Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The fiery, volatile scent of cinnamon, thickened by myrrh, honeysuckle, and copal.

Plasticy holiday-candle cinnamon + honey, deepened by the resins. Creamy and spicy.

Huh. Also surprised that I've not yet reviewed this, as it's a cinnamon blend I've tried before. This is a Lab frimp that arrived recently. 

In the imp: Cinnamon, myrrh, and sweetness, probably the honeysuckle. Accurate to say the resins "thicken" the cinnamon.

On my skin:

Wet, it's primarily honeysuckle tinged with cinnamon. As it dries, the myrrh comes back out again, deepening the scent. It is a beautiful, sweet, complex, deep cinnamon blend. 

And within an hour on my skin, it's disappeared. Why do the good ones always go?

I can see why this one is so popular! It's all creamy cinnamon and honeysuckle deepened by incense. There is an almost vanilla aspect to it that reminds me of Snake Oil and Dragon's Milk. I do wish it had more throw and staying power, but at least I can apply it to my hair (and, maybe someday, a scent locket). I will definitely be getting a bottle of this when I can.

Edited by feyofthefellwood

I purchased this as a fresh imp.  I feel that the previous poster's comparison to Dragon's Milk is somewhat apt.

I found Dragon's Milk to be offensively sweet until it dried.  Chimera is like the dry phase of Dragon's Milk, skipping over the offensively sweet period entirely.  Excellent.

This has a bready undertone to it that makes it seem extremely edible.  In fact, I would say that Chimera and Bliss are the most edible-smelling BPAL scents I've tried.  The scent didn't really morph at all and lasted for an average amount of time (3-4 hours).

This was one of the first BPALs I really fell in love with, fifteen or so years ago, but every bottle feels like a gamble--it's like there are two versions of this scent (in my brain they're the good one and the bad one). The good Chimera is a sweet almost candy cinnamon with just enough depth to stay interesting and is my go-to winter comfort scent. The bad one has almost no cinnamon and smells sort of sour and dusty. The difference is immediate and apparent in the bottle--I wish it were a skin chemistry issue, but historically every fifth bottle or so I've gotten has been "bad". I got a bad one a year or so ago and hoped that maybe it would somehow age out of it, but it was still nasty this fall and I decided to replace. The new bottle is the bad version again. I'm really bummed.

I liked this wet when the cinnamon was coming through strong in a Big Red way, but on dry down the honeysuckle and copal took it to a kind of indolic place, since there wasn't anything sharp, really, to balance it out.  It just isn't a match for me, which is a shame because I love cinnamon and myrrh.

This is... interesting. It reminds me of the buttered popcorn jelly belly flavor. It's sweet, but buttery. I don't really get a lot of cinnamon, honestly. It's a pretty neat scent, surprisingly unfloral despite the description. Though I find it intriguing, it's not something I think I would grab on a regular basis. Therefore I am going to pass this imp of unknown age on to someone else. It's a win, just not a win for me.

EDIT: I've tried another imp, also of an unknown age, and WHAM there's the cinnamon! Dunno what happened to the first one. I actually really like it now. Yes, the cinnamon is a little plasticky/candy-like, but the butter creaminess lends to the spice. I think I'll keep this one, at least!

Edited by skyturtles
New imp

Within five minutes of applying, this was CINNAMON x 10,000 and I couldn't smell anything else long after it had dried down. I had to wipe it off eventually.