Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin with apple cider and mulling spice.

Pumpkin with apples and spice makes for the most wonderful fall perfume. All of the best food scents of autumn are in this oil. I never realized quite how much I would enjoy Beth's pumpkin blends but this is my second PP scent that I've tried and loved. Sweet pumpkin mixed with tangy apples that give it a crisp edge and spices to give it warthm and depth - simply divine :P

post-57-1133858092.png

This smells like pumpkin, apples & caramel. Like a perfect pie or something. It is definately foody & warm. I love it & will get much use out of it! Thank you Beth for making such a great set, all of them are perfect & I dont think I could do without one!

In the bottle: Buttery pumpkin, with tangy apple.

On: For me, the apple kind of takes over and runs around screaming for a while. This is a crisp, green smelling apple, rather than the more mellow spicy apple cider I was expecting. After a few minutes, the mulling spices are more apparent, and the apple starts to blend in a bit more.

With my chemistry, the pumpkin stays in the background, but the spiced apple scent is the best approximation of mulled cider I've smelled. This scent is curling up with a jumbo-sized mug of hot cider - maybe with a slice of orange floating in it - and watching the storm outside. Very cozy.

Muuiuullleeeed ciiiiiideeeeeerrrrrr!

SQUEE!

Fresh fall apples mellows into spiced warm cider with a touch of pumpkin underneath. Foody, autumnal, fresh, gorgeous. It's all the things I love about fall scents in a bottle and a DEFINITE keeper for me. Gorgeous!

Fresh pumpkin, and apple cider. No whimpy apple juice smell here, it is bursting with apples, sweet with the pulp, and that back of the throat tickle of real apple cider. There is a sprinkling of spice on the top.

It is sweet, and delightful. The smell of Halloween parties, spiced cider and carved pumpkins. :P

Edited by Finny

Wow. What a morpher!

First whiff on skin - pumpkin, that slightly squashy note I get from all of the Patch, followed by a blast of cloves and peppery spices, then a crisp, extremely true burst of apples, freshly cored... and then they just... blend! It's just like spiced cider simmering on a stove. Yum.

Yay! Pumpkin Patch!

This is the Halloween scent for which I had the highest hopes, and it doesn't disappoint.

It starts out with a very buttery pumpkin note, which is not my favorite, but the super-buttery note dries away in a half an hour or so, and this becomes very appley. There's a hint of something sweet at the back, perhaps that's the pumpkin again. I do wish the spices were a bit more predominate on my skin, but I can smell them, and they do become more prominent after quite some time.

Gorgeous!

This and the woods/ivy pumpkin were my favorite blends in the pumpkin patch.

This is :D apple cider in a BPAL bottle. I am very tempted to drink it. For everyone who was looking for an apple cider scent, this one is lovely. It's like having a mug of apple cider and a slice of pumpkin pie while sitting outside in the chilly autumn air.

This reminds me of The Hesperides and the Pumpkin King, only better. :P

I can only add another ringing endorsement of this scent to the mix.

Gorgeous apples and spice with a hint of fresh pumpkin on my skin, wears beautifully and lasts forever. Autumn coziness in a bottle.

No butter in sight, for those who are scared of potential buttery Jack-ness.

Brava!

in the bottle spicey pumpkin wine

wet ahh there are the apples, and mulling spices, this actually smells of a fresh granny smith, slightly tart apple

this is almost all apples and spices, but the apple is a fresh juicy wet apple, amazing how beth does that, there is the slightest hint of pumpkin, that gooey squashish smell, but it just deepens the fragrance. just lovely

Yum! Apple cider with mulling spices and the type of pumpkin I get from Jack---but with a tamed-down butter note. This is absolutely yummy and not too sweet or too spicy.

Gah! So good. This is now at the top of my favorite BPAL autumn blends list.

This is a beautiful blend. I do not have beautiful chemistry.

Almost immediately upon application, this blooms into a juicy, tart, very green apple with a lucious underpinning of warm pumpkin and a bit of spice. The apple gets stronger and stronger on me, making this beautifully balanced - the freshness of the apple and the sweet foodiness of the pumpkin and spices work beautifully together and for one perfect moment I am in heaven.

Then cinnamon (I believe it's the culprit) does what it likes to do on me, with rare exception. It struts in and throttles everything else in the blend. Goodbye apple and pumpkin, hello headache-inducing sharp, screaming one-dimesional Yankee Candle.

But ah, that one moment...

Wet - wow, yea, that's pumpking alright. Not the buttery pumpkin of Jack or the spicy pumpkin of Pumpkin King, this baby is all pumpkin.

Dry - it takes awhile but the apple cider finally comes to the party and then I get pumpkin and apple side by side. They never really blend together though, it's more like two separate scents sitting together in separate chairs. The mulling spices are hiding around the corner; they are there but just barely. I personally would prefer a bit more spice to this, but that's just me. I was expecting this to be my favorite of the Pumpkin Patch blends, and I like it well enough, but I don't love it as much as I was expecting to.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4.

Edited by wickedgoddess

This is Jack without the butter overload (although it still smells mildly buttery) and with spiced apples instead of peaches. Very nice, but not my favorite of the Pumpkin Patch scents (I so thought it would be!).

To anyone who is curious, this smells absolutely nothing like Pumpkin King.

upon first application, this smells of pure cider.... and then becomes crisp apples with a tiny bit of the cider/spices floating in the background. like i was at a farm stand where they sold both, and behind the counter was the cider, but right up under my nose was the apple.

i can't believe that this actually works with my chemistry! i thought i'd end up swapping it away, but no! fab!

what lovely autumny goodness!

n.

Pumpkin Patch 1

First off, disclaimer: I don't really like pumpkin blends. This opinion is based solely on testing both the old and new formulation of Jack. So maybe I don't like butter. :P

In the bottle: Immediately something sharp hits me but dissipates so quickly I can't really place it. Cinnamon? The sharp kaPOW is replaced with lovely mulled cider. Very nice.

Wet/drydown: The apple gets sweeter, juicier. I'm not getting a straightforward squashiness, but something is amping up the sweetness. In fact, this is getting really, almost unbearably sweet on me.

Later: This smells exactly like a tiny lipstick I used that was part of a "dress up" kit for girls. Sugar sweet with a strange potpourri tang.

I'll be testing out the other four blends (thanks to OriginalWacky!) and maybe I'll be able to finally decide how I feel about Beth's pumpkins. (Hm. Sounds a bit lascivious. :D)

ETA: Four hours later and HOT DAMN. This smells sooo good. It's all spicy dark yumminess with only a hint of the super sweetness from before. I'm even getting a slight incense note. Maybe my skin eats pumpkin and makes the incense? Am I gonna hafta rethink this whole pumpkin thing? Can't stop smelling my wrist = must be a good thing!

Edited by darkitysnark

I don't know why, but I was really surprised by how much this oil really smells like apple cider on my skin! It smells most exact and genuine while it's drying down - in the beginning, when it's freshly wet, I find it a little bit odd. I think it's the whole buttery pumpkin thing - wet, it weirds me out a little! But after a few seconds on my skin, the weirdness vanishes and it's all spiced cider goodness.

After it's dry, it's more spice, with just a little apple sweetness. I like this one a lot, as has been a pretty common theme so far with the Patch. :P

Wow, I thought this would be my dream blend and indeed at first I smell something sweet with an undertone of spicy warm apple cider.

The apple cider just takes over though, squashes the pumpkin into oblivion and sits there being all plump and appley.

Apples apples...

time passing...

sweet apples on my wrist.

Not the yummy sharp spicy apples from Harvest Moon '05, but kinda... plasticy apples.

I can't believe this doesn't suit me. Two things I love not working together on my skin? Treason!

Preconceived notions:

I've had bad luck with BPAL's pumpkin blends in the past: Jack makes me queasy and Pumpkin King turned into burnt straw for some inexplicable reason. The only one that's worked has been Samhain and I get no pumpkin whatsoever from it. I'm not giving up yet on finding a pumpkin scent that I can actually wear and smell the pumpkin in and this is looking to be the most promising since I was dying for an apple cider scent and a pumpkin scent I could wear, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

First sniff:

I had to double check and make sure I had the right bottle because my nose has trouble identifying this blend for some reason. There's something almost buttery at the top of the scent that was confusing me...it has to be the pumpkin, but I don't normally think of (non-BPAL) pumpkin as being buttery. When I inhale deeply I can smell the apple cider, though. I just needed to be sure of what I was smelling first, I guess.

Wet on skin:

Whoa, there's the apple cider! As soon as I put this on, I get macintosh apples and spices in a big way. This is almost identical (on me) to Yankee Candle's Macintosh scent with mulling spices added. This is perfect. The pumpkin's lurking around in the background and giving this some depth, but it's not overpowering. This is a wonderful scent for autumn and as long as it doesn't change on me, it's exactly what I've been looking for. :D

Dry down:

The spices are really amping up as this dries so that it's more spice than apple right now, but that's fine. This reminds me of working at the yearly Apple Festival when I was still living in Ohio. I was always in charge of running the apple cider area and this is the smell of apple cider in the making and the final product, all rolled into one. The cinnamon is especially strong, but it's not overwhelming really...it turns this from an apple and pumpkin scent into an apple cider and pumpkin pie scent.

The bottom line:

Very autumnal, but I think this could be perfect for Christmas, too. :P

I was quite apprehensive about this one. I'm not a big fan of fruit, and I've never much liked apple-scented things. They always seemed so country and annoying, and it was one of the pumpkin patch scents I thought I'd like the least.

Of course, this is clearly because I had only experienced BAD apple scents, not the gorgeousness of this one!

In the imp, this is evenly balanced between rich, buttery pumpkin and bright apple with a hint of spice.

Once it hits my skin, the apple just blooms. Very bright, and mouth-watering, really. It quickly settles into a warm cider smell, with just a hint of pumpkin to ground it. Very lovely, and cozy. This is a fabulous holiday scent, and would make a good room scent.

As it dries down, the spices round the apples out, and the pumpkin comes back a bit more. Like someone else said, this is apple cider and pumpkin pie, with a fire.

I really like this. It's very seasonal, but I could find good uses for it.

This started out very sharp and astringent with an acidic fruity ozone note. There was just the barest hint of pumpkin. As it dried, it changed into a sort of spicy apple scent that is very much reminiscent of potpourri or room spray. It doesn't quite smell like I thought it would and it still retains a bit of an astringent note somehow.

Yum This one is a lot like fruit punch with spices at first. Then it mellows out and I get the apple and pumpkin. I like it layered with devil's night. Really tasty.

OMG Pumpkin! I adore pumpkin, but this is...wow!pumpkin.

In the Bottle: The first note I pick up is pumpkin. It's weirdly pumpkin, though, a buit synthetic-smelling. This may be the apple in the background, but immediately all I smell is pumpkin.

Wet: Pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin. It's pumpkin in a not-pumpkin-pie kind of way--not too buttery, but not terribly sharp or anything. It's a very mellow pumpkin.

Drydown: Wow. As the OMG!pumpkin! fades, there's a sharp, sharp, sharp apple in there. There are very faint spices, like when someone has spilled apple cider on their clothes and comes to talk to you after trying to wash it off. It's a perfect apple cider smell, I think, if one can get over the apples that are currently trying to claw my nose off. these are absolutely vicious apples!

Half an Hour: This stuff is odd...I was expecting to immediately and unequivocably love it, then mourn because I wouldn't be able to get more without buying the full set, but I'm rather ambivalent toward it right now. I think I may have put too much on, because it is potent. Like wow, potent. All I can smell around me is apples, apples, apples, and only upon putting my nose to my wrist can I smell the pumpkin at all, which isn't really a good thing as the apples immediately go on the defensive when I get that close. I dabbed a little bit on in the computer lab because I'm sitting next to the window and figured that no one would be too bothered by it--I only used a half-swipe of an imp-wand on each wrist--but the other people in the room are compulsively sniffling, as if the apples were attacking them, too. I really hope this mellows out, because it is really drowning me in apple cider.

One Hour: It's not quite one hour but all I'm smelling is apples, apples, apples. I can't smell the pumpkin at all, and I'm too scared of singing my nostrils to stick my nose to my wrist to check for it. This is just too much apple cider for me to wear.

Overall: This'll show me to be a sheep! I ordered the imp because I love fruit and pumpkin smells, and the reviews for this one were just too good to resist. I'll agree that it's a decent enough scent, and I think I'm going to keep the imp--maybe test it later to see if I was just being sensitive today, or if my chemistry really did amp up the apples to amazing proportions. However, it's just waaaay too much for me to wear. At this point, it's going in the "try it again later" pile, and if it doesn't make it from there, it's off to the swap pile to go home with someone who doesn't feel like a suckling pig gagging on the apple.

On me, this comes across as a very strong cinnamon apple potpourri/room freshener type scent. It gets more and more potpourri-esque as time goes on. I was pretty surprised by this, since I find the apples and spices in many other BPAL blends to be pleasant and mellow (like Samhain, for example). I wonder what makes this one different?

In conclusion-- this is waaaaaay too strong for me.

117457304.jpg

Here's a pic of the bottle http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL202/154131...4/117457463.jpg

In the bottle

cider meh

On

The one that I had the least interest in is so far the most appealing of the 3 PP blends I've tried so far.

WOW.

It's more apple-y than I imagined, which is a real treat. I love Beth's blends where you can actually smell the yellow delicious apple in it.

30 minutes

It's really spicy and nice with clove, pepper, cinnamon, and this fresh golden delicious apple smell that is so fresh. :P

Throw:

average

Scent category:

fruity/spicy

Summary

It's just as crisp appley and fresh spicy as you could possibly hope it would be.

Purchase again?

Hell yeah.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

5 I think this is even better than BPAL's "Samhain" (2004,haven't tried 2005 yet).