Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hangingfire

Twenty-One

A tribute to New York’s 21 Club on West 52nd, formerly the speakeasy Jack & Charlie’s Puncheon Club. This is the scent of the perfect martini.

In the bottle: This smells like gunpowder, metallic and dark - makes me think of the smell of fireworks. There's also something lemony, very acid.

Wet: A very cool, clean scent, with something woody in it. It still smells a bit of gunpowder but it's watered down by something. It's aquatic and I think I smell lemon in there, or perhaps orange.

Drydown: There's something effervescent about the scent. I get citrus, lemon and possibly orange, and a really strong, aggressive scent like a bonfire or gunpowder... bitter and black smelling. There's definitely a fruity vibe to it, though, that softens the burning bitter scent.

Overall: I don't drink, I vaguely know what a Martini is, but this is the first of Beth's "pure booze" blends that I don't find incredibly repulsive (unlike Swank or The Hamptons). It doesn't smell like booze to me so much as soda water with a twist of lemon, and something very bitter. It's a clean aquatic scent, and frankly I'm rather intrigued by it, even though I wouldn't wear it. Edited by Meg

In the vial: alcohol. High-octane alcohol.

Wet: Gin, straight-up. Powerful, potent, slightly ill-making. Juniper is one of those notes that can make my throat close sometimes, and this one is making me cough :P off to wash off. If I'd remembered what Twenty-One was before I'd tried the frimp, I probably wouldn't have done.

It's a really good interpretation of the concept, it smells like a really smooth and potent cocktail--for people who don't react badly to juniper, I'd say go for it.

Twenty-one was juniper wood from start to finish. I got none of the nuance I was hoping for- just a fresh cut juniper scent that lasted about two hours.

I got this as a frimp today, and I just tried it on. I vaguely remembered the description, but didn't know exactly what it was. It's *fantastic* -- this is bright and fizzy and the most delicious slightly boozy martini scent. There's a touch of lemon in it, but mostly what I get from it is fizzy. I LOVE this scent -- it'd be the perfect summer happy scent

It also lasted about 10 whole minutes -- now it's just juniper :P I like juniper, a lot, but I loved the martini scent. I wish it lasted longer. Maybe if I try more on my skin, instead of just rubbing the imp cap on my wrist. *crosses fingers*

And again, later, it goes back to that wonderful fizzy scent. Okay, I love this scent!!!

Edited by penemuel

Twenty-One is clean, crisp juniper! I actually could not place "juniper" as a note and I did not know gin was made from juniper :P but after asking around ("HEY SMELL MY WRIST TELL ME WHAT THIS IS") and being informed that it was junipery, it all made sense. I did not think I would want to smell like a martini but I got this as a frimp from the lab and it's different, but nice. It's a swank scent, though it does flirt with pine-sol smell without ever delving into that arena, and I like it. Perfect for nights~

Edited by Precis

Nothing I can add that hasn't been said. This seems to be a very "true" scent, with little changing due to skin chemistry, as it smells pretty much like all the reviews here so far.

In bottle: Definetly boozy, with an aquatic herbal quality too it, and a touch of something citrus

On Skin: The herbal quality comes out strongly and gathers the juniper smell everyone talks about. I can swear it smells like alcohol too, but not in a bad way...or it could be my imagination. The citrus kick I was getting in the bottle is gone though.

Overall/Dry: Herbal, Piney(Juniper) Aquatic. A strange smell, but addicting to me. I keep sniffing the spot I dabbed it on, although I don't know if would wear it often. Definetly keeping the imp, but not getting a bottle.

Fun! Definitely a gin martini - Twenty One smells like gin and tonic with a slice of lemon, fizzing in a glass full of ice cubes. I can almost see the condensation dripping slowly down the outside of the glass. How wonderful to get a scent that evokes something so perfectly.

I'll keep the imp for cute sniffing value, but won't be going for a bottle of this one. I'm surprised how far this scent travels - most scents seem to stay close to my skin, but this one I can smell at arm's distance, despite only using a light touch from the imp wand.

I am not an alchohol drinker (not technically old enough to drink either), that being said I have never drank or smelled a martini.

My first thought when I smelled Twenty One I couldn't pin point the smell until right now. . . TO ME it smells like a ginger ale. I LOVE the smell of ginger ale.

I first smelled it from an imp and then tried the bottle, the same AMAZING scent and I completely love it.... off to order me a bottle... :P

This one has been on the short list of "Must try" imps for me, forever. I think I might have idealized it as a result? I was expecting a bubbly, fun scent.

There's definitely a sharp ginger ale thing going on. Thanks, Blondiekins, I was trying to peg the familiar smell. I kept thinking, "Grapefruit? Citrus?"

Unfortunately, the minute it hits skin, it goes really, hysterically W-R-O-N-G on me. :P It smells dirty and stale and bleah, I just want to wash it off. The first boozy BPAL to betray me. ::shakes fist dramatically::

Off to the sale post it goes.

Twenty-One is now my favorite all-round BPAL scent! It's fantastic for many reasons:

1. A tribute to a NY speakeasy!

2. Smell: fun, like the Roaring Twenties I picture in my dreams, but it's not too boozy for work. I think I tend to turn all scents to sweet, if there's sweet to be found, so I need a dry scent, like a good dry classic martini - I revel in this scent that stays bright, clean, and sharp as a tack.

3. It lasts! Most of the BPAL scents that I've tried that last tend to be the heavy, warm ambers and musks, but this is the first "bright" smell I've tried that could last the day.

*love*

Wow. This smells exactly like a martini, which is not as good a thing as I'd originally anticipated. I got it for my husband because he likes martinis and he's not a huge fan of typical "guy" colognes. Unfortunately, this makes him smell like an alcoholic. Might save the imp for our next Roaring 20s theme party though.

[edited] It also fades pretty fast, at least on him. It was gone after about one and a half hours.

Edited by Electric Maenad

This kinda smells like a gin and tonic! One of my favorite drinks. It's not too boozy like I thought it would be. It's pretty light and not so bad. I might just hang onto this frimp! :P

I've had this imp for a while, but never got around to more than sniffing it. This is a big change from my normal warm, oriental/amber/resin type scents!

In imp: not much scent--kind of everclear alcohol effect that you don't really smell, just feel in your nose.

Wet on skin: sharp clear juniper and something else. Suprisingly not heavily alcoholic. Sort of a cold scent, not in a bad way.

Drydown: still juniper with an edge of citrus. Still very clean and crisp. Pretty decent throw. I smell little waves of it as I move around, but not overwhelming.

Later: Still here, still clean juniper/citrus. Throw seems to stay pretty well also. Doesn't seem to morph or get eaten up by my skin like some things. It also remains "cold" which is unusual as most things seem to turn "warm" on my skin.

Verdict: I like this scent...wasn't sure I would, but it is great for when a "clean" or "refreshing" scent is the thing. I don't think it will be a bottle purchase, but I will definately keep an imp around. It kind or reminds me of a rendition of one of the "clean unisex", high end mainstream commercial perfumes, but with more character. :P

I went walking on the bluffs around Burrows Channel in Washington Park (Anacortes, Washington) in the early fall. Emerging from the Douglas fir and madrona forest, I found myself suddenly in the open, high above the water, surrounded by wind-twisted Rocky Mountain juniper. The red clay soil was littered with dusty blue fruits, creating striking contrast. Then, equally striking, came the scent of the sea amidst a resinous waft of juniper.

No offense to Ms. Parker, but closing my eyes and sniffing my wrist, I'm not at a nightclub, but on an ocean bluff overlooking the sparkling water, surrounded by ancient trees.

This was one of those rarities that smelled the same, in the imp or dried on my skin. I've never actually smelled a martini, but this is what I imagine they might smell like -- to me, it smells sorta like a flat 7-Up. Not awful, but not great, either.

I've never smelled or drunk gin, but I've smelled juniper. Love the way the thing looks, could live without it's smell.

Wet, this is juniper and booze.

As it dries, there's a light citrus note, and the booze note is dissapating. I can see where people are picking up gingerale - it kinda has that vibe but it's still a bit juniper-y. And there's something about the scent as a whole that reminds me of how my old church smelled at Christmastime, which is odd, because they use really nice looking artificial trees and live poinsettias.

Overall.. not bad but not something I'll reach for.

This didn't work on me. 100% juniper and alcohol. There was a little fizziness as I sniffed it in the imp, and I was hoping for a little of that on my skin but no dice. It does smell like a straight martini (minus the olive), so the concept is right on.

In bottle: Nasty. Sickly sweet and dry and alcoholic. Can you tell I'm not a martini drinker? I've never liked gin and prefer vodka in mixed drinks or better yet straight Scotch or Drambuie. as a result, I'm not really the right audience for this scent. Wet: Better. I'm thinking that fruitiness is the juniper berries coming out. On me it's mostly fruit over that dry herbal scent. Dry: Sweet berries and powder.

I never would have ordered Twenty-One by my own volition. I hate martinis, and boozy scents do NOT work on me. However, I was frimped this, so I tried it. THANK GOD I DID.

In the imp: Dry, light, herbal, and crisp.

Wet: Juniper! This is so light and refreshing I can hardly believe it. I get no booze at all, which makes me very happy. Just crisp, delightlful juniper.

Dry: As many have already said, this scent really changes very little, if at all. It stays true, and I'm having a hard time thinking of descriptive words other than "light", "crisp", and "refreshing". But Twenty-One really is all of those things. I'm SO glad I tried this one, it just might have to be upgraded to a big bottle.

I don't drink very often and when I do, it's not typically anything stronger than a wine spritzer. So I am unfamiliar with what a martini smells like, so please keep that in mind when reading this lol. To me - this goes on zesty and sharp - it has a strong juniper smell and is backed by something that smells like pine? The end result is something that is clean and sort of outdoorsy. It does make me think of a household cleaner - it's interesting though and I keep sniffing it even though I don't really care for it. So, not for me - but an interesting scent that's for sure!

Twenty-One is juniper. Yup, juniper gin. I wanted to try a juniper scent, but for whatever reason it is not what I was expecting. I am glad that I have this imp, it will be perfect for the right occasion. But I don’t think I need a bottle. I do like it because it is so different from everything else I have.

In bottle/imp: This smells like alcohol… sharp, boozy, but not sweet. Very dry.

Immediately on skin: I know nothing about alcoholic drinks, but this smells like Sprite or 7 Up without any sweetness and a bit of vodka.

After a little while: I know that martinis aren’t usually fizzy, but that is how this one smells. It’s a dry, fizzy boozy scent with a touch of citrus. There’s really no sweetness to it, but it smells rather fizzy and bubbly.

Overall Impressions: I’ve never smelled a martini or drank one, but this is a fun scent. It smells bubbly to me for some reason, but that might be the booze I smell. It’s a dry scent, and I think it’s very unisex. It’s a lighter fragrance and seemed to fade rather quickly into nothing on my skin.

In the bottle –Lime and soap

Wet on me – Washing powder and lime

Dry on me – Just plan washing powder

Overall – This just never worked on my skin

I have never had a regular martini so I don’t even know what one is suppose to smell like. With that in mind…

In Vial: Very nice sort of alcohol meets clean detergent

Wet: Ok this is much stronger. Smells like alcohol, lime and something darker

Drydown: This smells strongly of hard liquor. Has faint sweetness to it that reminds me of lime but I’m not sure it is. I would say this scent is an alcohol lover’s dream. Maybe not a good scent for work.

In the imp it smells very alcoholic, but on it smells more like tangy, fruity juice with just a bit of a kick. It reminds me a lot of something from my childhood, but I CANNOT remember what it is. Ooh, that's going to drive me crazy...it was either something in our backyard, or some kind of toiletry (maybe Jean Nate, or something Avon?). It's nice, and very unusual.