Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
StormtrooperPrincess

Bravery, Courage, Confidence, Intimidation, Power

Yup, it's a Yule scent. I was going to second War (the GC one), but since you're going for fresh scents, I'll second Szepasszony.

Snow White is limited, but currently available as part of the Yule update. Not so sure, if it would be fitting for your mother, though. It strikes me as more of a soft, snuggly one.

@Ahania: Hey, you beat me by two minutes! :lol: :wave:

Edited by blu°

Yeah, Snow White is awfully soft and pretty, I think-- and I will attest to the fact that it can easily smell less like snow and more like coconut and suntan lotion on your skin. But there are some other icy, cold Yules right now-- Perchta and Frau Holle are some kickass women, although I think Frau Holle smells like vaporub <_<

erm.. vapour rub... maybe not the right thing. The only problems with the limited editions is... she'd have to buy a full bottle unsniffed... she was hoping for an Imp's ear of something in case it ends up not being right... :/

The Conjure Bag/Voodoo oils are available as imps (they're at the bottom of the Bewitching Brews section on the BPAL site), but the Twilight Alchemy Lab oils are not.

For general catalogue scents that available as individual imps from the Lab that are also icy and fresh, maybe consider:

Tempest
(Bewitching Brews) - A crisp ozone-tinged breeze. The scent of the first gentle rain before the storm.

Szepasszony
(Diabolus) - The Fair Lady, Winter Witch, White Maiden of the Storm. Szepasszony is a Hungarian demoness that appears as a stunningly beautiful woman with long, silver-white hair and a blinding white dress. She revels in storms, particularly when hail rains down on her. Water dripping down eaves into a puddle is an invitation for her to cause mischief: she uses the puddle as a magickal tool for casting her wicked spells. It is considered foolhardy to step into a circle of short grass ringed by taller grasses, as those mark the circles where the Fair Lady dances. A chilly, tempestuous whirlwind of clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers.

Oya
(Excolo) - Lady of the Wind, Goddess of the Nine Skirts, the Lady of War, the Bearded Amazon, the Thundermaiden. Beautiful, tempestuous, elegant and graceful, She is the fury of the hurricane, the breath in our lungs, the air that cools us, the breeze that chills us, the winds that blow seeds that fertilize the land, the winds that pass disease throughout villages and townships, the moan of the wind within the cemetery, and the fury of the tempest that tears the landscape asunder. Oya is the sweeping wind of change and upheaval, She is revolution and progress, and She forces the destruction of old ideals while sweeping away our useless baggage; the broom is a symbol of Her force for change. As the Mistress that commands hurricanes, cyclones, and tornados, she tears down that which is old and decaying, compelling Her children to begin building anew. In Her hands She holds a mask, as Her presence is most often felt and not seen, and none have seen Oya’s true face. She is the moment at which the seasons change, the transition from life to death, and as the Lady of the Cemetery, it is to Her that we commit our final breath. Her closest friend is Iku, the Orisha of Death, and it is their responsibility to see to it that the natural order remains undisturbed. Once a man’s final breath is expelled, Oya takes it to Iku, who brings the spirit to the cemetery gates and then to its next passage. One of her symbols is the bed, as nightly we imitate death in sleep. Because of her close relationship with Death, the Goddess is very close to the Egungun, the spirits of our ancestors. Oya is the Goddess of the Marketplace in which fortunes and goods spin in a never-ending whirlwind of exchange, change, and flux. She is the wind that precedes the thunderstorm, and it is in this that She is seen as Shango’s companion and partner in battle, and without Oya, there is little that Shango can accomplish. She fans the fires of Shango’s blazes, and is the forked lightning that touches the treetops. Proud and willful, Oya is also a Goddess of War. Her wrath is so terrible and so devastating that none may behold her rage and survive. Oya has nine children and nine colors, and her symbols are weathervanes, windmills, kites, balloons, propeller planes, wind instruments, pinwheels, two naked swords, and buffalo horns. Oya’s ofrenda is a Nigerian potion of love and war, sweetened by darkest plum. Oya winiwini!

The Lady of Shallot
(Ars Amatoria) - The scent of calm waters just before a raging storm, limned with achingly-beautiful blooms, an icy scent, but somehow warm, and mirror-bright: bold gardenia, crystalline musk, muguet, water blossoms, clear, slightly tart aquatic notes and a crush of white ginger.

Kumari Kandam
(Wanderlust) - The hollow scent of a vast antediluvian civilization, now frozen and buried, smothered by a thick sheet of ice and trapped deep beneath the ocean. Thick incense, clay, stone, and hothouse blooms with a spike of frost, a hint of decay, and heavy, dolorous aquatic note

Ultraviolet
(Bewitching Brews) - Electrifying, mechanized and chilly -- the scent of crushed blooms strewn on cold metal. Lush violet and neroli spiked hard with eucalyptus and a sliver of mint.

Lightning
(Bewitching Brews) - Lightning slashing the midnight skies over the endless reaches of the ocean. The electric tang of ozone, marine notes, and a drop of sharp rain.

The Coil
(Steamworks) - The walls reverberate with a resounding boom as the mechanism is activated, and the boom settles into a hum with a deep, growling buzz. Purple-white and lightning-yellow streamers of electricity cavort over enameled copper wires and through gleaming glass globes; the room is set afire with corona spray, and bare fluorescent bulbs mounted on the walls blaze to life.

Ozone, eucalyptus and mint with purple orchid, passionflower, white ginger, and purple lotus.

Niflheim
(Wanderlust) - The House of Mists, a land of icy fog, shadowy darkness and soul-chilling cold. Dark, damp blossoms winding through an impenetrable, murky gloom.

I'll third Morgause if your mum likes jasmine. It is a great "power" scent to me in that it is striking, but not overwhelming. The fruitiness makes it less floral, but somehow keeps it from being too girly. I suppose to me Morgause is womanly instead.

Another would be The Caterpillar, and there's always Snake Oil, which, to me, is a very powerful scent.

A bit less 'icy' and a bit more earthy are two scents I've found to have a profoundly powerful feel: Hades and Masabakes. Both are General Catalogue, hey!

Hades is a bit more floral, distinctly feminine, but in a way that screams 'matriarch'. I put it in my review ages ago, but it's still an image that I can't shake whenever I wear it: it is the scent of a stately older woman, in a mink-lined coat and rubies, who was born to power and has been wielding it with effortless skill all her life. It's a completely non-sexual dominance.

Masabakes is more resin-woody but sharp, not sweet, and has a 'witch queen' feel. It's powerful in an otherworldly way--vigorous, strong, and experienced. The scent of someone who will make your frivolous life hell if you cross her, in ways that involve roots and earth and probably blood. More gender-neutral than Hades, but the witch queen association is so strong for me that it reads as feminine anyway.

Edited by Uploaded Lobster

wow, these are all really intereresting blends, what do any of you think of Medea in comparison to Masabakes or Ultraviolet?

I'll second Nemesis, definitely. Nemesis, Nephilim, Medea, and Masabakes are all related scents that fit pretty well what you're looking for, but Nemesis is my favourite of the family.

I think Medea is more crone-y, IMHO. More floral.

Ultraviolet is intense, just in your face POW. I love it. But have a backup because on a bad chemistry day it can go a little cat-pee. But you should definitely present it as an option.

Queen is great but it is pretty sexy.

I have bad posture, which is mostly because I get nervous around people and try to avoid them. I'm very shy and kind of antisocial. I'm looking for something that will make me more confident and less nervous around people. I'm not worried about the throw of the scent being too strong because no one seems to notice any of the scents I have been wearing, including snake oil.

I have bad posture, which is mostly because I get nervous around people and try to avoid them. I'm very shy and kind of antisocial. I'm looking for something that will make me more confident and less nervous around people. I'm not worried about the throw of the scent being too strong because no one seems to notice any of the scents I have been wearing, including snake oil.

Try Queen. I love it.

I wear Block Buster for my anxiety-inducing events. I always wear it for job interviews, and I always get the job offer, too.

Good luck! I'm pretty shy myself.

Stop me if this has been done before. I am looking for a scent that essentially is a "don't fuck with me" scent. Something that says I am patient, cold and callus. Something that is authoritative and charismatic. I am looking for something that says "I am an intelligent and powerful woman, screw with me and I will cut your face". I would prefer it if recs came from the general catalog or at least easy to find limited editions. Thanks.

Wicked, The Illustrated Woman or Mme Moriarty. They all work as my "don't mess with me" perfumes.

I find Titania (Illyria) to be a sort of cold, unapproachable scent: "A nocturnal bounty of fae dew-kissed petals and pale fruits: white grape, white peach, iced pear, musk rose, sweet pea, moonflower and snapdragon."

I like to wear some of the more masculine and leathery scents for that 'don't mess with me' feel. I find that when I wear something that smells more traditionally masculine, it tends to throw off men and unsettle the women around me, lol.

*The Bow and Crown of Conquest (Sin and Salvation) - "Nobility and haughtiness befitting the Antichrist: sage, carnation and cedar with lavender, vanilla, white musk and leather."

*Dee (Bewitching Brews) - "His scent is soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods."

And I wear El Dorado (Wanderlust) and The Red Rider (Marchen) when I want something very intense and dark and leaning towards being masculine.

Sin is also pretty intense and intimidating for me, and doesn't smell outright masculine: "Thouroughly corrupted: amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon." (Sin & Salvation)

Sacred Whore of Babylon also always makes me feel powerful (Excolo), as do Liz (Hellboy) and Voodoo (Bewitching Brews). They're strong and complex on my skin.

I second the Bow and Crown of Conquest!

Also, I'd suggest Darkness: Bottled gloom; the essence of oblivion. Blackest opium and narcissus deepened by myrrh.

Sounds like you want a scent that stands up and makes people take notice, not one that makes them lean in too far.

I'm a guy, and go for some of the stronger notes -- not sure if girl chemistry will crave the same things. When I hear a desire for strong, powerful notes, I gravitate for the "feels masculine" blends, which might not be what you actually want.

But I'd suggest Czernobog (myrrh and three musks) for a real statement; and if your skin can handle it, Iago (musk, leather, vetiver).

Anything with vetiver says "don't fuck with me" -- so it's just a question of whether you're one of the (many) people who run screaming from vetiver, or you're one of the people who revels in it.

If you like the vetiver, and want to go full out, you can try Highwayman (vetiver city) or Malediction. If the musk/vetiver goes well on you, there's always Troll.

I think, though, for a woman, besides Czernobog, I'd strongly suggest Djinn. You get the 'smoke of power' note right away, but there are some really ennobling spices that waft up behind it. It's a very heady, powerful scent.

(And you could always go over to Twilight Alchemy Lab and get some "Bend Over" ritual oil, when you want to do more than suggest through scent)

ETA: IMO, Bow and Crown of Conquest is not a "don't fuck with me" scent -- the carnation is strong and it feels very noble. At least to me.

Edited by zmulls

I could be of better help (I've tried over 1000 bpals and love 'warrior woman' type blends) if I had an idea of the type of environment you'd be wearing this.

Is this for work, home, a night out, etc? And what's your styles of dress (goth, earthy, punk, relaxed, austere, dress suits, etc)?

Edited by rawgirl75

Hi! There is a thread that is GREAT for suggestions, depending on what you're looking for. I wonder if I can find it.

Some things depend on the situation. For example, Mme Moriarty I *do* think is a fantastic "Don't f*** with me" scent, with a lot of sexual undertones - like "okay, you can f*** with me, if I let you, and I shall be totally in charge of that." It would not be good for a work environment if that's what you're seeking.

For a work environment, Manhattan and Death & Life Completed both rock pretty hard, in my opinion. I also like Oya.

Let me try to find the other thread...

Voila! http://www.bpal.org/topic/18942-bravery-courage-confidence-intimidation-power/page__p__201548__hl__power%2A__fromsearch__1#entry201548

Hm, I'm not sure that's the thread I was thinking of, so there may be even ANOTHER one out there. Hmmm....

Edited by sqwook

for me it's the minotaur, I am now on the hunt for more of this one!! and the great he goat is amazing, but may be a bit too masculine!

Some things depend on the situation. For example, Mme Moriarty I *do* think is a fantastic "Don't f*** with me" scent, with a lot of sexual undertones - like "okay, you can f*** with me, if I let you, and I shall be totally in charge of that." It would not be good for a work environment if that's what you're seeking.

Mme. Moriarty was the first scent that came to mind for me when I saw this thread, but then I realized that this was more accurate.

Thank you all for your recommendations. As far as the setting, it is work/social. One of the people (female) I work with has been, for lack of better words, harassing me going between direct verbal abuse and passive aggressive tactics. I have been logging each encounter and now am considering going to her supervisor with a formal complaint, or, sitting down and talking with her directly (but I'm not sure if that would work, it hasn’t in the past). I am usually quite about this sort of thing and try not to take things personally but this situation has gone too far and I think I should stand up for myself. I tend to be on more of the reserved side, but when push comes to shove I do have a fiery nature and am capable of kicking some serious ass (thanks Irish ancestors, stereotypes, and debate team!). Again, thank you so much, your recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Sign in to follow this