Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The fiery, volatile scent of cinnamon, thickened by myrrh, honeysuckle, and copal.

Chimera-

In Bottle: More sweet that cinnamony. Though there's a hint of spice.

Wet: There's a...plaster of paris scent in this.

Dry: This is a mild scent, not too strongly cinnamony, and there's definitely a...Play-Doh kind of thing going on with it, but I kind of like it.

Overall: Conditional. Interesting. Edited by Shollin

I heard so many good reviews about this when I tried it, I yelped happily. Will this scent be my one true love in the absence of cinnamony goodness? Exciteingly I tried it on, but sadness overtakes my heart. My skin eats up all the complex parts and simply spews out a scent of really cheap cinnamon candles. *sigh* Maybe a cinnamon scent will love me, one day.

This is a lovely scent for someone who likes a warm, thick cinnamony scent.

It's lovely, but not something I'd wear. I would use it as a scent diffuser for the house, or added to candles.

It's a delicious scent though. Think hot buttered rum, warm cinnamon rolls with icing and thick honey running down your arm but sophisticated, female and SEXY. And that is this scent.

**Footnote: My boyfriend came home and loved this on me, so I guess it's one I'll be wearing too!

Edited by White Falcon

In the bottle: cinnamon, paired with something spicy and alluring. Mysterious.

On, wet: Cinnamon candy! yum!

Drydown: Still smells like sweet cinnamon. I love it. After about 10-15 mins, a touch of incense starts to get stronger and stronger. It's starting to remind me of the cinnamon "incense matchbooks" I used to pick up from the head shop as a teenager. (Sounds hippie, I know, but the cinnamon was my fave because it was the least incensey-smell.)

Dry: the incense smell fades a bit. The cinnamon is holding strong. The sweet is rounded out well by the spicy.

Throw: good. Stronger than most of the other scents I've tried so far.

Final verdict (for now): Cinnamon-sugar-incense. I love it. My new fave. Oh, and I held out my wrist for my SO to sniff, and his response was to try to chomp on my wrist (he's been doing that a lot lately, with all the foody scents I'm trying) :P

Chimera started out with a bite, so to speak. I smelled like a creamy Red Hot. Talk about yummy! I was groaning in delight and wishing I had some cinnamon candy.

It quickly changed into a more floral scent. The myrrh and copal hit me in the back of the nose like incense. The honeysuckle is sweet without being overpowering. The cinnamon is a warm piquant note that lingers and seems to charge the honeysuckle with something more sexy.

I find Chimera to be a great scent for a cold winter day. I've felt cozy all day. This is a definite keeper.

In the imp: hmm, much lighter than I'd expected - more honey, less cinnamon-and-resin.

On me, wet: sweet honey and a very mild but warm cinnamon.

On me, dry: ah, baby-powder-honey-smell, how I'd forgotten you. Alas, this isn't to my taste at all, though it was quie nice wet.

Verdict: Swap pile.

chimera smells...weird in the bottle to me. i had an imp of this and remember that i wasn't too impressed, cause i swapped it away. now i'm glad i bought a partial bottle to check it out again--this hits on all my scent loves! cinnamon and honey, with a sexy kick. love.

Imp: cinnamon candy or cinnamon scratch n' snif sticker!

Wet: (oops that was a proper generous dab...) slight tingly feeling, no redness though. The scent warms up and is not so "artificial" smelling anymore. The honeysuckle emerges, or at least something that has a definate honey-ish quality. It's quite nice combined with the cinnamon.

Dry: Ha! Oh play-doh scent how I loathe thee :P it's not soo bad, but it's still there. Maybe it will go away or I will get used to it like I did with Snake Oil. Hm.

ETA: the play-dough did disappear significantly apon the drydown, and this it the scent that has wafted the most on me in my BPAL experience! It was a nice smell, but I'm not sure I will wear this much, as it didn't feel like me.

Edited by Browneyes

Imp: Spicy, but not the kind I'd associate with cinnamon, with something soft & warm under it.

Wet: Ooh now it's creamy creamy spicey goodness. :P Not at all the red-hots I've expected from reviews, but this seems far more interesting!

Drydown: Generally the same all day, just kind of... mellows out. Mmm. I ran up to loads of people today going "SMELL MY ARM" and everyone went "wha?... ooooh." Definitely a keeper!

Chimera is simply delicious! It starts out as hot and heavy cinnamon, but then mellows down very nicely. The copal really adds a sweet touch and the overall dry-down is a warm, spicy, sweet cinnamon-vanilla scent. :P

Chimera smells divine! It smells ok in the imp but once applied it is delish! The honey is warm and the cinnamon is spicy and after wearing it for a few hours combine together into a very exciting scent. :P

Wet: Very sweet. Definitely honeysuckle, with just a hint of cinnamon, and maybe some vanilla/honey.

As it dries, the cinnamon really comes out, just barely leavened by the honey(suckle). It's the switch of Bengal.

Dry, it's sugary-sweet--my fiance said it smelled like cotton candy.

Verdict: I like my imp, but not enough to buy a 5 mL. Might trade for more imps of this in the future.

Imp: Oooooh, cinnamon. Can definitely smell that in the imp, sweetened by something.

Wet (applied to inner elbow): The cinnamon gets a little darker and complex. It’s still sweet – an almost thin-syrupy sweet. I think that’s the copal&myrrh?

Drydown: Mildly sweetened cinnamon. I can definitely see the resemblance to red hots. I’m also getting increasing sweetness from what I think is the honeysuckle as time goes by. Very slight skin-reddening, but no burning sensation/welts/etc. Thank goodness!

Dry: Holy cow, I’m now getting this vanilla-creamy background wafting up from the cinnamon-y goodness. OMG, is that honeysuckle?? :P

Verdict: Definitely a fan. As a bonus -- I’ve been trying to find a cinnamon blend to wear for the fella (who’s addicted to the smell of cinnamon!), and this may work out nicely. :D

Imp: cinnamon, very warm, but not as in your face as it can be...maybe more creamy?

Wet: hot cinnamon, but still something creamy underneath.

Dry: sweet, warm, and powdery in a really nice, comforting way.

Final Thoughts: this is nice, but I'm not getting much honey suckle, except in some sweetness, but I really hoping for the scent of a honey suckle bloom. This is nice anyway, but I can't make up my mind on whether the imp is enough or if I want more. I'll try it out a few more times.

I'd been wanting to try Chimera for ages, so when the lovely Midnight Aeval included it as a frimp in a recent purchase, I was excited! I wasn't sure how cinnamon would sit on my usually very sensitive skin, but this had honeysuckle! Another love, after getting to try (and buy) Aries 2007 this year.

Initially, like many people have posted, I got Cinnamon Red Hots with a healthy dose of honeysuckle. The resins were there, but not overpoweringly so. As it dried down, however, it became mostly cinnamon and resins -- which is totally okay, and I'm loving it. I just wish there was more honeysuckle in the mix. Obviously I amp cinnamon and resins, which I figured I would anyways. Still, once completely dry, it's not overpowering. It's subtle, rich, comforting and lovely. I will look forward to wearing this more in the fall/winter. It's definitely a keeper!

In the bottle: Ooh, this is edible. Something smells faintly chocolatey - or maybe vanilla-y - but there's something woody behind it too. Not sandalwood, this time; this must be the myrrh.

On the wrist: Biscuits. Those soft cinnamon-spicy biscuits our family often had around Christmas time. The wood smell is a little fainter, but still there; I'm thinking of biscuits in a wooden presentation box. Oh god I'm hungry.

One hour later: There is no cinnamon. There is no myrrh. There is only a glorious mellow blend of both, gradually fading towards vanilla as it ages. Omnomnomn.

"You sure you have the right guy?" That's my first impulse on smelling this. I've heard this is a cinnamon-heavy scent and there is a hint of cinnamon here, but most of it is . . . it's this thick, golden warmth, honey and incense, a sugary smoke scent that's somewhere between shortbread and smoldering resin. Good Lord, but this is good!

On, yeah, the cinnamon has more jazz to it, but the resin is still riding high. This is not a hard-candy sort of smell. This is spiced smoke and smoldering coals strewn thick with precious resin. Myrrh, always golden and sugary, mingles with the so-traditional incense aroma of copal, and the faint, sweet hum of honeysuckle is crammed way back in there among them.

This is hazy, thick, and warm, a ragged pelt of a scent that clings close, only lets sweet tendrils of odor creep out to entice and enchant.

This is dangerously desirable, a perfume that raises the immediate question: do I eat it or have immediate sex with it?

A person who'd wear this would do both, but wouldn't seem to care about the order.

Go for it.

In the imp: Cinnamony

On Skin: Very faint cinnamon, sweet

On Drydown: I guess it takes a while for the cinnamon to bloom on my skin. It's pretty cinnamony right now and kinda reminds me to cookies.

Verdict: I'm surprised and delighted. I like this more than I expected to given the notes and the fact that I'm not really a "spicy" kinda girl. Very pretty.

Smells like I have a big sweet sticky ball of Big Red chewy sitting on my wrist! :P

I so don't think I'll be keeping this one.

In the imp: Floral honeysuckle (which I'm not the most keen on) & cinnamon

Wet on skin: CINNAMON.. can't smell much of the honeysuckle.. just a little floral tone to the background

Dry: This goes a bit sweeter and more candy-like on my skin but that's okie as I like candy smells! So it smells like sweet, sugary cinnamon. Very warm & lovely. Might purchase a bottle for warm comfort on cold winter days. :P

In the imp: Foody; something like cherry.

Wet: Cinnamon. Having been forewarned (thank heavens for this forum) about the intensity of the cinnamon, I applied this to the tougher skin on my knuckles, and I'm glad I did; I think the crook of my elbow, for example, would be burning by now.

Drydown: I don't get any of the honeysuckle. I do get a true, foody vanilla, definitely not tonka; we're off to Cinnabon, by and large, with the myrrh and copal way in the background and only available after a considerable drydown.

Verdict: There are foody scents I like better. I tried this hoping for the resins to come out more on me (and the poor, absent honeysuckle!), but my skin likes to play with fire.

When I wore this, I thought 'almond' much more than 'cinnamon'. I found it nice and warm, spicy, and kind of like bread or pastry (which in this case was a good thing). Reading over the description, I was startled to see some of the notes....honeysuckle? Where was that? Copal I could understand. I will definitely wear this again. It's kind of a golden, spicy, bakery scent for me, which I do like. Yum.

Origin: Decant I picked up somewhere

Initial Thoughts: For the longest time this has been sitting in the "special" corner of my imp box. I think I kept confusing it with Chesed or Chiroptera, thinking it was an LE. Time to test it and see if I'll wear it; I adore honeysuckle.

In the Bottle: Cinnamon sugar. I don't know if it's the honeysuckle making it so sweet, but something is.

Wet: The myrrh comes out to play, but the sweet cinnamon is still strongest.

Drydown: Something is causing an almond-like quality and the cinnamon tones down a bit so I'm left with a very pastry-ish smell. But still a very cinnamon-y pastry. I can't find the honeysuckle at all, more's the pity.

Verdict: *looks at too-large pile of imps* It's a nice scent, but I'm honestly not sure how often I'd reach for it.

In the imp and wet on my skin, Chimera is a cinnamon floral. But it started to irritate so I had to wash it off. I'm sure someone else will love it.