Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin with sandalwood and orris.

Wow, this is such an interesting blend. And frankly, I'm shocked that I like it, because usually sandalwood is hard for me to wear. But this is gorgeous. The smokey, incensy sandalwood keeps the pumpkin from being too sweet, but both notes are equally present. The result is so balanced. It makes perfect sense, really! Sweet, heady pumpkin that is tempered by dry, smokey sandalwood. I reach for this often.

:P

Pumpkin Patch 4

In the imp: buttery pumpkin with just a hint of dusty sweetish wood.

Wet on skin: mmm, not bad! Pumpkin is the main note, but the sandalwood’s there.

Dry: oh, I like this. The pumpkin is smooth, rich, buttery and sweet, but there’s also the warm, dry, slightly spicy scent of sandalwood, and the dusty whiteness of orris. The scents work really well and blend really nicely together in this.

After a while: as with the other PP scents, the pumpkin in this becomes fuller and sweeter so now it’s mainly pumpkin with a lovely pale woody base.

After a few hours, the sandalwood drydown is wonderful!

Verdict: this is another delightful PP scent. The warmth and buttery scent of baked pumpkin is combined with the dry woody scent of sandalwood and orris. They go surprisingly well together-and the sandalwood note is wonderful in this, slightly warm and spicy. I like it a lot!

I love this PP blend.

The pumpkin is so rich, sweet and buttery but the sandlewood keeps it from being too foody.

Dried down to delicate sweet pumpkin note with minimal sandlewood.

Perfect Autumn scent.

Pumkin Patch #4: I love it! this is very nice! :P I get sweet chocolate pumkin with just a touch of butter and spice. Chocolaty autumn sexiness in a bottle. I do plan on getting a hold of another one. :D

ADDED Nov. 18:

Pumkin Patch #4: Another great blend! This is a spicy incensy pumkin and sweet. This is beautiful exotic autumness and Im glad to have had the opportunity to get a whole bottle. :D

Edited by Reinaluna

Preconceived notions:

I love sandalwood in practically all its incarnations, so I'm really looking forward to trying this. I never would have imagined pumpkin and sandalwood going together, but it sounds surprisingly appealing, and not just to my inner hippie. :D

First sniff:

I took one sniff of this, did a double take, and handed it to my mom for her analysis and we both agree on what we were smelling: yellow cake batter. :D

I have absolutely no idea why this would smell like cake batter, but its uncanny to my nose (and my mom's...could be genetic, I suppose). My best guess is it's the butteriness of the pumpkin mixing with the orris that's doing it, but that's no more than a fairly uneducated guess. I like this, I really do. It's just surprising.

Wet on skin:

No more cake batter (that was truly bizarre). Now I get...pumpkin incense. It's not as strange a combination as it sounds, either. The pumpkin warms the sandalwood and keeps it from being overly dry without jumping out and screaming "Look at me! I'm pumpkin! With incense! Crazy!" I'm not sure I would have known that the warmth was pumpkin if I hadn't been told, it's so well blended.

Dry down:

Warm, pumpkiny incense. This is what I'd love to have my house smell like at Thanksgiving. It's got sandalwood's peacefulness and the pumpkin's warmth and comfort all rolled into one (and I love the sad little pumpkin label, too).

The bottom line:

This exceeds my expectations. I expected something more jarring, but this Patch member is perfectly blended. Hippie Thanksgiving, here I come! :P

Edited by Penance

at first: really sweet pumpkin pie.

on: this smells exactly like pumpkin pie on me.

2 hours later: much lighter and not as sweet or spicy. still warm, but not because of the spices. lovely stuff.

3 hours later: i love sandalwood. this is almost powdery with a base of soft, creamy pumpkin.

overall: another winner. this is great stuff. i'll definitely be wearing this a lot during the next few months.

In the imp: Sweet and nutty with a bit of sour

Wet on skin: All of the sour went bye-bye and it's just pure deelish! It's like a pumpkin-y peacan pie. very buttery, nutty and sweet.

On the Dry Down. Ooooh the spices come out now. I get a nutmegish type of smell that becomes woody and the sandalwood really comes out. This is such a comforting scent!

Overall: Lovely foodie smells that turns in to an outdoorsish woodish scent.

In bottle: more Jack-type buttered bread, but a little more smoky.

On skin: lots of woods, but not incensey like I hoped.

Half-hour later: the "bread" note is peeking out more, but not overpowering.

In conclusion: As you can see from the bare-bones review, this was the hardest for me to pin down. I just couldn't put my finger (nose?) down on anything specific. It wasn't a standout for me; more of a generic "woody" scent with a little bit of baking bread in the background. I wish I got what other people were getting with this one; this would be #5 favorite out of the 5.

One of my two favorites in the Pumpkin Patch series, Beth uses orris as a very good compliment to the Jack-like pumpkin start. After a buttery and semi-spicy beginning with the pumpkin, this blend smoothly transitions into that autumny orris root which goes so "well with". I always get the illusion of a bit of peanuts with orris while it's drying, and that doesn't hurt the blend, it being a Halloween thing and there being a small expectation of candy/foodie component. The sandalwood part must be in there, but it sort of keeps up a suave background music and it is subsumed by the orris and pumpkin in the lead. This one is a surprising and harmonious blend of things you would not think of as going together, but they do! Three cheers to Beth for thinking this one up and letting us all participate in the fun of it.

In bottle: This must be a very orange-colored oil, because when I dabbed it on my skin it was orange as an actual pumpkin. (Cool!) The scent of the fluid is a very dry pumpkin - almost like the scent of pumpkin seeds after they've been toasted in the oven. Mmmm. Crispy.

On me: Wow, I really like this, and I didn't really expect to. It's an incense-y pumpkin, a dry pumpkin that isn't foody at all. While unmistakable, this pumpkin is very different from what you find around this time of year in stores. This isn't pumpkin-and-apple-pie, or pumpkin-and-candy-corn, but pumpkin-and-dry-leaves, which is a delightful and somewhat creepier pumpkin.

This could possibly be my favorite Pumkin Patch scent. I was immediately drawn to it. The sandalwood note is so soothing and smooth. It's got that lovely incensey, woodsy clean feel to it. I wouldn't have thought pumpkin would go well with sandalwood, but it's a really pleasant effect. It's like Jack with a head shop kick. Love it.

Wet: pumpkin with a wavering astringent note.

Dry: Smells like a woody plant pulled up by the roots, and pressing your face into the base, and smelling the rich warm dirt along with the living bark. Much more a living breathing alive wood than most of the woody scents, which I find dry and one dimensional. This has tons of character. Mixing this with some other scents could be awesome. I like it a lot, but wouldn't wear much alone. The pumpkin is very much a warm background note with this.

In the bottle: Smoky pumpkins.

Wet: Dry, strong sandalwood. I can smell the pumpkin in the background but it's predominantly sandalwood.

Drydown: I'm still not sure what orris smells like -- I don't think I've tried enough blends with it as a note -- but this is pretty much pumpkin incense. It's smoky and dark and mysterious.

Final thoughts: It's a nice blend but it's not something I would wear. It's just too dry for me. I like more wet, lush blends.

:D upon initial application this smells like peanut butter which

totally cracks me up ... it fades immediatley......

this one turns into a beautiful smoke and incense type blend....... :D

love this patchy goodness!!! long lasting and heavenly!!

so glad i have a big bottle of this one....

:D :P

First Impression: Very strong sandalwood.

Dries down to: The sandalwood backs off right away and allows the pumpkin and orris to share the stage.

Additional Comments: This is another one I quite like. I agree with the people who said this was pumpkin incense - that's exactly what I get from this oil. I don't know if I'd ever wear it but I'll enjoy it as a home scent.

Lasted: A couple of hours.

Rating: 3 out of 5

In the imp: butttery, slightly artificial pumpkin - not sure about this one. Reminds me a bit too much of Jack (rancid popcorn balls...ick).

On me: Fortunately, that sickly top note evaporates quickly, leaving quite a subtle mix of sandalwood and undefined creaminess that escapes the evil movie theater fake butter smell I had feared. This seems to work well with my skin. A keeper.

THe only pumpkin blend I've tried prior to this was Jack, which was just TOO overwhelming in its sweet butteriness. So I was kind of worried that I was going to be throwing my money away in this decant circle.

#4 is the first one I've tried, and wow, I hope they're all this good. Earthy, sweet, spicy, a little smoky, smooth... outstanding. It makes me think of a pumpkin curry, maybe.

Pumpkin Patch 4 - oh, crap. Sandalwood.

In the bottle: Buttery pumpkin.

On me/wet: At first, it really does have a buttery note I wasn't expecting, but was completely unlike the cloying note in Jack. :P Maybe the dreaded sandalwood note won't come out on me...

Drydown: Well, that was a faint hope. Actually, this has become a very dry, almost incensey blend reminscent of an autumn campfire.

Unfortunately, it passed thru the campfire smell and then headed on til it was almost pure sandalwood. :D

In the bottle: VERY pumpkin. Buttery. Sweet. Almost cloying. I am not a huge pumpkin fan, but I learned to try it on before I judge. Not too sure about this one even though I LOVE LOVE LOVE both sandalwood and orris!

Wet: Still very pumpkin, although now it's a little smokey. But still cloying. I hope this changes a bit on drydown. I really want to like this!

Drydown: Still sweet, pumpkin fading into the background a bit and a more smokey/incense-y sandalwood is coming to the forefront. MUCH better. But still not sure.

Hour later: Okay, this is nice! Sandalwood is prominent with violet-y orris and a mild buttery pumpkin playing tag - running in and out behind the incense-y, smokey sandalwood. Very nice! Complex and fun!

Several hours later: Not as strong as it was, but definitely sandalwood goodness with a touch of something sweet.

Throw: Strong at first, but settles down quickly. After about 4 hours the smell is very subtle - but not gone! You just have to be close to catch it :P

Verdict: I have two bottles, one will go, the other will stay. I won't wear it all the time, certainly not one of my favorites, but definitely a nice sandalwood scent. Warm, upbeat, not too foody, definitely a comfort scent for me.

Edited by SevenSins

In the Bottle: Immediately I'm accosted by the warm spiced pumpkin. Then a bit of something sharp, maybe the orris? I can't smell the sandalwood at all although I'm sure when it hits my skin it'll be all pencil shavings and spice.

Wet: Immediately accosted by the pumpkin which is very salty on my skin. The sandalwood is amazingly tame in this one. I can't smell the orris though. I wonder where it went.

Drydown: Salty pumpkin and pencils. I hate that! Stupid sandalwood! Why do you hate me? I used to wear sandalwood essential oil all the time and it never smelled like pencil shavings. Now it hates me. It's a conspiracy.

I love sandalwood, but the orris just didn't work with my skin. Though, it will not waste. I put it in my oil burner and was so happy.

i think this is my favorite of the pp blends. at first, the pumpkin is overly sweet, but as it dries down, it becomes very centered. the sandlewood is just perfect here, with the pumpkin keeping the sandalwood from going powdery. and i get just the perfect touch of floral underneath. . .if i try hard enough, i smell violet, but i don't know if that's just my imagination. :P

love this oil.

Wet this is buttery mixed with something sweet and sharp. When first on this is spicy sweet cinnamon and sort of a dried potpourri note. Luckily after about an hour the potpourri note fades leaving a lovely floral blend, warm and exotic. I really like this one too! At first the spicyness worried me but this turns out beautifully on me, complex and gorgeous! I thought for sure I wouldn't like this one but was pleasantly surprised.

This blend was on me the most similar to Jack - none of the other notes came out on my skin which is a shame as I was looking forward to trying this blend. cest la vie!

Edited by carolinachiquita

Yum! It goes on buttery-spicy. The sandalwood is a wonderful match to the pumpkin. Dry, it is warm, spicy, cheer mixed with firelogs. Wonderful for a bright cold winter day.