Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ishtar

BPAL Patchouli - there's nothing else like it

So we meet again, Lady Luckless :D Guys seem to have ridiculously perfect chemistry for patchouli and it's always fun to enable.

Masquerade: It's a nice, gender neutral patchouli that tends a bit towards masculine. Patchouli, ambergris, orange blossom and carnation. Fresh it's a bit more orange blossom than anything else, but the patchouli ages really well in this and it's smooth and very sexy.

Voodoo: An interesting, complex, sensual blend. Patchouli, vetiver, vanilla, pine, and a few other components. Personally I find it quite strong and commanding.

War: Patchouli, ginger and red musk (maybe blood musk, too?). If he's a Gaiman fan, it's definitely worth a try. The ginger is more of a savoury ginger than a sweet ginger. It's a strange blend, though--definitely grab a decant before you splurge on a bottle.

Bloodlust: Drop dead sexy. Dragon's blood, vetiver, patchouli, red musk and cinnamon. I think it's an underappreciated gem in the BPAL catalogue--it's simple, evocative and an amazing personal power scent.

Tezcatlipoca: Patchouli. Leather. Cocoa. I think that's all you need to know.

Lust: Sort of a softer, more gentle Bloodlust. If he's not one for the vetiver, this might be a good blend to try.

Namaste: It's got some floral components, but it just captures that whole "LUSH store" essence. Definitely a good try for a slightly lighter and brighter patchouli.

Hehe, hi Paperrose (AKA "She who brings the awesome recs") :P You always seem to point me to things I've never thought of, as well as reminding me I have a frimp of something- In this case Tezcatlipoca! As soon as he gets home, he's slathered! I tried it on myself and it was all flowers, but maybe he'll hit different notes. I have to check out the rest of these too. Our wedding is drawing nigh and it occurs to me I'll have a much better time if he smells amazing! :D

I will be forced to push my favorite patchouli BPAL upon you all , and his name is Lucifer ! Behold his ingredients !

Patchouli, golden amber, deep woods, fig, and vetiver.

This is one of the best smelling blends I have from the lab , period . The fact that patchouli is the main note is purely a coincidence , as it's not like patchouli is my favorite note of all time . It's not generally speaking ( I think the labs tea note is number one in my book at this time ) . But from the first time I sniffed it at will call & it almost knocked my head off , I've found myself entranced by Lucifer . If you can get a chance to sniff it , please do so . But be warned , it is not for the faint of heart .

So, just now I tried on Voodoo. Voodoo was terrible. Beyond terrible. Ashtray full of clove cigarettes terrible. I washed it off, frantically, and then slathered on some Phobos. And then I realized that the Voodoo wasn't all gone, but that lemon+leftover patchouli was delicious. I've seen some citrus and patchouli scents, but the variability of people's experiences with patchouli makes me a little nervous. Is there such a thing as a citrus and patchouli that's mostly citrus?

Namaste has an interesting lemongrass/patchouli vibe with some other woods and florals. Croquet is more of a pink grapefruit scent with some florals and a whisper of patchouli.

Anyone here have a favorite patchouli blend that is super head shoppy? I am looking for something to give to a friend and he loves patchouli, makes a living by tie-dying t-shirts to sell to head shops, and his nick name is "Hippy". :P

Urd. Urd is super strong patchouli/nag champa. It reeks of hippies in the most wonderful way possible. A couple other suggestions:

Masquerade: My favourite patchouli blend. Patchouli with orange blossom, amergris and carnation. It's unusual, unisex and handsome. Heavy patchouli and very earthy.

Bloodlust: Patchouli, red musk, vetiver, dragon's blood, cinammon. Dark, resinous, a bit dangerous and very sexy on a man or a woman.

Lust: Obviously this one depends on your relationship with him and if you're comfortable giving him something so overtly sexual. It's a bit softer version of Bloodlust. Personally, I think a lot of men have great chemistry for vetiver so I'd rec Bloodlust over this.

Voodoo: The patchouli, vetiver and vanilla just shine in this one.

Anyone here have a favorite patchouli blend that is super head shoppy? I am looking for something to give to a friend and he loves patchouli, makes a living by tie-dying t-shirts to sell to head shops, and his nick name is "Hippy". :P

I have to second Voodoo. I love it and was actually told in a very complimentary way that I smelled like a headshop wearing it.

Of the ones that have been suggested, Alicia, Masquerade and Voodoo would definitely be on my list! Urd smells incredibly head-shoppy in the bottle, but my skin turned it into a super-purple, grape Bubble Yum single note.

The Caterpillar is my headshop scent. I have heard of men wearing it, although the behavior of the jasmine would be the critical factor. On my skin, the mosses and vetiver really balance out the feminine elements (it is the ONE scent with vetiver that I can wear!)

Anne Bonny was surprisingly masculine on me, so I definitely consider it appropriate for men and women, and it has a nice dose of patchouli.

There's something a little head-shoppy about The Illustrated Woman to me. The one that was in my old neighborhood would sometimes burn the piney incense that comes with a little log cabin incense burner, so maybe it's that slight piney-ness that invokes it for me. I don't know if you were planning to give a bottle or imps, though.

And of all the incense scents, Sri Lanka has the hippie-est, head-shoppiest vibe to me. So that might be a possibility, too.

Czernobog and Sin were both very head shoppy on me. I tend to associate the scent of nag champa with head shops more than patchouli, though, and most red musk blends read as head shop to me... so maybe Fenris Wolf?

I agree with ivyandpeony that Anne Bonny has a prominent patchouli note. I don't find it masculine, but I could see it being unisex. And I love Sri Lanka, but I don't get much patchouli (or head shoppishness) out of it... which, for me, is a good thing! His chemistry might pull out more of the patchouli, and it's a lovely woody incense blend regardless.

So, just now I tried on Voodoo. Voodoo was terrible. Beyond terrible. Ashtray full of clove cigarettes terrible. I washed it off, frantically, and then slathered on some Phobos. And then I realized that the Voodoo wasn't all gone, but that lemon+leftover patchouli was delicious. I've seen some citrus and patchouli scents, but the variability of people's experiences with patchouli makes me a little nervous. Is there such a thing as a citrus and patchouli that's mostly citrus?

I'm not a huge patchouli fan, but I did order a bottle of Piper At the Gates of Dawn from the Yules for the supporting notes. And on me, this turns into a orangey patchouli party.

Piper at the Gates of Dawn: terebinth pine, patchouli, brown musk, linden blossom, honey, mallow, blood orange, heliotrope, and golden amber'

I don't know if I would consider it predominately citrus, as there's so much stuff going on there, but the orange definately makes itself known.

I would like to buy my step mom some imps, but all i know is that she uses Patchuli oil from The Body Shop. They have since stopped making her oil, but, mmmm, it smells so good. She will be running out eventually and she doesn't know what she can get to replace it. Her oil smells dark and almost smokey. (I am completely new to BPAL, only have 8 imps, so i don't really know the notes i am picking up. I could be a bit off in describing the Patchuli, but that's just what it smells like to me.) Her Patchuli lasts alllll day and you can smell it when she hugs you or whatever. Something that would be similar to her oil that lasts pretty long.

Could anybody help me out a bit?

Thank you so, so much!

Hmmm...maybe Black Phoenix or Snake Oil?

I would like to buy my step mom some imps, but all i know is that she uses Patchuli oil from The Body Shop. They have since stopped making her oil, but, mmmm, it smells so good. She will be running out eventually and she doesn't know what she can get to replace it. Her oil smells dark and almost smokey. (I am completely new to BPAL, only have 8 imps, so i don't really know the notes i am picking up. I could be a bit off in describing the Patchuli, but that's just what it smells like to me.) Her Patchuli lasts alllll day and you can smell it when she hugs you or whatever. Something that would be similar to her oil that lasts pretty long.

Could anybody help me out a bit?

Thank you so, so much!

Looking for a dark heavy patchouli scent, I came up with theseL

Sed Non Satiata - myrrh, red patchouli, cognac, honey, and tuberose and geranium in a breathy, panting veil over the darkest body musk

Anne Bonny - Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense

Voodoo - myrrh, patchouli, vetiver, lime, vanilla, pine, almond and clove

Arachnina (this ones fruity too) - black currant, poppy, red and black musk, lilies, nicotiana, and patchouli

Greed - patchouli, heliotrope, copal and oakmoss

Do you think she'd rather have sweetened patchouli, dark/masculine patchouli, or spicy patchouli?

I'm also a patchouli lover and these are a few of my best beloveds:

Vixen (spicy + sweet - My all-time favorite bpal)

Hetairae (sweet and very feminine patchouli)

Ravenous (starts sweet, but ends up straight patchouli very quickly on me)

Wanton (sweet and feminine again - much more floral than Hetairae)

Anne Bonny (very woody and dry)

Voodoo (spicy and a bit masculine with lots of spice)

Clemence (unimpable - very spicy with a touch of sweet)

Illustrated Woman (very classic patchouli blend with hippy touches of tobacco and resins. This is a CLASSIC patchouli blend)

Goblin (patch+coconut - less sweet and more woody than you'd think. Wears really nicely)

Al-Shairan (the ultimate patchouli/spice blend - very fiery)

War (spicy, spicy and heavy on the ginger. I LOVE this blend)

I don't recommend Snake Oil because it's too heavy on the musk for me. But it's the most popular patchouli bpal (might be the most popular bpal of all!) and you really should include an imp of it.

Edited to add: If you can find them, the past LEs Samhainophobia and Scharzer Mond, she might love them.

Edited by kakiphony

I was going to suggest Illustrated Woman as well.

In my "patchouli" notes on my spreadsheet, I also have:

Shadow

the obsidian widow

hetairae (this note says "warm honey patchouli")

Lots of blends have patchouli in them, but these are the ones where I noted patchouli as a primary on my skin. YMMV.

Personally, Mme. Moriarty is gorgeous slightly plummy patchouli on me. She's one of my favorites.

Depraved is simply patchouli and apricot, which keeps it from being dragged down into mildew territory, which IMO straight patch can often do.

I'll also second The Illustrated Woman with the caveat that, on me at least, there's a very strong pine note.

Edited by thepiratequeen

Is the Body Shop oil just straight patchouli?

The notes listed with the product description were not very helpful:

Top notes: warm

Middle notes: herbaceous, patchouli

Base notes: earthy

The search function on the Lab website brings up 70 blends with patchouli that are currently available. But in most of them the patchouli is just a complimentary note or a base note.

http://www.bpal.org/search/index.php?term=...=1&search=1

It might really help if you could find out what other notes she likes and dislikes, so you know what direction to take - or not to take - when you chose Bpal scents for her, because they will not exactly be straight patchouli.

If all else fails - if the Body Shop oil is straight patchouli you can get her a bottle of high quality patchouli essential oil in addition to some bpal imps. It is fairly inexpensive, even in high quality, and is supposed to improve drastically with age, it gets considerably more mellow and smooth with time.

Edited by ImperatrixMundi

Depraved goes different ways on different people. It's definitely a love-it-or-hate-it scent. I love patchouli and apricot, but Depraved has an added earthy note. I'm starting to like dirt notes as well, but this combination turns to moldy apricots on me. Be very, very wary.

Sin is a good spicy patch. I tend to stay away from amber (it goes powdery) and sandalwood (can sometimes be a headache trigger), but the cinnamon and black patchouli drag it back into wearable territory for me even though I do still have to be wary of the sandalwood at times. Man, I wish I could wear it today, but I'm already dealing with a sandalwood-induced headache and don't want to make it any worse. I'm also a huge fan of Phantom Calliope and Tanin'iver, which are very, *very* similar to each other to my nose. The latter was discontinued due to component issues, but the former is still available. Unimpable since it's part of the Carnival Diabolique, alas, but *awesome*. Black cherry, patchouli, verbena, cassis, and cardamom. Fruity spicy patchouli wonderfulness.

The funny thing about Snake Oil is that I didn't even realize there was patchouli in it. It reminds me a whole hell of a lot of Guerlain's Shalimar, which was my mom's scent.

Edited by meaganola

Ditto on Mme Moriarty, it's gorgeous.

Maybe Urd or Baba Yaga?

Urd - Excolo - Muscadine, black and red patchouli, cereus and nag champa.

Baba Yaga - Marchen - Spell-soaked herbs and flowers, cold iron, broom twigs, bundles of moss and patchouli root, and moth dust.

I'd say these are good bets for a sweeter patchouli:

Clemence *Really great, though not impable

The Phantom Calliope *Also super-great, and also not impable

Anne Bonny

Hetairae

For me, I get a lot of pine (and no patchouli) from Illustrated Woman, and oakmoss is prominent in Greed. Though I like them both!

ETA: If you've got a natural foods store near you, like a co-op, or Whole Foods, or New Frontiers, or anything like that, you should be able to find Patchouli oil there if none of the bpals are as straight-patchouli as you'd like.

Edited by sqwook

I have TBS patchouli and I am a patchouli lover. My vote goes to Goblin and it's the only one that I can think of when I'm thinking straight patchouli.........except for Banshee Beat and that one is super rare. :lol:

I adore patchouli. I find that, of bpal's patchouli notes, the black patchouli is darker and sort of like black soil or black leather, and the red patchouli smells more of dry woods and sour, body odor :/. A lot of the regular patchouli scents just smell like dry, earthy-brown, sweet patchouli.

Some of my favorites with a very strong patchouli note:

*Depraved (apricot and black patchouli) - sort of smells like leather and blueberries on me, oddly.

*Goblin (coconut, patchouli, and benzoin) - strong, sweet, dry, brown sort of patchouli and a creamy, very sweet coconut.

*Greed (patchouli, heliotrope, copal and oakmoss) - a very dry, mossy patchouli.

*Rumpelstilzchen (patchouli, cardamom, nutmeg, black pepper, tonka, vetiver, and myrrh) - I find this to be very smoky, earthy, and lightly spicy... sort of like woodsmoke, wood roasting in a fireplace, and fireworks.

*Sin (amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon) - I get equal parts sweet cinnamon and earthy patchouli from this.

Anne Bonny is a very strong, dry woods and patchouli scent. I'd recommend trying that one to someone who loves patch, though it doesn't work on me personally.

If you're interested in tracking down some LEs, she might enjoy something like Schwarzer Mond, Luperci, Raven Moon, Falling Leaf Moon, Enyalios, Mole, Samhain, and Samhainophobia...

depraved & goblin were what i first thought when i saw the title to this thread and since others have already recommended them, i add my voice to the choir.