Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Macha

Blood Moon 2005

Blood Moon

The feral scent of the heat of the chase, deep woods, undulating musks, brushed by forest herbs, crushed grains, and touched by blood-dimmed lunar oils.

I ordered two bottles and now wish I’d ordered more!

In the bottle and on first application: A subtle form of Bengal, playful spicy nips without the fangs (but love those fangs, too!) Not just cinnamon, but very fresh & potent cinnamon bark (sticks or curls.) If there’s dragon blood in this one, I’m glad it doesn’t overpower as is the tendency. Yes, there’s also that latent metallic tang (gee, blood is iron-rich; iron is metal, and there you are!) which lingers for quite awhile. I really like the edge it gives.

After about an hour: A sense of Old Morocco; not a dominant heat but hot-to-warm with a sweetness that pulses in and out of circulating woods laced with spices, smoldering embers, and resins. This is now among my very favorite offerings from The Lab. Thank you so much!

Edited by Shollin

at first: spicy and light.

on: wow. still spicy, but with an oddly blood-like metallic tang to it. very interesting.

half an hour later: still spicy, but sweeter.

2 hours later: this has really changed. it's more of a damp floral, with some dragon's blood. there's a bit of spicyness and that tangy metallic note in the background.

overall: this is nice, but i'm glad i didn't order a bottle. i'll enjoy the decant i got.

First Impression: Baked Cinnamon & Dragon's Blood Pie.

Dries down to: Musk and woody notes add to the mix and the whole starts to blend together. After a few minutes, it settles down into a warm, musky scent. Much later, the sandalwood starts to peek through and this is the stage I like. But then, the sandalwood really amps up and I go off it again. Then, .... this oil never seems to stop morphing.

Additional Comments: This oil is almost dizzying in the way it keeps changing. I liked some stages and hated others - it's probably the most intriguing blend I've tried to date.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 3/5 (on average - some stages were 1 and other, 5)

I haven't written any reviews...well, maybe one...but for this...I had to!

I am so loving this! :P At first I got strong cinnamon...burning slightly...not sure...

Then. Red, bloody incense! Turning into, of all things, whiffs if cinnamon buns...really! :D Then mellowing down int a red mist of spices...I can't explain it really, but it affected me so.

Thanks a million times to the lovely AlaskaSnows @ Lush for such a glorious swap!!! :D

This is a perfect cross between Bengal and Shub-Niggurath! It's the exotic honeyed spice of Bengal with the nutty woodsiness of Shub-Niggurath. It's missing the sweetness of both blends, though, making this a more grounded and less foody scent. I love the oil, but it goes a little too woodsy on my skin. It'll make a divine room scent.

Blood Moon is amazing.

I was worried about this because of the cinnamon. I thought it would overpower everything else. But instead it's just blends and mixes perfectly with the other notes. It's definitely "red", warm, and lunar. Magical.

As it dries I smell a red sandalwood, light incense and woods, and the spices. The scent "tingles" in a good way.

I started with an imp, bought two morei imps. Then a third. Then a bottle. (Can you tell I fell in love with it?)

I give Blood Moon a 5 out of 5 stars.

(Also to note: I generally get red welts from cinnamon, but not Blood Moon).

When opening the bottle, I get a strong rush of cinnamon. Mmm, nose tingling. It smells like cinnamon and frankincense to me.

Wearing it, the cinnamon fades down and becomes part of a tingly, herbal mix. I get a bit of musk. But what it really coming out for me is this strange grain note. It really smells like wheat grains, or hay, with a musky undertone. I'm still getting the woodsy, herbal, spiced background. But there is no sweetness to it on my skin.

Very interesting!

I mourned this. I almost cried with disappointment. It is too sharp. it smells like something sharp and plastic or like burned rubber.

that does die down after applying and drying a bit, and then it is all dry bitter cinnamon. Like I put a spoonful of pure straight powdered cinnamon in my mouth.

no dragon's blood. just burned rubber and chalky choking cinnamon.

oh Blood Moon, my lament. :P

it seems as though I'm one of the only ones that dislike this! sometimes I wonder if I am just getting bad imps!

off to swaps.

I get cinnamon and...........bug spray? Something in this goes all wrong on me. Its so faint I can barely smell it.

*sighs*

Off to the swap pile

Gorgeous and lovely.

Cinnamon red hots initially with a touch of metal out of the bottle.

Dries down to a yummy, warm sexy fire scent on me!

Meh, I thought I was going to love this but it was really horrible on my skin, All I got was this metallic tang and I could smell herbs too. Not really me at all. It lasted forever on my skin though (All the ones I am not keen on always seems to last longer than the ones I love!!).

Blood Moon is just cinnamon on me. If I put my nose on my wrist and sniff hard, I get the metallic tang once in awhile. No grains, no musk really. I've noticed with other blends too that my skin seems to amp cinnamon like there's no tomorrow.

I like it, but probably won't wear it anymore after giving it a couple tries. It's too much cinnamon on me, and ended up burning my skin too. :P It did smell good on my boyfriend, but he's more of a foresty guy. So Blood Moon will be saved to give to a friend who might have better luck with it.

bloodmoon.jpg

Now I know what cassia smells like and it answers a great many of my questions. I think there was a lot of cassia floating around in many of the Chaos Theory II blends. Mine was very cassia heavy and I had no idea of what it was. With the advent of Blood Moon, now I know...

This is a cousin to cinnamon on my skin, warm yet not of this world, Blood Moon gives me a shot of musk like background but it is Cassia and I can't get around that one. I can't get notes of anything else out of here, alas I cannot pick up the sandalwood or cinnamon buns or whatever others declared is in here.

This is a great blend for conjuring up the misty and scary night, though and I am very happy I got to try it out and have fun with it.

In the vial: Cedarwood? It smells like my dad's old workshop, sawdusty.

Wet: Cedarwood and cloves?

Drydown: Something lighter and sweeter comes through, faintly alcoholic, like wine and flowers.

Dry: I can pick out the cinnamon that others note, but I still smell alcohol. This is a very Otherworldly scent, intoxicating and intimidating at once.

Later: Wow, this is a complex scent. The cinnamon is fading into the alcohol, and something incredibly sophisticated has been born. If you promise not to tell, I read Laurell K. Hamilton's Merry Gentry series, and this is the perfect scent for Queen Andais.

Edited to add: The next morning, when I got in the tub, the hot water activated the scent and I had the most lovely aroma wafting up all around me. I adore this scent!

Edited by merebrillante

OMG...

This is sooooo utterly fantastic and gorgeously divine.

*swoon*

And SEXY... Grrrrrrrr. :D

I don't normally go for anything with even a slight musk tone ~ but I am getting ready to seriously BATHE in this stuff. It is truly, wonderfully, magically GORGEOUS ~ and, like Dia de Los Muertos for me ~ I am getting more of this (somehow) NOW.

This is over-the-top-toe-curling-sex in a bottle.

Perfection.

My very favorite BPAL fragrance.

To think I almost didn't try it...

That would have been sad.

This is a BPAL love that I positively adore.

:P

After reading the reviews, i was kicking myself for not ordering this. I lucked into a bottle on the forum, and am SO happy that I did.

bloodmoon.jpg

Bottle: This has a gritty perfumey note similar to Gomorrah to my nose. (Gomorrah while in bottle, not while on skin). It is sweet and slighty spiced. There is also something that brings Devil’s night to mind. Maybe they share musk notes?

Wet: OMG, Dry woodsy cinnamon sticks. This makes me think of Hamadryad (which I own and love), but it’s a rounder, sweeter version of Hamadryad. The cinnamon in this has a different quality. Less floral to it, perhaps. Cinnamon and red musk with a sweet ‘nilla to it.

Drying: This loses the OMG cinnamon factor, and mellows into a spicy red musk rounded out by something sweeter/foodier. I think there probably is dragon’s blood in this, I feel like I’m getting a hint of a Dragon’s Milk note in this…Mostly, I get sweet cinnamon musk. Hmmmm….

Dry, 1-2 hrs later: This has morphed—its definitely one of beth’s scent journeys. The cinnamon is but a wispy memory, and I swear I’m getting a honey vanilla note reminiscent of O, on top of a sexy dark, but muted red(?) Musk. This is phenomenal. I wish there was a bit more cinnamon at this stage, but its too lovely to complain.

Overall: This lasts for a very long time, well over 7-8 hrs. The throw is great, and the late stage smells like a better, darker, sexier O. It also reminds me of a spicier, slinkier snake charmer (prob cuz of the vanilla/tonka).

That's it--Its like Hamadryad made sweet monkey love to Snake Charmer while Devil's Night and O watched. Kinky. And fantastic.

i had high hopes for this, as thus far, none of the moons have worked on me. this one doesn't turn, but it doesn't smell remarkable either. sort of like powdery cinnamon with a touch of musk.

Blood Moon reminds me of a pack of wolves or coyotes running around on a late summer/early autumn night... of werewolves changing into their wolf forms. This is a *strong*, spicy musk scent... it's *wild*, without bounds. I can't smell my wrist for too long before I get that headachey feeling...

That's it--Its like Hamadryad made sweet monkey love to Snake Charmer while Devil's Night and O watched. Kinky. And fantastic.

okay jewelbug, that was too funny but i get it!

i can really smell the sandalwood in this along with all the spiciness but......ouch! it really burns my skin which i have never experienced before. dummer...

smell 4 out 5

wearability 1.5 out of 5

Edited by graycat

In Bottle: Cinnamon and herbs

On Skin: The musks give this a beautiful base. The crushed grains have a sweet note, kind of like Dana O’Shee, and there has to be cinnamon in here because there is a fierce spicy note that burns my nose. The woods are like but add a masculine edge. I love that the herbs aren’t too medicinal. From the description and then smelling the scent, I do feel quite frenzied. It is feral and wild, very animalistic. When would I wear this? When I wanted to be be motivated beyond any measure, when I wanted to hunt something or somebody down, it just revs you up! The dry down softens it up a bit, maybe Dragon’s Blood coming forward? A very complex scent that is hard to put into words.

In the bottle: Cedar? Some sort of sweet wood and herbs.

On my skin: I've smelled this somewhere before, but I can't quite figure out what or where. A bit sweet, woodsy, some herbs filling out the sides.

Later on: Still going strong, both the feeling of frenzy I get when smelling this and the strong wood and herbal notes in this one. This scent ain't backin' down from nothin'! I'm glad I have both a bottle and imp of this one.

This was a frimp from my enabler friend Venusflytrap - thanks!!

In the vial - Cinnamon and my mom's fresh baked bread - strange...

Wet: The primary note I am getting is still cinnamon - and still getting homemade bread. In the background I am picking up a woody scent too.

Dry Down: The promise of some type of wood was an empty promise - the woodsy note has faded.What I am left with is cinnamon, grain, and a bit of honey.

Conclusion: This is a very different scent to me. I think I will have to wear it 3 or 4 more times to really get a feel for it. Good throw and lasts a good 4 or 5 hrs. on me.

Got an empty bottle of this from an LJer, and, whadya know, there was enough for a slather!

In the bottle: Strong, dry cinnamon sticks! Mmm. Spicy and hawt. I get something like sandalwood, too, and I know there's red musk lurking in there too. Something sweet as well, maybe honey? This is very nice. Quite feral and wild. I can sort of catch a whiff of the grain, too.

Wet: Cinnamon attack! That's okay, though, I love cinnamon... mmm, yes, cinnamon, sandalwood, musk, something a little sugary-- vanilla? Tonka?-- a sort of bread note.... This is lovely. Very, very similar to Sin, too, must be the combination of cinnamon and sandalwood. Much sweeter, though, I must say. :D This is aptly named, it really does recall a hunt or a wild night late in the fall. There's a surprisingly fresh green note in there somewhere, not a pine but something more aquatic... cypress, perhaps? I think it's part of the "traditional lunar oils", since I get this part from a lot of Lunacy blends.

Dry: Foresty, spicy, sweet and smoky all wrapped up together. I smell cinnamon, sandalwood, ozone/some kind of tree note, vanilla/tonka, and velvety soft red musk. This is so.... wild. It makes me want to romp. Seriously. I feel like hauling a pretty boy out into the woods and just.... mauling him. Dammit! Now I have to hunt down more of this. *sigh*

It's worth it, though. Every time I sniff my arm, I snarl a little bit. .... Er, in a good way. :P

A very intense musky herbal scent – smells spicy in the bottle, but not on my skin. Kind of a fetid metallic musk with sharp herbs. :P Had to get it off, fast.

Just not for me, I guess. (sigh...)

Blood moon smells like a cinnaburst gum on my wrist, seriously.

Fortunately that does not last too long (or I might have start to gnaw on my wrist). After about five minutes later, the cinnamon gumminess dries down to lovely soft red musk.

It only stays for about an hour or two though, which is a big bummer.