going from mellow to "ripen and then rot." :P Skin chemistry is a mysterious thing!

Good Lord. This one hit me right in the hormones. And that's an okay thing.

Jezebel is possibly the sexiest thing I have ever smelled, and I really don't know why. It's got a feral quality...almost like O... I can't put my finger on what ingredient might be attributed to this, but it can't be honey, can it? Snake Oil never effected me this way. Also, Jezebel's got a fruity quality that's not unlike Hunger...but Hunger doesn't make me want to roll around like a kitten in catnip.

O Jezebel, how you taunt me! Please never stop...

My heavens, I wish my boy was around tonight. :P :D

Dark, heavy, incensey. A bit medicinal. Sour.

There's also the scent that a couple of other people have picked up which is vaguely band-aid-ish, like when you've left a band-aid on your skin for days and days and FINALLY peel it off. The way your skin smells then.

Ravenous did the same thing to me, and Vixen was another no-go. (Dammit, I will find my perfect sexy citrus some day.) I wonder if orange blossom is what does that on me? Damn.

Anyways. Swap pile for toi, Jezzie.

I *love* the throw this one has on me!!! Pure sweet honey-orange incense if that makes any sense at all! It also helos that my best friend's cat's name is Jezebel, so I think it makes me like it even more. It gets a bit musty on me though after a bit, and I feel like I have to reapply often to get the sweet smell of it that I love. Not a big bottle purchase, but I will enjoy my imp of it!

jezebel.jpg

2 Kings, chapter 9

1: And Elisha the prophet called one of the children of the prophets, and said unto him, Gird up thy loins, and take this box of oil in thine hand, and go to Ramoth-gilead:

2: And when thou comest thither, look out there Jehu the son of Jehoshaphat the son of Nimshi, and go in, and make him arise up from among his brethren, and carry him to an inner chamber;

3: Then take the box of oil, and pour it on his head, and say, Thus saith the LORD, I have anointed thee king over Israel. Then open the door, and flee, and tarry not.

Just thought this was appropriate for a perfume oil review of Jezebel. I like the part about "flee, and tarry not." Always sound advice.

Anyway, Jezebel is exactly as advertised. Very "pussy" smelling but there is no civet, jasmine listed here. I do smell oranges, skin, and it turns kind of a "bar on Sunday morning" (which is hard to describe in other terms), in some ways it's comforting and makes you feel like you have a whopping great hangover of Biblical proportions at the same time.

Great piece of performance art, if you just can't get enough Southern Saturday night action, this is the blend for you. Give Jezebel a try if you like: Juke Joint, Roadhouse, Jailbait or the hard-bitten woman ideas of scent. Also if you secretly like civet, take Jezebel out for a spin of a different sort. You might find you have a winner on your hands.

Edited by olympia301

I remember trying this one awhile ago and not liking it, but now I'm enjoying it. That's why it's so good to revisit scents you weren't crazy about. It's quite sweet on me, really womanly and feminine at first, but it softened into a rosey, honeyed powdery scent. Very soft and pretty, rather innocent in spite of its name. I'm glad I tried it again.

Whoa la, with the floral!

First few sniffs and I was already consigning this to the swap pile - cloyingly sweet and chokingly rosy. But I restrained myself and was rewarded for my patience with an orange-glazed, honeyed rose. It smells like some exotic dessert, the sweetness tempered by the sandalwood.

It's one of those beautiful scents that makes me admire Beth's skill, but that just isn't 'me'. Maybe I'll hold on to it for a little while anyway, since I've found that my taste is still evolving. Or else I might use it as an anointing oil in ritual, since it definately has the right associations for a certain goddess of Mesopotamian origin.

EDIT: I got another shot at this one with a frimp from the Lab and it's much nicer fresh - heavier on the honey and the sandalwood. In fact, I barely get any rose from this. Very lovely.

Edited by maewitch

Bottle: Honey and Orange Blossom. Yum.

Wet: Honey and orange blossom (but strong on the orange, rather than floral) there is a hint of rose (hope it doesn't amp).

Drying: The honey is getting lost in the quickly amping rose, and its getting a little rose-soapy. There are still hints of honey and orange, but they are much weaker than the rose. Luckily, the honey comes back a bit further into drydown. The honey note is much like the one in O, which is a great thing. Its stays at a very rosy honey for quite a while. Think O with the rose substituted for the vanilla note. If I liked rose, I'd love this.. At the very end of a long sniff, I get a bit of sandalwood.

Very late into the drydown (3 hr +): Still pumping, great lasting power on me. The rose has even mellowed and is no longer soapy powder. It’s a soft rose dripping with the honey note from O and just a touch of sandalwood. Very lovely. A rose I can stand. Impressive!

Overall: For a floral, I actually like this one, but only after it mellows. Very surprising, especially since rose usually pumps out like crazy and annoys me. I think someone who likes rose and O would really love this, since its their love child (on my skin, at least). While the orange blossom was strong in the vial and wet, it's not around on my skin after the drydown. This was pretty, but it took too long to mellow into the rose tinged O smell that I liked best. I might as well just wear O. Still, kudos to the lab for creating a rose I actually liked!

I'm feeling very much like the odd duck here, but I have to state this once and for all:

I LOVE BABY POWDER SCENTS.

Yes, I am ashamed to admit this since they seem like the bane of this board, but I love love love love them all and really have a hard time understanding why they are so hated here.

I am thinking that many people have had Bad Baby Powder Incidents, and that those have led them to despise the stuff. Perhaps they were powdered too much as babies, or not enough, or in the wrong places, or...?

Me, I think this one is a dead ringer for the very popular Keiko Mecheri KM Loukhoum, which is all baby powder, honey and roses. It's also roughly a million dollars for a bottle. Okay, maybe not a million. Maybe 80.00. But still, you get a very similar thing with Jezebel for much less.

The funny thing about this scent is that I normally don't like Beth's rose scents at all, but I like this one. Oh, yes indeedy, I do.

In the bottle:

sweet, honey like

On me:

I would say about 40% of rose notes go straight to powder on me. Sadly, this is among the 40%. However, usually when that happens, all I can smell is the powder scent, and none of the other notes. That isn't the case with this. Though it's still predominantly a powder scent on me, I definitely smell the honey (making this a sweet powder scent on my skin) and a tiny touch of the neroli. It kind of makes me think of what people traditionally term "old lady perfume" - it's got that strong powdery note with too much sweetness.

Final notes:

I wish I could say more about this, but the rose note turned this into powder and almost nothing but.

I am thinking that many people have had Bad Baby Powder Incidents, and that those have led them to despise the stuff. Perhaps they were powdered too much as babies, or not enough, or in the wrong places, or...?

To reply to this comment as well, for any one who might wonder why "powder" scents seem to be loathed around here - it's because typically, these aren't *supposed* to smell like powder. They typically only smell like powder because of a funky body chemistry reaction. Many people here have talked about what they got out of the scent that doesn't include the dreaded "powder" note - that's what the scent was intended to be. The only perfume that I know of that is supposed to smell like powder on purpose, is Love's Baby Soft :P

This was supposed to smell like roses, honey, neroli, and sandalwood. If we got powder, we were unhappy with it for that very reason :D

Edited by Brianne

i like jezabel, i don't love it, but i do like it enough to wear once in awhile, and i also like baby powder. :P

Edited by carolsag

Huh... a scent that has both honey and roses that actually works with my chemistry? Who knew? I really wanted to like Jezebel, for the name alone, and luckily I do.

On me, Jezebel is a honeyed floral - but not at all rosey (which is a good thing, for me). Unlike some honey blends that go sticky-sweet and cloying, this one goes dry and powdery. I know that a lot of folks don't like powdery scents, but I kinda do, if it's the *right* kind of powder. This is very much a skin scent on me - very subtle, yet sexy. Makes me feel all lazy and decadent! :P