Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ishtar

BPAL Patchouli - there's nothing else like it

Vixen and Greed are quite compelling, and Sin is the closest to straight up patchouli. I would be careful with Urd, if the grape goes bad you might scare her off. :P .

Luperci is by far and away my favourite patchouli blend, so might break the LE rule for that one :D . Plus it's not that hard to find Luperci on the secondary market. Mme Moriarty is another good patchouli blend from the LE catelouge.

Of all the BPALs I've tried with patchouli most of my favorites are LEs, but my favorite GC is Tezcatlipoca.

Of the LEs I love Spanked, Red Phoenix, Mme. Moriarty, Schwarzer Mond, and The Masque.

I'm of that group where Snake Oil turns to Play-Doh on me, so I have the same reaction to Vixen.

Aureus, Anne Bonny and The Coiled Serpent are the blends that smell like pure patchouli to me.

These scents smell like patchouli blended with something else: Urd (grape), Fenris Wolf (musk), Vixen (ginger and orange), Sin (spice and sandalwood), Hellion (plum).

You've gotten lots of good recs in this thread; have fun experimenting!

i just have to pipe in and say that i just tried depraved for the first time, and i am amazed at how fantastically this combination of fruit and patchouli works. in fact, i may hunt down other bpal's that make use of this combo and hope that i have even more success. :P

Urd terrifies me. I smelled like a hippie drinking grape Koolaid. My problem with it wasn't the patchouli, though -- it was the grape. I don't like fruity scents, and that is some strong purple grape!!

Verchneryaya has patchouli? Really?? Huh. I couldn't smell it at ALL.

I'm in the "I like patchouli but it doesn't always like me" camp. My problem is often the other notes that the patchouli is blended with. Snake Oil, Sin, Mr. Jacquel -- my skin turned them into boiled potatoes. (Then later my skin started turning Snake Oil into screamingly strong baby powder.) Anne Bonny and Mme Moriarty? Pencils. Al-Shairan? Juicy Fruit gum.

I assume Green Tree Viper has patchouli in it, because it has Snake Oil in it -- I love Green Tree Viper, though I can't smell the patchouli (I can't smell the Snake Oil). I love Tiresias, but again, I can't pick out the patchouli. Geek, same deal.

For patchouli blends that actually smell something like patchouli -- I like Luperci, but I looove Old Scratch. I really ought to get around to ordering a bottle. It's smooth and round and deep and gorgeous.

I used to hate the smell of Patchouli, but now I've become somewhat obsessed with it. I ordered a bottle of Burial and I'm hoping it will be everything I think it is. Anyone know it, own it, like it? Any other recomendations of other scents from BPAL that include Patchouli?

Also, anything you would recommend for stress relief.

Hi Meshuganah - welcome to the forum! If you don't find what you're looking for in the previous posts in this thread, give us a few more ideas for what you're seeking in a patchouli scent and I have no doubt that you'll get a full run-down from our helpful members.

As far as relieving stress, the blends discussed in this thread are likely to help - feel free to bump it by posting your specific needs and the discussion will pick up again.

When I smell Burial I get more cool earth and juniper....but if I think about it, the patchouli is there too.....at first I loved Burial, then I went through an anti-juniper phase (which I'm now thankfully over), now I love it again.

I know that patchouli ages well....I have a 15ml bottle of patchouli essential oil that's a few months old, and I can already smell a difference. Brand new patchouli smells greener and 'new', and as it ages it gets smoother, more mellow.....or so I've heard (and it seems to be true).

Malediction is very heavy on patchouli and vetiver IMO, and I have one imp that I tucked away to age for a while. I may have to pull it out and find out how it's doing. : ) It's at least 6 months old now....

I always wonder if there's a big difference between Beth's patchouli oils and patchouli essential oil. Are they the same thing? I realize she uses accords for some blends....not actual essential oils. I always get a little confused on the subject (and I know there are other discussions here about that...).

I bet there are differences from batch to batch &/or brand to brand even with patchouli essential oil - anything that comes from plants can vary wildly depending on the soil where the plants are grown, the part of the world where it's grown and other environmental factors, the cultivar of the plant, the method used to produce the oil, and I'm sure other variables I'm not even considering. I agree with your observation on the aging of patchouli, fsp - I think it gets yummier and yummier with time.

Just perusing the patchouli blends in the BPAL repertoire, I found in addition to "patchouli" with no modifier that several types have been included in the Lab's descriptions: red patchouli, Indonesian red patchouli, Indonesian patchouli, black patchouli, aged black patchouli, East African black patchouli, Indonesian black patchouli, Haitian patchouli, North African patchouli, and patchouli leaf. :P There definitely has to be a difference in intensity and smoothness, I think, between different types - whatever is in Old Scratch and in Oberon seems very soft, whereas I'd be willing to bet the patchouli in Anne Bonny (red, I think) is a good bit stronger so it can play along with the sandalwood and frankincense in that blend.

It would be fun to get to sniff all those varieties, like a wine tasting for your nose.

Is there a slightly kinder, slightly gentler version of Malediction? Most of the recs in this thread seem to be for very subtle patchoulis, which isn't quite what I'm after. I like Malediction, really I do, but I'd like it even better gentled down just a notch so I don't stomp around all day p*ssed off when I'm wearing it! I tried layering Malediction with O (which is hella sweet on me) once and she just chewed her up and spit her out.

You might want to give Umbra a try. I need to try Malediction again, because patchouli is so frequently devoured by other notes that I'm not sure there is such a thing as too much patchouli for me, which is why I often just wear it straight up. :P

ETA: You might also want to try Sin or Masquerade, which is my favorite BPAL patchouli, actually the only one I really love aside from the single note.

Edited by minilux

You might want to give Umbra a try. I need to try Malediction again, because patchouli is so frequently devoured by other notes that I'm not sure there is such a thing as too much patchouli for me, which is why I often just wear it straight up. :P

ETA: You might also want to try Sin or Masquerade, which is my favorite BPAL patchouli, actually the only one I really love aside from the single note.

Thanks so much! I went to add your recommendations to my list of "next to try" and saw that Umbra was already there. Now to add Sin and Masquerade!

Masquerade is patchouli for patchouli haters. I can't stand it normally, but the orange blossom mellows it out and makes it full of win.

I am in lust/love with the patchouli Beth used in Crypt Queen. It is so smooth and velvety and feminine.

I just got my bottle of Goblin, and I'm in loooove. I wouldn't say that it's a patchouli for patchouli haters, you do have to like patchouli to like this one. I can't really smell the coconut or the benzoin, to me this is just a patchouli single note with a hazelnutty and creamy undertone (probably the coconut and the benzoin :D ).

The funny thing is, from reading the reviews I had already resigned myself to having to sell the bottle (or worse, being stuck with it forever). Some people made it sound like you might as well write "dirty hippie ass" across your forehead.

But no, this is an earthy, unsweet, refined patchouli... Who knew? Goblin love. :P

I'm thankful for this thread.

I'm new around here, and Patchouli terrifies me, because I have, historically, associated it with smelly, unbathed hippies.

You have given me new hope for the scent, and reason to give BPAL patchouli blends a shot. I'm glad to have my eyes (and nostrils) open to experiencing Patchouli as something better than my experiences have demonstrated.

Some of us hippies bathe! We love soap! And cleanliness! And natural earth scents applied to clean skin! Who is out there giving us a bad name by not bathing?...I'll kick their hippie asses!

:P

....Who is out there giving us a bad name by not bathing?...I'll kick their hippie asses!

Um... I'm not sure what his name is, but he works at the Whole Foods in my neighborhood. :D

....Who is out there giving us a bad name by not bathing?...I'll kick their hippie asses!

Um... I'm not sure what his name is, but he works at the Whole Foods in my neighborhood. :D

:D

I am also very new to the whole BPAL experience. Matter of fact, my second BPAL purchase has turned me into a great fan of patchouli:

PIRATE MOON

From the description: "Red musk, ambergris, coconut palm, red sandalwood, balsam, date, warm leather, tobacco, ebony, lingum vitae wood, pandanus grass, an' a touch o' lime."

Nope, no leather, no tobacco, and no lime....

On me, a very pretty, light patchouli. I was pleasantly surprised to find out it smells great on me.

I'm a little nervous about patchouli. I tried Aureus, which a lot of people said was heavy on the patchouli and it made me sick and now I'm shy of trying anymore lab blends with patchouli in them- and there are tons of them! I don't want to cut myself off from so many smells. :P

I tend to amp sweetness a lot- honey tends to go a little sickly and some things are just too sweet and make me sick. What are some blends with patchouli that probably won't do that?

Oh how I loves Mr. Jacquel. Most patchouli gives me a headache but Mr. Jacquel + Me = Lurve.

I love the combo of patchouli, black tea and fig leaf that Beth used in the L'Autunno room spray (but with my wonky itchy skin, I wouldn't even dream of spraying something that's not skin safe on myself, don't worry :P ) I am definitely loving the tea-patchouli in Clemence, too. I hope this combo gets used more often!

Iambe does list white tea and patchouli among its notes, but there's something in Iambe that clashes horribly with my chemistry - I think it either has to be the gladiola or it's something that isn't included in the description, because everything else is pretty much on my love-it list. Must be something potent to ruin Sudanese Amber for me!

Okay, so I just discovered through Lush's shower gels (suspected in Tramp, confirmed in Blue Skies) that patchouli on my fiance is like naughty evil catnip to me, and I want to douse him in it. :P Any suggestions for yummy guy-friendly patchouli scents? Pretty please?

So we meet again, Lady Luckless :P Guys seem to have ridiculously perfect chemistry for patchouli and it's always fun to enable.

Masquerade: It's a nice, gender neutral patchouli that tends a bit towards masculine. Patchouli, ambergris, orange blossom and carnation. Fresh it's a bit more orange blossom than anything else, but the patchouli ages really well in this and it's smooth and very sexy.

Voodoo: An interesting, complex, sensual blend. Patchouli, vetiver, vanilla, pine, and a few other components. Personally I find it quite strong and commanding.

War: Patchouli, ginger and red musk (maybe blood musk, too?). If he's a Gaiman fan, it's definitely worth a try. The ginger is more of a savoury ginger than a sweet ginger. It's a strange blend, though--definitely grab a decant before you splurge on a bottle.

Bloodlust: Drop dead sexy. Dragon's blood, vetiver, patchouli, red musk and cinnamon. I think it's an underappreciated gem in the BPAL catalogue--it's simple, evocative and an amazing personal power scent.

Tezcatlipoca: Patchouli. Leather. Cocoa. I think that's all you need to know.

Lust: Sort of a softer, more gentle Bloodlust. If he's not one for the vetiver, this might be a good blend to try.

Namaste: It's got some floral components, but it just captures that whole "LUSH store" essence. Definitely a good try for a slightly lighter and brighter patchouli.