Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Hellfire

Hellfire, take II, from Sin and Salvation:

A scent celebrating Sir Francis Dashwood's Order of the Knights of St. Francis of Wycombe, also known as the Hellfire Club. A swirl of pipe tobacco, hot leather, ambergris, dark musk and the lingering incense smoke from their Black Mass.

First sniff: A fancy glass of expensive brandy spilled on a thick deep-red carpet beside a leather armchair in front of the wide fireplace. It smells like one of those snooty gentlemen’s clubs for snooty old rich men, complete with a butler in tailcoat and cravat.

Wearing: It’s late in the evening, the pipes have been lit and the snooty old rich men are sitting back in front of the fireplace discussing politics. Despite the snobbery, this is a strangely comforting scent – I can see my grandfather sitting in his red leather chair in his living room, the one that usually stands empty because everyone feels weird about sitting in his chair even though he’s been gone since I was twelve. I’m quite pleasantly surprised that I like it as much as I do - now that it's dried it's quite soft but somehow still very solid, a good kind of smoky, and that leather armchair will not be moved. Not an everyday scent, definitely, but one I’ll turn to now and then when I need that sort of comforting.

On my guy: As soon as it dries, it smells like I dabbed single-malt Scotch behind his ears. :P

EDIT: Please note that this thread is for the new version of Hellfire, the one that smells like leather and booze. If you're looking for the old Hellfire, which has often been described as smelling like buttered popcorn, you need to go here. (And if you've managed to get your hands on the original, be proud, 'cause it's hard to find!) --Shollin

Edited by Shollin

i got this as an extra imp in my last order. It's niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! Smoky leather with just a hint of (opium?) incence. It's one of those scents that really fits the description on the Lab page...i totally think 'black mass' and 'decadence' when i smell it. The only bad part (i'm sorry to say) is that i had to keep reapplying it throughout the day.

Shollin nailed the new Hellfire; brandy, leather, and the smoke from a pipe. It's such a creamy blend, too - the leather really does this strange, but absolutely gorgeous, smoothing of the scents.

The ambergris comes through after a bit, and this mellows Hellfire even more. It's a decadent, sated smell, and it's enchantingly disconcerting because of it.

I'm not usually a leather fan, so this one is on my "perhaps" list. I don't think I'll let go of the imp, though, as this is intriguing and a definite possibility for repeated wear.

First Impression: A sinister smoky, masculine version of O.

Second Impression: O's sadistic male twin...a leather-clad master of the chamber ready for action oozing smoke, booze, amber and musk with a touch of sweetness perhaps to catch his waiting slave off guard. :P

Final Analysis: I didn't think it got more sexual than O, but this is. I want my husband to wear this, I've driven myself wild with it tonight. I can't wait until he returns.

this smells nothing like the old hellfire, but exactly how i thought it WOULD smell. if you don't like the smell of a fine cigar shop, brandy, or leather this is NOT the scent for you.

Well, I thought I wouldnt lie this one at first... it was really strong at first and liqour smelling, which I hate. Then it softened into somethin' yummy and sweet. A bit like a soft, vanilla cigar shop... with night caps spilling at the door. I dont know how else to explain it! Good stuff! But then again, I have like 6-7 scents on me right now, and they ALLLLL smel unreal!

First Impression:  A sinister smoky, masculine version of O.

Second Impression:  O's sadistic male twin...a leather-clad master of the chamber ready for action oozing smoke, booze, amber and musk with a touch of sweetness perhaps to catch his waiting slave off guard. :D

Final Analysis:  I didn't think it got more sexual than O, but this is.  I want my husband to wear this, I've driven myself wild with it tonight.  I can't wait until he returns.

I put this on tonight and layered a bit of O on top...

AMAZING!! Andrabell, you were right on about this one!

:P

The jury is in and the hubby and i agree that this smells like baby powder and bandaids on me.

Color me with the disappointed crayon. :P

Oh gods Hellfire is just awesome. Definatly a must buy. I can wear this, my old man can wear this even my son can wear this. I love the Pipe Tobacco scent this carries with the musk it is just thought provoking I love it. Its sweet in a tobacco kind a way. Its pretty strong too, a little goes a long way and I have to hold back on putting it on everything because I only have an imp! Its a wonderful scent.

You MUST try this if you like musky smoky scents!

Wow! Hellfire smells exactly like its description. On my wrist, it is a dark whorl of tobacco, musk, and smoke. I felt completely wrong wearing this to work;)

This scent is also amazing because it continues to go strong after a good twleve hours of wear.

It is very masculine and rich.

I am not sure if it suits my tastes for daily wear but I will definitely try it a few more times before I decide.

Wet, this is a very musky/incensey smell on my skin. As it dries down, the sweet tobacco scent and the slap of leather come out, and it's really exquisite. Dry, subtly sweet, and smoky, and even though it's got tobacco in it, the smokiness is not that of tobacco smoke... it's an incensy smoke smell; the tobacco is most definitely the smell of tobacco *before* it has been lit. I received this as an extra, and even though I love incensy, exotic scents, I would have never thought to order this, because it sounded so severe, so masculine, that I was almost frightened to think of what this would smell like - I was certain it would be horrid. Needless to say, I was very, very wrong. Although the notes in this are definitely masculine, and this would smell sexier than hell on a man, I feel very comfortable wearing it myself, and I generally stay away from anything traditionally "masculine" smelling. This is sexy but a very subtly sexual scent. It's very sophisticated and understated. It reminds me of somebody who comes from old money and "good breeding" and is genteel and mannerly and very proper on the surface but who is lecherous as hell underneath it all. It has good staying power, but it does stay close to my skin - not much waft.

I tried Ebonykawai's suggestion of layering O on top of this and the lecher underneath just unleashed itself. I want to lick my wrist, the combination is so potently charged with sexuality.

Oh yes... This is the scent of being ravished in October woods by a man in leather. Sweet leaves, smoke, coffee with a touch of irish cream, leather, clear air.

Whoo-wee, this is strong. Completely overpowered Scarecrow on my other wrist. This is refined tobacco, with a bit of worn leather mixed in. This really does make me think of a Gentleman's Club of old (not of the stripping variety :P), maybe in books by Edith Wharton (may be getting my author's mixed up) or where Sherlock Holmes might hang out to read a book. Very masculine.

at first: this was an extra oil that was thrown in and i never would have chosen it for myself. it is pretty interesting. it's hard to pick out the individual notes, but i can definitely see how this would be the scent during a ceremony of some sort.

on: this is weird. definitely like something burning. i can smell the leather, which always makes me feel uncomfortable (just look at my review of de sade.), but the incense and pipe smoke are there, too. this is masculine, and not in a good way.

8 minutes later: well, apparently this is going on the isabel (the cat) list of approved scents. she just started licking my arm. what a weirdo.

1.5 hours later: this has really sweetened on my skin. it's very nice.

3.5 hour later: apparently, isabel knows something because this turned into something pretty close to o on me. weird. i can't see anything that they have in common.

overall: nothing to interesting to report. i don't like the scent at first, an, aside form the o stage, it isn't very interesting on me. this is one for the swap pile.

im very confused - im not sure if the Hellfire imp i got in a swap is the new or the old, but its like neither, wearing it its alot like...stale doublemint gum. with some spice behind it. its really weird, i kind of like it, its like all high spearmint notes and a dribble of background spice. nothing much else. Im going to order an imp from the lab with m next order to taste test...i want so badly to smell the ceremony!

oh yeah, this is nice....warm, classy and sexy!

I smell pipe tobacco, brandy, cognac, smoke and warm leather tones..

I see red leather chairs pulled close to a smoldering brick fireplace, brandy snifters and Browning poetry....

A scent both my husband and I can smell good in. Definitly a keeper!

Hellfire is one of the most unusual BPAL oils I have tried. It really does smell like a place but somehow I love wearing it as a perfume. I especially adore it on my boyfriend but he doesn't enjoy it as much as I do (it is kind of wild and he is more conservative). Anyway, yeah, what just about everyone else has said. This is a wealthy gentleman's club, leather wingback chairs, a fire roaring in a big stone fireplace, expensive pipe tobacco and brandy snifters. This oil is an experience.

Hellfire to me is closley related to Loviatar. I love it! :P I cant think of anything that has not been already said except maybe it is incensy and warm. I can smell leather and smoke pretty good. The drydown is eroticaly enticing and sweet. I might get a 10ml later on. :D

Edited by Reinaluna

Hellfire is a scent I'd never have picked out for myself but as I got a freebie from the lab I'm so thankful because I'd have missed out!

First sniff

Oh god. Tobacco and vanilla maybe? It smells like something a really decadent and lovely man would smell like. Just marvelous.

When wet

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. The Leather pops out on myskin and invokes images of a man sitting in a large leather chair by a fire, reading a book while the wind blows outside. Just lovely. The musk lightly plays at my senses as well.

Drydown

Like a lovely smoked pipe kissed with something sweet. This would smell *divine* on a male.

Aftermath

Hellfire is a scent I would never have picked on my own but the lab once again shows me that they know me better when it comes to scents. While its a bit too masculine for me (I prefer his wicked counterpart, Perversion) this is a scent I will be using on days I need something comforting and safe. I also will be holding onto it should I manage to get a boyfriend. He will bathe in this *nod*

Mmm, I'm loving this scent. It smells like black cherry pipe tobacco and leather sofas. It is masculine, but not in an aftershave way. I'm not afraid of masculine scents, so I adore it. Definitely a big bottle for me!

Sorry to say, not a favorite of mine. On me this developed into a scent that was exactly like a home with pets, one that isn't cleaned often enough, combined with the scent of cigarettes before they're lit.

What a shame I didn't get the scent notes other people got when they wore it.

Ah well, can't love all of them (although I do try).

Hellfire

It's deep, dark, and very very sweet. Like a mix of tobacco and honey.

I think that, as is characteristic for me, my skin has absorbed all of the dark notes in Hellfire and only reflects the lighter ones. I think this one would be excellent on a really cold day, when everything is grey and windy and severe. It would really be a lovely contrast, every warming to the spirit.

Edited by glampyre

Hellfire

In the vial this smells sweet and light - I almost wondered if there had been a mix-up with the label. After applying, at first, this reminds me of pine resin and pine smoke - light, heady, resiny, increasingly smoky. The smoky resiny leathery sweetness builds over time, it's wonderful. After about an hour the ambergris comes out - the note that I love so much from Masquerade. I love it, its very sexy. I don't get the creaminess or the brandy, overall this is not heavy on me although it does have a lot of impact. It also has incredible staying power on me - more than twelve hours later, it's sweet and smoky, moody and sexy.

I'm noticing some leatheriness that I like, after an hour or two of drydown, but the initial stages of this one are too "fiery" for me. Rather than smelling tobacco, I get a slightly acrid scent reminiscent of those scorching summer days when there's wildfire smoke in the air. Gave me that same unsettling feeling. In that sense it's an impressive accomplishment--the Lab is always great at capturing an "experience"!--but it probably isn't one I'll hang onto. There are other leathery and tobacco-y scents I love, which I can rely on instead.

well goodess me this is fantastic - love it. I was a bit worried by the leather description but it's just beautiful.

I put it on 4 hours ago but I can still smell it - I'm off to try O on top.......