Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Macha

Blood Moon 2005

BLOOD MOON

... The feral scent of the heat of the chase, deep woods, undulating musks, brushed by forest herbs, crushed grains, and touched by blood-dimmed lunar oils.

Ran out to my car at lunchtime with the preciousss and here are my first impressions:

Lovely bottle and oh, my goddess, the color! The Q-tip was a lovely shade of red.

My initial impression was lots of spiciness, but it's been about an hour since I put it on and it's dried down to a nice warm scent with just a hint of spice.

Will I keep it? Yes, it's one of those scents that stays close to the body.

Can't wait to find out what the boy thinks of this, he's been quite appreciative of the Lab's efforts to date.

Edited by Shollin

First time I tested a little hint of this, daaaaayum did I ever get the grain scent. I got the grain scent so much I started to get worried.

Then it started to grow on me and I got hints of vanilla and musk. I kinda liked it. After a few minutes, I started to jones for it. So I put on some more, now actually wearing it instead of just hinting with it.

Oh gods, I like this blend. I like it a lot. The cinnamon is hot, but not overpowering, the musk is earthy and warm and cozy, the vanilla just adds a bit of smooth, and then there's that grain note, truckin' along and making it feel like fall. Warm and snuggly, like looking up at the moon underneath a cotton afghan that smells like a naked cowboy, I dunno. But damn, I like it.

Blood Moon: I dont think that I like this one. :D To me it smells like a watered down version of Al-Shairan and I dont like Al-Shairan. Well off to the swap mines. :P

Blood Moon smells like sex to me :D

There's a wonderful little sex shop in Portland, OR called the Crimson Phoenix, and I used to frequent it many, many moons ago. They used to have some originally mixed pheremone perfumes there, and this smells exactly like the one I selected for my man. I loved that scent on him.

Anyway, so I'm working today, in SALES, and this box arrived. I snuck to my office for a quick sniff, and I've had sex on the brain ever since. My sales are up today too, so maybe it's the attitude. lol

To the review!

In the bottle: Red, musky, with something earthy. It kind of has the earthiness of Sin without being so heavy, so I'm guessing that's the patchouli I smell. I think there's rose in there too, but rose goes soapy on me and this doesn't on the skin. There's also an elusive bit of spice. I can't tell if it's cinnamon or cardamom, because the rosey note seems to be morphing it. Hmmm... Interesting.

On the skin: Same warm, red smell, and we're talking THROW. It's a windy day today, and only a finger's dab is scenting the air around me. Seems to be lasting too, since I've had it on a good 3 hours and it hasn't seemed to fade any. It's getting a little muskier, and there's this yummy creamy note deep down that makes me want to lick my skin. :P This would be great on a guy too. (There's a neck I'd love to lick!) Sorry, sex on the brain.... :D

Wonderful stuff. I'm glad I bought two bottles, but I really could use 6 or 8 more!

Blood Moon smells, in the bottle and on me, like musk and spice. It's very strong, very cologney, and a little reminiscent of Old Spice (or rather, what I remember Old Spice smelling like years ago, which is the last time I smelled any). As it dries down, it gets softer and creamier but never loses that cologney aspect, which is a bummer. In some ways it's quite a sexy scent, but not one I want to smell like, and it becomes very difficult to wash the musk off when I get tired of it as well. Add to all this the fact that my skin turned red where I applied it, and I'm going to have to say that I don't think Blood Moon is for me.

I definitely got cinnamon when this went on, and it's stayed fairly cinnamony. There are layers behind the spice that I can't quite identify though. They may be herbal, and something's slightly metallic/bitter. Hmm. I think I like this, but I will have to give it a bit more time.

OH HOLY HELL I LOVE YOU BETH!

This scent is pure sex in a bottle. In the bottle all I smell is spicy woods. I get the cinnimon everyone else is getting and that sort of made me a bit worried. I couldn't wear Three Witches because of it. :D But, Ihad to at least try it!

Wet on my skin: Feel the BURN! yeah, that's cinnimon in there, but, I got past the pain *lol* it stopped burning and didn't give me a rash, I take that a sa go ahead. :D Wet, still very spicy, I can smell the blood part, I'm also chiming in with dragon's blood but not a bunch of it, like a little dab. Woods, the sandalwood comes to the forefront.

Dry down 15 mins later: Musk, deep sexy musk. The cinnimon has left the building and it's slightly floral on me, not bad floral like they like to do to me YAY!

Well, I am sure as hell happy that I ordered 3 bottles of this scent. This isn't leaving my sight. Blood Moon just bumped French Love off my top sexy scent list. I'm in total bliss. :P

I was a bit afraid of what Blood Moon would smell like, but I had to have it, since it's my birthday moon.

In the bottle, I smelled sweet cinnamon, and spices, underlaid by something herbal, and yes, metallic.

As soon as it touches my skin, the cinnamon blooms out, and then fades a bit to make room for the head shop smell I got when I put on Spellbound. Heady musky, incensy, and almost sickening, especially since it's underpinned by the disturbing metallic tone. This doesn't smell bad, it's just a bit too much for me, very rich and thick. I'm also beginning to think that red musk doesn't agree with me.

As it dries, the scent of the local head shop only becomes more prominent. The spiciness that I love is overwhelmed by everything else.

I'm sorry Blood Moon. Despite your pretty label, and being my birthday moon, we don't get along.

Blood Moon

This is my birth moon, and except for Storm Moon I have gotten along exceptionally well with all the Lunacy blends I have tried. I tend not to worry about the Lunacies because the chances of my two arch nemeses, myrrh and saffron, showing up are slim. Early reviews supported my optimism; I get along well with spices (except saffron), sandalwood and musk, and pretty much anything that smells like vanilla.

So, what is this sharp, unpleasant note that comes at me out of the bottle? Smells remarkably like myrrh. Uh oh.

Wet on: Cinnamon, but with something else that makes the cinnamon smell almost like cumin. Whatever the ingredient is that smelled so sharp in the bottle is not letting up, and is sucking any sweetness there might have been to this blend right out. It almost smells like civet.

Drying: More of the same. Just sharp, dry, bitter-to-sour cumin-civet and, well, that’s it, really. No sandalwood, no musks that I recognize as such, no vanilla, no grains, no woods, no lunar oils.

Man, it’s my birth moon. I would have settled for "Meh"; I was totally unprepared for a wash-off. :P I’m going to keep it and try it again when I’ve finished this short-term asthma medication I started a week ago, as it may well be affecting my skin chemistry or even my sense of smell, but I’m not really holding out much hope. Either there is a really unfortunate interaction between one of the musks and the sandalwood, or there is myrrh in this. Either way, unless something radical happens with my chemistry, I can’t wear this. Guess I’ll just have to soldier on with the 80 or 90 scents that do work with my chemistry. ::heavy sigh:: :D

In the bottle:

Powdery and musky

On me:

This was another case of me ordering a bottle without expecting a lot. I didn't expect to hate it, but I wasn't expecting to love it either. The description appealed to me a lot, but I've had real hit or miss success with the lunacy blends.

I am so glad I DID order though, and let this be a lesson to me that I should never doubt my love for all things musk.

At first, this smells like a man to me. Not in a masculine way, it smells more like a man would after they've just showered. It's mens soap and shampoo and deoderant and powder. Then it all starts to settle into a gloriously musky scent. The sandalwood makes a wonderful partner to this musk, and there is something spicy there too - I'm not so sure it's cinnamon, but perhaps nutmeg. It just might be cinnamon though. Maybe a little ginger in there too, there is something with a bit of a kick that I can't identify.

Final note:

Glorious. I just love it. I have no doubt that my bottle will be used. Also, this would work great on a man or a woman

I am so on the fence about this one. I don't dislike it but I also don't feel like I can sincerely say I love it. When I first put this on I smell something nutty like almonds in the form of marzipan. Is that orange I'm smelling in there, too? Well, based on the notes listed, it sounded like a winner for me but something in it is keeping me at bay and I think it's the grain. There's a dry sort of haystraw scent, which isn't unappealing but just out of place. After an hour it turns really powdery the way Juke Joint did on me, but with a touch of cinnamon or ginger dust. Whatever that strange note is, it leaves me unsettled. *sigh*

In the Bottle, Cinnamon, something woody...?

Wet: CINNAMON

drying: woody (cedar?) cinnamon, starting to pick up something else sweet, possibly vanilla, maybe dragon's blood. I'm tempted to say the later, because it has that 'candy' smell that I've come to associate with dragon's blood blends. So right now, all together, it is like wood and cinnamon hearts.

As it continues to dry, I get nice dry kind of burny-wood that I get from Djinn, and the cinnamon blends in more and more, to the point where it is hard to pick out.

About 20 min in, it's got more throw as a sort of sweet, vaguely cinammon-y wood.

Oh, I knew I would love this!

I wasn't sure about this one at first - on me it smelled similar to Black Phoenix, an old favorite, but without the cherry, though it was a little muted, and I wondered if it was one of those scents my nose just refuses to recognize are there.

Then I wore it again today. I think it must have been a time of month thing, because today it bloomed into a beautiful light warm spicy musk. I reapplied in my normal obsessive fashion, and may have ended up with a little too much on, but at our morning meeting I got four compliments from coworkers! I've never gotten more than one a day before.

Also, I love the pale pink color of the oil. It looks so rich and sensual ... :P

First Impression: Warm and woodsy.

Second Impression: Dragon's blood and woods with a touch of spice, there is something fresh and herbally underneath the woods and spices. I don't get a lot of vanilla or sweetness. The drydown reminds me of Noir and Black Widow.

Final Analysis: This is a dark blend, sensual and mysterious very well suited to its name.

In bottle: A sharp blend. This is indeed deep woods and darkness swirling together. I can't say that I much care for it at the moment, but we shall see what the skin does. There's a bit of green herb that seems promising, if the rest of the blend will lighten.

On me: I keep going back and forth on this blend. It is such a light but spicy perfume; cinnamon and herbal, with dark woods that seem brighter than I had anticipated. Yet somehow the blend is unmistakably one of blood, although it doesn't smell of it. I like it, I don't know if I like it, I can't tell what I like about it. I keep bouncing around with my opinion, but ultimately I think it's a winner and I appreciate the subtle shifts in the blend. It does, however, remind me of a lumpy tapioca pudding I was served a few weeks ago that had cinnamon ground on top for seasoning, and it's killing this scent as a perfume. I will probably be putting it up for swap soon.

i wasn't nuts about this at first, but it's starting to grow on me a little more. the first stage is not great on me - cinnamon, the grains, and perhaps dragon's blood - something is reminding me of urinal cake.

then, something like camphor develops, and helps even-out the scent. after it calms down some, it works much better on my skin - more like a smooth, subtle, warm scent. not one of my favorites, but kind of nice for a chilly evening.

At first when I put this on, I thought it was a little toooooo spicey for me. I let it sit for a moment & it bloomed to this wonderful exotic spice. Warm & seductive, just a wonderful blend... I bought 2 bottles, but one is enough for me.... I really have way too much oil right now! BTW: this is pretty strong after application, it really smells totally different when you put it on. :P

Spices, musk, dragons blood and grain. It is the darkest smelling of the moons and is similar to bloodlust or sin,cathedral, bengal or anne bonny. I'm ovulating right now and smells like this are offfputting to me atm, but I like these at all other times and suspect I'll like this one as well. With all the resinous and woody notes in it I expect this will age spectacularly! I got two bottles but doubt I will keep both as I already have quite a collection of dark smeling oils. I'll have to give this a proper review in a couple of days when my hormones change.

In the bottle

Spicy candy

On

This is similar to "Blood Lust" and along the same lines as "Malkuth" as well. It's sweeter than I imagined. Like dark candy. I don't smell any grain and it's not particlularly herby on my skin.

30 minutes

It's very candy like and it smells like red hots mixed with musk.

I do smell more of the grain now.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Spicy/Woodsy/Animalistic

Summary

Sweet and spicy it definitely feels like the color red.

The scent lasts longer than average too.

Purchase again?

No. Never thought I'd say this but it's too spicy and sweet on my skin.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

From the bottle, Blood Moon smells of cinnamon and herbs. It's more of a bright, candy-ish cinnamon as opposed to the sharp bark scent. It's got almost a tonic quality to it, like cinnamon soda if that could (did or does) ever exist.

It stays pretty true to the bottle scent on my skin, though it's more warm and dark. I don't know if there's actually vanilla present, but there's a hint of foody depth for certain.

The spice dies out rather quickly on my skin. But the overall scent lingers - soft musk, light herbs, grounding grains and woods. Lovely, unique, and perfect for the late Autumn/Winter months. I'm loving this blend and will greatly enjoy all 5mls of it drop by drop.

I don't get spices, sweetness, or grains from Blood Moon - on me, it's a very dark, dry, feral red scent, much more so than Hunter Moon. It is a lot like Bloodlust – vetiver and dragon's blood and patchouli, I'm guessing. It starts out very vetivery/musky and just stays that way.

It's really not me, and I was expecting to like it. Oh well, it seems to be a hit, so it shouldn't be too hard to swap! :P

Edited by isyche

I can't really add much to what's already been said - I'll just say that on my skin, Blood Moon is the lovechild of Sugar Cookie and Devil's Night. Which ain't a bad thing at all. I'm mainly getting spice, but with a smoky/musky note. Nice!

I don't get anything feral here, but then... I never think anything smells feral (unless there's civet in there, and that's not a good kind of feral for me). So... for me, this is fall air and baked goods. Not what I expected, but quite pleasant.

Blood Moon is spicy and sweet as others have mentioned. For some reason I do not get the lunar oil undertone that I get from most lunar blends which I find interesting. This actually reminds me of Chimera but with a redness and an exotic and mysterious depth - perhaps the red sandalwood?. I think this is one of my favorite lunar oils so far and the lable is fantastic.