Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Jezebel

Biblical witch, priestess of Astarte, and general troublemaker. A true role model for today’s upwardly mobile Modern Woman. A gloriously decadent blend of honey, roses, orange blossom and sandalwood.

in the bottle it smelled like dusty books and creamsicle. Then on my skin it came really alive and vibrant for 20 minutes to half an hour. Intoxicating. Maybe that was the honey that kept things together so nicely? It reminded me of a bouquet of a bouquet of flowers in a dusty bookstore. Roses and Dust. Not unpleasant but curious... but when the honey element dried out it was powdery dried out old flowers and dank musty books. I loved it AND hated it. I would love to visit a place that smells like that but I would hate to smell like that. Oh well.. Edited by Shollin

oh!! my gods this is sexy!!

Its a creamy orange blossom, but so much more... it just oozes sensuality.

It has a ton of throw, and lasted all night.

(wore this last night and well... hubby attacked! hehe)

In the imp, I got honey, orange blossom and just a hint of sandalwood from Jezebel. Unfortunately, as soon as I put it on, I got baby powder.

The baby powder does fade quickly - and once I got over my "ugh - baby powder!" response, I noticed that it wasn't the awful generic baby powder that I was used to - it had a fresh, floral-y component to it.

In the early drydown, the honey and the sandalwood start to come out, but the powder doesn't fade completely - not yet.

As it dries more and more, more orange blossom comes out. After a few hours, this smells like sweet cream with hints of orange blossom and sandalwood - it's delectable. This the smell of pure luxury.

This had incredible staying powder - at least 12 hours. The throw was great at the beginning, not so much later on.

I loved the later stages, but I'm not sure about the powder - it's enough to keep this out of my "must buy 5 mL" for now - I'll have to try it some more, and try some scents with similar notes to try to replicate it. I'll also try it in my hair - maybe the chemistry won't change it as much.

Beautiful, beautiful oil with fantastic throw and wear length! It has a hint of rose, but is mostly a wave of luscious, golden honey dripping over orange blossoms. Droooool.

Oh yay. When I first put this on yesterday, it was a battle on my skin between the rose and the orange blossom. Eventually rose won and I had to wash it off, because me + old-lady rose = headache. And there is definitely an older lady element to this blend, but luckily I put it on more sparingly today after letting it sit for the night and it's much more together with itself. The rose and orange blossom are melding nicely to create a very fresh, unique rose scent, and the sandalwood's making it just a touch dry and powdery. The honey is nowhere to be seen, unfortunately, but this will be nice for an elegant, grown-up evening out. it's not the Sexy McSexers scent that I'd hoped for, but it's nice. 3/5 stars.

Edit: September 3rd: I let this hang out since writing this review and just put some on and it is *fantastic*. It's sophisticated, is what it is. The honey has come out and combines really, really beautifully with the rose and orange, and the sandalwood creates this sort of dry backdrop to all that juiciness. So glad I hung onto this!

Edit again: February 23rd, next year: this has become one of my favorites. It's become that sexy yet understated scent I wanted it to be. It hovers in a cloud of candy sweetness from the orange and honey, backed up by the rose. This is gorgeous.

Edited by Banyangirl

I didn't have high hopes for Jezebel. I amp rose in the most unpleasant way possible, and orange blossom is often musty smelling on me. But I'm a sucker for honey and sandalwood, and I can sometimes wear very sweet or very resinous rose blends (e.g., I like Alice and The Blasphemare Reliquary). So I cross my fingers and hope that Jezebel will be a rose blend that loves me back.

But Jezebel is not that blend; she's a heartbreaker. Immediately on, she's a soft sweet rose. Very similar to Alice (but rosier than Alice) and in the same family but more distantly related to Maiden (much sweeter than Maiden). As the blend dries, the rose begins to amp, taking on that sharp, ammonia-like quality that it typically develops on my skin. Oh rose, why must you hate me so?

A few hours later, the rose is being suffocated into submission by what I can only assume is the sandalwood... but I think there's either some undisclosed vanilla or some undisclosed balsam of Peru in here, because it's going super-powdery, amping insanely, and I appear to be somewhat allergic to it.

I feel like someone dumped a metric ton of baby powder on me, and that it's coating the inside of my nostrils and lining my mouth and blearing my eyesight as I try to claw my way out of the mountain of powdery doom. Ugh. I'm going to have to wash this off and chalk it up to a serious skin chemistry failing.

This is an absolutely gorgeous scent! It’s sweet and energetic, bright yet seductive. The orange blossom and rose meld beautifully; the sandalwood gives it an edge that keeps it sophisticated and out of candy territory with all that orange blossom and honey. I loved this so much I bought a bottle… in spite of the fact that the dry-down swerves suddenly and violently into baby powder territory. I have never had this happen before; my skin chemistry is very, very forgiving. I put Jezebel into a scent locket… and was disappointed/relieved to find it morphed into a powdery cloud eventually there, too. And on a piece of acid free paper. And in my hair. I guess that's just it's thang, take it or leave it!

I love Jezebel wet stage *so* much, I’ll put up with reapplying in order to prevent powder attack, I admit I am nervous about wearing it out and possibly smelling strongly of spicy baby powder, which would be somehow embarrassing. But daaaayum when this is wet :drools:

In the imp: Puuurrre honey. Very sweet with a lot of beeswax.

Wet: A very waxy honey paired with the sweet scent of orange blossom. I'm not smelling any rose or sandalwood.

Dry: Dry, this remains the same on me. I never got any rose or sandalwood. This remains a sweet, waxy honey with a beautiful orange blossom note.

Overall: This is pretty, but a bit too waxy for my tastes. :)

I'm not normally one for roses, but BPAL has proved me very wrong in a number of scents I thought I would love / hate, so I swiped on a few stripes of this lovely pinkish oil from the frimp the Lab included in my very first order!

First: ORANGE. Yum. I love the orange blossom. But there's some honey lurking in there--the same honey that made Hand of Glory totally unwearable for me. Ick. I hope I don't get the headache I got from that.

After about five minutes, the orange blossom dissipates and a green, blooming rosebush comes out to play. The sandalwood is definitely in there, giving it a more sensual, deeper note, but the grassy rose scent is really very pleasant all on its own. Honey is way back behind the sandalwood, keeping it from being too dry. Sweet, but not overwhelming or nauseating.

At fifteen minutes, the grassiness of the rose has died down into simple, blooming rose, mingling with equally-strong sandalwood. It smells like my favorite Indian grocery store back home--this is bringing up a lot of lovely memories. Where's my samosas when I need them? The honey is still lurking around back there but I don't think it's going to rear its ugly head--or, if it does rear its head, it probably won't do it in an ugly way. I keep thinking I smell a whiff of the honey sweetness, but when I go in to get closer to my wrist, it's all dry, perhaps even smoky rose incense and sandalwood fans. The smokiness just might be my scent memory talking instead of Jezebel herself, though.

At a half hour, a sharper, greener, pointier rose is back! It seems to come and go, though--perhaps it's gotten into my sweater and I'm smelling the fresher oil that's seeped into there, because whenever I sniff my wrist itself it's all spicy sandalwood and dried rose--almost tea rose, I want to say?

Verdict: The beginning is so lovely, but the lovely green-ness is nommed away by my skin, leaving super-dry sandalwood & dried roses. While I think I'll probably use this imp when the mood strikes me, I don't feel that the mood will strike me particularly often

In the vial, it smells like fruit tea and bubblegum. :-) Colorwise, it's PINK!!! Pink pink pink. Bubblegum pink. Some people say it smells like baby powder, but I think that's the rose note. BPAL's light rose notes tend to smell like powder, but aren't overpowering.

Wet on my skin, it's all tropical fruit bubblegum. Wow. Extremely sweet and very 'pink'.

10-15 minute dry-down - Honey. Mmm... it smells like orange blossom honey and pink roses. It's a very *girly* scent. I like it. It's not something I'd wear very often but it's nice.

1 hour dry-down - Very powdery. Honey and roses and sandalwood make baby powder, apparently. Not unpleasant, though.

2 hour dry-down - Ok, that's a little much on the roses for me. This is a once in a great while scent.

In the imp, this is a really sweet blend of honey, orange blossom, and rose. On my skin, it's those three scents mixing, and it's a really sweet sort of blend. I don't think it's anything I need a bottle of, but it'll be nice to have here and there.

Date first tried: 11/14/2009

In the imp: Citrus with cooking spices. Maybe clove?

At application: Sweet, juicy oranges, with spices and a ... green tone to it

When dry: Still a faint citrus scent, mostly incense spicy/herbal green

Rating: 3 - get another imp when this one is gone

My comments: I was never able to pick out the honey or rose, although I suspect their added sweetness was what made me think of fresh oranges rather than orange blossom.

Comments from others: My husband likes this one but doesn't love it, and he thinks I should get more scents that are similar to it.

Weird, I like all the notes and have never had a problem with them before but for some reason Jezebel is Kool-Aid and baby powder on me. YUCK.

In the imp, Jezebel is honey and fruit. Smells so delicious and sweet. Once it gets on my skin, I think it's the sandalwood that comes out. and then...baby powder. Forever baby powder.

The good news (or bad news for me since I don't like baby powder) is that it lasts a long time. I smelled it for the entire night and when I woke up in the morning.

Jezebel reminds me of a Lush scent. It is probably the honey plus orange blossom combination, since Lush uses neroli in half their products these days, lol. This honey is very thick and creamy, and the orange blossom balances perfectly with it, not too strong but still very present. The sandalwood does show up when it's dry, but not enough to smack me in the face or anything, just enough to ground it a little.

I like it a lot; I'll have to wear it a few more times to see if it's bottle-worthy, but it's just as good as I thought it might be based on the notes.

If you like Lush, you'll probably dig this blend. (Unless you are SO OVER neroli. :P )

eta: Oops, I spoke too soon. An hour and a half after application, the orange blossom has totally vanished, making this close to a 100% all-honey scent. I have many, many other options for that, so I guess it's not a bottle purchase, after all.

Edited by karen

Smells like..sweet tarts and flowers. No idea why.

Smelled like heady rose, and sweet fruits on me. I like it, but the rose was a little over powering in this one. Orange blossom surfaced once it dried fully.

Locket might tame the rose.

I can definitely smell the honey. Nice and sweet! If I smell closely, I get loads of rose. I thought this would have been my kind of scent, but the rose in this blend gives me quite a headache. Ah, well...

This started out a little fruity and I wondered how it could possibly be a scent fit for Jezebel. Very quickly, though, it turned into something similar to O, very sexy in a subtle way.

Wet, this is a honey citrus. As it dries, more of the rose comes out, but it is basically a citrussy, honeyed rose. Kind of suprised, as it doesn't really smell like orange blossom to me, per se, just a juicy orange. Quite nice, and I'll certainly enjoy the imp while it lasts. So far, the rose isn't turning powdery or sour on me, which is nice. I like surprises!! Oh, I know what it reminds me of! Fans of Lush's Amondopondo would most likely love this. It's pretty much a dead ringer to me.

OMG.. this scent begs the phrase "Who.. me? Why I would never!" in that kind of deceptively evil coyness we've all seen from female troublemakers of the romantic kind.

Comes off a bit more powdery than sweet syrupy honey. I think the orange blossom/rose combo is pouffing this up a bit. reminds me of olden days women's perfume with a modern sweet twist. The powder burned off slightly however the rose is still throwing what would be a perfect combination for me. If I wanted to corrupt the butcher or milkman or even the mayor, in the 1950's-60's, this surely would have been my signature scent.

Edited by SophieCedar

Jezebel

On wet: this is pure honey and orange blossom. Unfortunately, the two combine to make this smell of syrupy-sweet orange dreamsicle, something I particularly do not care for.

Dry: For the first 10-20 minutes or so after drydown, the orange blossom tends to dominate, surprising as honey usually dominates on my skin. The rose swells up and blossoms behind it, along with the honey in the background. I can't detect any sandalwood at all. Afterwards, this fades to a pleasant honey with orange blossom lingering around it.

Overall: I love the smell of real orange blossoms, but unfortunately the orange blossom in this perfume does not live up to that. Even so, the other notes would have made this wonderful if the orange blossom had just sort of hung around in the background instead of muscling everything else out, especially if the rose had piped up more. Therefore, orange blossom lovers should give this a shot. As for me, I'll keep the imp around to see how it ages, as I absolutely LOVE the name.

In bottle: Strong honey and sandalwood.

Wet: The honey calms down and the rose begins to bloom.

Dry: A strong floral embedded in a harsh honey, it’s appears my chemistry is doing off things to the honey…

Notes: Not really a good blend for me sadly, but I can see it appealing to those who amp the citrus more then I did or who like rose (as well as honey!)

Initially this is a real blast of strong, sweet citrus on me. After a few moments a strange (and not very pleasant) note comes through that I can't identify before the scent settles and the honey/rose comes out.

It's a lovely fragrance but not unique enough for me to *need* a big bottle.

I really like this! The sweetness of the honey/rose/orange blossom are tempered by the sandalwood and the overall result is really lovely. My imp does look aged, so I'm not sure what it smells like fresh, but this is delicious. I just wish it lasted a bit longer! It lasts maybe an hour or two.

Edit: Even though most of it faded, I am still getting honey-rose whiffs the next morning! This is one of my favorite combinations (I love it in Alice too).

Review Update (6/17/12): I received an aged partial bottle of this in a swap (not sure of the exact age, but it has the old style label.) And it smells REALLY good. Rose, sweet orange... it almost smells almondy as well. I had totally forgotten about this blend, and I think my imp even ended up in the swap box, but I am glad I was reminded of it, because this aged one is awesome. :o

Edited by sunlitgarden