Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin with five woods, English ivy and galangal root.

This went on as a very sweet pumpkin, dried to a desiccated husk, and then turned to baby powder. ::sigh::

Off to swap. Edited by Shollin

at first: sweet pumpkin and dry woods.

on: very sweet. i think i just smell buttercream. i guess that's the pumpkin note/notes.

1 hour later: now, this makes more sense. it's definitely more woodsy and dusty. the sweetness of the pumpkin is in the background.

4.5 hours later: softer. i get hints of that pumpkiny sweetness every now and then, but when i smell my wrist, it's more of a warm, earthy scent.

overall: an amazing scent. at least i know i'll like one of the pumpkin patch oils.

Wet, this is exactly what I hoped it wouldn't be: buttery, buttery pumpkin. Yeek. Sniffing it in the imp is making me a little queasy, but I soldier onwards and put it on my arm.

After about half an hour, this dries down and the woods come out a bit, but the overall scent is one of warm, slightly smoky pumpkin. It's not turning my stomach any more, but it's not really what I'd hoped for (outdoors with a hint of pumpkin) either. It's not *bad* it's just much foodier than I like wearing, even when dry.

Now it's smelling vaguely like coffee. My chemistry is a w1nnar. Oi. Off to swaps with you, my litle precious - somebody else will not have skin of pumpkin doom. :P

In bottle: more Jack-like bread. I know, I'm weird.

On skin: wow, another serious morpher. Like PP#1 and 3, it smells nothing like in the bottle. Greeny green green, but not "forest" with pine or juniper (which end up as men's cologne on me). Clean, but no detergent/soapy smell. I really like what must be the English ivy, it's a nice change over the more common grass or leaves or moss scents.

Half-hour later: this has barely changed. This is the least "foody" of the 5 on me, as I get no "baking bread," just more greenery.

In conclusion: I was really surprised by this one, it doesn't seem to fit in with the other 4.

This one started out Jack-like and then the woods and ivies started to take over. It dried down to a lovely old-fashioned scent which reminded me of the sorts of things you used to smell in old perfume bottles. Heart rending in many ways, like the favorite perfume of ghosts who died 30 years before you were born. This Pumpkin Patch paints a strong illusion. Real Halloweenesque.

Pumpkin with five woods, English ivy and galangal root.

In bottle: Rich and buttery with a bit o' green. It's very interesting - a pumpkin still growing on the vine.

On me: The pumpkin virtually disappears on the skin, and is replaced with a pleasant, slightly sweet wood scent. It's definitely a definitive 'pumpkin patch' fragrance to me, and the perfect conclusion to the five bottle set.

I hope the set comes back next year, it's amazing with Beth came up with based around one single note.

I've really enjoyed all the pumpkin patch scents. I didn't think I would like this one at all, but it's really nice. It has the wonderfull, rich, spicy pumpkin base, just like Jack, but it's beautifully complimented by the greeness and earthiness of the english ivy and woods. It's sort of like standing in a fragrant, rich pumpkin patch in a clearing in the middle of the woods. Earthy, yet distincly halloweenie. Nice!

In the bottle – oh wow, this has got to be the weirdest thing I’ve smelled yet! Not sure what I was expecting, but this was a total surprise.

Applied wet - a strong butter note hits my nose – almost butterscotch, maybe. As it dries down it turns into a strong woodsy smell, I can’t quite place what kind of wood, but it’s very comforting.

Random wafts float over my nose for the next two hours and all smell different – they alternate between woods, butter, and something else I can’t quite name.

Gawds I love this! I’m so glad I have a whole bottle coming.

Wet: Nothing like dry, I smell the pumpkin base and a bit of green, and weirdly, it smells a lot like PP#1, all spicy and appley.

Dry: Utterly gorgeous. Like sticking your face in an ivy plant. There's the wood, and the glorious glorious greens. This smells simultaneously like Fall AND Spring. It is not too woody, nor too sweet and pumpkiny, in fact for me the pumpkin almost totally leaves and becomes just a warmth behind the green. I utterly adore this.

pumpkins and wood and ivy go together perfectly in

this awesome perfume...the blend morphs and warms

up gorgeously....another award winner....Lordy knows

that our lovely Beth could only create such a wonder

to wear!!!! :P

In the bottle: Pumpkin greenery? I assume that's the ivy.

Wet: Wow, this is very, very woody. It's not a pine woody; it's the deciduous woody. There's a kind of earthiness here that keeps it from being so dry.

Drydown: This is fairly masculine on me. It's not at all foody and to be honest, I can barely smell the pumpkin which is somewhat odd.

Final thoughts: It's a nice blend but definitely not for me. Alas!

First Impression: Freshly cut wood.

Dries down to: Wood with ginger in place of the sap.

Additional Comments: This is the most interesting Pumpkin Batch blend to me. It's another one I wouldn't wear but might use as a home fragrance on occasion.

Lasted: Two hours.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

Pumpkin Patch 5.

In the bottle: Pumpkin and freshly cut wood.

On me/wet: Definitely the freshly cut wood - it smells slightly reminiscent of pencil shavings, so I'm guessing cedar or a close relative? I'm getting no greenery, but the pumpkin comes up as a base note.

Drydown: The woods keep getting stronger, completely drowning out any pumpkin note. Woods love me, so this is no wonder. It reminds me of Harvest Moon, which did the same thing.

30 minutes later: Well, I object to smelling like a gerbil cage, so unfortunately I'll be swapping this one. :P

Edited by scourgeotheseas

Dubious, lots of woods in here. Woods smell like a carpenter's shack on me. At first whiff my doubts are solidified. Not even going to test this one. The galangal root has not helped any and I usually like it. This one is without a doubt going to my best friend who loves this series.

I was waiting for this one inparticular. Down from my parent's house is a pumpkin patch that a farmer grows at the base of the woods. I was so hoping that it would smell like it does there. When I opened the bottle, I was pleased. The only thing missing was the wetness of early morning dew.

My next thought was to layer it with Tempest to get that wet scent. Still haven't tried that.

pp#5 is so different from the other 4 to me! in the bottle, i smell the pumpkin, but when that oil hits my skin, the pumpkin disappears. no butter smell that some others got.

this is sharp, woodsy, and dark green. i can't identify the types of wood, but i might find juniper in there. . . . ? . . . whatever it is, its very nice. after about 2 hours, it turns more musty, but then some spices also come out.

i would consider getting a bottle of this, because it is so different from the other types of "woodsy" smells i've tried.

On first sniff, this reminds me not of Jack or other pumpkin-based scents I have -- but of Tombstone. It must be the '5 woods' -- cedar and/or balsam?

There's a bit of a musty woodshop smell.

Then something sharp and gingery, and also fertile and leafy.

And in the background, a very earthy pumpkin element -- that I never would have pegged as pumpkin if not for the scent's theme.

And then there something (the ivy?) that makes me think of witch hazel.

Will have to try this again; leaving me with mixed opinions.

Pumpkin usually doesn't work on me. It either runs away, not to be seen again, or it smells hideously horrid.

In this case, the pumpkin ran away screaming. All I could smell was wood and ivy. *is sad, for she hates wood*

Wet this is buttery pumpkin and dry woods. When first on this is woody with a touch of sweetness in the background. After about 30 minutes it develops into a lovely sweet floral! This is surprisingly sweet on the drydown. Just like #4, I was sure I wouldn't like this one but I think it might be my favorite in the Patch. Amazing job Beth :P

This was another suprising blend - it was really nice. On me it was a warm, woody scent that had the slightest hint of green in it. I would like a bottle of this one I think!

In the imp -

Buttery, fruity pumpkin - oddly, all the pumpkin patches smell almost identical in the imp.

Wet on the skin -

I get the tang of the ivy first, a very green and crisp smell. That morphs into something almost nutty, but quite heavily perfumed - it's almost cloying. It doesn't smell bad, but it has the same kind of effect as when you open the milk to sniff and it's gone off, and it's really strong and sort of pushes you back (it doesn't smell at all like gone off milk, I'm trying to explain how it makes me feel when I sniff it!)

I guess, it's unexpected.

Dry -

No pumpkin here at all. Dusty woods and that tang.

Le boyf says -

"Smells like joss sticks. Puts the hip in hippie. Peppery - I like pepper. 7 out of 10"

(He was sniffing it on a tissue though - it smelled much nicer on the tissue!)

I love the whole patch except this one. It's just too bitter and tangy for me.

Edited by Saliekat

Not foody at all, and my favorite of the Pumpkin Patch. This has a woodsy scent. Not pine, or too dry, but that in-between autumnal smell. The pumpkin adds a sweetness to it, and nothing stands out too bad. I like :P

If the PP wasnt a present for my sweetie, this would be so mine. Hehehe

Edited by donsixgun

Pumpkin Patch 5 is amazingly neat in that it is really not at all foody - the woody-ivy notes really give this interesting depth that take it beyond the realm of a halloween pumpkin scent and into a full on autumn perfume.

There is a slight almost plastic edge to the pumpkin note in all of these though, which I think might be part of the hazards of over exposure from decanting, as while I like this scent a lot, I'm not sure that I can actually wear it much...:P

I was most excited about this blend because I love the woods aspect of it. I'm very fond of Yggdrasil, so I was hoping this was Jack + Yggdrasil. It is, in a way, but it's also... sweetened (?)... or maybe it's deepened... by the English ivy, which lends a nice shot of green to the blend. I don't know enough about galangal to be able to identify it.

This is dry and green and wonderful.