Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin with sandalwood and orris.

This one had strong incense tones. I love the pumpkin, and the dry woods. I think this would be wonderful as a room scent. Edited by Shollin

This one is spicy, but not in a foody way like PP#1. Its mellow, incense-like. And the pumpkin adds a warm, sweet feel to it.

My second favorite of the 'patch.

I was quite surprised that I liked this one, as I have been having some problms with sandalwood lately, but, like PP5, this is a nice woody blend, however, this is a deeper, spicier version. I really like these savory combinations as they are so unexpected and the sweet buttery pumpkin really adds something different.

It's really amazing to me with the pumpkin patch blends, how each smells almost entirely of pumpkin in the bottle and then really "blooms" with all the other notes once applied to the skin. I thought I'd like maybe one or two of these, but I've ended up loving all five.

That aside, this is mostly pumpkin when wet, but as it dries the dusty, "berry growing wild on the vine" scent of orris pops out and really takes control. I don't smell too much of the sandalwood, and while I was hoping that was going to be the most dominant note, I don't really mind too much.

This is a soft, dry scent.

This one is my second favourite in the series... (#2 with Cocoa is my favourite) :D

This one is also OOoooooo... so very nice.

In the bottle ~ Pumpkin and something sweet in the background.

Wet ~ Pumpkin and Sandlewood... with a smoky scent that ties it all together.

Lovely on the dry down ~ Spicy pumpkin, very rich. Smells like incense, to me.

:P

Edited by BlackDahlia

In the imp: Buttery, yes, but woodsy and dry underneath. Like standing outside in a foresty area and smelling some wonderful pastry smells wafting out of someone's window.

Wet: Still buttery, and it's delightful. I don't like the smell of butter but I'm assuming this is the buttery pumpkin smell. The dry woods peek out a little and the mixture is very soft and like roasting something on an open fire with carved poker sticks. DEFINATELY sandalwood, and I love it.

Dry: Oh wow! The sandalwood and buttery pumpkin together are delicious now. As with the other pumpkin blends, the buttery smell fades a little and just becomes a rich backdrop for the other scents to play off of. Strong, too!

Category: Dry woods/Autumn

Rating: 5/5

Overall: I know I will have a use for this imp, I've found a nice somewhat woodsy scent that works on my skin. Sandalwood is lovely on my skin and the buttery pumpkin fading a bit quickly is a little sad but needed to let the orris and sandalwood blend properly. Without that, I would smell like I just walked through a pumpkin roast pit. I can't pick out the orris on it's own, but I think it's the slightly sweet wood sitting right atop the sandalwood almost blending in completely. May be asking the boy to try it, could be very sexy.

if Jack were an incense... :D that's what this is like on me. i LOVE it! spicy, buttery pumpkin with the smokiness of sandalwood. :P this is my favorite pumpkin patch blend so far.

In Bottle: Strong sweet and sandalwood

On Skin: The sandalwood is the strongest note. It is very dry and woody. The pumpkin is there, but not as sweet as normal. This scent seems more masculine and harsh. I’m not as fond of it.

This is very interesting. The sandalwood blends beautifully with the pumpkin, and it's a very rich scent. It's a bit dry and dusty, and I bet it would smell amazing on a man.

I've been on a kick wearing this one for a few days now. As per above posts it starts out "warm buttery pumpkin" which on me smells like "Look, Mom, I Barfed up a Cheesecake" - but this phase lasts a only few seconds.

The scent then dries down to smell like freshly sanded wood (I think balsa - not necessarily sandalwood), with a faint violet/spice undertone. When you think about how much of your environment is plastic/metal, carrying around a lumberyard-old library smell is great. (Maybe works as an aphrodisiac for carpenters?)

The woodiness may also be the pumpkin - the unspiced vegetable has a fibrous, watery odor similar to wood. This scent truly respects the vegetable-hood of our pumpkin friends and creates a great microenvironment.

I wasn't quite sure what orris was, so I didn't know what to expect from this blend. On first application, there's buttery pumpkin, and a smoky note overlaying it. There's a bit of spice as well, but it's not strong. It's interesting, because the combination isn't foody at all. I don't think it's quite incense, but certainly it has an outdoors, dusky feel that I don't get from the first three blends. It's both rich and dry, and it gets smokier over time. Gorgeous.

I have a cold, so I'm probably not picking up all the complexities of scents today. That said. . .

In the bottle this is heavy, buttery, cloying sweetness. Quite off-putting to me since very foody scents tend to make me a little nauseous.

On the skin it's. . . weird. The buttery pumpkin makes it deep and creamy, whilst the sandalwood and orris are clearly there over the top, adding a little sharpness to the sweet.

I can tell that this is a really beautiful scent, but on me it's just too much; too rich and foody.

One for the swap pile, for sure.

In The Bottle Buttery and rich, not too sweet, very deep and yummy.

Wet I really don't smell the Sandalwood, which is disappointing b/c I love Sandalwood. Still just Buttery Pumpkin.

Dry A lot less buttery, Pumpkin with a weird...clean...almost floral note (the orris I guess? I don't really know what orris smells like) very nice, though I don't find it spicy, and it's beginning to go a bit 'musty'. I think perhaps Pumpkin doesn't like me much. :P Ah well, I shall swap it.

I was really surprised by this, because I hadn't expected it to smell as pumpkin-y as it did (PP 1 and 3 didn't). This is a buttery pumpkin, like Jack, but it was less buttery and had more than the pumpkin in Jack does, which surprised me, because I didn't expect sandalwood or orris to lend tang to the pumpkin. It pretty much stayed tangy pumpkin for at least five hours. After, the sandalwood and orris came out, making it a dry sort of scent, and finally, after eight hours, it was mostly dry and woody, all sandalwood and a little orris.

ADDED April 9:

I expected Pumpkin Patch 4 to be earthier. However, this is mostly buttery pumpkin with a hint of sandalwood. The hint of sandalwood actually gives PP4 a perfume like tint of artificiality. This is pretty consistent throughout, with the perfume aspects getting a bit stronger over time.

In the bootle - Sandalwood and butter (which may be how I'm reading pumpkin).

Wet on me - Predominantly sandalwood, with the faintest touch of something green, which I can only presume is the orris.

Dry on me - Soft powdery violets (the orris I guess). Pretty, but still very much a grown up sort of scent to me. Very different to what I expected.

This is very buttery pumpkin on me at first, with the light spiceyness in the background. It then dries down to a soft buttery pumpkin and the spice goes wild. It's a lovely smell, but i have an aversion to smelling like foody candles, which is exactly what this smells like to me. Like i bought a pumpkin spice candle and took a bath in the wax. A great smell, but not on my person.

i got this imp recently as a gift from a friend and it was labeled as *pumpkin, orris, and sandalwood*, so i had to do a little digging to figure out it was pumpkin patch #4. it smelled a lot like buttered movie popcorn in the bottle. once i put it on, it only smelled like pumpkin for a bit, maybe half an hour. after that i could mostly smell a buttery note and sandalwood. the boy said he definitely smelled flowers, which, i guess, is the orris. i really did like this, though. too bad it was a limited edition. perhaps it will be available again next fall.

First going on, it's nice, buttery pumpkin and sandalwood. The pumpkin fades a bit, leaving the incensey smell of sandalwood and something sharper (has to be orris). But then...OK, call me crazy, but cinnamon? I most definitely smell cinnamon, on top of a pumpkin note. Hmm. I liked it before, but now I'm not sure as it's gone a little bit potpourri/craft store for my liking. I think I still like it, but I probably won't wear it, so I'll give it to someone who will.

Edit: This is weird. In its later stages, it smells hot. Like, really. It smells like Red Hots that have been baking in the sun for a few hours. If I could get just that Red Hot smell all throughout rather than the incensey or potpourri smells beforehand, I would totally keep it. Oh well.

Edited by voodoobaby

I tried this without the descrip near me. The pumpkin is Jack-like to me, a little buttery and all lovely. The other notes (orris & sandalwood as I realize now) simply added this amazing tantalizing extra dimension to the pumpkin. I always underestimate how much I like Beth's pumpkin note. It's especially fun with an unusual but very nice pairing like this. I liked it better than PP#1, which I also didn't know at the time was a more typical pairing of scents (mulling spices, apple cider). Anyway, I will for sure be hunting for an imp of this.

I'll need to try a full size test- I just did a teensy dab out of another lovely forum member's imp- to rate it fully, but I'd think it will be a 4 out of 5.

I always thought that the pumpkin in Jack was too buttery for me, and at first that is exactly what I get w/ PP4. Butter.

As it dries down the sandalwood really comes out, giving this a really comforting fragrance, and cutting the buttery excess out. beautiful.

First sniff: Sandalwood and orris are both rather hit-or-miss on me, so I was afraid of woody powdery pumpkin, but this is just pumpkin. It’s a deep scent, no hint of sweetness.

Wearing: The moment it hits my wrist, it develops an undercurrent of spices that lighten the scent considerably, both in weight and in color. Every so often I catch a whiff that reminds me vividly of walking into a Cracker Barrel, all light brown wood and cosy warmth and tchotchkes from floor to ceiling.

bottle:

woody pumpkin

wet:

sandalwood and pumpkin. Spicy in an herbal (not foody) sense (guess that's orris)

dry:

same. Not foody, but fairly masculine.

overall:

not crazy about it. Had to wash it off.

rating: 3/10

Pumpkin Patch #4 - This was a very surprising scent for me. I was expecting it to smell strongly of sandalwood, since sandalwood is a blend that really likes my skin once it warms up on it. However, it smelled instead like pumpkin and mulling spices. I went online to read the reviews and didn’t see anyone else that had this experience with PP#4, so I double-checked the bottle, and sure enough, I was just having a different reaction to PP#4 than other people. I put some more on, just to be certain, and once again – pumpkin and mulling spices! This is certainly not a bad thing, I’m just not sure where the scent of mulling spices comes from since there don’t appear to be any in the scent. And I’m curious why the sandalwood isn’t showing up on my skin. The scent is very light on my skin, and once it dries down, I have to sniff my skin up close to smell it. After about an hour, the spicy pumpkin scent is still on the surface, but there seems to be something else beneath those surface scents, and I suddenly detect the sandalwood and orris. The orris is the strongest of the two notes, giving the blend a dry and almost herbal scent. The sandalwood peeks through very shyly, and provides a touch of a woody and almost incense-like aroma. I have to sniff my skin up close and breath in deeply to detect either of these two scents. This is a strange scent, and while it’s not a bad or unpleasant one, I don’t think it’s for me.

:P this is actually one of my very favorite bpal scents so far. which really surprised me, because the smell directly from the bottle, while yummy, was nothing i wanted to smell like. prospective buyers of pumpkin patch 4 need to be forewarned that it morphs like *crazy* but, i think the post-morph scent is just divine.

in the bottle i can smell the pumpkin, but no sandalwood or orris. there is something very, EXTREMELY buttery smelling coming from the bottle too. it smells VERY foody directly from the bottle. this worried me, because it smelled nice, but it was so extremely buttery that it didn't even smell like perfume. it smelled more like some kind of extract you'd use in baking. but i gave it a shot on my skin anyway. wet, the buttery smell mellows out almost immediately and i can smell the sandalwood straight away. i'm not really familiar with the lab's orris note, so i didn't know what to expect from that, but there was something vaguely floral underneath the pumpkiny incense smell people have mentioned so much.

when completely dry this scent changes to something totally different, and entirely lovely. i don't know where it's coming from, and possibly i am completely insane, but the pumpkin mellows out quite a bit when dry and leaves behind a wonderfully light scent of mulled cider! it's crazy, because as far as i can tell, there's no apple note in this blend, but i definately smell it. the pumpkin is still there, but it's light and dry, and the sandalwood leaves a lovely smokiness. still not sure about the orris. maybe it's the cidery note i'm smelling. whatever the case, it's a beautiful, nostalgic scent to me. this is the EXACT smell of jerry smith's pumpkin farm in kenosha, wisconsin- the town where i went to college. i loved the pumpkin farm. :D the fragrance is very evocative of fall, but here it is the middle of june, and it is light enough to wear on a warm day and not become heady or cloying like some traditionally cold weather scents tend to do.

the only down side to it is that the 'throw' is not very wide. i either have to slather myself in it, or hold my wrist very close to my nose in order to smell it. but that's ok, it just means that only a person who wants to get very close to me will be able to get a whiff, which is not entirely a bad thing. :D however, it does have lasting power, and hours later the scent is still very detectable when i hold my wrist to my nose.