Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hangingfire

Twenty-One

A tribute to New York’s 21 Club on West 52nd, formerly the speakeasy Jack & Charlie’s Puncheon Club. This is the scent of the perfect martini.

Gin! Juniper! Definitely a fun boozy woozy martini; I'm not going to break it down any further than that. A fun, silly scent. I think it's a great summer blend.

I just about threw it into the "bye bye" box until I realized that it reminded me of Velvet Pink Kitty without the sugar & strawberries. It will get worn here and there. And much layering will be attempted. Especially with rose blends; I just can't help myself. Edited by Silvertree
Added Lab description.

Pine toilet cleaner. Dead on. I can see how this could be a hit with people that use a different brand to me as the association might not be the same but I can't see myself wearing this without being conscious of people thinking I should be made of porcelain - for the WRONG reason.

Nay-ta.

1/10

Juniper. That's all I get. Wet and dry, just way, way junipery. Now, on the good side, it DOES remind me of a gin martini. On the bad side... the only part I'm really reminded of is biting back my distaste for gin. Now, if I wanted to smell like a Christmas tree, I would wear this. But I don't, so...

On the other hand, I just layered it with The Perilous Parlor and now smell like a fruity/vanilla/cola mixed drink. Really maybe like gin and vanilla coke. Which is not really something I would actually drink, but it smells pretty good.

Edited by distracts

Source: Lab

Bottle: Crisp, fizzy juniper. Dry, cool and sophisticated.

Wet: Effervescent, clean boozy with juniper notes.

Drydown: It goes a bit Christmas-y on my skin, which saddens me. The bubbliness fades really quickly and the booziness begins to increase.

Dry: Gin and Seventh Generation Emerald Cypress & Fir toilet cleaner. The longer it stays on my skin, the further down the scary path it goes. Woe!

Overall: Beautiful in the bottle, but sadly my skin didn't play nicely.

Juniper! So much spicy resiny juniper that it overpowers anything else that might be in this scent on me. It's a remarkably true juniper, though, so it might be fun to mix with something else.

:::TWENTY ONE:::

Hooey! What a number! A lucky number! The number for traditionally coming of age and the rite of passage for jumping in with both feet, swallowing starlight and punishing the old innards like it's going out of style.

Twenty One certainly struck a chord of brilliantly effervescent optimism and a swooning lust for life.

Without the Lab's notes, it's difficult to explain exactly what this smells like.

Initially, there is a bright, almost citrusy note to this... Bergamot or, maybe some Grapefruit or Lime. Strange as it might sound, this is suggestive of a young, bright green patchouli...Though it might be due to the power of suggestion, there does also seem to be a boozy something to this; the wooden, caramelly kind associated with a really good cognac or brandy.

On the skin, this ERUPTS with one of the freshest woody notes encountered thus far; almost like a clean, rained on rum barrel.

Twenty One is a great fragrance for him or her.

Wickedly brazen, and shower fresh!

5/5!

21 is my favorite of the "booze" scents, and it doesn't make me smell like I've been drinking. This is light and fresh and effervescent. The lemon and juniper work together really well. It's too cold to wear this now, but it'll be great for the dog days of summer.

On openeing the bottle I am overwelmed with strong citrus spirits. On me it's a very strong lemon grass scent that goes very sweet and soft - almost like bath oil but amazing, lovely, earthy, leafy, citrusy bath oil :D

A very happy, aquatic and bright scent perfect for warm days.

Oh, sweet heavens, yes.

Absolutely gorgeous, perfect gin scent. This comes wonderfully close to smelling exactly like Hendrick's, my favorite gin. It's got a little bit of juniper, something nice and slightly effervescent, and an overall light and playful feel.

I had worried after falling hard for Bathtub Gin that I would be lost without it, but this is a nice GC substitute. I don't think it has the throw or spice or all the fizziness of Bathtub Gin, but Twenty One definitely gives me a great, wearable gin note. Adore it.

imp: a sweet, fizzy citrus scent. smells yummy!

wet: this is glorious fizzy gin with a twist.

dry: this is more straight-up gin as it dries. very juniper-y.

Straight up gin! And does not smell of booze on skin, it's mostly woody with a touch of herbs, very light and could be a perfect scent for a man. Big like! :drunk:

But I wish it had a bit more staying power, my skin eats it in about 30 min.

Edited by milica

You know, I'm kind of digging this. See, I love alcoholic notes that don't make me smell like I've been drinking the night away, and Twenty-One definitely falls into the category of "not overtly boozy". On me, Twenty-One is so insanely fresh and bright and crisp. There's a bit of citrus that makes it really effervescent, but I can't quite identify the citrus. I know it's not lemon. Though, hm..I do agree with a previous reviewer that it's a bit like lemongrass. I'm finding it really hard to describe this using notes rather than adjectives, haha. It's just so refreshing and—thank goodness—doesn't go to bathroom cleaner on me like so many other "bright" scents.

Another lab frimp that I never would have tried on my own, and I'm so very glad I ended up with it. On my skin, this is a clean, less sweet cousin of Geek Goth. I don't get a really boozy note, I get sparkling not-quite-citrus-with-a-breath-of-herby(juniper?), and it stays true from imp to skin. Love it.

Wow. Out of the imp, this is all tonic water for a fleeting moment (Schweppes, anyone?), but wait a few seconds and there is no possible doubt that this is a martini we're talking about.

Oh yes, this is gin all right! This blend has a definite fizzy feel to me - it's more G&T than martini, but let's not nitpick, shall we? ;)

This is fun, and fresh, and pretty amazing. Not something I would want to smell like, but I'm thinking this would be an excellent fragrance for bath products or other crafts.

Oh wow. This is (on me) pure alcohol. No juniper, no lemon or lime, just alcohol. It's not necessarily bad-but it almost knocked me over after I put on. Not sure I'll wear it on its own very often, but maybe it will work well layered with some of my others!

All in all: 3.5/5

Whee boozy juniper, almost piney. It's a tart and fresh alcoholic scent which stays pretty much the same when dry. I quite like it but I'm not sure if it's unique enough to keep.

This is pretty much the same in the bottle and on my skin from wet to dry- slightly fruity booze with a definite fizziness and a strong but not overpowering juniper note. It's a playful and fresh scent. I think it's nice, but since I'm generally apathetic about boozy notes and juniper, I'm not in love with it personally.

Fizzy juniper with a touch of citrus. Maybe lemon or lime? After it has time to settle on my skin, it feels almost pine-like. Which doesn't bother me. I also like how it isn't that boozy.

In the bottle: Alcohol and juniper. Very faintly.

On me: Lots and lots of juniper. That’s okay, I like the smell of juniper, it’s very similar to rosemary and I like that, too. Hint of pine, too, but I suspect that’s the juniper getting resinous.

Dry: Ack! There’s the toilet bowl cleaner. Very strong and astringent. Juniper gone bad. In a horrible, twisted, toilet-bowl kind of way.

Later: Still not any better than the toilet bowl. A clean one, no doubt, but still…

Imp to the trade pile

I love gin scents. To me, they don't smell alcoholic at all, but rather fresh and effervescent. Twenty One does not disappoint, fresh, fizzy, not sweet and very refreshing. This reminds me of Velvet Pink Kitty, but not so sweet, and to a lesser extent Spinning Metallic Pinwheel. I'll keep this along with my other 'summer' blends to enjoy when the weather is warmer.

This is straight-up alcohol on me, sharp and strong, with a touch of something piney (is that the juniper?) that I don't think I like. I've had booze scents work for me in the past, but most of those were warmer and sweeter. I think this'll have to be one for the swaps.

I've been trying to finally divide all my f/imps into "likey" and "me no likey" categories, so I've been trying a different one each night before bed. I've had a frimp of this forever and tried it for the first time recently. "Me no likey"! Thanks to the reviews in this forum, I've been able to pinpoint (I think) the offensive note for me: juniper. It's the strong piney smell that is very off putting for me. I am really grateful for all of the educated noses on this board!