Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin with apple cider and mulling spice.

I am pretty much certain this is #1 I'm testing...my imps are not labelled but I know apples and spice when I smell them.

I wasn't interested in trying this blend initially because I don't care for cider or apple or spices. But now I'm convinced. This is amazing! This is what I hoped Harvest Moon would have been like. Like I said, I normally wouldn't care less about a spicy cider scent but this is the most fresh, appealing scent of its kind I've ever encountered.

The pumpkin smell that makes me sick is not present in this oil to my nose...at least not when I apply it. It's overcome with apple and spices immediately. It's pure, crisp, fresh apple...the freshest I've ever smelled. A freshly-cut golden apple. A spice cabinet, not a craft store. This is so good. Very very good.

If a person who hates pumpkin smells, apple and cinnamony spice smells tells you this is OMFG unbelievable you know it has to be good. :P You've done it to me again BPAL. I love something I thought I'd hate. This is the one I wish I had a bottle of now. Also, I'm suddenly an apple fan! Maybe it's just the time of year, but I'm ready to go retry Hesperides and Verdandi now too.

Origin: Imp from a decant circle

In the Bottle: pies baking...cider mulling on the stove. I'm getting annoying whiffs of PP#2...I think that imp leaked just a little in the package. Very much the Thanksgiving kitchen.

Wet: I get a flash of pumpkin, then the spices take over for a while.

Drydown: My three-year-old tells me I smell like cookies baking. Lots of apple and a very strong presence of sweet cinnamon.

Verdict: I'm not sure I like it on me, but I think this will be a great scent for my oil burner.

I don't drink, so I'll assume that cider smells mainly like boozy fermented apples... Here goes with the review

I dab this on, and I smell crisp green apples. The same crisp green apples that overwhelmed The Hesperides on me, although there the apple was a very dry note, wheras here the blend is sweeter and a little warmer.

As it dries, the blend smells even sweeter; is this the cider coming out to play?

I don't smell very much warm round pumpkin in this until it dries down, but even then, the warmth of the pumpkin is subsumed underneath the crisp acidity of the apples and the sweet spiciness of the cider and spice.

I thought this would be my favorite of the pumpkin patch--but its not. But it is very enjoyable! In the bottle the apples are quite distinctive, which i like. It reminds me of Pumpkin King mixed with Samhain.

On, that loveliness continues: crisp apples, cider, pumpkin pie spices, but not quite the creaminess of pumpkin pie.

And I have to disagree with Josey on this: I think Pumpkin Patch 1 is a fairly good substitute for Pumpkin King. To test this out (before I read these reviews, btw), I put pp1 on one wrist, PK on the other. At first, they were noticeably different: PP1 has the crispness of apples and lacks the creamy vanilla-esque notes I associate with PK. PK seemed more like pumpkin pie and sweets and less cidery.

But after an hour or so, the difference between the two was barely noticeable. PK is a bit sweeter/spicier to my nose, but like I said, that difference fades. After two hours both still lingered, but I liked PP1 slightly better--there is some note that comes out in the final stages of PK which is not appealing to me--something very slightly plasticy. Funny, I never noticed it til I compared the two.

So I'm delighted with PP1, both on its own merits, and as a stand in for Pumpkin King.

In the bottle: very buttery fall baking in a warm kitchen.

On my skin: As it dries, I get a very strange piney note that fades after about 20 mins. It smells nothing like the bottle, but it still smells very foody and very fall-like. My skin brings out the cider, and the mulling spices give it a bit of a "dried flowers and spices" kick. Oddly, this smells exactly like Harvest Moon 2005 minus the florals.

Very tangy. I like it.

at first: lots of apple.

on: a light apple and pumpkin. a great fall scent. the spices are there, but in the background.

1 hour later: the spices are coming forward and the scent is more like apple cider with a slight hint of pumpkin.

5 hours later: this is more spicy and dry now.

overall: this is nice, but not really something i can see myself wearing often.

I really, really love this blend! :P The apple fades on me a bit sooner than I'd like, so I'm planning to "boost" it a bit with some green apple that I got Somewhere Else (blush), but I think I definitely need another bottle.

This and the cocoa one are my favorites so far of the Pumpkin Patch ones. Wonderful! :D

I was looking forward to PP#1, as I luuuuv appley cider.:P

In bottle: strong butter. This is kinda what Jack smells like on me, which I'm not a huge fan of.

Wet on skin: WOW! Totally different from the bottle -- strong apple cider.

Half-hour later: it's matured to less-sweet mulling spices. The foody bread-like undertone from the bottle has reappeared, but is a step away from Jack.

In conclusion: very interesting and complicated. A great autumn blend!

In the Imp: Tart juicy apple! No more, no less! It's like biting in to a big ripe fall apple. perfect!

Wet On Skin: The apple fades a bit and there is a waxy smell that is coming off my skin. It's like an apple candle.

Drydown: It didn't change much from wet to dry except the pumpkin finally came out. It's a very warm sensation, but I wish the waxy smell would go away.

Overall: Warm and soothing pumpkin and apple. Who knew that a simple I wish this one worked on me because it's like a lovely mug of hot cider in the imp, but on me it's like a craft store. :P

In bottle: The pumpkin gives the blend a slightly buttery note, but by and large it is apple cider. A positively perfect autumn apple cider, mind you.

On me: Pumpkin is much more dominant on the skin. This is an autumn kitchen-in-a-bottle to me; rich pumpkin and spiced apple cider. This actually makes me think of work - this year we sold four autumn fragrances, Plum, Apple, Pumpkin and Caramel - and a candle was made with all the fragrances except Plum. When the Apple, Pumpkin, and Caramel burned together, they smelled so damn similar to this perfume. Wow. It really amazes me.

Pumpkin Patch 1

In the imp: sweet, rich pumpkin, juicy crisp apple, and the slightest hint of spice.

Wet on skin: I get that strange ‘grainy/beer’ scent I get from cider scents, but it’s not unpleasant.

Dry: whoa, apple cider aplenty! The pumpkin is just a side note because here it’s the cider that takes centre stage. The spice note is very mild, it’s there but doesn’t overtake. I do wish it were a bit stronger. It reminds me of Harvest Moon 05 with baked pumpkin and without the pears in wine. Very autumnal, and quite delicious!

After a while: that strange beer/grain note goes away, and the pumpkin does it’s usual trick of intensifying slowly until it becomes prominent, and in here, it blends fabulously with the apple which also becomes sweeter and fuller. This is like an upgraded Pumpkin King. If PK was fresh cut pumpkin baking in a pie with fresh apples and spices, then this is the completed pumpkin pie-the pumpkin is fully baked, the apples have now been made into cider and there are spices added to it, and it’s served with spicy baked apples. This is a wonderful autumn dessert scent. The more I smell, the more I love this.

Verdict: this is the PP scent which screams ‘autumn’ or ‘harvest’ most out of all of them. A gorgeous and yummy blend of rich full bodied cooked pumpkin, and spicy baked apples served with cider. This is the sort of thing I would love to eat on an autumn day…this scent is rich but not nauseating. I know this may sound like sacrilege, but I prefer this to Pumpkin King-it’s stronger and has more throw, it’s fuller and I have a feeling it will last longer on my skin. My favourite out of the Patch.

In the bottle: Pumpkin mixed with cider. Okay.

Wet: Um. Damn. I can tell this is a beautiful blend. Really, I can. But my skin chemistry is totally not beautiful. *weeps* It becomes this odd mix of tart apples, mulled cider & spices. In theory, that sounds lovely. On my skin, not so lovely because they're not blending and smelling vaguely medicinal. I don't know what's going on!

Drydown: But in the end, that doesn't matter. Because the spices apparently include cinnamon and now I smell like red-hots. *shakes fist* Damn you, cinnamon!!

Final thoughts: I'm really bummed this didn't work on me. And no, it's nothing like Pumpkin King. Alas.

Wet: Mostly Jack, with a spicy apple back. I find the PP pumpkin base to be exactly like Jack, which is fiiiiine with me!!!

Dry: Not appreciably different from wet. It's very sweet, I get more baked apple with spices on it immersed in Jack than the people who get fresh apple. For me the apple is very subtle. Strangely for me this is the PP that works least, when I expected it to be the one I liked MOST. But it is very nice, especially after a lengthy dry-down when the notes finally stop warring and a gentle softly spiced sweetness starts.

Edited by AlaskaSnows

My first thought with this was: Jack. But let's say PP #1 is Jack's taller, slender brother, with the lack of all that butteriness. My bf hates Jack because of the buttery note, but he really likes this. I get mostly apple cider, definitely the mulling spices, and the pumpkin seems to play a role here that's odd- upon drydown this almost reaches a strange perfume-like state on my skin.

But this is a perfect Autumn blend. There's a certain crispness to it, but the coziness of the spices evens it all out.

This one reminds me of a store I use to go in with my mom when I was little, it was appropriately called "The Apple Tree." The apple is defintely on top in this blend, followed closely by the mulling spices. The pumpkin is more of an undershadow here, but combined it makes for a pretty delicious blend. This is about as harvesty as any blend gets; definitely makes me think of pumpkin carving, apple picking and hot cider. I love this as I have loved all the pumkin patch blends. They will certainly be some of the jewels of my collection.

uber spicy and cinnamonny goodness

:P ...after awhile it dries down beautifully to

a delish candy apple blend...very strong & long

lasting and a sheer delight for autumn and

winter wear...love this!!!

First Impression: Strong pumpkin & Spices.

Dries down to: Almost immediately, the apple comes out and overpowers the pumpkins and spices. Then, a few minutes later, the apple tones down and it all blends into a mulled apple cider.

Additional Comments: This is a crispy apple scent, not a soft mushy one. It reminds me a bit of The Hesperides. I really like this one - it's fruity but not sweet and has a nice spicy warmth to it.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 4 out of 5

I love Harvest Moon and Samhain, so I guess you could say that I love the apple/spicy blends quite a bit. I thought this one sounded fantastic, and I was right. This is totally gorgeous from first sniff. Spicy apples, yummy! Buttery yumness! What more could anyone want? OK, can you tell that I love this? I really do.

If you like butter and apple/spice...run to the boards and finagle what you can of this one, I know I will! :P

Pumpkin Patch 1

In the bottle: Buttery, and almost nutty. Like a buttery Hesperides.

On me/wet: Well, nutty apple. Almost too apple-y. Very sharp, and so far I feel like I'm wearing cheap potpourri. :D

Drydown: Hmmm. I got distracted for 20 minutes and now this smells so much better! Cinnamon and spices have mellowed the apple scent and the not-so-good buttery/almost nutty note faded into the background. :D Now I feel that I should be wearing a sweater and drinking apple cider on a crisp fall day.

2 hours later: Gone. Not a whiff remains.

Well, I do like it. I don't think I'd wear it, and it remains to be seen if I'd enjoy it as a room scent. Final verdict - :P undecided.

I figured this would be my favorite Patch scent, and I actually really hate it. The buttery pumpkin mixed with the heavy spices is cloying and makes me sick. No apples, nuts, or anything else tempers it -- just spicy richness.

In the imp: I'm smelling a lot of buttery pumpkin. It actually doesn't smell that much different than Jack to me wet, but I'm betting that's just because pumpkin is a heavy note and my nose can't pick out the other notes in the imp.

Wet: As soon as this touches my skin, something sweet, but astringent rises up. I think it's the apples.

Dry down: This was the pumpkin patch I expected to like the best as I did so well with mulling spices in Tintagel. Unfortunately, as this dries it doesn't do the lovely things it has done on others...it turns into a generic mish-mash potpourri scent. I smell like the inside of a Michael's. It's not a bad smell, just a very non-specific and kind of overwhelming on. Not me.

OK. On to the next pumpkin... I'm saving this one for the Meet n sniff in AA, Mich if we have it...

When I wore this, I thought of bobbing for apples at a Halloween Party. The freshness of the apple with the a Jack O'Lantern in the back. Autumn at it best!

Wow. This is all spicy apple on me. The pumpkin that I love isn't as prominent in this blend, making it go kinda potpourri (sp?) smelly on me. I only just applied, so maybe it'll lighten up a bit.

This one started off like Jack on me (I was a bit disappointed at first as I wanted it to be very different!) however the appley cider came out within a few mins and it smells really nice. Its a warm and sweet boozy cider - I think it really suits this weather!

This has the apple from The Hesperides, rather than the apple from Delirium and Verdandi -- thick, fresh, tart, juicy, green, sensual apple. The spice is very subtle till it hits my skin, and we have a war between the apple and the spice. The apple lasts just a little while -- maybe 20 minutes -- then we have spice. The pumpkin ran away, screaming, scared of the battle between the spice and the apple. It didn't last but an hour on me, at most. Ah, but it's so pretty and smooth in the bottle!