Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ishtar

BPAL Patchouli - there's nothing else like it

Is the Body Shop oil just straight patchouli?

The notes listed with the product description were not very helpful:

Top notes: warm

Middle notes: herbaceous, patchouli

Base notes: earthy

The search function on the Lab website brings up 70 blends with patchouli that are currently available. But in most of them the patchouli is just a complimentary note or a base note.

http://www.bpal.org/search/index.php?term=...=1&search=1

It might really help if you could find out what other notes she likes and dislikes, so you know what direction to take - or not to take - when you chose Bpal scents for her, because they will not exactly be straight patchouli.

If all else fails - if the Body Shop oil is straight patchouli you can get her a bottle of high quality patchouli essential oil in addition to some bpal imps. It is fairly inexpensive, even in high quality, and is supposed to improve drastically with age, it gets considerably more mellow and smooth with time.

From what i know, The Body Shop is just Patchuli, i could be mistaken, though. She doesn't really wear anything else besides that, so it's hard for me to tell what other notes she would like. To me, hers smells like dark and smokey, almost. I wouldn't even be able to detect if there were other notes in her oil.

Thank you so much to everybody who has answered so far. You guys are really helping me out!!

Is the Body Shop oil just straight patchouli?

The notes listed with the product description were not very helpful:

Top notes: warm

Middle notes: herbaceous, patchouli

Base notes: earthy

The search function on the Lab website brings up 70 blends with patchouli that are currently available. But in most of them the patchouli is just a complimentary note or a base note.

http://www.bpal.org/search/index.php?term=...=1&search=1

It might really help if you could find out what other notes she likes and dislikes, so you know what direction to take - or not to take - when you chose Bpal scents for her, because they will not exactly be straight patchouli.

If all else fails - if the Body Shop oil is straight patchouli you can get her a bottle of high quality patchouli essential oil in addition to some bpal imps. It is fairly inexpensive, even in high quality, and is supposed to improve drastically with age, it gets considerably more mellow and smooth with time.

From what i know, The Body Shop is just Patchuli, i could be mistaken, though. She doesn't really wear anything else besides that, so it's hard for me to tell what other notes she would like. To me, hers smells like dark and smokey, almost. I wouldn't even be able to detect if there were other notes in her oil.

Thank you so much to everybody who has answered so far. You guys are really helping me out!!

I'm pretty sure that all of TBS oils are/were blends. The end result is the main note, but I think that all of their oils have been blends.

There's only one way I know of...

Ebay.

It'll cost more now, but she'll get exactly what she wants.

I'll give a big second (or third, or fourth, etc) on these:

Mme. Moriarty: It isn't "imp-able" but I don't imagine it would be too difficult to find a decant on the forum sales page.

Goblin: This one is sweet patchouli on me.

Urd: Lotsa patchouli, topped with sweet grapes and a hint of sweet champaca.

I have three words for you: The Coiled Serpent.

It is straight-up, earthy patchouli and nothing else. Exactly what she's seeking.

If she would like to try something that has a strong patchouli note along with other notes, I'd recommend Vechernyaya, Urd, Anne Bonny or Aureus.

Good luck!

Seconding both Coiled Serpent and Rumpelstilzchen. Rumpel is less straight-up patchouli but it's definitely smoky and dark, if that's what she's after.

I have three words for you: The Coiled Serpent.

It is straight-up, earthy patchouli and nothing else. Exactly what she's seeking.

If she would like to try something that has a strong patchouli note along with other notes, I'd recommend Vechernyaya, Urd, Anne Bonny or Aureus.

Good luck!

Actually - add Goblin or one of the other GC recs to that list and you would have a great imp pack for her to try. It would contain fruity, floral, woody and resin notes paired with the patchouli - which covers a big part of the perfume spectrum.

My mom loves single note patchouli as well and I got her into BPAL with Mme. Moriarty and Snake Oil. She's even promoting Mme. Moriarty to her friends :D

Right now, my favorite patchouli blend is Voodoo. Illustrated woman was pure smoke on me :(

I'll be stalking this thread.. I love patchouli!

I'm gonna have to recommend The Coiled Serpent. It kept going from dryer sheets to absolutely foul stench on me... And that's how patchouli tends to work on my skin. Either or. So I suspect a lot of patchouli in that one.

Gonna second/third/fourth the Sin. Very dark, spicey and smokey on me. Hubby loves darker, more sinister patch and he wore Sin a lot for that reason. Sin reminds me of a "younger" version of something like Opium. It's all the spice and earth of such a fragrance without being overwhelming.

Anne Bonney was very "bright" Red Patch on me, and Snake Oil was more sweet spices and vanilla with just a hint of patch. Snake Oil was my sig scent for a while, until I got into hubby's Tezcat. I did note the patchouli did come out more as it aged, however, and it was a darker patchouli scent.

Goblin is awesome. Imp is sweet peaches with patchouli. Urd for me was dominated by nag champa rather than patchouli, but the patchouli was definitely there. Vechernyaya is great, too.

If she likes hippie/headshop scents the very BEST scent for her to try would be URD! It's absolutely gorgeous.

I'll throw my vote in for Sin-- it was unremarkable to me fresh, but I have an aged imp of it and wow has it gotten good! Sexy spicy Patchouli. :yum: I need a bottle to age...

Ok, guys - my only experience thus far with patchouli has been...traumatic, to put it mildly. It was a lavender/patchouli blend that was literally slathered on me before I could say "Just a little dab, please!" :ack: It seriously made me sick. :sick:

BUT.

BPAL has done amazing things with other ingredients I don't like, and I'm REEEEALLY really curious about Masquerade.

Is it a decent blend for patch-o-phobes like me, or should I steer clear? :nervous:

Ok, guys - my only experience thus far with patchouli has been...traumatic, to put it mildly. It was a lavender/patchouli blend that was literally slathered on me before I could say "Just a little dab, please!" :ack: It seriously made me sick. :sick:

BUT.

BPAL has done amazing things with other ingredients I don't like, and I'm REEEEALLY really curious about Masquerade.

Is it a decent blend for patch-o-phobes like me, or should I steer clear? :nervous:

This is a difficult question because if you're really sensitive to patchouli, you will react to it in a way that those of us who aren't won't. In general, I don't find BPAL patchouli all that strong, with the exception of SOBO and Banshee Beat, both of which I happen to LOVE. None of it ever screams "hippie attack, get it off!" to me. I once had a traumatic patch experience with a Fresh perfume that I cavalierly sprayed on. Good God I stunk and it would not go away! But I digress.

My notes on Masquerade don't mention the patchouli specifically, but the combination of that, carnation and orange blossom created a very dark, exotic scent that I would label as "eccentric." I'm pretty strange, so I'm rather drawn to it. :lol:

This is a difficult question because if you're really sensitive to patchouli, you will react to it in a way that those of us who aren't won't. In general, I don't find BPAL patchouli all that strong, with the exception of SOBO and Banshee Beat, both of which I happen to LOVE. None of it ever screams "hippie attack, get it off!" to me. I once had a traumatic patch experience with a Fresh perfume that I cavalierly sprayed on. Good God I stunk and it would not go away! But I digress.

My notes on Masquerade don't mention the patchouli specifically, but the combination of that, carnation and orange blossom created a very dark, exotic scent that I would label as "eccentric." I'm pretty strange, so I'm rather drawn to it. :lol:

Thanks so much for the input. :biggrin:

I don't really know what my sensitivity level to patchouli is yet - that last experience was literally my first, and there may have been other factors at play that had an effect on my reaction. Overapplication may have been what made it so horrible, or the oil it was blended with (love lavender, but UGH!), or the type of patchouli...who knows?

So, yeah. Am torn. My knee-jerk reaction is usually very :ack: with it, but I'm curious about Masquerade and wondering if maybe I shouldn't let it be a dealbreaker. This time. :umm:

Thanks so much for the input. :biggrin:

I don't really know what my sensitivity level to patchouli is yet - that last experience was literally my first, and there may have been other factors at play that had an effect on my reaction. Overapplication may have been what made it so horrible, or the oil it was blended with (love lavender, but UGH!), or the type of patchouli...who knows?

So, yeah. Am torn. My knee-jerk reaction is usually very :ack: with it, but I'm curious about Masquerade and wondering if maybe I shouldn't let it be a dealbreaker. This time. :umm:

I say if you like orange blossom and carnation, don't consider the patchouli a dealbreaker. I pulled the imp out of my stash to test again, and I would say the patchouli is definitely there, but it's soft and sweet. The orange blossom is the most prominent note on my skin, followed by the spicy carnation. Woody floral incense. Think I might end up with a bottle of it myself! :lol:

I say if you like orange blossom and carnation, don't consider the patchouli a dealbreaker. I pulled the imp out of my stash to test again, and I would say the patchouli is definitely there, but it's soft and sweet. The orange blossom is the most prominent note on my skin, followed by the spicy carnation. Woody floral incense. Think I might end up with a bottle of it myself! :lol:

I went ahead and ordered an imp of it because the carnation and orange blossom intrigue me - here's to hoping it works! :beg:

Just in case, though, I'll have the dish soap and rough scrubbing sponges ready. :eek:

on me, the patchouli in masquarade was pretty noticible from the moment I put it on with the orange blossom coming in second.

Ok, so usually, I hate patchouli and it hates me.

It smells bad, and dirty.

And it makes me gag... literally.

But recently, I got an imp of Bruised Violet Compound and of Goblin.

And, I tried them, because I try everything, even stuff that stinks in the imp, because I'm like that, somewhat of a masochist.

And they are both delightful.

Bruised Violet Compound smells very green and earthy, and fresh. Then in two hours it turns to soap, but I don't care, its awesome.

Goblin smells like a dirty pirate novel writer, but it makes me want to screw myself...

I don't know what is different about the patchouli in there two blends, because usually in commercial perfume it amps and smells bad, and when I tried it in Old Scratch it just ended up choking me...

So, now, I'm wondering... is there other stuff I should try?

Anne Bonny sounds... promising, from the reviews, specially since I love sandalwood.

I'd like something woodsy, dry, similar to Goblin.

I don't like sweet scents. I really hate foodie scents.

Something... neutral, not overly womanly. Sexy but in a neutral way, maybe. Like Goblin, but different.

Goblin makes me want to just.. do very very bad things....

Unf! :blush:

Edited by Jupita

So patchouli and I don't generally get along, especially the red. It turns into cinnamon-scented play doh on me and will not leave. But I got an imp of Depraved and fell for the fresh-turned earth note. Are there other patchouli blends with that particular note? I enjoyed the apricot and love both fruit and flowers, but it was super sweet on me. Would love to try that earthy patchouli in other combinations.