Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ishtar

BPAL Patchouli - there's nothing else like it

The first one that comes to mind is Umbra. The patchouli is strong, but it melds so beautifully with the cinnamon.

Depraved might work - again with the melding, the patchouli and apricot complement each other very well.

i like Ravenous. though i can definitely smell the patchouli. (An utterly feral, thoroughly rousing perfume. Red patchouli sweetened by orange blossom.)

also

Tisiphone

The Avenger of Murder

Oleander with black patchouli, ylang ylang, and neroli.

I do like patchouli....I love smelling like a smelly sweaty death bunny. I did a search for patchouli on the bpal site and hadn't realized there were so many results....44!! And I haven't even smelled most of them. You have inspired me to try more.

However, I don't really get any patchouli from the Caterpillar, although it's there. It's mostly jasmine at first, then calms down and some of the other notes come out. No patchouli, though, that I can smell. So, if you don't like jasmine, I guess that doesn't really help. *shrugs*

I can't stand patchouli either, I swear it reminds me of a hippy shop.

Two scents that I've worn where it didn't stink to high heaven on me - Red Phoenix & Tweedledum. In both cases, it was earthy-spicy, didn't stink, made an otherwise good scent into a great one. I think Tweedledum would've been too fruity w/o patchouli. The key is to age both scents, Red Phoenix aged is wonderful. Tweedledum is only about 4-5 months old, but it's definitely getting there.

Edited by oatmealneko

Most patchouli blends don't work for me at all, but Mme. Moriarty does, so maybe my advice won't be too offbase. I've discovered a few patchouli blends that don't make me smell like a musty, dusty box in a hippie shop . . . The problem is that they're usually expensive!

* Psychic Trading Post goblins sent me Trick # 1, which smells drop-dead sexy on me . . . No mustiness at all.

* Trick # 2, while not quite The Sexy, was at least not musty.

* The Salon's Two Monsters was very appealing, even with vetiver--another note that is particularly tricky for me.

GC suggestions might be Tezcatlipoca, where the "deep cocoa" seems to make the blend. It didn't have the mustiness either. Oberon also had interesting things happening, such as white musk.

I've had less success with other GC blends, particularly Anne Bonny, The Coiled Serpent, Masquerade, Omen, Voodoo, Malice, Nephilim, Clio, Verchenyaya, Wanton, Malediction, and Lust.

I guess my "miracles" come with a price tag. :P

I just came into revelation myself!

c/p bits from the Rec section:

TWEEDLEDUM: Absurd! Green mango, fig, patchouli and green tea.

The patchouli is barely noticeable, or rather, it's noticeable in that it gives the fruitiness its structure. It's a sweet, green, bulging fruit with tea scent that twines around a thin strand of light, sweet patchouli. I hate patchouli and I love this scent. <3

I do like patchouli but, still, I think that Sin (Thouroughly corrupted: amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon) is very softened by the amber and spicied by the cinnamon, and it is definitely not musty, at least on me :P

Cordia, have you tried Vixen? It's a pretty strong blend, and the patchouli in there isn't exactly hidden, but...there's something about it in that blend that is so smooth and almost buttery. It's not rough or "hippiesh." I know what you mean about "sweaty" patchouli -- I get that note sometimes from blends like Aureus, The Coiled Serpent and Urd. But I've never gotten that feeling from Vixen.

Another one you could try is Spellbound -- it's a rich scent with florals as well, and the patchouli isn't the "sweaty" variety. And I second the rec of The Caterpillar as well. Good luck in your search.

I've never had any luck with patchouli, in fact I went through the GC and mentally X'd out all the patchouli scents, UNTIL.....URD! I received it as a frimp from an ebay purchase, and it turned out to be a gorgeous surprise! :P

Anne Bonny is probably a good bet, and Hetairae if you can wear honey blends. Masquerade is also lovely -- the orange blossom/neroli is the first note, but then it ripens into spicy patchouli-carnation yumminess. Also Umbra, Urd, and Sri Lanka, which is like a very good patchouli-based incense, rich and mysterious.

Mantis--there's just something about the way the amber and red patchouli blend that's really wonderful and patchouli usually totally ruins a scent for me.

I do like patchouli but, still, I think that Sin (Thouroughly corrupted: amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon) is very softened by the amber and spicied by the cinnamon, and it is definitely not musty, at least on me :P

Oh! I forgot Sin! The lab frimped me with that in my last order . . . I'm not keeping it just because I have other oils in the same vein, but boy was it a nice surprise. :D

Wanton.

Patchouli and I don't have a good relationship, but Wanton works v. well on me. Granted, it's a strong rose scent - not sure if that's something you'd like or not - but the patchouli behaves and stays very quiet.

That is the only patchouli blend I've found that I can wear. (so far.)

ETA: Also, Phantom Calliope! Mmm.

Edited by maribouquet

Patchouli and I tend not to be the best of friends. Most perfumes with it in, whether oil or spray, don't generally work on my skin. With that said, there are exceptions.

In the BPAL world ...

Tezcatlipoca is the first exception. Although I can tell the patchouli is there, it's nicely balanced with the cocoa, incense, and flowers that I get. (What leather? *grins*)

Sed Non Satiata is second. This is a very sensual perfume for me with the patchouli there, under the others. But, then, my skin amps up the sweetness of any of BPAL's oils that contain honey, so it's not a surprise that this is a largely sweet blend on me.

Snake Oil is third. I tested this once, aged, and instantly and totally fell head over heels in love with it. It's spicy and rich and beautiful. Although you mentioned Snake Oil, I don't know if you tested it new or aged -- you might want to try the other, if you only tested one. There's a major difference between this aged and this new, I've found.

Vechernyaya is fourth (and the last, for now). This is a musky, perfumey oil on me and quite lovely.

I'm entertaining hopes about Mme. Moriarty, though I haven't picked up a bottle of it yet. I have a suspicion that might do what Snake Oil does on me, though, and work aged but not new.

Hope that this helps! I know how it feels to long for an oil or a note to work on your skin and to be disappointed every time.

OK, I'm not going to suggest a specific scent to you because I love patchouli so much that I like to wear pure patchouli, straight up. But I'll share my experience with jasmine, which is normally a nemesis of mine -- I can wear Siren because in addition to jasmine, it has both ginger and vanilla in it, notes that I really like. I'd suggest that you look at the BPAL patchouli blends and see if there's any with other components that you like. The patchouli may run over them like a Mack truck when you wear them, but I think it's worth a try...

And for what it's worth, OK, I lied, here comes the name of a specific scent! :P I love Mme. Moriarty, and that's patchouli leaf in that blend. I think it's just a little brighter and fresher smelling, and there's some fruitiness in Mme. that you might enjoy.

i don't like patchouli much either, but once in a great while a patchouli blend works on me. of those, i recommend:

ravenous

desire

count dracula

sin

i think i can smell it most in desire, with my skin chemistry, but for some reason it doesn't bother me in that scent. in the others i just don't seem to notice it that much!

Iambe, all the way. I can't do gardenia, rose OR patchouli, and it still works on me. Try it.

I have a problem with the lab's patchouli. I want to love it, and do love straight patchouli on others. For me, even a sniff of a BPAL blend with patchouli makes my throat tickle :P I've tried alot of them too.

I have had success with these blends, thankfully: Imp, Sin, Lust, Snake Oil, Malice. These are all pretty heavy scents though!!

I can second (or third) Tezcatipoca - I can barely detect the patchouli in it, it's a very warm scent and I like it a lot. Also Tweedledum, which is sweet, and Vixen which I really like.

On me, The Caterpillar is mondo dirt-sweaty though, same with Ravenous. Sin also is patchouli-heavy although it's overwhelmed by the spice.

I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to get back in here, but thank you all for the replies! I'm going to try to cover this basically in the order the recommendations came, though I may flub up here and there- and I'm also going to be doing catalog scents first and then LE's.

Let me first try to summarize the length of my post, because this sucker is long. Here's the short list of catalog scents I'm most interested in trying:

Tweedledum, Iambe, Depraved, Oberon, Vixen, Ravenous, Masquerade, Desire and maybe Sri-Lanka. (If I had to choose a six-pack, I'd cut out Sri-Lanka, Desire and I guess Iambe... that was tough, though.) I have an imp of Urd on the way already! LE's I'll be watching for: Mme. Moriarty and Red Phoenix.

And here's the rest! Thanks for all the help, guys!

Tweedledum is on my must try list, because I'm hoping the sweetness will balance out the patchouli. Plus, I really liked Tweedledee.

I'm fully convinced that I must try Iambe, as well. I tried and tried not to be a floral girl, but I think I might be, because this one sounds really pretty.

Depraved has apricot, which means I must try it. Umbra sounds like the spices might make it wearable, but it's not on the top of my list.

Ravenous is appealing because of the orange blossom, and because it's red patchouli- which, I believe, is sweeter than black. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, though!

Tisiphone makes me nervous because of the oleander, and neroli is hit or miss with me. However, ylang ylang with patchouli has potential.

I don't have a problem with jasmine, so the Caterpillar is on my list now. The complexity of the notes bodes well for it, I hope! Plus there were several recommendations for it! I'm generally okay with vetiver, but I'm a tinge concerned about it reacting badly with the patchouli.

I am going to try to get around to testing some of the Salon- so far I've only gotten to Lucretia, but I'm thinking there may be others I'd want to try before Two Monsters- who knows, though? The notes make it seem quite unfriendly, as well.

Tezcatlipoca came up a lot, and I had forgotten all about it having any patchouli in it. I tested it in July, and I really loved the way the scents came together. The cocoa was perfection, but it ended up smelling really musty.

Because of the white musk, I really want to try Oberon. I don't know if I even noticed it had patchouli in it when it went on my wishlist, heh! :P

Sin makes me nervous because of the sandalwood being listed so prominently on top of the patchouli, but it's worth a try.

Vixen is one that's at the top of my list because it has orange and ginger in it! It sounds lovely, for sure.

Does Spellbound have patchouli in it? It's not a listed note, but if it's in there as an undercurrent, all the better!

I have an imp of Urd coming to me, and I am very excited about that. It doesn't sound like my kind of scent, but that doesn't mean it's not. Plus, everyone needs some fate in their lives.

I have an imp of Anne Bonny that I need to try.

Something really soured the honey in Hetairae and it just didn't work on me.

Masquerade sounds perfect for me. It's right up there with Vixen.

Sri-Lanka sounds yummy and unique.

Mantis was okay on me, but nothing wonderful either. I'll have to give it another try.

Sed Non Satiata has the potential of being very good or very bad, as I look over the notes. Still, it has cognac, and I'm always interested in trying blends with cognac!

Wanton sounds like it has potential, though it's not high on my list of things to try- I'm still unsure about roses, for some reason.

I may have to look for both aged and new Snake Oil and give it one more go- although I'm pretty sure the Snake Oil I tried was aged.

I tried Verchernyaya recently, and it was soapy mcsoaperson. It wasn't deadly sweat bunnies, or whatever it was I said, but it wasn't something I'd want to wear regularly, either. I think poppy is a note I can't pull off.

Desire has caught my eye, and I think it is on my most wanted list, as well.

Imp, as I recall, wasn't horrible on me. It was like a sweeter version of Hollywood Babylon with less of the overpowering musk. I may have to try it again!

Lust is flashing warning lights galore at me. It's got three danger notes and one good one- but then again, Euphrosyne had no business working, sooo... I can't rule anything out. :D

Limited Editions that were mentioned: I've tried Mme. Moriarty, and I liked it, but didn't love it. I may have to give her another go, however! I also tried the Phantom, and did NOT like it. I'm not sure what it was, it just didn't do it for me at all.

Trick 1 and 2- I haven't tried Trick 1, because there are other things I'd prefer to swap for with the things people are seeking in exchange that I own. (Did that sentence make sense at all? Heh.) Trick 2 was sweaty death bunnies- well, musty death bunnies, anyway.

Red Phoenix is one I will have to keep a lookout for!

I'm with cordia in finding a patchouli scent that works.

So far, I've got Lust and Namaste, which worked. However, both are/were in the Like category but not something I was crazy about.

Voodoo ended up smelling like a root beer float. :D

Wilde was a lavender cologne for a guy.

Imp, Desire, Hetairae, Sed Non Satiata, the Caterpillar were straight up patchouli.

Greed ended up smelling like sweaty money on my skin. I mean, it was the scent of money... but I didn't want to smell like that! :D

Mme. Moriarty ended up smelling like a sweaty male! :P

So if cordia doesn't mind the occasional hijacks, I'll also post here. Instead of repeating, since I've taken several of the suggestion given to her and trying to find something that works on my skin too!