Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ishtar

BPAL Patchouli - there's nothing else like it

Malediction is almost pure patchouli on me and I love it. :D

The Coiled Serpent is also good; on me it smells like pure black patchouli, but I'm pretty sure there's some frankincense or myrrh or something in there, too. :D

Anne Bonny wasn't patchouli-like at all on me, it was pure sandalwood, but it's still gorgeous. :P

...she really wants more patchouli.

Have you ever tried imp? It has patchouli, and I really like it. It's not the headshop patchouli smell, but much more wearable. Maybe your friend wants something stronger, though.

edited to add: Malediction IS super-patchouli. I just got mine out and tried it. It's the strong stuff!

Edited by glampyre

Can any of you guys/girls give me some recommendations for BPAL 'fresh' patchouli blends? Something on the lighter side, not dark, pungent, or murky? A blend in which the patchouli note isn't swallowed up by other basenotes?

I love all patchoulis (including those strong ones), but right now I seem to be craving patchouli on the lighter side.

Oh, man...if only Virgo were still available! I think it's exactly what you're describing.

Otherwise, I would recommend Masquerade or Ravenous. They both have orange blossom (I think), which makes them sort of bright and glittery - but the patchouli is definitely still prominent.

has anyone mentioned Urd?

It's my favorite BPAL scent, I'll pimp this to the end of time :P

It's mixed with a fresh, vineyard grape smell which balances the black and red patchouli very nicely. It's not overwhelming and doesn't give me a headache.

I've been looking for the perfect patchouli scent for years, and Urd is the one.

Well, I can definitely now confirm that Masquerade is a wonderful patchouli. I'm on the hunt now for an imp of The Coiled Serpent....

has anyone mentioned Urd?

It's my favorite BPAL scent, I'll pimp this to the end of time :D

It's mixed with a fresh, vineyard grape smell which balances the black and red patchouli very nicely. It's not overwhelming and doesn't give me a headache.

I've been looking for the perfect patchouli scent for years, and Urd is the one.

I've been working my way through imps of the BPAL patchoui scents (thanks to a lab order and members kind enough to sell/swap) and I have to agree that Urd is the most nuanced, fabulous patchouli-based scent. I think Tencatlipcoa and Coiled Serpernt are really, really nice, and I also like Depraved, but Urd simply rules. I will join CourtneyLynne in pimping Urd to the end of time! :P

valentina :D

Vechernyaya is also a very nice patchouli blend. It's got three white musks...so it helps if you like white musk. But if you do, and you like subtle patchouli, it's gorgeous. I absolutely adore it.

This is going to be a weird request, but I'm seeking a patchouli blend that doesn't have a very strong throw. I want to give a bottle to a friend for Christmas, and she loves patchouli, but the people she lives with can't stand it at all.

Is it just the patchouli that throws them off, or scents with too much throw entirely?

The first scent which came to mind was Tezcatlipoca as the patchouli in that blend is very understated, but still has enough kick for the patchouli lover to enjoy. However, it does have quite a bit of cocoa-leather throw for the first hour or so...

Mme. Moriarty has been the most positive encounter I've had with patchouli to date! Though it does have a rather strong throw, it's so well blended that it's just a part of this greater gorgeousness.

Since I'm always so nosy about butting in and giving advice about scents to try, I thought I might ask for some advice, myself. :D

Patchouli hates me. It wishes I would die, a dirty, sweaty death. It wants to strangle me. And yet, somehow, I still long for its approval. :P I guess we all do, in some way or another. Anyhoo...

I've found florals for people who can't do florals, and vanilla that smells divine on me, and I've even discovered the occasional sandalwood combination that works on me. Has anyone found a patchouli blend where it's not just that you can't really smell the patchouli (which is what Mme. Moriarty ended up doing on me, more or less- but it's the closest I've come), but that it behaves and smells beautiful where it would otherwise make you a smelly, sweaty death-bunny? Any patchouli blends out there for people who can't do patchouli? I know that some notes are just out of the question, but I would love to find a patchouli I can wear.

Here's where I'd ask the poster what all patchouli blends she's tried. Um, yeah. I don't know, exactly. Snake Oil, Voodoo, Namaste, Mantis (which I don't recall being heavy on the patchouli, really), Malediction, and probably others. Sorry for the lack of help there, guys!

Edited by cordia

I really really strongly dislike patchouli. Yet, Iambe works on me. It 's not my fave scent, but it works. Sudanese amber, patchouli, rose, gardenia, gladiola and white tea.