Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin with five woods, English ivy and galangal root.

I was very intrigued with this fragrance ~ only having read the description. It sounded wonderful and I was eager to try it.

In the bottle ~ I get a very green fragrance ~ must be the Ivy. Very fresh and clean smelling. Nice. :P

Wet ~ I still smell the green... and no pumpkin. The green is a lovely, bright fragrance ~ I could easily see this as a mens cologne. It would also be nice in a bath bomb, or soap.

On the drydown... I never got pumpkin, at all. But this bottle still did not disappoint. I really like it and would wear it during the day. For some reason this fragrance brings to mind picnics.

I like this scent, I will keep a bottle of it on hand.
:D Edited by Shollin

I get the pumpkin the most. The pumpkin in this one is probably strong on me than any of the others. I do get the woods in it too. Its like a woody version of Jack on me

In the imp: The buttery scent in all the pumpkins is present, but there's a dryness over the top that is indescribable.

Wet: Again the buttery pumpkin with a sheet of something damp and/or wet on top. It's similar to a light floral but too dry for that. Like an autumn night.

Dry: Something about this scent dry is instantly wierd and familiar. The familiarity is a moist towelette, but not the lemon ones, the baby ones. Underneat that scent there's a nice dark woodsy smell underneath that I do like. Something sweet on the tippy top blends with the buttery smell underneath for a foody scent.

Category: Woodsy/dry forest/clean

Rating: 2/5

Overall: Reminds me too much of wet wipes to truly enjoy. I also think my skin amps up the sweet wetness of ivy too much and burries the nice woods underneath everything else. Could be VERY sexy on a guy, may pass it on the the boy for a test.

whoa... very very sharp and woodsy. my nose burns!

i don't smell any pumpkin at all. just woods and some vicks vaporub kinda note. :P

and it's STRONG.

In Bottle: Sharp woods

On Skin: This scent wakes you up with it’s sharpness. The pumpkin’s sweetness helps soften it but I still feel the woods are overpowering. It’s like a fireplace while you’re having Thanksgiving dinner.

I was not expecting this to be one of my favorite PP scents. This is just gorgeous however. It's woody without making me feel like I've rubbed sawdust over my body, and the ivy adds a lovely green note. This is quite a sophisticated pumpkin, and just lovely!

I have a cold, so I'm probably not picking up all the complexities of scents today. That said. . .

In the bottle this is buttery pumpkin and the sharp scent of a forest in winter.

On my skin the wood notes come rushing to the fore, underlayed by that lovely creaminess. This really makes me think of walking through frosted forests, late at night, when everything is dark and spooky, and when the scent of fresh pumpkin pie is still clinging to your clothes and fingers.

PP#4 was too creamy on me, and this one is *almost* too woody.

As it dries down the pumpkin comes out and is very deep. To be honest, it's making me a little nauseous. I suspect pumpkin perfume just doesn't work on me. ;_;

I'm disappointed, to be honest, as both the PP scents I've tried are beautiful, but the pumpkin note keeps turning my stomach.

I just got this today! YAY! Thank you to LJer, earthdotprime!

This one morphs so OMG fast for me! It blew through about 4 different notes in the first minute or so on my wrists.

Initial blast of pumpkin,

then woody blend,

then pungent green ivy,

then spicy galangal,

finally settling in for a blend of all four with spicy green at the fore.

I keep getting visions of an ivy-covered, tudor-style cottage at the edge of a green wood with a walnut grove nearby and spiced pumpkin custard cooling on a window sill in mid-September when evidence of autumn is just beginning to show itself.

I think I'm more in love with this vision than I am with the scent that evokes it, but I still enjoy it. PP4 still the favourite; PP5 not too far behind, and definitely a keeper.

Still need to try PP2.

Edited by kettu keiju

In the bottle - Sandalwood and black pepper.

Wet on me - Sandalwood and buttery baking smells.

Dry on me - The sandalwood dominates throughout, as it dries it becomes greeber and sweeter, but only slightly.

First sniff: Of the four Patches I’ve tried so far (#3 is still in the review pile), this one is by far the strangest, the most unexpected. If I didn’t know this was pumpkin, I might not be able to figure it out. It’s green and wet and low ivy-twined walls of flat stones encircling a field of crops in the rain.

Wearing: It’s so very green! Ivy and mossy and green green green. I keep looking for the pumpkin and I can’t find it.

bottle:

vanilla and pumpkin

wet:

mild pumpkin with a different kind of wood - very well balanced, neutral.

dry:

smells like I expected PP4 to smell like! I like it much better.

overall:

much nicer than PP4, I like but don't love it!

rating: 6/10

This is an interesting smell - sweet, from the pumpkin, with something coming through. A little sharp, slightly spicy and earthy, which is probably the wood, ivy and/or galangal root.

On my skin this morphs into something else. It starts sweet and spicy and goes through to subtle, smooth, sweet, musky (yet a little dry) scent with a slightly green touch to it. It's a very complex, but nice, mix.

Pumpkin Patch #5 - When I first apply this oil, it is creamy and butter pumpkin and is quite savory in quality; however, as it dries, it becomes very sweet, and I can’t for the life of me figure out what it is or why. The “five woods” in this blend are very much background notes, with the pumpkin and ivy in front of that, but center stage is reserved for a warm and sweet scent that I simply do not recognize. I know galangal root is in this blend and I understand it’s part of the ginger family and has a slightly camphoric scent, so I don’t know if that’s what I’m smelling or not, because what I smell is sweet and warm and almost juicy – like fig (although I don’t believe fig is in this blend). It’s really wonderful and a scent, but it’s not really appropriate for summer, so I’m going to set it aside and pull it out again during the coming autumn months, and I have a feeling I’ll get a lot of mileage out of my bottle. I am really enthralled by this scent. It has above-average throw and above-average staying power.

In the bottle: Buttery and creamy and I wondered if I had the wrong one.

On me: No, there's the wood. A wood overtone for once, and there is a tangy sweetness... The butteriness I smelled earlier fades on me to a warm background, which seems to do well with my skin (Red Lantern) and the perfume continues to be strongly herbal and woodsy. Lots of ambiance, evokes the fall sort of nicely. A strong scent, not at all unfeminine. Just fresh, evocative. A keeper.

Bottle: spicy, woody, root cellar-y.

Wet: woody, primarily, with spice underlying. warm, somehow, even though it does smell very autumn.

Dry: much the same, but..drier. like the warm autumn sun in a forest in autumn, warming the woods and remnants of growing things so that the scent of the still-slightly-damp underbrush wafts up with each footfall.

Later: this reminds me of the part of my back yard where ivy grows under a stand of huuge old pines, and recently when it rained I caught a waft of what was really the smell of autumn to me - the damp ground, the wood, the ivy..sitting outside in the evening with a cup of spiced tea. wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

I was hoping for more wonderful green ivy, but I don't find that here. Not that this is a bad scent! It's buttery, and it has a strong scent of incense and woods. It's not quite what I was hoping for, but it's still a lovely, golden autumn scent.

The Pumpkin Patch lot has been interesting for me because they all pretty much smell the same in the bottle, but once applied they morph into lovely and distinct scents.

This one is the creamy-spicy one :P

Pumpkin Patch #5-

In Bottle: Kind of foody-spicy. I don't really get the pumpkin on this.

Wet: Very woody and with a touch of cedar. Again, I'm not sensing the pumpkin really, but it's very nice. Some evergreen too, I think.

Dry: How appropriate that this is the last of the Pumpkin Patch collection. This is the patch at the end of the season, winter biting at the edges. Pine and resin.

Overall: I really like.

In the bottle: Pumpkin and dry spice and wood, and something cool and green.

Wet: Fresh green bitter ivy over the softness of pumpkin, very delicious. I also get hints of spice and wood, I think possibly rosewood. It's nearly aquatic, and it works very well.

Drydown: Oh wow, very spicy rosewood-pumpkin mix! I love rosewood, and I'm really enjoying this pumpkin now. It's like a spicy pumpkin soup, very delicious, savoury pumpkin with pepper. And ivy, I can still smell an icy green slightly bitter ivy over everything.

Overall: Oh my god! This is beautiful! The drydown is a spicy, woody, fruity and even slightly floral mix that creates a very original scent. I'd never smelled anything like this before. It's complex and fresh, and I'm starting to seriously consider getting a bottle. I also thought that pumpkin couldn't work out for me, but apparently I was wrong. The only thing is that this is a bit too spicy for me, otherwise I'd get a bottle right away.

Wow, what a unique blend! Many pumpkin blends are very foody, but this isn't at all. I smell smooth woods, sweet creamy pumpkin, and a hint of spice. My only complaint is that I'm not getting much of a fresh, green ivy note. Still, it's lovely and very autumnal.

In the Bottle: It's a smokey scent with a touch of sweet and spice to it. I would call it a masculine scent that reminds me of a gentleman's cigar room.

Initial Wet: Oooh, a nice, dark wood scent with spices. There's just a touch of pumpkin sweetness and ivy greenness underneath.

Initial Dry: Now the scents really mingle and become complex. What really struck me was that I walked past a patch of fresh cut grass where some autumn leaves had been mulched in and some English ivy had been cut as well and it smelled just like this!

Drier Dry: The sweetness really amps up for some time, overwhelming the woods. It almost becomes cloying, then it blends with the galangal to bring back some of the spice and woods. The green ivy seems to be all gone.

Overall, the scent is nice, incensy, and masculine. I enjoy it, but I don't know if it's one that I'd wear all the time.

As it turns out, pumpkin goes kind of oily on me, which was offputting in this blend. In Jack, it was more of a butter note, which was delicious, even if not my style, but in this it was just an odd cloying oil note. The woods blend well with it, but I never really could pick out the ivy or galangal. *shrug* It was a very generous frimp, and now I know not to order a bottle of it.