Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin and pomegranate.

What a wonderful juxtaposition! Soft and pumpkiny and warm and spicey with a touch of tartness that slowly grows over the warmth and turns it fruity. This is one of my favorites in the batch because of it's unusual shift. Very nice!

In the imp: this reminds me somewhat of the new Body Shop oil-'Pumpkin and Nectarine'-except here it's the buttery, rich, sweetish scent of pumpkin with a fruity pomegranate note.

Wet on skin: the pomegranate comes out more now-it's sweet with a slight tartness.

Dry on skin: oh, this is surprisingly pleasant. The warm, mellow foody scent of baked pumpkin contrasts and yet blends nicely with the juicy sweet-tangy pomegranate. It's like a slice of pumpkin pie served with a glass of that pomegranate juice I love to drink.

After a while: the pomegranate note gets that bit sweeter and more noticeable, but is nicely balanced with the pumpkin.

Verdict: I never expected pumpkin and pomegranate to go so well together, but lo and behold, Beth made the combination work! The pomegranate here is a sweet one, like the gorgeous pomegranate juice I drink, and the pumpkin has a slight smokiness, a mellow and creamy scent that seems almost like baked pumpkin. This is a lovely scent, simple yet so different, and perfect for autumn.

Origin: Imp from a decant circle

In the Bottle: Well, I get pumpkin and I get pomegranate. But unlike my Persephone where the two notes of pomegranate & rose complement each other, here the notes clash to me.

Wet: Ew, this is very tart. All pomegranate at first.

Drydown: That citrus note stays, and does not go well with the pumpkin for me at all.

Verdict: Well, with five different scents it was quite likely I wouldn't like at least one. This is the one.

juicy and fruity and warm and spicy. not as sharply juicy as the apples in Pumpkin Patch #1.

But this starts out foody and warm and juicy - yummy - but dries down a little less sweet and quite a bit more acidic.

this is my least favorite of the patch, which i expected it to be. pomegranite is usually too tart on my skin for my liking.

wet, this was some sweet pumpkin (more dominant than the other pp's) and cat urine. seriously. my skin turns the pom into cat urine. :D

as it dries the pumkin fades, but the pom doesn't. i woulda been happy if the pom had just been too tart. .... :P

pumpkinpatch3.jpg

Pumpkin and pomegranate...what a combination! Those pumpkin scents are lovable. I get the butter from Jack and the spice background as well, with #3 there is a juicy fruity part coming up and a green tang to it as well (!). This one is full of surprises.Then it veers off wildly into a harder fruit note that lasts about a minute. It isn't unpleasant, it's just not the fresh ripe note you are expecting. Maybe it's really a minty portion, or a part of a volatile aspect to a fruit (which is there in many fruits) but it's not a warm and fuzzy thing, it's sharp.

Just as quickly as the overripe aspect pops up, it dies down and becomes the pomegranate counterpoint to a buttery pumpkin bass. This is an excellent brew for Thanksgiving. It's too "bustlie" for Halloween, not solemn enough. This is more a time of toothy grins, anticipated family get togethers, and who is making the string bean casserole blend. The fruit just gives it the kick of a piquant relish and a bit of grown up sophistication. Very likable blend as a perfume or as a room scent. One other thing, this is a blend that needs a bit of atmosphere between you and it. Don't stick your nose on your skin to smell. Sit back, relax and it is really pretty.

I love Macha's artwork. Gotta have an icon to go with the review and you can't get a better one than that. Look closely and you can make out a pomegranate in the jack o lantern's face!

Edited by olympia301

Preconceived notions:

This one certainly sounds interesting and I love the label (so cute!), but I doubt it's going to work for me. Pomegranate has an inexplicable tendency to turn into gummy bears as soon as it hits my skin and that's not really something I want to smell like, but I'll give it a shot.

First sniff:

Almost all I get from the bottle is pumpkin. Buttery pumpkin. That doesn't bode well, either, since buttery pumpkin tends to make me a little queasy (although it's certainly not something that happens every time I get near a buttery pumpkin scent). I don't really smell the pomegranate, but I do get a very vague sense of fruitiness in the background.

Wet on skin:

Okay, there's the fruit. So far, this is only bordering on gummy bear territory - it hasn't made the full leap yet. I do have to say that this is the truest BPAL pomegranate scent that I've smelled yet and I'm in a good position to judge, having just eaten one of the little beauties...pomegranates, I mean, not the BPAL scents.

This may actually work, surprisingly enough. So far, there's no real gummy bear vibe to speak of (just genuine pomegranate) and the fruit is tempering the pumpkin quite well. It's unexpectedly likeable for me. A very unusual combination in a good way. :P

Dry down:

How weird...one of my wrists smells intensely of slightly gummy bear-like pomegranate with a hint of pumpkin and hte other smells mainly of delicious pumpkin with just a hint of juicy fruit. This is my first experience with different smells from different wrists and I'm amazed. I definitely prefer the more pumpkiny side, but the other is surprisingly likeable as well.

The bottom line:

I didn't expect this to work and I didn't expect to genuinely like it, but I've been proven wrong on both counts. A beautiful, unique combination. :D

at first: very, very sweet and creamy.

on: sweet pumpkin and something tart. this must be the pomegranate one. the sweet creaminess of the pumpkin is balanced nicely with the tart redness of the pomegranate. an interesting combination.

2 hours later: a bit soapy, but still mostly sweet and tart.

3 hours later: fruity, with a creamy pumpkin base underneath.

overall: another winner from the pumpkin patch. lovely. however, i really think this one could work well year-round, not just in the fall.

In bottle: more foody Jack-like bread. I must be crazy, but when I got an imp of Jack, I wrote down "buttered rum bread." I know that doesn't exist, but that's all I think of with these pumpkin scents. Why does it come out like bread on me?

On skin: Yum! Totally different, really tart fruity fruit fruit. The "buttered rum bread" is lurking in the background, but only to keep it from veering into Froot Loops territory.

Half-hour later: not much morph, still tart fruit over bread, like jelly on toast.

Of the 5, this one is my favorite. :P

In bottle: Gorgeous sweetness! The sweet candy-like fruitiness of the pomegranate and the rich buttery pumpkin make an amazing creamy-candy sort of fragrance. I could slather this from head to toe!

On me: Darn. It starts out with the same pretty fragrance in the bottle, but after ten-fifteen minutes on me it dries down to smell remarkably like my boyfriend's BO. Eh. No thanks.

In the bottle: A fruity pumpkiny blend. Interesting. I love pomegranate so I had to try this one first!

Wet: A very, buttery strong pumpkin. I'm about to cry here. Where's my pomegranate?

Drydown: Oooh, there's the pomegranate. It's very, very strong right now with a grounding pumpkin in the background. Lovely.

Final thoughts: This is a bright, fun fall blend. I was lamenting a few weeks ago about how I had no fall-like fruity blends. I love fruity blends, but they're all more suited to spring and summer, not autumn. Apparently, I just got my wish! :P

Wow, I absolutely love Beth's pomegranate note, Swank is one of my favorites. This one is awesome, a fruity, bright, almost sunny pumpkin note overshadowed by the juicy pomegranate. It's bubbly and fun and has the Jolly Rancher fruitiness feel to it. It reminds me of an exotic fruit cocktail you'd drink on the beach.

Love it!

Wet: Well, basically it smells like Jack and Pomegranate. :P

Dry: This is very well balanced! I get a very mellow pomegranate with all the too tangy bits mellowed by the pumpkin, and all the too sweet bits of the pumpkin taken away by the pomegranate. I like it better than PP#1. But it doesn't have much throw, for me. :D

In the bottle - very sweet in a good way. I really like it in the bottle. Immediately I think maybe it would make a great home spray or bulb oil.

My first reaction to it is a carmel, cotton candy, pomegranate fruitiness.

On me - well, it is still very sweet and a little annoying. I do not get much pumpkin at all.

After a while it starts to make me feel like taking a hot shower because I smell like a potpourri basket at Yankee candle. Bummer.

I think I will use it for the house instead of on me. :P

Edited by monet

wet from the bottle this is positively gorgeous!!!!

sweet, juicy pomegranite mixed with a hint of spicy

pumpkin.....after awhile this warms up and fades

considerably...unfortunately for me, this practically

disappears..... :P bummer....

Edited by sookster

First Impression: Mushy fruit.

Dries down to: The pomegranate comes forward and I find it to be really fake-smelling.

Additional Comments: This one doesn't work for me at all. It's a bit better when it dries but not much - it's still acrid and smells like mushy fruit, it's just not as strong as it was initially.

Lasted: A couple of hours.

Rating: 1.5 out of 5

In the imp: artificial buttery pumpkin, with a hint of pomegranate underneath. (hopes for the best as it is applied to the wrist) There's something about that top note on all the Pumpkin Patches that just hits me wrong. Glad it evaporates quickly.

On me: I love pomegranate, and it loves me, so when the top note evaporates, it's absolutely gorgeous. I can't stop smelling myself. I'm getting a bottle of this.

Pumpkin Patch 3.

In the bottle: Am I the only one who thinks this smells just like Amoxicillin, the bubble gum flavored liquid you get as a kid?

On me/wet: Seriously, now. It smells exactly like Amoxicillin. Weird.

Drydown: OK, the pumpkin is beginning to come out some, and the pom has stepped off it's bubble gum high. Although I think I smell kind of like rotting fruit and spice.

Eventually: After going through the bubble gum, pumpkin, and rotten fruit stage, we've finally accomplished a passable fruity, warm, faintly mulling spicey kind of blend. However, the first stages make me not want to really try again with this one.

Why doesn't anyone else smell Amoxicillin???

Hmmm, it looks like we all know beforehand whether the BPAL pomegranate works on us or not. Fortunately on me, pomegranate works like a wonder! It doesn't go candy or sweet, it stays tart, red jeweled pom. :D

The pumpkin...well, and I've tried Jack too and it doesn't smell like pumpkin to me, it smells like butter. In any case, this is OMGWTFBBQ on me! Tart stays, and the buttery "pumpkin" lays low and just tones down the pom. This is delicious from first moment of application. An hour and a half into it, it's smooth and gorgeous. :P

In the Bottle: Oooh high hopes. I'm LOVING the pomegranate smell since Persephone and Hanging Gardens (I'm looking forward to my imp of Swank more and more each day). I'm not really sure how I like this one however. It smells divine with the buttery spiced pumpkin grounding the sharp fruit of the pomegranate. However it takes a few wiffs for me to catch the pom, I'll reserve judgement until tested.

Wet: Buttery salty pumpkin backed by the tangy pom. I guess I just don't like the pumpkin in these. It smells too salty and not at all like the pumpkin I was expecting. I was expecting a -true- pumpkin smell although these are great....just way too foody for me.

Drydown: Still way too foody for me. The pumpkin eventually destroyed all the pom. Sad so very very sad.

Of the first three Patch blends I've tried, this is my favorite to wear. The overwhelming butteriness of the pumpkin is cut by the tart fruit, and it's a really nice, even blend. Lasting power on this set is excellent.

I like this one the best out of them all. It is not a sticky candy sweet, but a light fruit scent that calms down the pumpkin. Odd pairing I thought, but it comes together sweetly.

ITB: Yummy caramel lollypops. No, really! I'm guessing it's the butter that's giving me that hit. If I sniff repeatedly I can smell the pomegranate just a bit.

On: Now the pomegranate sharpens the scent, but I can still smell the buttery caramel underneath. It's a bit unsettling, actually.

Dry: The scent has melded now into a warm, rich scent, but the pomegranate gives it an edge and keeps it from being too heavy. I like it alot, and am surprised that it is much less foody than I would expect. I could see myself wearing this now and again, although I don't think I'll need a bottle.

For a while, this was straight up pomegranate single note, then I got a little bit of a burnt nutty quality, then more pom single note, and then finally, it settled into a warm mingling of raw, fleshy pumpkin spice and slightly bitter pomegrante. Overall, not exactly my thing, but it was kind of growing on me when it vanished.

Wet this is buttery pumpkin and juicy pomegranate! :P When first on this smells the same but there's something else in here giving depth to the blend. I'm not sure what note this is but it's lovely so far. This one doesn't morph much on me but it's absolutely lovely throughout! This dries down to a very soft, lightly sweet, close to the skin scent. Love this one too!