Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Lucy's Kiss

Created to represent the essence of Bram Stoker’s tragic heroine, Lucy Westenra. Seductive, wanton and deadly, but underscored with a soft, wistful innocense. The gentle scent of rose and a blend of Victorian spices.

In the Vial: Sweet and rosy

Wet: It's sweet, roses, with a tiny hint of spice...

Dry: Roses, just very sweet beautiful roses...they smell fresh with a tiny hint of spice, but, that's it. It's such a beautiful scent.... The Drydown makes me feel like a rose that's blooming, since that's how I smell.

Conclusion: It smells like some fresh Roses and I'll wear this if I'm in a Rosy mood. I won't be buying a bottle because it's just not something I see myself wearing often but I WILL finish the imp!

Wet, this is almost an aquatic rose with something like amber lingering in the background.

On my skin, it turns to light, white roses – very girlie and sweet. It’s a fresh and innocent kind of floral, absolutely true to its description and namesake. As it deepens, the spices emerge slightly. They aren’t overt, though. More like something you’d expect to find in an old-fashioned scented talcum powder.

The floral remains clean and refrains from becoming either heavy or cloying. All in all, it’s great to wear as an unassuming rose blend during the spring or general daytime. I’m pleased with the imp and might be inclined to order more in the future.

This is hands-down my favorite rose scent, and I'm not much of a rose person. It's all creamy, lovely, warm, very slightly spiced rose, but not an in-your-face rose. I'm used to rose scents making my nose itch and screaming at me but this was a lovely, sweet, not-too-rosey rose. It's a very excellent spring fragrance, I think.

There seem to be two different BPAL rose notes: really lovely, fresh rose, and dryer-sheet rose.

This is the latter :P

Lucy's Kiss smells like chemically, generic rose with a touch of a fruity note...I can't smell any spices.

I've no clue what victorian spices consist of, but Lucy's Kiss didn't smell the least bit spicy to me. Instead it smelled like a very old fashioned rose perfume. I could totally imagine a victorian era lady wearing this. It doesn't smell like sniffing a fresh rose out in the garden either, more like a rose that some one dried and keeps in a box full of special things. It strikes me as very romantic, but in a tragic sort of way. Like feelings of intese love and passion, turned into sorrow. It's utterly gorgeous, and damn it's some strong stuff. It doesn't help that I'm a slatherer I'm sure, but I smelled Lucy's Kiss every time I moved all day long, and could smell it on my pillow when I wok up this morning.

You know by now how roses and I get along, right? Right.

Giving this the benefit of the doubt anyway. I don't smell the slightest bit of spice either, but to me, this is a green rose. I guess there's somthing herby as well.

Don't hate it, which was rather a surprise, but didn't find it very special either.

In the bottle: Spicy rose, though it does have a very nighttime suggestion to the scent itself.

Wet: Rose. Rose with something else in there with it. I'm not sure what it might be but it does have a vaguely spice feel. I'm really bad at picking out spices.

Dry down: Mostly rose. But this is a mature rose. Rose Red is the fresh rose. Persephone is the sweet, fruity rose. But this is the slightly grown-up, ready for action rose.

Dry: Rose. A full bodied, huge, petals open to their apex rose. A very nice, mature kind of scent. This would be my sexy, grown-up rose if I wasn't already swimming in so much rose blends. It has a vague spicey note in the background as well as something sorta green but on me, as always, the rose is the winner. Only...um...uh oh. As this continues to dry it gets really rather weird on me. I'm not sure how to describe this scent other than to say that it's not pleasant on me. It's kinda like rose soap or rose incense in that those backing spices are taking over. So sad. Washing off.

this is roses gone wild...think roses, spring break....on the go a bit wonky and make me dizzy. i love my roses but there is something in this one taht irritates me.

imp: it smells almost sour at first, then I get a hint of a thin rose scent

wet: smells like rose, but still thin--almost like the smell of dried rose petals in water that have been soaking a couple of days; dried rose with a backing of sweetness that could be the beginning of rot. Damn, that's right on for Lucy Wisteria. I'm seriously impressed.

dry: the rose scent is rounder not and that hint of rot is gone. There are side note that I suppose are the spices, and they keep this from being too overpowering. It's lasted well, too; almost half a day and with my BPAL-sucking skin that's very good.

I like Lucy--I'm buying a big bottle of this.

Edited by 13bodies

In bottle: Super-creamy rose - maybe even tuberose. This is pure flower, with no hint of green. I'm not getting much in the way of spices from this, tho'.

On me: The roses are nearly overwhelming. Even with the spices, this rose - I said tuberose earlier, but I'm thinking damask or tea rose now - is just too much.

Lucy's Kiss

In the imp: rose…freshly bloomed Victorian rose. Similar to London, but less dry.

Wet on skin: oh rose, I love you! This is like a traditional English rose perfume, it's quite nostalgic. It's fresh and quite tart and wet, and yet has a slight dry or powdery aspect.

Dry on skin: this is lovely! This is really nice, soft, mature rose-and yet it has a crisp, fresh, wet and slightly green aspect to it. I think there's something else there-maybe the Victorian spices? It's not very spicy, but there is something else there-a soft, powdery smell backing up the roses.

After a while: this stays lovely and rosy, simple as that. it gets a bit more powdery, and also quite dry. This is like a rose perfume from a posh Victorian lady's boudoir!

Verdict: another beautiful rose smell from BPAL. This one has a nostalgic, old fashioned, traditional feel to it, and yet also has a certain freshness and tangyness about it, but there's also a dry scent there as well that develops as time passes. It's a gorgeous, feminine fragrance, and quite warm as well. This is another perfect example of the English rose blooming in a summer garden, or a sophisticated Victorian rose perfume.

In the bottle:

Rose and that's about it - a soft rose though

On me:

It goes on as just rose and nothing but, so I wait around to see if those spices are going to show up. After a few minutes, it's a little bit soapy smelling, so it makes me think that either there is a bit of lily in this, or rose goes a little soapy on me like lily does. I keep waiting for those spices. No spices here it seems.

Final note:

There is one thing I trust about my judgement on notes, and it's that rose isn't really for me. I am very glad that the lab generously included this as a gift imp in my order, because I love to try the things I wouldn't have picked out for myself - but this solidifies my belief that there is probably no rose scent out there for me. Not that I mind. This is pretty much just rose on me, those spices never came around. It's a very soft, gentle rose and very feminine, just not for me.

This goes on as a lovely rose scent, very much like London, with a hint of lemon on top of it, probably lemon verbena. Yes, I know it isn't listed as one of the notes. Lemon and rose is an odd combination, but nicer than I would have thought. The lemon fades and I am left with a perfectly presentable rose. No spice notes, thank goodness.

I've never met a BPAL rose I didn't like, but this does fade quite quickly on me, so no big bottle, I think. I will enjoy the imp.

in the bottle: glorious soft roses. Originally, I had this in my swap box. But, I brought it out to give it a review and have decided to keep it.

wet on skin: beautiful, velvety roses with a hint of spicy sweet lurking behind them.

dry down: not getting any sort of green scent, which others have mentioned, just a continous beautiful rose and spice blend. This reminds me of a tea rose perfume I used to wear, back in college.

Bottle (Imp): Sweet, and something I'm not recognizing right off hand.

Just On: Sweet and flowery.

An hour or two later: Soap. My skin ruins so many pretty scents.

Around 6 hours: Soap.

12 hours: Soap.

Overall: If it weren't for my skin... Ah well, there are so many other beautiful scents I can wear.

After reading other reviews: Again, roses don't work for me in this case.

This is a scent that I am glad that I had a chance to try (thanks Lab!) for the name and story alone, as I am sure I would have liked to have gotten around to it anyway.

In the vial, this was a bit floral-perfumey for my usual tastes - I got all flowers and no spice. But, it was pretty, and I plan to try every oil that crosses my threshold, so I swiped it on...

Unfortunately, I cannot really tell y'all how this smelled on my skin, because something very quickly didn't sit right with my head. I think it was a kind of powdery, flowery scent, but I do remember some herbiness that made me sort of disappointed when I had to scrub it off.

But, I am happy to report that Lucy's Kiss has found a new home where it can plant the seeds of BPAL addiction in a new family...:P

This is the perfect vampiric rose scent because of the lightly rotting blooms. There is a hint of spiciness beneath the rot that adds some depth to the scent.

I can see why this might be very appealing to others but I don't enjoy the scent of anything rotting. I will pass on Lucy's Kiss to someone else :P

Lucy would have to go out of her way for me not to like her, considering my mad love for Beth's rose notes *and* Victorian Gothic literary references!

Lucy's rose is indeed a green rose; I can't pick out any spices, but there may be a touch of resin. What it really smells like to me is La Belle Dame sans Merci, with more rose. Since I am almost out of Belle Dame and love roses, this is a highly suitable replacement. :P It does not seem terribly sad or tragic to me, nor yet super-romantic...Havisham embodies all of that for me. This is a nice everyday rose and, unlike Lucy, has very little bite.

I got this imp on my quest to find my perfect signature rose scent.

In the imp I smell rose lotion. The glycerin and rosewater lotion that my grandmother used to use. Not a bad smell, but hmmmm.

On my skin, I get a very soft pink rose smell, still a bit lotion-y. Huh. Is that bergamot I smell? I'm catching a hint of scent that reminds me of the bergamot hair oil that my mom used to help braid my hair. I'm not getting strong rose from this at all.

As it dries it gets a bit more rosey, but a very light tea rose. It turns sweet and powdery. I'm not getting any spiciness from this, but the bergamot smell I got when it was wet has faded.

This is a very sweet innocent scent to me. I think this would smell nice on a very young girl. It's pretty and delicate. I don't think it suits me, so I'll swap it.

my first BPAL try (thanks HoneyHoneyNY!) so excuse my untrained analysis but i agree with 13bodies "almost like the smell of dried rose petals in water that have been soaking a couple of days; dried rose with a backing of sweetness that could be the beginning of rot. " and add to that, incense and old-fashionedness.

wet: woah, strong churchy incense and roses

drydown: churchy incense and roses, dry, dusty, soapy

dry: mostly rosy, but also soapy, powdery, sad.

Edited to add:

the rest of the day: smells nice, but i dont know, GOTH. or something. i dont think its me. its all i have to go on for awhile so ill try it again. but not today.

Edited to add, 9/2...

I like the incensy smell of this. I pick it up and sniff it sometimes, but I dont care to wear it. I still dont want to give up on it though...

Edited by ketalady

This is a very lovely blend, a soft pure rose with just a tiny bit of spice for some complexity.

Unfortunately, as much as I love the smell of roses, this is just not "me". This scent stays absolutely true and in the abstract I appreciate its appeal. On me, it somehow remains like a layer over my skin, never truly blending in with me. I've noticed this with rose blends in general, and some other florals as well.

After about 5 or so hours though, it has faded enough where it is barely perceptable. I can dig it then, but that's really a case of too little, too late.

In the bottle: Rose, but with something sweet, and something sour.

First on: It's all roses on me. I can tell there's something else in it, but I can't smell it enough to really tell. It's a baby powder rose, but the something else just seems to be dampening the potential of the rose, not adding to it.

Drydown: The overtone of the rose has gone not quite sour, but almost there. There's jsut something in this that really doesn't agree with me.

Lucy's Kiss: ROSE! And, well, Rose. No spice for me, but that's not necessarily abbynormal since my skin amps rose.

Lucy's Kiss starts out as a rose with a breath of spice over top, and blooms into a rose with something creamy lurking underneath. The creaminess reminds me of the magnolias in Hell's Belle. Eventually, the scent dries down to a faint, sweetened rose.

There have been comparisons to London in this thread, and since I also happen to be testing London and Lucy's Kiss at the same time (though not in the same spot), I can say that London is a truer rose scent, while you can tell that other elements in the scent are leaving their mark on the rose in Lucy's Kiss.

I got this as a frimp.

After trying this one and Kali, I have decided that, for the most part, I just cannot do rose. This was nothing but a very sweet, fresh tea rose on me. No spices or anything, just sweetie rose. Pretty, but just not where I am at these days.

Gotta find this pretty little girl a lovely new home.