Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Ms. MSGirl

layering with Angel?

So I tried Angel again today when I was out shopping, after not having smelled it for a long time, and I really do love it. I adore all of the notes in it, the honey and chocolate and vanilla and spices, etc. etc. -- except for the patchouli, which fortunately I can't really smell in it at all!

edited to say, here are the official notes I found somewhere:

Thierry Mugler Angel perfume consists of:

Top Notes: Fruits, dewberry, helonial, honey

Heart Notes: Chocolate, caramel, coumarin

Base Notes: Vanilla, patchouli

What are helional and coumarin? I also read that it has notes of melons and plums... it's quite complex.

So, what do you gals think? I am thinking it would be good with O, but I would love more suggestions. I am looking to emphasize the sweetness, but you all are so much more inventive about these things...

Edited by Ms. MSGirl

I love Angel too. Even BPAL couldn't turn me off it. It's a lovely blend. I think O would be good with it, and I agree with Twisty, Velvet would also be divine. Or what about O and Gluttony?

According to one of my essential oils books, coumarin is a by-product that is found in tonka bean, and has a hay-like fragrance.

No mention of helional.

Actually... I wear Angel CONSTANTLY. I go through bottles of this stuff like water. So far:

Thierry Mugler introduced Angel in 1993. It's fragrant nature explores essences of honey, chocolate and caramel. Blended with notes of vanilla, patchouli and sandalwood. Angel is recommended for romantic use.

I wear it with sandlewood notes, sometimes more vanilla, and I think it goes nice with Gluttony in small amounts. But that's just me. I LOVE sweet scents. Angel is not like anything I've ever encountered... I've been wearing it since 1993. I own the body lotion, the shower gel... everything. It's heavenly. People have followed me around asking me what perfume I'm wearing so many times I've lost count.

:P

-Leslie

Interestingly, last night I still had Angel all over me, and for an all-night outdoor event in the cold (so no risk of fragrance overload!) I put on Tamora on all my pulse points, and just the tiniest dab of Hellcat on my wrists. I can't really wear Hellcat, but I needed the tiniest oomph of wood or smoke or whatever that really sharp smell in it is. Tamora is like a sweeter, more wearable version of Hellcat for me. Both went really well over the Angel.

I am loving all these suggestions! Thanks and keep 'em coming!

Ok I played with Angel and a little bit of single note Vanilla today earlier... it was really nice!

Then tonight I tpuched up with some Old Morocco, and that worked well for me, too.

-Leslie

Just poking around and I found this thread. I wanted to resurrect to see if I could get some recommendations off of it. =)

I LOVE Angel. I've gone through a bottle or two a year of this stuff (it's the ONLY perfume I've ever worn with much regularity). On me I seem to get some high notes of peach and bitter orange... the drydown is a powdery incensey smell. I don't really get too much of a vanilla smell, but a really faint chocolately one initially. Sometimes I layer it with a peachy (discontinued Body Shop spray) scent.

Anyway, I haven't gotten any of my BPAL orders yet (please please please today), so I wonder if anyone noticed any similarities between Angel & some BPAL oils? I've ordered imps of Akuma & Bordello & Blood Countess (well, and about 2308434 others) hoping they'd remind me a bit of Angel. =)

Any other recs? It doesn't have to smell EXACTLY like it, but fruit + spicey/incensey = TEH WIN! hehe.

Thanks! xoxox

I am an Angel addict.

I've come to find it layers best with:

O

Velvet

Bliss

Old Morocco

Snake Oil

Hellcat

Noir (discontinued)

Mabon

Tarot: The Sun

Three Witches

-Leslie

I am an Angel addict.

O

Velvet

Bliss

Old Morocco

Snake Oil

Hellcat

Noir (discontinued)

Mabon

Three Witches

Awesome! Somehow you listed a bunch of imps that I think have escaped my order list! I shall add these to my next big haul. Thanks!! =)

I'm another Angel lover who can't seem to break the habit. :P

I'll have to try Snake Oil and Three Witches with it. I've never tried Noir at all because no one's wanted to swap me some, but I might have to try that, too, if I get my hot little hands on some. :D

I would think Snake Oil would probably be a good choice or O or maybe even Le Petit Mort. :D

Anyway, I haven't gotten any of my BPAL orders yet (please please please today), so I wonder if anyone noticed any similarities between Angel & some BPAL oils?

Xiuhtecuhtli reminds me of Angel. If you read the reviews for this particular BPAL, you'll see that this similarity is mentioned a few times by different reviewers.

Anyway, I haven't gotten any of my BPAL orders yet (please please please today), so I wonder if anyone noticed any similarities between Angel & some BPAL oils?

Xiuhtecuhtli reminds me of Angel. If you read the reviews for this particular BPAL, you'll see that this similarity is mentioned a few times by different reviewers.

Heh. I didn't see that come up in a search. Oddly enough, I just got a freebee imp of Xiutecuhtli. Though, out of the bottle it smells very much like a lime.

Then again, I'm thinking it's futile to ask for comparisons. Angel tends to smell different on everyone, as do BPAL oils. :P

thanks for the recs though! :D

I was going to say I just tried my imp of Xiutecuhtli for the first time and it does smell exactly like Angel. At least to me. I got out my Angel and compared them side by side and it was almost a dead on match, but then everyone experiences scents differently, so I guess it's not true for everyone. :D

I'm sorry to briefly hijack this thread, but I keep seeing the subject line and picturing David Boreanaz...and "layering" becomes something else altogether! :P

O

Velvet

Bliss

Old Morocco

Snake Oil

Hellcat

Noir (discontinued)

Mabon

Uh oh...I think if I came across some Angel, I'd fall in love with it.

Heh, at least I'm not the only one who thinks it's a dead-on dupe of Angel. I was beginning to think I was crazy. :P

Heh, at least I'm not the only one who thinks it's a dead-on dupe of Angel.  I was beginning to think I was crazy. :D

hi y'all :D i saw this thread and was reminded that i had purchased the eau de parfum bottle which is the refillable 25 ml. one of angel over the summer and have used maybe almost half- so it is still pretty full and is eau de parfum which is pretty potent and can be refilled- they do refills at nordstrom's for less than the bottle price so its a good deal...i haven't worn it since the summer and feel bad holding on it. anybody who loves angel, feel free to pm me with an offer- i have paypal or like lush stuff too- and i shall send it over to an angel-hungry angel :P with some other goodies too!

I went back and sniffed Xiuhtecuhtli after reading this thread and I just don't see the Angel comparison...I sure wish I did though :P

Sign in to follow this