Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A soft, innocent blend, touched with a funereal, gloom-filled air: wild peony, sweet pea, cucumber and white sage with sea lilies and moss.

In the bottle this is a different, but mostly pleasant light floral, with a sharp tang that could go either way. On me, OMFG, it is horrid. The only good thing about it was that it didn't last long. I was seriously wanting to go wash my arms off and couldn't because I was working. But it was gone in just over an hour, thank goodness. :D

I've had some BPal scents I didn't care for so much, but this is the first one I absolutely can't wear. It is also my first sad experience with my chemistry changing a scent, at least as far as BPal is concerned. I don't know if this contains ozone, it isn't listed, but it smelled on me the way I imagine ozone to smell. I've avoided it, because it doesn't sound nice to me, though I guess an imp to just find out for sure would be interesting.

I'm definately not keeping this one. I'm disappointed, but it had to happen sooner or later! :P

OMG omg omg omg.

I tried this awhile back while I was working but I didn't pay much attention to it because I was busy, but I kept catching whiffs of it floating up and it made me feel so pretty even though I was filthy.

I'm actually testing it for real this time, studying it. Honestly, when it came out I thought Al-Araaf would work on me better than this one but I was so completely wrong. This smells FANTASTIC. I love the mix of sweet pea and cucumber. It is very perfumey, but I kind of like that personally. >.>

Then it dries down and it becomes more subtle and even more beautiful. WOW. I am kicking myself for not ordering a bottle of this when I had the chance and taking this long to test it out.

Wanna know what's strange? Annabel Lee is my favorite poem. Has been for like 10 years. So it's like it was made for me or something. Going in my top 10.

This is an adorable scent. Calming and peaceful. I bought the bottle unsniffed because I am a Poe nut. And the reviews were very good. So glad I did!

It is very light, clean, innocent and pale. Flowery, but not heady at all, these are very modest but very lovely flowers. The sweet pea is there, but doesn't dominate. There is a pale green watery (as in dew) freshness that must be the cucumber. And some other pale flowers I can't tell. The moss and sage must be grounding it a bit, but never getting earthy, and as it dries down, I seem to perceive a more grassy green sweet smell. But it is still very airy and perfectly blended and just beautiful without having to dissect it any more, so I will leave it at this.

First Impression - Annabel Lee, such a pretty name.

First Sniff in the Bottle - mmm...very light florals, airy with a bit of tang that keeps it from being too floral.

Wet on skin - stays true - light pretty florals. It makes me feel quite happy and pretty. Very girlish.

Dry down - Blech! Something in here just does not agree with me and it's making my throat swell up - it smells dry with faint florals now and reminds me of toilet paper? :D

A few hours later - sniffing my wrists - Annabel Lee reminds me of those fabric softener sheets you throw into the dryer. :P

I'll have to give this one a second chance.

Peony is one of my favorite notes, so I had to try this; I traded for a bottle, and am I glad!

The peony and sweet pea (another fave) are balanced out by the cucumber and sage. I can't pick out the sea lilies, but then I'm not very good at picking out faint notes at all, so I'm not surprised. I tested this a very little on the back of my hand, and it's still wafting about (faintly) two hours later.

Is the the moss that lends it a slightly spicy air?

I like this a lot, but it seems a little too bright and happy for me. It's a pretty floral with a little bit of green in it, and I picture a sweet, innocent young girl wearing this. I am not sweet, innocent or young anymore, so this isn't really me. It would be beautiful on someone else though, definitely.

I really love this scent. Sweet pea definitely seems to agree with me, and even though the pea + peonies is very sweet, the cucumber and moss are perfect balancing notes. I find it feminine and ethereal but not too little-girl for me.

My only critique would be that it lasts 5-6 hours at most on me, but I guess I'll just have to stock up.

Bottle: Super sweet peony, kinda fruity.

Preconceived notions: Peony is a floral I can actually like, other than that i'm hoping for moss and sage and maybe some cucumber. I suspect that the "fruity" feeling is from the cucumber, actually.

Wet: Very strong peony, and something I couldn't smell as well in the bottle...its a sharp floral that my nose doesn't like. Sadly, I think its the sweet pea. Sweet pea and I don't get along when its too strong--it makes me think of clean public bathroom--something about the scent of that cleaner reminds me of sweet pea. Happend with aeval, and a few others (thought there are definitely sweet pea blends that i enjoy--pink phoenix comes to mind!).

Dry: This blend on my skin=sweet pea+peony. I like the peony, but the sweet pea is just too much for me. It overpowers all the other things I wanted to smell.

Overall: It lasts for about 8 hours, which is great staying power for a fairly light sweet floral, and I think I can see many floral gals loving this one. Sadly, its just not for this non-floral-lover. No matter, I've got budding moon and peony moon for my peony needs....I just wish peony moon had annabel's staying power.

Edited by jewelbug

VERY floral. If floral isn't your thing, this wont be either. Fortunately for me I love floral so this one was amazing. I smell lilies. Lovely beautiful lilies.

I love this oil, and I can't believe I haven't reviewed it yet!

In the bottle: Moist, aquatic floral.

Wet: Summery and sweet: the sweet pea and peony are light, unassuming, but very pretty. And something about the combination smells ever so slightly like honeysuckle...this scent is pure summer to me...I can remember picking and sucking honey suckle blossoms when I was a kid, and it smelled so much like this. And the cucumber and aquatic notes give it a damp, dewy air...it smells like a warm, wet summer afternoon. Mmmm!

Dry: Like wet, only subdued...the honeysuckle-esque note is still there, but as an after thought..."sweet pea, peony, end sniff...oh, honeysuckle!" Quiet, sweet, and unassuming...this blend makes me anything but sad :P

Sweet pea definitely predominates to me, which is fine, because I love sweet pea! Touch of the cucumber and peony underneath. I don't really smell the sage or the moss. Very pretty and very feminine. Good throw.

Score: 5 out of 5.

This was almost almondy at first to my nose. Odd...then it becomes a pretty light aquatic floral.

This reminds me of the same thing every time I wear it; Bath and Body Works Juniper Breeze scent. I know there is no juniper in Annabel, but I swear to god it smells just like Juniper Breeze on my skin! It is a light and lovely scent; sweet, innocent, and a bit on the fruity side. The cucumber and sweet pea are definitely the top notes, which gives it a super feminine feel. It doesn't have a ton of throw or lasting power, but it is surely lovely enough to re apply. I like this one very much and I'm glad I have a bottle.

My body picks up more of the moss and the sweet pea before anything else. It makes me sad because I was hoping for more peony but it's there. It gives a grounding effect which keeps the sweet pea from becoming too floral death as well as the moss from becoming too salty. Just a pretty light floral aquatic. A good representation of the melancholy feelings that stem from poe in his poem of the same name.

I dragged my old imp of this out to celebrate the first day of spring, and I'm glad I did. My skin seems to amp up the cucumber, which is very nice in my opinion. Basically it smells like a cucumber wearing a sweet pea garland going swimming in a lake under warm sunshine, with a faint tang of aloe in the background (maybe the cucumber is wearing sunblock?). It's light and tends to fade, but I really enjoy it for as long as it stays on my skin.

Sweet pea is so innocent to me. I can't wear it and not feel like I'm transported a few years back to middle school. I used to have a perfume with sweet pea in it when I was about thirteen. This reminds me a little of that, though Annabel Lee is infinitely more beautiful than I remember my "thirteen" fragrance being.

I'm not much for cucumber (except on my salad) but this is so fresh and pretty paired with the sweet pea. Very nice for spring and summer. It adds to the girly charm. There is a nice green aspect that I love about this, but it isn't taking over everything else. I am betting it's the moss that is adding the green note. It isn't a bright or a sharp green, it smells more like a moist and subdued green.

Drydown....The sweet pea is reigning strong. I'm not sure about the peony....I can't tell if I am smelling that or not. The greener notes have faded and there is a soft, powdery sensation. Feels hazy and sweet.

I feel like playing a little to this everytime I wear it. Like I instantly want to act super young and girly and naive. Love it!

Love it, I love the smell of sweet peas and I can smell them strongly in this. I am so happy to have found a bottle. I can't stop smelling myself. :P

Starts off EXTREMELY reminiscent of Gibbous Moon to me; don't agree with the Blue Moon comparisons, as that was far too herbal to match this, but both Gibbous and Annabel Lee share the same watery-floral-plus-a-hint-of-cucumber.

Not terribly fond of the overpowering floral beginning, but it dries down into the faintest, most incredibly sweet soft... something. Almost faintly sugared, even. Mm. I'd need to slather it on, but I can see tracking down a bottle of this for that purpose.

ETA: The madre loves it to pieces and wears it regularly, so count that as two votes for Annabel Lee.

Edited by modernsaints

Annabel Lee smells like all the listed notes. That's probably not very helpful as far as reviews go, but I would swear I can smell every one of them in this. It's light, pretty, and airy. The sweet pea isn't making it too sweet for me, thank goodness, and I like the cucumber and moss combination. It smells vaguely planty without smelling green, and I like that.

Reminds me a bit of Blue Moon without the herbs. Maybe something like Kindly Moon. Quite lovely.

:P SWEEEEEEEEEET sugary cucumber, sweet pea & lily.... soooooooo gooooooooooooood! :D

This one is so PRETTY and unique unto itself... Just a perfectly balanced, ultra-femme, delicate, well-rounded white floral with the perfect hit of sugar blended by an expert nose! I was so exceedingly impressed with Annabel Lee - and the Lab's skill!

This is very lovely indeed, if a little short-lived on me, sadly.

I never get the cucumber scent once the oil has left the imp and got onto my skin. But the peony and sweet-pea are wonderful! The moss comes through very slowly as it dries, so the overall effect is a sweet, feminine floral that never goes off into the realms of saccharine-sweetness since it stays grounded by the moss.

For such a delicate scent, and with such a short skin-life, it has an incredible throw while it does last. It's really extremely lovely. Definite whites and pale greens.

Beautiful Annabel Lee indeed.

Edited by Tulliver

In the bottle: Sweet pea and cucumber. I had to roll the imp to mix the oils because at first all I got was sour pickles.

On: Damn those pickles! They're back! :P

Drydown: All peony and sweet pea. The moss and cucumber linger in the background. It stays just like that and fades within a few hours. The throw is limited to my personal space.

Verdict: This is a really gorgeous springtime scent. I'll have to try it in my hair next.

Edited by DogNPonyShow

I am beginning to suspect that sweet pea and I just don't get along. There is something very sugary, very sweet, breezy --- almost headache inducing about this. It's got an aquatic floral vibe, but it smells almost soapy on me.

Yup. Annabel and I didn't work out. I was hoping we'd be friends, but she seems very intent on making sure I'm so utterly turned off I will never speak to her again.

She didn't have to be THAT mean.

A polite "No Thank You" would have worked.

Just found a bottle on the forum and I have to say it's a lovely soft spring scent on me, clean, not cloyingly sweet, but with random wafts of the different scents...a breath of cucumber, then a drift of sweet pea. I think the moss grounds it somewhat. I don't smell it as a separate note, but that's probably what keeps Annabel from being too sweet and giddy for me, so I'm very happy with my bottle.

ETA: Because I only see the typos after I post.

Edited by alhbooks