Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin and pomegranate.

ETA: I meant to say, this is the '05 formulation.

Spring cleaning the BPAL stash; realized I hadn't tested this one out yet, so figured I ought to.

in bottle: warm pumpkin. I tried it before I went to look up the review, so I couldn't remember which note it was supposed to be.

On, wet: uh oh. Getting that nutty pumpkin smell that I got from Jack (which made me sick.) However, I've since learned with the pumpkin scents to ride it out a little and see what happens.

drydown: sure enough, the overwhelming nuttiness is calming down. it's getting sweeter. still pumpkin. i smell something warm and spicy like cocoa-at this point i went to the reviews to see what it was supposed to be. oh. pomegranate? I guess the warm sweet thing I was smelling was the pumpkin.

dry, 5 mins later: I am smelling the tartness now a bit, but unfortunately this one is fading fast, and I'm rapidly not smelling much of anything...just a faint sweet scent. :P

Maybe I'll give this one more shot, and try really lathering it on... Edited by Shollin

I love Jack, and I love pomegranate, but I hate Swank, so I didn't know how this would work, but I bought a decant anyway. Luckily, it must be the booze notes in Swank that disagreed with me, because I also love this.

It doesn't smell like much in the bottle-- just a light pumpkiny smell. But on, it's very much pumpkin and pomegranate, very easy to identify. I find the pumpkin scent in this to be much less overpoweringly buttery than Jack, which I think works much better with the tart pom. I think I need to slather this on a bit more than I did, because it seems to fade quickly. The scents blend together a bit more as it fades. I might try and find a bottle simply because you need to use a lot of it.

In the imp: Jack?

On Skin: The butteryness of Jack, the pumpkin and just a slight citrus edge. Heavier than I expected.

On Drydown: Slightly lighter than Jack, not as citrusy as Pumpkin Queen though.

Verdict: Not so fond of this formulation. I think PP#1 is my favorite, and that comes second to Pumpkin Queen. I'm glad I got to try it though.

2005 version

Short review: fruity pumpkin (surprise)

In depth: My first impression was "Fruity Misk U?" but I think that was just the pumpkin being tricksy with me. Besides, I can't pretend to be a big pumpkin connoisseur, this is my first try actually. The pumpkin is not buttery in scent as I had feared, the butteryness is more like a feeling. Sort of a rich, foody - but-not-too-foody, scent. The pomegranate is a nice and subtle fruity touch. I really like this pumpkin and I'm glad to have a bit of it!

Historically I don't do that well with pomegranate in perfumes. For some reason as soon as it hits my skin it smells like bathroom air freshener.

Enter PP#3. The only pomegranate scent I've found so far that I can wear.

I can only smell the pumpkin right at first, and even then just a hint of it. This scent is so sweet and candy-like that it's comparable to Midwinter's Eve or Bordello. It's not the same scent, but it's that sweet on me. Just smells like candy. Not pumpkin-flavored candy, just fruity candy. Sugary, even.

I think of the Pumpkin Patches as being pumpkin scents, even though two of them don't smell like pumpkin at all on me. So most of the time I forget I even have this one. When I think I might like to wear a sweet scent, I never automatically think of the Pumpkin Patch. I ought to leave this one out in a prominent place so that I remember it.

the pumpkin is really dominant at first. the butteriness remains as it dried and a little bit of the tart pomegranate starts to come through. i do love pumpkin but this just isn't distinctive enough.

In bottle: Mostly pomegranate, very tart. Wet: The tartness is cut by pumpkin sweetness. The effect is pleasing if fruity perfume is your thing. Dry: Gets much sweeter. Smells rather like raspberries. No really.

In the bottle: Butterscotch and grapey-fruit.

Wet: Same, a bit fruitier - grapey-pomegranate.

Dry: Butterscotch fading fast. Primarily apple and spice now - much like mulled cider spiked with a wee bit of tart pomegranate. Definitely cinnamon and allspice, maybe other spices as well as well.

Summary: Warm, gentle spice and a hint of appley-fruit in the final drydown. Maybe I got PP#1?

Regardless, I don't do spices.

2005 version

In vial: very pretty, fruity pumpkin.

Wet on skin: this is the most pumpkinny of the bunch. Light, fruity and pretty.

Dry on skin: this reminds me of something light and golden in the GC, possibly Loralei. It's very pretty and wearable. Very short wear length.

Nommy. Pumpkin and pomengranate.

Buttery, creamy spicy pumpkin and tart, sweet pom's. The two combine together beautifully.

In the bottle, this has more of the buttery pumpkin smell (like Jack), which had me worried because Jack didn’t work on me at all. And after a rocky drydown period where it approached plastic, the scent settled into an interesting mix of spicy (the pumpkin) and bittersweet (the pomegranate). They compliment each other nicely, not battling for dominance but working together. I do prefer my other pumpkin scents, but this one would be nice to mix in for a bit of variety. It’s a late autumn scent that could be worn into winter.

'06 version

In imp: warm pumpkin

Wet: still warm pumpkin, with a tiiiiny bit of fruity

Dry: ...plastic? with a bit more fruit.

And here I thought pumpkin just wouldn't agree with me..

Imp: Caramel popcorn with something overly sweet and fruity (almost like bubblegum). Reminds me of Lady McBeth.

Wet: Creamy, buttery, popcorn-like pumpkin (must be roasted butternut). Doesn't turn sour our into fennel/celery on my skin. Pomgranate fits really well in there but is a bit too sweet for my taste.

Dry: Oh, sniff-a-thon! This could very well become my "popcorn" scents. It's very warm, rich, sweet and comforting. So delicious I wanna drink it! Must order more pumpkin scents this fall!

I have two PP from '05 and this one is almost done... maybe an imps worth left in bottle. I tend to think of it as a warm comforting smell and the first bpal that sold me on foodie scents. Creamy, a bit spicy like a pumpkin pie with a sharp undercurrent probably from the pomegranate. Like eating pumpkin pie and having apple cider mulling in background.... Not good at describing scents so thats all folks

ITB: While this only has two notes listed, it smells like there is a yeasty pie-crust tone in there along with the pumpkin and the pomegranate. It's not bad, but more foody than I had expected.

Wet: It's pomegranate, but more of a candy than the fruit itself. There is a bit of buttery pumpkin present, but the pomegranate is rather strong at the moment.

Dry: The pomegranate becomes soft and almost floral, under which the pumpkin subtly resides. It reminds me of a really pretty candle at the Yankee store.

Bottle received from swap. I don't see a year on it, so I'm guessing this is the first (2005) version. I could be wrong, though. 

In the bottle: Yup, candy pomegranate over creamy, buttery pumpkin. It's simple, but it's good. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's the same as in the bottle. The pumpkin rounds out and supports and softens the pomegranate in a way that is really nice. 

This doesn't morph or get more complex on me, and I'm totally okay with that. I love the pomegranate-backed-by-something-less-fruity that is Pomegranate Grove: Snake Oil. While this isn't as complex a scent as that, it definitely serves as a way to highlight the pom note without it being too candy-like or cloying.