Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Jezebel

Biblical witch, priestess of Astarte, and general troublemaker. A true role model for today’s upwardly mobile Modern Woman. A gloriously decadent blend of honey, roses, orange blossom and sandalwood.

Soooo... it's been forever since my last order, and even more since my last review of a unknown scent.

In the imp:
Sweet orange candy

Wet:
It smells orangey, probably thanks to the orange blossom and roses, the honey gives this a very sweet but not candy-like vibe.
Now the orange blossom is coming forth and becoming agressive, this doesn't smell orangey anymore, because it's straight forward orange blossom.
But it's not a tart orange blossom like in Lolita. This is a softer, soapier orange blossom.
The sort you get in quality single-note shampoos or shower gels.
With the right summer dress, a sunny weather and a cheerful mood, this can go wonderfully well.
It wobbles from soapy to sweet, without actually choosing a side. Wonder which side shall eventually win.
Oh, here comes the rose. It's like a climbing rose, that has nestled in a huge orange tree in bloom. You can guess it's there, but it's scent isn't overly present.
If I sniff from very close, I can smell the honey. If I smell from farther away, it's all rose and orange blossom, at this stage.

Dry:
It becomes a bit, bitter without stopping from being sweet.
The soapiness has lost the battle to the sweetness, but this last one has been severely injured, making it pour a bitter, honeyed blood.

Overall:
I like it, even if it's strong and present.
Orange blossom perfumes tend to do that on me. The honey note will probably make this one last forever on my skin...
so not something to apply on a day, I don't feel confident I want it on me...

Frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: Mostly honey and rose. Loved it immediately and wondered how it escaped my attention for so long.

On my skin: This is where it gets tricky. I tested this a day or two ago and found that it's the same rose from Two, Five & Seven and Eve - when it's fantastic, it's fantastic, but sometimes it'll go unreasonably musty/sour/wilted on my skin. It really, really depends on the day, or where I'm at in my cycle, or what the weather is - it's that picky. So the first time testing it didn't go well, but I'm trying it out again right now and it's much smoother. There's still a slight sourness from the rose, but there's also a gorgeous tartness from the orange blossom and honey.

At the right time, this would probably be like Eve - very sophisticated and womanly. I'll keep this around to test again every so often, but man, it makes me wish I had a scent locket.

Frimp!

I don't wear many floral-centric scents, but that doesn't deter me from experimenting.

On my testing arm, this is a sweet, youthful rose, like a tea rose. The honey and rose merge, and the orange blossom has a wonderful sweetness that doesn't become cloying.

It reminds me of my childhood -- it seems like the sort of scent that might be given as a first perfume.

Unfortunately, over time this turned into the exact smell of baby powder, with remarkable endurance.

This has been my signature scent for about four years now, and I'm only just reviewing now. Jezebel is one of those perfumes that surprised me. Out of the bottle, it was very, very sweet, with a low note of something aggressive. On my skin, it's all honey and orange blossom, with a thread of sultry rose running through it. It's very decadent, very lush, and extremely sexy. The lasting power is amazing as well -- this one will take me from morning to night, and still be clinging to my skin. Jezebel is not a polite perfume. It demands attention, and a little goes a long way. But it's such a marvellous experience that it's worth it. Sweet, lush, sexy, a little powdery, and definitely the scent of a bad girl who is looking for a good time, but only on her terms.

So, knowing that my skin amps sweetness to a nauseating degree (probably why "masculine" blends like Dee smell amazing on me), and that I can't stand O, why did I let this sucker me into trying it?

Because it smelled gorgeous in the vial and I like to pretend I can be girly. But then I slathered it on and was almost suffocated by OMFG HONEY, followed by sickly sweet orange blossom honey powder with a throw for ages.

No thank you.

In the imp: Rose, orange blossom & sandalwood, all drenched in honey! A very rich, smell - heady & indulgent.

Wet on skin: As is typical, my skin has eaten the roses! It's much less intense without them & is rather strange. The sandalwood is the dominant note now, but it's been drizzled with honey & rolled in orange blossom.

Dry on skin: The orange blossom has taken over as the main note now & wow! This is light & springtimey, but also solid & sexy in a sweet, flirtatious way.

After a few hours: This is almost smelling like potpourri now, but not overpoweringly so. The sandalwood is making up the bulk of this scent again, followed by the orange blossom & a tiny bit of honey.

Verdict: Not something I'd wear every day, but still a very pretty scent I can see myself wearing!

Ordinarily if it has honey in it it works great for me, bpals honey is practically a fixative scent with my chemistry, great throw, lasts forever. However, I think adding the orange blossom (which has been pleasant enough in other scents) turns this into a cloying over scented baby products extravaganza, which is a shame because I think the rose and honey and sandlewood would be delightful, but the honey and orange just turn the whole thing into a stinky cage match on me. I wound up with a bottle of this as part of a group sale, I may try it in a burner, but most likely will wind up in a trade pile.

Wow, either my nose is totally off or I got a different batch, because my experience is not matching other comments. I bought a blind bottle because all the notes were winners, First 30 minutes, all I smell are roses, not tea rose or buds or fresh cut or rose with greenery, but full blossomed roses that are just about past their prime. Not unpleasant or necessarily strong, but very THERE. Well past dry down, the honey and orange blossom make their appearance, beautiful and very close to skin, with the roses receding. I get no sandalwood at all. A very pretty scent, light and fresh (after the roses exit a bit!) I get no baby powder, nothing cloying or over-sweet. Hard to take my nose away from my arm! I might layer this over sandalwood oil, because I want that in this scent!

I get primarily the slightly spiced dryness of sandalwood, tinged with orange. The honey turns powdery, as it is wont to do on me. This smells SO familiar to me, but I can't place it! Pretty and pleasant, but not something I would reach for.

Wet: Some combination of notes reads as cocoa very briefly, before the honey note blooms.

Dry: This is beautiful. My favourite honey blend I have tried so far. Sandalwood makes everything better. The rose and orange blossom are very understated, but they definitely add to the blend. If this has any kind of staying power I may need a bottle.

in the imp: bright orange blossom and dewy roses

wet: red roses bloom into a gorgeous bouquet, spiced up by orange blossom, I'm not getting much sandalwood – I suspect it's grounding everything and keeping the scent from getting too floral and cloying though; no honey, which is a surprise since I usually amp the Lab's honey like whoa

dry: ah, now the honey really moves forward, though it's held in check by the roses; the sandalwood still tempers everything from the background and keeps the scent warm and skin-close; I lose a lot of the orange blossom on drydown, alas

Final drydown on me is honeyed roses – a very nice, not overly heady floral; definitely considering a big bottle of this!

So I did a little comparison test with Jezebel on one arm and Osun on the other since they are both honey rose scents to me.

They are very similar scents on me and both are lovely. For me, Osun has a slight edge because the honey combined with the sweetness of the orange blossoms takes Jezebel into baby powder territory during the dry down, while Osun retains a bit more brightness during this stage. I do really love Jezebel in its later stages, however, when the sandalwood emerges a little more strongly to temper the honey and florals.

But while I think my imp will do just fine, particularly after going head-to-head in a death match with my lovely love goddess, Jezebel is a beautiful choice for those who like very feminine honey florals.

Edited by joopjoop

The orange blossom and honey is what I get right away from this one. The rose stays very close, and I wish it threw a bit more - the throw is mostly orange blossom honey. The sandalwood is holding back, but I imagine it will come out as it dries down more. Interesting enough to retest and wear all day.

Yummy to the Nth degree. The honey note is similar to the one in O. Orange blossom is bright, but not as citrus-y as some BPAL orange blossoms. The Rose is bright, too, reminding me of the fresh Rose note in Cherokee Rose single-note (not a stately red rose type.) The sandalwood is subtle, and stays in the background. The whole is a very sweet, honeyed floral. My kind of scent .

This is all sticky, golden orange blossom in the imp. Quite enticing. Unfortunately, this goes very sickly sweet baby powder on my skin almost immediately. Honey has done this in several blends I've tried, though oddly, honey is also a note in some of my favorite blends. The rose too is being troublesome and lending a slight sourness to the background. Definitely not for my chemistry, though I envy others who could wear this.

Very fitting for Jezebel. All seductive decadence that comes to a wretched ending. :-(

Wet: yes orange.

Drydown: rose, oranges, honey. Kind of weird...cant decide if Im loving it...

Once its dry it enters a stage that isnt working for me - sour sharp green rose. I wish the honey sweetness would come back. It fades to a pleasant honey-powder, but it kind of resembles something like rose toner for the duration.

Edited by maudlinrose

On the wand, Jezebel smells mostly like honeysuckle to me, but I guess it’s honey and flowers.

On my skin, honey still dominates, but now it mingles with roses and orange blossoms. The neroli turns partly into orange lollipops on my skin, but not as much as it has at other times. This is a nice balance of the three notes, but their natures make it quite sweet.

Dried, the orange blossom stamps out the other notes and goes full-bore orange lollipop. This is its usual behavior on my skin.

This doesn’t work on me.

In the imp: Heady orange blossom and honey, rose, and finally, the sandalwood.

Wet: Heady honey and orange blossom are the dominant notes, but I can smell more of the rose and sandalwood on my skin than I did in the imp. The sandalwood note ends up gaining strength as it sits on my skin.

Dry: Predominantly heady honey and sandalwood, followed by the orange blossom and rose.

Verdict: Too much orange blossom for me to handle, but I thought it was better on me than it was in the imp!

in the imp, my first impression was "oooh O!" it must be the honey note. on my skin, the orange blossom is strong. it's O mixed with orange, and the sandalwood keeps it balanced between the two. very pretty and sexy if you like orange blossom.

Got this as a frimp when I was still in my must-test-everything phase.. Probably wouldn't bother these days; honey is pretty much always awful on me, and the whole thing is rather feminine & floral for my taste.

In the imp, it's sweeeeeet! & a little powdery. Wet on me, it's just almost-overpowering sweetness, can't even make out what note is what. As it settles down I actually start to like it, even though it's still far sweeter & girlier than I would usually go for. The orange blossom is strong, and rather lovely, & I think I would actually consider wearing it if it weren't for the honey.. Which reliably starts going powdery & gross on the dry-down.
An hour or so later, the orange blossom is gone, & the rose comes out a lot more. The remaining background powdery-sweetness reads as amber to me. So, rose-amber.. But still with a slightly icky tinge from the honey, which never smells like honey on me.

This is nice if these notes play well on you, & you like sweet, girly florals. Can't see me wearing it personally.

Age Unknown: Date: November 2016

In the vial: beautifully sweet. Since I opened the package, there was a sweet scent mixing with camphor. This is the sweet scent. At first, I smell sweet oranges, and then red rose. I can't recognize the sandalwood here.

Wet on Skin: I get a lot of honey and rose and orange blossom. No bitterness other than the heavy rose. At first this one make me sneeze. This one smells like perfume. The scent is bold at first then mellow. It almost disappears in my nose.

Dry 30+ mins: Everything blends. The scent has reappeared, but if I breathe it in enough it disappears. All the scents mix together. This is sexy and smooth. If I close my eyes, I can smell sandalwood. This scent is everything I wanted Catherine to be.

Worn 3+ hours: Wow! This one has a lot of throw! It's almost overpowering. (the honey notes tend to do that to me) The sandalwood is fading out and the honey and rose is coming out. This is a very syrupy effect to the scent. This is very heady and sensual. To me, this is not an everyday scent. I have to be in a sensual, seductive mood for this one.

I dont get any rose out of this, but that's fine, because it's a beautiful orange blossom/sandalwood. 

Its sweet, almost gourmand but not quite, and ever so slightly powdery.  This one is also nice and strong!

In the imp: Predominantly honey and orange blossom. 

On my skin:

Wet, honey and rose dominate. It's very, very sweet, with an almost bubble-gum quality. As it dries, it goes through a powdery phase -- which on me could be rose, honey, or both -- before the sandalwood starts to emerge. The sandalwood grounds the scent and cuts its sweetness, keeping it from being cloying. 

Sadly, about thirty minutes after application, the powder combination has made a resurgence, blocking out sandalwood and orange blossom entirely. Thirty minutes after that, however, it settles down to be a honey-backed rose on me, grounded by a touch of sandalwood. It's back to being very sweet. 

This is very sweet and very strong on me. It might work as a very hot summertime scent if I apply it very, very sparingly.